Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
135 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 135

more...

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 10 »

Teavana
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/6 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
As a new convert to tea over coffee, I'm excited to see signage for this place opening in the newport mall.

Posted on: 2013/9/1 22:32

Re: Future of Newport Mall
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks I'm not down by Exchange much.

But yes there is a Qdoba at Newport Mall where the old Mexican place was.

Posted on: 2013/7/17 19:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
There is a Potbelly Sandwich shop at Exchange Place fyi :)

Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
At least JC (IMO) isn't terribly overrun by Subway yet. One at the mall and one by Grove...I assume there's at least one in Hoboken and probbaly others outside of Downtown but nowhere near Dunkin levels.

When I was at RU there were 3 in walking distance of me. They were outdoing Dunkin!

I was always more of a Quiznos fan (which, ironically, is what DD is replacing in Newport). Potbelly is also OK, I wonder if they will be making a move across from NYC anytime soon.

Qdoba and Crisp are nice additions to the food court.
[/quote]

Posted on: 2013/7/16 21:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Wait... What?! There is Qdoba at the Newport Mall?? Say what you will, but when you are in the food for some cheap, quick tex-mex, those Chipotle/Qdoba burritos are just great. And, Crisp is truly great. Fresh, organic ingredients, and tasty falafel sandwiches. I guess I need to stop at the mall one of these days. It's been a while.

Posted on: 2013/7/16 20:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

daisyduke wrote:
There is also a subway 2 blocks away from the Grove Street one on Montgomery! So I think it is getting overrun.

Over run by whom ? I've been inside a few Subway shops, it smells, it's hot, and their coldcuts are precut. In this area I like Blimpie Base #3 the best, and the owners/workers are clean and easy to communicate with. SW is just another corporate franchise that anyone and their mother can own. Blimpies started in Hudson County by a few friends and has been a local staple ever since.

Posted on: 2013/7/16 18:04
Get on your bikes and ride !

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/14 16:17
Group:
Registered Users
There is also a subway 2 blocks away from the Grove Street one on Montgomery! So I think it is getting overrun.

Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
At least JC (IMO) isn't terribly overrun by Subway yet. One at the mall and one by Grove...I assume there's at least one in Hoboken and probbaly others outside of Downtown but nowhere near Dunkin levels.

When I was at RU there were 3 in walking distance of me. They were outdoing Dunkin!

I was always more of a Quiznos fan (which, ironically, is what DD is replacing in Newport). Potbelly is also OK, I wonder if they will be making a move across from NYC anytime soon.

Posted on: 2013/7/16 16:59

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/29 17:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:

Potbelly is located at Exchange Place

Posted on: 2013/7/16 16:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/7/16 16:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/22 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
I don't mind the mall so much, as long as I'm not living right by it. The movie theater can use an update.

Posted on: 2013/7/16 15:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/16 11:48
Group:
Registered Users
Starbucks coffee has more caffeine than Dunkin, so I don't think it's the caffeine that keeps people going to Dunkin. I will always opt for DD over Starbucks because I can't stand the taste of Starbucks.
Why do people do to DD? I can tell you why I do-- because it's there when I want coffee and it's not Starbucks. My favorite coffee is the coffee I brew at home, though. Oh, and Dames is good too.

Posted on: 2013/7/16 11:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Oh don't even get me started on Subway! No idea why people go there, especially the one on Grove Street when there is a real deli (decent enough) right next door, equally as cheap, where they have real cold cuts.

Posted on: 2013/7/15 19:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
The coffee at Dunkin does a number on my stomach. I generally avoid it.

I get the donuts or munchkins for work sometimes for birthdays. I get a sandwich or bagel sometimes if I'm lazy because like I said, there are so many.

Off the top of my head...you have the one by the Hoboken PATH, you have the one on Newark Ave in Hoboken right on the JC border, then by the tunnel you have one 18th, 14th, and 12th, now one in Newport? Then one in the Shop Rite. So within one mile or so, that's 7! I mean really.

Honestly if I worked at Newport I think I'd go to Starbucks (but what big companies don't have free coffee these days) but if I wanted breakfast I'd probably go the food court or one of the several places on Washington...or the Dunkin by the PATH or NJT or MTA stop I came from because you know there is one...

It's like Subway, just total saturation for mediocre product. Don't get the model.

Posted on: 2013/7/15 19:47

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/6 14:22
Group:
Registered Users
DD found a perfect spot for the 10am and 3pm coffee rush from the many office workers near by. Newport has been expanding and expanding, but overall there are still many spaces available since many stores relocated within the mall.

Posted on: 2013/7/9 12:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/5 2:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I was having this same conversation with a friend last week... my theory:

DD coffee contains a higher percentage caffeine than any other brands... I think it's a function of addiction. The coffee itself inst particularly special, but I think it provides a better morning buzz...

There are plenty of other factors at play - but it's the only reason I can see for people really liking I what I think is mediocre coffee.

Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
Good thing. It's not like I can't walk to 4 (off the top of my head) Dunkins as it is.

I don't get the business model, do that many people go there?

Dude I have the same question, I think they have just built an awesome brand via all their ads. It's certainly not the quality of the food or coffee that brings people en masse.

Posted on: 2013/7/8 14:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
Good thing. It's not like I can't walk to 4 (off the top of my head) Dunkins as it is.

Dude I have the same question, I think they have just built an awesome brand via all their ads. It's certainly not the quality of the food or coffee that brings people en masse.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 21:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users

So basically New Yorkers end up spending more by coming here to shop.......if this law could be enforceable. Good luck trying to do that.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 21:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

Adonis wrote:
And how come the 99% aren't railing against all those New Yorkers engaging in tax evasion by shopping in NJ and not declaring their out-of-state purchases when they file their NY taxes.

Sales taxes aren't charged based on where you live, they're charged based on the point of sale.

If someone who lives in NYC shops in Newport Mall, they are not required to pay NYC sales tax rates.

Yes, I know they are not required to pay NYC sales tax rates at the same time they make the purchase in Newport Mall. However they are required to pay the difference between the cheaper NJ rate and the NY rate when they file their personal tax return. They are supposed to pay this calculated difference to NY since they live in NY. It's called Use Tax. Thousands of people are committing this form of tax evasion in NY costing the people of NY millions of dollars in tax revenue. But nobody cares because it's simply a form of the everyday tax fraud committed by everyday people instead of being isolated to the "rich". But it's still tax evasion.

http://www.tax.ny.gov/pubs_and_bulls/ ... e_tax_for_individuals.htm

Posted on: 2013/7/3 19:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/7/3 18:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
A posting by Newport Mall on facebook says Dunkin Donuts is coming/opening on the second floor.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 16:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Adonis wrote:
And how come the 99% aren't railing against all those New Yorkers engaging in tax evasion by shopping in NJ and not declaring their out-of-state purchases when they file their NY taxes.

Sales taxes aren't charged based on where you live, they're charged based on the point of sale.

If someone who lives in NYC shops in Newport Mall, they are not required to pay NYC sales tax rates.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 12:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/30 16:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
Quote:

Do you seriously think that for a made in China item, iPhone should cost so much?

Simplistic much!? So, in your view, an iPhone should sell for exactly what it costs to manufacture? I am sorry, but that is downright silly. While most estimates peg the manufacturing costs of an iPhone base model at a little over 200 (full retail price is close to 600) there are TONS of costs associated with the design and production of an item (especially technology-related ones) that need to be recouped. Entire teams of hardware and software engineers, UI designers, support staff, and countless others, are required to bring these items to life. How do you propose these people get paid, or for a company to have an incentive to continually innovate and bring new products to market??

Most items like cell phones, video game systems,and dvd players are sold at a loss. The money is made back up on the sale of accessories, subscriptions, and other items associated with the product purchased.

Posted on: 2013/7/2 18:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
Where is the Starbucks going to be in the mall?

Posted on: 2013/7/2 18:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Wait, people really don't know the profit margins on clothing? Wow. Wait'll they learn about the cost of food at a restaurant

Posted on: 2013/6/30 2:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
CdeCoincy wrote:

Quote:
Not at all - the saleslady told us to always ask the cashiers if they had any coupons that day. That bag of flyers that show up every Thursday has the coupon too, I think. The final cost of a $55.00 shirt was $29.99. This realyl makes me wonder what the cost to Macy's is - apparently a pittance, and whether the sales staff is instructed to cultivate certain types of customers by offering the coupon rather than waiting to be asked.

Apparently, you did not understand what i was getting at. You had stated in your earlier post:

Quote:
The whole experience was bizarre - he opened an account: 15% off. The saleslady had a magic coupon: 25% off, the sign above the rack said 10% off. I bought 3 Lipshitzes for less than the price on the label of one. Interesting way to run a business.

If you had looked the link i provided, you would see how you and your friend's buying experience occurred. Hopefully, you will look at the link this time around. I mean it's pretty obvious what a large part of capitalism is based on.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/3f06b218-d36a-11e2-b3ff-00144feab7de,Authorised=false.html?_i_location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ft.com%2Fcms%2Fs%2F0%2F3f06b218-d36a-11e2-b3ff-00144feab7de.html&_i_referer=http%3A%2F%2Fjclist.com%2Fmodules%2Fnewbb%2Freply.php%3Ftopic_id%3D29075#axzz2XZxkUmfj

Posted on: 2013/6/30 1:38

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/7 16:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Adonis wrote:
[quote]
Piert1025 wrote:
The mall generates thousands of dollars in tax revenue. Many ny'ers come here for the 3.5% tax rate.... [quote]

They really should end the discounted sale tax rate and bring it to the normal NJ state rate of 7.0%. No need for it anymore.

And how come the 99% aren't railing against all those New Yorkers engaging in tax evasion by shopping in NJ and not declaring their out-of-state purchases when they file their NY taxes. All of them are robbing NY of millions of dollars of taxes every year. Oh that's right. I forgot. It's only other, rich people that engage in tax evasion. Not ordinary, middle-class people. Not on an every-day basis. No way.

1. We live in NJ therefore I'd rather have my tax revenue go to NJ and Hudson county, no matter the source.

2. What does 'Occupy Wall St', the 99% vs the 1% or anything of the sort have anything to do with you complaining about a foot trail connecting HP to the river?

3. If you are so worried about the 'tax cheats' of NY, why don't you file a complaint with the NYS Dept of Taxation and the NY attorney general?

I think you've officially killed this post with you feeble and asinine attempt to be witty.

Posted on: 2013/6/29 17:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned
I agree a lot of money goes into innovation, but even more goes to bank accounts of the overpaid CEOs. Why is the cost of prescription drugs so high in US? It cannot be justified by the R&D cost alone.

Posted on: 2013/6/29 15:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Do you seriously think that for a made in China item, iPhone should cost so much?

Simplistic much!? So, in your view, an iPhone should sell for exactly what it costs to manufacture? I am sorry, but that is downright silly. While most estimates peg the manufacturing costs of an iPhone base model at a little over 200 (full retail price is close to 600) there are TONS of costs associated with the design and production of an item (especially technology-related ones) that need to be recouped. Entire teams of hardware and software engineers, UI designers, support staff, and countless others, are required to bring these items to life. How do you propose these people get paid, or for a company to have an incentive to continually innovate and bring new products to market??

Posted on: 2013/6/29 13:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned
All goods sold in this country are overpriced to the extent that the manufacturer makes huge profits. And this also gives them the opportunity to reduce the prices and still sell stuff when they want to get rid of old stock. Do you seriously think that for a made in China item, iPhone should cost so much?

Posted on: 2013/6/29 12:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Asif wrote:
CdeCoincy wrote:

Quote:
The whole experience was bizarre - he opened an account: 15% off. The saleslady had a magic coupon: 25% off, the sign above the rack said 10% off. I bought 3 Lipshitzes for less than the price on the label of one. Interesting way to run a business.

You are kidding right???

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/3f06b218-d3 ... eab7de.html#axzz2XZxkUmfj

Not at all - the saleslady told us to always ask the cashiers if they had any coupons that day. That bag of flyers that show up every Thursday has the coupon too, I think. The final cost of a $55.00 shirt was $29.99. This realyl makes me wonder what the cost to Macy's is - apparently a pittance, and whether the sales staff is instructed to cultivate certain types of customers by offering the coupon rather than waiting to be asked.

Posted on: 2013/6/29 11:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
CdeCoincy wrote:

Quote:

You are kidding right???

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/3f06b218-d3 ... eab7de.html#axzz2XZxkUmfj

Posted on: 2013/6/29 5:16

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 10 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact