Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
121 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 121

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: No more taxpayer funding for the Loew's, Jersey City mayor says
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/16 21:05
Group:
Registered Users
March 23, 2004

City Council:

Harsimus Cove residents have a stake in ensuring that the Loew's Jersey Theatre remains a cultural landmark and source of pride for Jersey City. The Friends of the Loew's has proven time and time again that they are competent in protecting the landmark especially in light of the limited resources they have. The New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority, if granted control over the theater will not have the passion that the Friends of the Loew's has and their absence will be detrimental to the Loew's.

We request that City Council grant a lease to the Friends of the Loew's.

Sincerely,

Daniel Levin, president
Harsimus Cove Association

Posted on: 2013/4/12 19:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
News like this saddens me. I'm fairly new to Jersey City, but I want to see Journal Square resurface as an area that could compete with Downtown for restaurants and attractions. The Loew's could easily be a centerpiece of that.

Posted on: 2013/4/12 19:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/8 0:52
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
truth is, hartz mountain and former mayor cucci wanted to demolish the loews and put up an office tower. that was blocked. former mayor cunningham wanted to get rid of the loews but he passed away before he could. former mayor l harvey smith took over in place of cunningham and effectively saved the theatre. when healy took office he claimed the loews was a one of a kind building, a treasure, blah blah blah. truth is, he, like so many mayors before dont see the value in having an icon like the loews remain a theatre. he would prefer to see it rezoned to residential real estate and turned in to a new beacon. hartz mountain is one of his biggest donors. they were invited to the illegally coordinated superpac meeting set up by rudy garcia and lautenberg's crony that was advertised as a way to get around campaign contribution limits and pay to play. i'm sure hartz has been whispering in healy's ear to abandon the theatre asap, do all you can to make sure the friends of the loews fails, dont renew the lease (which ends in 2 years) and sell it back to hartz.

$90k is a drop in the bucket for a landmark that provides the opportunity to increase tax revenue (jsquare area property value) and quality of life in JC many times over. Of course, Healy is just thinking of one thing right now... How do I raise money to beat fulop? He needs to stay in the pocket of his donors and make sure the money keeps flowing. His statement was a signal to Hartz and other re-developers to keep writing checks.

Posted on: 2013/4/11 19:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Vision, yes. But it isn't a great mystery - put things in there that people want to go too and they will come.

Posted on: 2013/4/11 18:33

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/13 15:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JC1945 wrote:
Look, I just think that folks on this forum should be aware of history, and not just jump on Mayor Healy. I do agree that the city should have done more oversight on the Loew's, but the reality is that the city now spends about $90,000 a year on utilities.

I think the issue is a matter of vision. Healy's vision is near-sighted: to write the minimum check necessary to avoid blame for closing the Loews, but not engage with the bigger issue of how the Loews fits into a neighborhood and regional development strategy.

Posted on: 2013/4/11 13:03

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/30 15:54
Group:
Registered Users
Look, I just think that folks on this forum should be aware of history, and not just jump on Mayor Healy. I do agree that the city should have done more oversight on the Loew's, but the reality is that the city now spends about $90,000 a year on utilities. FOL received several grants from Hudson County, etc. that would at the time, have paid for air conditioning, fire suppression, etc. However, very little of that money has been spent. And now, of course, the money that was granted is no longer sufficient to do the job (several years have gone by). There are safety issues (not just fire suppression) with the balcony. Among other things, when the theater was triplexed, a chunk of the balcony railing (actually more than railing -- concrete wall) was removed so a wall could be built.
There are representatives of the city on the board, but FOL has a lease on the theater, so without some changes there, the odds of continuing the restoration (fixing the holes in the orchestra ceiling would be nice) or changing the programming are very slim.

Posted on: 2013/4/10 19:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/16 18:43
Group:
Registered Users
I wanted to clarify a misperception and say that I am not anti-development. I just want intelligent development.

Right now, development in Jersey City happens as if each project were on an island. There's often little consideration for the impact that a project will have on local roads, traffic, sewers, emergency services, etc. Rather than recognize and work with developers to correct these negative side effects, our leaders look the other way. This is more or less the default setting unless local neighborhood groups make enough noise and force the issue.

Posted on: 2013/4/9 12:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
So maybe the title of the JJ piece should change from:

?No more taxpayer funding for the Loew's, Jersey City mayor says?

To:

?MORE taxpayer funding for the JCPD HQ so the Chief can sh** in peace, Jersey City mayor says?

If you really want to read something ironic dealing with renovations, JScare, and taxpayer monies. Check out Ord- 12-124 in the below .pdf of a JC council meeting. (14 MB) The ordinance starts on page two and goes up until page 11. It is handing over $212,152 to the owners of 1 Journal Square Plaza for renovations to the ?new? Police Headquarters. (which is a football field away from The Loews) The owner as we know is Panepinto who controls the real estate in Journal Square and some DT. Also isn?t he the P in PKG. (K ? Kuse?, G-Guarini? ) The developers the city tagged to build OVER the Path center? The towering development that totally throws off the well thought out Journal Square 2060 overall design plan. As does the 42 story building that the city caved in on over by The Summit House.

Gee The Loews could have done a lot with $212K to benefit thousand's of JC residents, but I guess the lone Chief taking a nice sh** on a new bowl in one of three bathroom?s with newly tiled 8x8 ceramic floor tiles with a nice hot shower afterwards is more important than bringing a little much needed culture to JC.

from www.cityofjerseycity.com

JC Council Meeting Minutes .pdf (14 MB)

(excerpt ..)

WHEREAS, in addition, the Landlord will construct improvements to the Premises for the benefit of Tenant provided Tenant pays for same as additional rent; and

WHEREAS, the total construction costs are estimated at $212,152.25, which shall be payable to Landlord upon the completion of the improvements; and

WHEREAS, the improvements shall be paid in part by the Jersey City Police Department in the amount of $75,000 and by the City?s Division of Real Estate in the amount of $140,000; and

(the detailed renovation list is in the .pdf these are the Comey requests. it actually says that in the specs. .gee I hope he is around after May to enjoy that nice hot shower)

Plumbing for 3 new bathrooms - 3 new toilets, 3 new sinks and (Chief's request) 1 shower area (all ADA fixtures). Plumbing for 2 bathrooms @ $5,400.00, bathroomw/shower $6,600.00). $17,400.00

Prep floor to receive new tiles in the 3 new bathrooms. Furnish and install new 8x8 ceramic floor tiles and 4" sanitary base. Includes labor & Material for the new shower in one of the bathrooms (as requested by the Chief). Floor tile installation for each of 2 bathrooms @$1,475.00; bathroom w/ tiled shower. area $2,450.00. $5,400.00

(As per Chief's request) Supply and install pre-finished hardwood flooring in both the Chief and Deputy Chief's office. $ 3,460.00

(As per Chief's request) Supply power and raceway for data company to install their jacks at 4`locations in the conference room. Requires drilling'5 holes through the conference room floor to the 3rd floor ceiling access and supply and install flush mount receptacles and data jacks in the conference room table. $ 3,250.00

Posted on: 2013/4/8 1:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

geologically speaking, can this area stand the stress that hi rise towers put on the land. Can someone chime in? I'm thinking of areas like the canyon.

A while back, I checked out a geological map of the area. If I remember correctly, JSQ area is granite / basalt (similar to midtown Manhattan). It would actually be easier to put up a high rise since you wouldn't have to drive pilings down through silt and muck to reach the bedrock.

Posted on: 2013/4/7 21:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

InsideStraight wrote:
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
From Augie Torres' column --
The city has never paid a dime for renovations, operations or most everything else. In fact, Urban Enterprise Zone monies were used to pay for required building code repairs. All other costs were by donations or what the volunteers can make by leasing the space or putting on movies and concerts. For years, city government's role in the Loew's has been disgraceful.
Of course the administration could always use another empty lot on Journal Square that could one day become parking.

It's really hard to understand why Jersey City government has not taken a more active role. Movie palaces have anchored redevelopment in many other cities.

The current [Healy] administration's record at Journal Square ranges from false promises, to neglect, to policies which have discouraged development. Any fair assessment would say they are an impediment to progress in the area.

Fulop could not do worse, but you would think he might do better in Ward C with a plan to move the area forward - including the Loews.

The political complication is that Rich Boggiano has staked out an anti-development approach (despite having a developer run his campaign and donate office space). The neighborhood has seen so many failed plans (most recently Healy's) and the disaster which is PATH Plaza, that residents are understandably skeptical of any development plans.

I don't think Rich Boggiano is anti-development as much as he is against the scope of the project(s). Putting 42 story buildings , etc begs for the elimination of the neighborhoods that surround the Square. One also has to wonder if, geologically speaking, can this area stand the stress that hi rise towers put on the land. Can someone chime in? I'm thinking of areas like the canyon.

Posted on: 2013/4/7 19:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Roads would fall under government basic services. However, a number of states have sold their highways and bridges. Some of this is just monetization (kind of like how the JCMUA was setup.. backdoor tax increase). In other cases, it is to have better management and maintenance of the roads in question. States that have private companies running roads include Indiana, Texas, and Virginia. Texas is having a private build and manage a toll road.

As for parks.. Bryant park in NYC is privately managed. The park went from a urine soaked open narcotics market to a really nice place to spend time at.

Even fire departments have been privatized successfully, though in more rural areas than urban.

Quote:

hero69 wrote:
someone said the government should stick to basic services - so i guess museums, zoos, even perhaps parks should be privatized. heck, let's privatize all the roads and highways too.

Posted on: 2013/4/7 19:28

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/13 15:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
The city has never paid a dime for renovations, operations or most everything else. In fact, Urban Enterprise Zone monies were used to pay for required building code repairs. All other costs were by donations or what the volunteers can make by leasing the space or putting on movies and concerts. For years, city government's role in the Loew's has been disgraceful.
Of course the administration could always use another empty lot on Journal Square that could one day become parking.

It's really hard to understand why Jersey City government has not taken a more active role. Movie palaces have anchored redevelopment in many other cities.

The current [Healy] administration's record at Journal Square ranges from false promises, to neglect, to policies which have discouraged development. Any fair assessment would say they are an impediment to progress in the area.

Fulop could not do worse, but you would think he might do better in Ward C with a plan to move the area forward - including the Loews.

The political complication is that Rich Boggiano has staked out an anti-development approach (despite having a developer run his campaign and donate office space). The neighborhood has seen so many failed plans (most recently Healy's) and the disaster which is PATH Plaza, that residents are understandably skeptical of any development plans.

Posted on: 2013/4/7 17:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/24 5:16
Group:
Registered Users
I love the Loews. For those complaining that their programming doesn't attract enough people, I would ask in all seriousness if you've been to a screening recently. There are typically a couple hundred people, not a couple dozen.

That said there is a lot more that can be done with the place. More concerts would be great.

Posted on: 2013/4/7 16:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
someone said the government should stick to basic services - so i guess museums, zoos, even perhaps parks should be privatized. heck, let's privatize all the roads and highways too.

Posted on: 2013/4/7 16:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users

INSIDER NOTES:

-- During the mayoral candidates debate at the Landmark Loew's Jersey Theatre, Mayor Healy made a point of saying he will not spend another dollar on the movie palace. There was a mention that the city pays $100,000 annually to the theater -- well, yes, but not the way you may think. By law, those funds went directly to utility companies to prevent pipes for bursting and to help keep the lights on. Should I say who helped push that measure through the City Council?

Posted on: 2013/4/7 16:10

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/25 16:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

EthanCrane wrote:
The Loew's is a treasure and we're lucky to have it. The movies are imaginatively curated. No one wants to see the theater in full, active, and regular use more than the hundreds of volunteers who have given their time and money to take it this far.

I'm stunned by the disdainful posts in this thread. Somehow this gorgeous theater has survived all these years. Let's fully rehab it and help it become the cultural showplace that Jersey City needs.

Yes! I agree.

Regarding the live shows many have mentioned, I want to underline the fact that the Loew's relies on volunteers for these events (as they do for their others)-- collecting tickets, ushering, cleaning up.

Also, LOL at the posters who want contemporary films.

Posted on: 2013/4/7 14:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
Quote:

Bravislava wrote:
Are you kidding me?
The theatre does classic movie screenings 1 weekend a month - do you know how expensive it is to screen current films - it's not fiscally possible for the Loews to transform into an AMC or Regal Cinemas.
The Loews can be rented out for social/cultural events, festivals and concerts by civic organizations who do not have a space of their own, or are seeking to host at a venue that is accessible to many people.
As for the arts and history not being worth funding, take a look at successful arts and historic districts, they have to be supported by taxpayers until they can stand on their own.
Just because events are not popular with you personally, doesn't mean they are not valued by the community at large. Journal Square is underserved, the neighborhood as well as the residents -old and new, and the theater provides an historic setting and preserves a piece of Jersey City's diminishing commercial architecture.
The city provides a small but important percentage of funding for the theater, which is run by 2 part time staff members as well as a slew of volunteers. Personally, I'd rather see my $$$ go into the theater rather than another private "park" on the Newport waterfront. Shame on Mayor Healy!

And to add to this well put post, each movie screening regularly attracts several hundred, sometimes even 1000-1500 people. I was at one of the silent film screening with live organ that had well over 1200 people there (maybe more - they stated this at the event, which was 'Nosferatu').

And I guess all of you griping about how it should be live music only are two new to the area to recall that Bright Eyes & Beck (Guero tour) each played separate shows here about 6-7 years ago. I'd love to see more music shows like this. But we don't have the traffic/market to fill that place with live music all the time/as the sole programming. Let's be real.

Yeah, I was at the Nosferatu showing and the line was around the block.

Keep in mind they also rent the space out for private events. If that is the more lucrative thing for them to do currently that may be why there are only public events once a month or so. Also, they do not have an air conditioning system and therefore can't run programming in the summer. If you've been there you can imagine that to install and run a cooling system could run in the hundreds of thousands of dollars if not more.

Posted on: 2013/4/7 13:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned
The government should stick to basic services and the rest should be privatized. It will be run much more efficiently and taxpayer dollars won't be wasted.

Posted on: 2013/4/7 13:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/11 21:09
Group:
Registered Users
The Loew's is a treasure and we're lucky to have it. The movies are imaginatively curated. No one wants to see the theater in full, active, and regular use more than the hundreds of volunteers who have given their time and money to take it this far.

I'm stunned by the disdainful posts in this thread. Somehow this gorgeous theater has survived all these years. Let's fully rehab it and help it become the cultural showplace that Jersey City needs.

Posted on: 2013/4/7 4:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bravislava wrote:
Are you kidding me?
The theatre does classic movie screenings 1 weekend a month - do you know how expensive it is to screen current films - it's not fiscally possible for the Loews to transform into an AMC or Regal Cinemas.
The Loews can be rented out for social/cultural events, festivals and concerts by civic organizations who do not have a space of their own, or are seeking to host at a venue that is accessible to many people.
As for the arts and history not being worth funding, take a look at successful arts and historic districts, they have to be supported by taxpayers until they can stand on their own.
Just because events are not popular with you personally, doesn't mean they are not valued by the community at large. Journal Square is underserved, the neighborhood as well as the residents -old and new, and the theater provides an historic setting and preserves a piece of Jersey City's diminishing commercial architecture.
The city provides a small but important percentage of funding for the theater, which is run by 2 part time staff members as well as a slew of volunteers. Personally, I'd rather see my $$$ go into the theater rather than another private "park" on the Newport waterfront. Shame on Mayor Healy!

And to add to this well put post, each movie screening regularly attracts several hundred, sometimes even 1000-1500 people. I was at one of the silent film screening with live organ that had well over 1200 people there (maybe more - they stated this at the event, which was 'Nosferatu').

And I guess all of you griping about how it should be live music only are two new to the area to recall that Bright Eyes & Beck (Guero tour) each played separate shows here about 6-7 years ago. I'd love to see more music shows like this. But we don't have the traffic/market to fill that place with live music all the time/as the sole programming. Let's be real.

Posted on: 2013/4/7 2:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/5/12 21:59
From Harsuimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jackp wrote:
Hello...its not downtown and not in the Heights so why would the Mayor be interested? Might as well be in Greenville....

The Heights I might agree with, but in my experience the current mayor has little or no interest in downtown. He does have interest in the PILOT money to be made on the waterfront, but that's about it. As for the actual residents of downtown, he seems to have disdain for them. It's seems to be all about what what he can get out of us and disgust for the fact that we expect something in return.

And just to be clear, our annual property tax (not a PILOT) is about $13,000, and that is not for an entire row house. It's a 1,900 sq ft condo.

That's my 2 cents.

Posted on: 2013/4/7 1:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
If legally possible, the city should sell the Loew's with the stipulation that it needs to be used as a music venue (no cults allowed) and the interior and exterior historical trimmings need to be preserved.

It has no future as a museum unto itself -- the location and amount of space are just too valuable.

Posted on: 2013/4/7 0:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
The right artists can SELL OUT the Loew's right now for multiple nights. This is what happened a year or so ago with the Jeff Mangum shows, which were amazing. I really don't understand why there aren't more music acts there unless it's actually really hard to find an act that will sell tickets while at the same time having a well-behaved audience who will sit during the shows.

I really think the Loew's has more of a future not as a throwback movie palace but as Hudson county's best music venue. It'll be a hard decision but I think the seats need to go so people can drink while they watch the act.

Posted on: 2013/4/7 0:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 18:01
From Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Hello...its not downtown and not in the Heights so why would the Mayor be interested? Might as well be in Greenville....

Posted on: 2013/4/7 0:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
This was the movie theater I went to growing up. It dates from the same era as the Loew's. It's privately owned and has managed to stay in business by showing so-called second-run films (movies that were released a month or two earlier) at a discount. I remember seeing Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark there - 6 weeks later than everyone else at school, but tickets were only $1.50! When I was a kid, the theater was kinda threadbare, but it looks like they've managed to restore the place beautifully, show movies people want to see AND use the space for concerts/cultural events. Why isn't this possible for the Loew's? There's so much potential going to waste.

www.classiccinemas.com/Content.aspx?page=18
http://www.tivolistagecrew.com/history.html

Posted on: 2013/4/6 20:13

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/5 17:12
Group:
Registered Users
Are you kidding me?

Posted on: 2013/4/6 18:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
I personally don't have a problem with taxpayer funding for Loew's, especially if it is used to anchor/revitalize JSQ. But the programming is for the birds! I saw Beck there and once frequented for the movies, but I haven't been in ages - nothing worthwhile imo. This needs to change!

Posted on: 2013/4/6 5:00

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/2 18:35
From Journal Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal
?I am not committing more taxpayers dollars to the Loew?s theater,? Healy said Tuesday afternoon at the tail-end of his two-hour debate with Fulop. ?We need another source of funding.?

Healy is an idiot. He can pour money down every other rathole, but not for a local gem that has anchored the neighborhood already, and can be a showpiece for a new commercial district.

It's happened all over the place. A classic movie palace with good programming brings new audiences, and audiences want restaurants and other amenities. It makes offices more liveable and attractive.

Healy has supported a lot of other projects without nearly the bang for the buck. Shortsighted does not begin to describe his lack of vision.

Posted on: 2013/4/6 3:48
Follow the yellow brick road.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 14:36
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
No more taxpayer funding for Loew's but PLENTY in the budget for cronies who are part time or no show workers to have cars with no city emblems, plus gas and insurance.

Posted on: 2013/4/5 21:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityFrankie wrote:
Funding for the arts is important and I hate to see another example of a cultural place getting left out in the cold. What other cultural projects are receiving city money, and which of them are anywhere near the oft overlooked Journal Square?
The management at loews has proven it can deliver cultural resources to the community, they have been doing it since their feet hit the ground back when they saved the building from destruction many years ago. What other cultural resources in the city have such a proven track record? Most of you will remember the debacle of the ?Jersey City Museum? which failed spectacularly, had zero transparency and sucked up Millions of city dollars. Loews Jersey apparently uses a tiny fraction of that sort of city funding and has been consistently delivering culture and quality of life in a neighborhood which appears to have very little else in the way of city sponsored ANYTHING. If the Loews Jersey is shuttered what cultural stuff will remain in the area?

What is with this inherent belief that anything "arts" is good for the community or for the people?

Having a park so people can walk and be active is inherently good for the community and people.

Having a place where people can watch ass old movies is not inherently good. You might enjoy the "arts" or whatever you define as the "arts" but I enjoy go karting. Why does one get tax payer funded money and the other does not?

Posted on: 2013/4/5 20:15

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017