Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
112 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 112

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 »

Re: Future of Newport Mall
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:

Personally, I hope the whole east side of Marin from at least 2nd to the north end of Newport is redeveloped into a mixed used community of residents and office space with ground floor retail and corridors to the Hudson, with incentives for people to live and work in the community.

I agree, and that was basically my original point, but a few folks flamed me and told me to accept the mall the way it is because it's profitable, and if I don't like it I should move :)

I personally think any store in JC that sells anything that would cause a person making 50k or less a yr to cringe should be shutdown cause you, that's how we move JC forward. In fact, electronics are so expensive so please bring in more bookstores...cause that's what's in with kids these days.

forget about attracting high skilled labor who are highly educated and have technical skills to JC...screw those people and where they choose to live. We should be attracting the low skill low wage worker to JC...cause you know, "insert some rhetoric about the middle class." Forget about educating that middle class worker to someday earn 6 figures, let's just give him or her "subsidized" housing so he or she can remain here for the rest of his life..you know, the american dream. And if any store opens up that the middle class worker can't afford then we demand they close!

Very forward thinking guys!

Posted on: 2013/6/28 22:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:

Personally, I hope the whole east side of Marin from at least 2nd to the north end of Newport is redeveloped into a mixed used community of residents and office space with ground floor retail and corridors to the Hudson, with incentives for people to live and work in the community.

I agree, and that was basically my original point, but a few folks flamed me and told me to accept the mall the way it is because it's profitable, and if I don't like it I should move :)

Tommy - that the mall is profitable, that $1.5 million is too much for LITM, that people leave downtown when their kids reach school age, etc. are either impressions or based on very small samples. I remember when one of the posters insisted that Blood Bath and Beyond couldn't be profitable. I scratched my ass wondering since: 1. As a not very persistent shareholder, I was never able to get store by store data 2. My shares continued to rise unabated and I was able to sell at a handsome profit.
My point, take most of what's posted as undocumented/unresearched hunches.

Posted on: 2013/6/28 22:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:

Posted on: 2013/6/28 21:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
There is also a place called Teavana opening on the second floor of Newport Mall. Bulk tea at very high prices (compared to Ten Ren, and others). Not sure if they will have tables and chairs.
http://www.teavana.com/

I went to Macy's with a friend last week because he needed a suit and shoes quickly for an unanticipated interview. The whole experience was bizarre - he opened an account: 15% off. The saleslady had a magic coupon: 25% off, the sign above the rack said 10% off. I bought 3 Lipshitzes for less than the price on the label of one. Interesting way to run a business.

Posted on: 2013/6/28 20:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned
There are two on the waterfront - Newport and Exchange.

Quote:
Wow -- that makes 4 Downtown now! ...but I like Dunkin -- or Mom & Pops better...

Posted on: 2013/6/28 20:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
I keep forgetting this place exists. I'm going to make a trip over there sometime this weekend to give them a try!

Posted on: 2013/6/28 20:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Don't forget Brewshot! It wasn't until recently that I finally tried their coffee, but I was thoroughly impressed. The service was good, the product itself was great (strong flavor, with a nice hint/touch of nuttiness) and the place is very inviting.

I hope they are doing well, but it is hard to tell. They are almost hidden (back area of Liberty Harbor North, southeast corner) and the place was dead when I stopped in on a weekend morning, primetime for coffee and pastries.

Yelp Reviews

Posted on: 2013/6/28 19:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
It's good that there are soon to be an equal amount of good coffee shops in JC to offset the Starbucks in this town. Coffee shops with great coffee:

1. Dames (Counter Culture beans)
2. Warehouse (Intelligensia beans)
3. Word Bookstore's cafe coming soon (Stumptown beans)

Posted on: 2013/6/28 18:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Wow -- that makes 4 Downtown now! ...but I like Dunkin -- or Mom & Pops better...

Quote:

Dahood wrote:
Starbucks is coming to Newport mall. Saw it here:
Starbucks

1. Newark Ave at Grove Street
2. Waterfront
3. Target
4. Newport Mall

Posted on: 2013/6/28 18:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned
Starbucks is coming to Newport mall. Saw it here:
Starbucks

Posted on: 2013/6/28 18:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RUrahrah wrote:
i love this mall - i grew up going to it, i saw my first movie at this mall. i have no problems of its existence. I live in HP and walk here with such ease - Macy's had an awesome sale this weekend and we made out like bandits.

my only suggestion is an upgrade in stores - add a jcrew, applestore, banana republic, abercrombie, Delias, madewell, etc HECK a stretch but a Bloomingdales too. Also, some renovations in the mall and some stores, the dept stores need a facelift in layout/carpet etc. i am surprised its not there but an Old Navy would do well here.

The food court is great too, indian food is some really good stuff, opened Qdoba recently. I am big can of its convenience.

and for those who park in the deck - just park in HP and walk, literally minutes away. decks in JC will always charge.

Agree all around.

I live north of the mall now, but I still can walk over. And never had any issues parking at HP.

Only issue is sometimes the coupons from places like Macy's make it a little too convenient.

I love just popping in for Taco Bell, CVS, killing multiple birds with the same stone.

My guess is that Sears and/or JC Penny will go out of business in the next few years, and that Lord and Taylor and/or Nordstrom's will come in.

Posted on: 2013/6/17 20:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

blanquiita wrote:
[quote]

Twenty + years ago, some NY state agency actually sent people to take pictures of any NY state license plates at the mall. Not sure what became of it.

I remember that.. It is almost impossible to enforce someone buying a pair of jeans and not paying the required USE tax when going back to say Staten Island.

However, NY state did have unmarked cars follow NY cars to large liquor stores (think Buy-Rite sized) and then nail people making large purchases of booze. I vaguely remember some company got busted for buying booze for their office party and not paying the use and excise taxes due.

I vaguely recall Dinkins floating a half-assed idea to set up Customs-style checkpoints at all the Hudson River Crossings to catch New Yorkers coming back with undeclared goods and forcing them to pay sales tax. I would've loved to have seen the traffic backups at the tunnels and GWB if that had ever come to fruition. And what about people coming into NYC by mass transit, especially at rush hour. Yeah, totally workable and practical.

Posted on: 2013/6/17 19:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

blanquiita wrote:
[quote]

Twenty + years ago, some NY state agency actually sent people to take pictures of any NY state license plates at the mall. Not sure what became of it.

I remember that.. It is almost impossible to enforce someone buying a pair of jeans and not paying the required USE tax when going back to say Staten Island.

However, NY state did have unmarked cars follow NY cars to large liquor stores (think Buy-Rite sized) and then nail people making large purchases of booze. I vaguely remember some company got busted for buying booze for their office party and not paying the use and excise taxes due.

Posted on: 2013/6/17 19:15

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
i mean, been back here for over a year now, HP parking isnt bad. i park in front my building (Hamilton Square) so easy. we have two cars too and have no problem.

Maybe im just lucky.

Posted on: 2013/6/17 18:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/4 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RUrahrah wrote:

and for those who park in the deck - just park in HP and walk, literally minutes away. decks in JC will always charge.

Yeah because parking in HP isn't hard enough. Also, you need a permit to park longer than 2 hours Monday through Friday.

Jersey City residents get $1 off parking. All you have to do is show your driver's license with your JC address at the information desk by the elevators.

And, whatever you do, DO NOT park in the Shoprite/BBB/Pep Boys and walk over to the mall. They'll have your car towed before you even get to the mall.

Posted on: 2013/6/17 17:29

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
i love this mall - i grew up going to it, i saw my first movie at this mall. i have no problems of its existence. I live in HP and walk here with such ease - Macy's had an awesome sale this weekend and we made out like bandits.

my only suggestion is an upgrade in stores - add a jcrew, applestore, banana republic, abercrombie, Delias, madewell, etc HECK a stretch but a Bloomingdales too. Also, some renovations in the mall and some stores, the dept stores need a facelift in layout/carpet etc. i am surprised its not there but an Old Navy would do well here.

The food court is great too, indian food is some really good stuff, opened Qdoba recently. I am big can of its convenience.

Posted on: 2013/6/17 17:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/4 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Adonis wrote:
[quote]
Piert1025 wrote:
The mall generates thousands of dollars in tax revenue. Many ny'ers come here for the 3.5% tax rate.... [quote]

They really should end the discounted sale tax rate and bring it to the normal NJ state rate of 7.0%. No need for it anymore.

And how come the 99% aren't railing against all those New Yorkers engaging in tax evasion by shopping in NJ and not declaring their out-of-state purchases when they file their NY taxes. All of them are robbing NY of millions of dollars of taxes every year. Oh that's right. I forgot. It's only other, rich people that engage in tax evasion. Not ordinary, middle-class people. Not on an every-day basis. No way.

Posted on: 2013/6/17 17:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
[quote]
Piert1025 wrote:
The mall generates thousands of dollars in tax revenue. Many ny'ers come here for the 3.5% tax rate.... [quote]

They really should end the discounted sale tax rate and bring it to the normal NJ state rate of 7.0%. No need for it anymore.

And how come the 99% aren't railing against all those New Yorkers engaging in tax evasion by shopping in NJ and not declaring their out-of-state purchases when they file their NY taxes. All of them are robbing NY of millions of dollars of taxes every year. Oh that's right. I forgot. It's only other, rich people that engage in tax evasion. Not ordinary, middle-class people. Not on an every-day basis. No way.

Posted on: 2013/6/17 16:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

K-Lo wrote:
As long as I have to pay to park, the mall is my shopping of last resort.

You don't have to pay to park the mall never had a parking lot to beging with, it just happens to be built next to a parking lot just like the one across from Macys on 33rd St. in Manhattan. So another words park on the street.

Posted on: 2013/6/17 16:27
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
it seems to me that they could really enhance the mall and the entire area if they put the parking lot underground, put in some street facing retail on marin and did something with those fugly moderate income buildings - maybe mid-rise.

Posted on: 2013/6/17 15:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Piert1025 wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Let me make my point more clear, I think it is useful to have some of the retail options that are available in Newport Mall, I just think that in the 2013 version of Jersey City, there can be a better use of that space. In 1987, I'm sure Newport Mall was viewed as a Godsend. But remember, urban living was not very popular in 1987.

I don't HATE the mall (I don't particularly like it either, but I do go there a couple of times a year if I need something in a pinch). It's just that having a suburban-style mall smack dab in the densest neighborhood of the nation's 2nd densest city seems like a colossal misuse of space.

The concept of a mall is a suburban concept, conceived as a direct result of the suburban boom of the 1950s and based around lots of space, highways, and most importantly CARS and parking. The original concept of a mall was a transformation of "Main Street" retail. A place where people can drive in with their cars, have ample parking, and once parked have access to many different stores in one central location.

In a dense, walkable, city environment, do we really need the "Main Street reinvented" model? We have population scale/density, walkability, as well as organic "Main Streets" (Newark Ave, Grove Street, Jersey Ave, etc), so why do we need a massive building with parking to provide retail shopping?

Just trying to think creatively here ... this may be a stretch but, conceptually, what about transforming the footprint of the mall building/parking structure into a street-grid, and give all of the retailers who are currently renting spaces in the mall the option of having a storefront on street level? I don't know much about the business side of brick and mortar retail, but do you think retailers (say, H&M) would do better or worse with that setup versus the current setup?

Anyway, my original question in this post was, do you ever see the space that the mall occupies being transformed, as a result of the continually changing demographic and lifestyle of downtown residents? Some of you guys engaged in the discussion with intelligent and relevant answers but many others replied with rather nasty, irrelevant, and/or vague replies :)

The mall generates thousands of dollars in tax revenue. Many ny'ers come here for the 3.5% tax rate.... The taxes and revenue create jobs and allocate funds for other gentrification projects benefiting those who are complaining the most on this post about the mall... I have news for you... all 5 boroughs of NYC have malls.... all these malls generate tax revenue, jobs and spawn growth of the neighborhood they surround....

This has to be the stupidest thread ever on jc list... The mall is there and there to stay.... Build a bridge (specifically one that connects you from HP to the river) and get over it!

HA!!!!!! Great post.

Posted on: 2013/6/17 11:28

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/7 16:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Let me make my point more clear, I think it is useful to have some of the retail options that are available in Newport Mall, I just think that in the 2013 version of Jersey City, there can be a better use of that space. In 1987, I'm sure Newport Mall was viewed as a Godsend. But remember, urban living was not very popular in 1987.

I don't HATE the mall (I don't particularly like it either, but I do go there a couple of times a year if I need something in a pinch). It's just that having a suburban-style mall smack dab in the densest neighborhood of the nation's 2nd densest city seems like a colossal misuse of space.

The concept of a mall is a suburban concept, conceived as a direct result of the suburban boom of the 1950s and based around lots of space, highways, and most importantly CARS and parking. The original concept of a mall was a transformation of "Main Street" retail. A place where people can drive in with their cars, have ample parking, and once parked have access to many different stores in one central location.

In a dense, walkable, city environment, do we really need the "Main Street reinvented" model? We have population scale/density, walkability, as well as organic "Main Streets" (Newark Ave, Grove Street, Jersey Ave, etc), so why do we need a massive building with parking to provide retail shopping?

Just trying to think creatively here ... this may be a stretch but, conceptually, what about transforming the footprint of the mall building/parking structure into a street-grid, and give all of the retailers who are currently renting spaces in the mall the option of having a storefront on street level? I don't know much about the business side of brick and mortar retail, but do you think retailers (say, H&M) would do better or worse with that setup versus the current setup?

Anyway, my original question in this post was, do you ever see the space that the mall occupies being transformed, as a result of the continually changing demographic and lifestyle of downtown residents? Some of you guys engaged in the discussion with intelligent and relevant answers but many others replied with rather nasty, irrelevant, and/or vague replies :)

The mall generates thousands of dollars in tax revenue. Many ny'ers come here for the 3.5% tax rate.... The taxes and revenue create jobs and allocate funds for other gentrification projects benefiting those who are complaining the most on this post about the mall... I have news for you... all 5 boroughs of NYC have malls.... all these malls generate tax revenue, jobs and spawn growth of the neighborhood they surround....

This has to be the stupidest thread ever on jc list... The mall is there and there to stay.... Build a bridge (specifically one that connects you from HP to the river) and get over it!

Posted on: 2013/6/16 16:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
People probably buy more in a place that induces a bit of class anxiety.

Quote:

Won't disagree with you on the food part, but the shopping part is kind of going against what people are saying here. Nicer (more expensive) shops are starting to open up.

Posted on: 2013/6/16 14:26

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/7 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

we are cost effective (cheap) shoppers who also like to eat out cost effectively (cheap)

Won't disagree with you on the food part, but the shopping part is kind of going against what people are saying here. Nicer (more expensive) shops are starting to open up.

Posted on: 2013/6/16 5:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
The tenants at Newport Mall have done their homework and prospective tenants would have market researched the socioeconomic and demographic make-up of the area and either conclude that they sign-up for a lease or not, based on that research.
The Newport Mall is a true, reality check reflection of our community...... we are cost effective (cheap) shoppers who also like to eat out cost effectively (cheap).

Posted on: 2013/6/16 5:13
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/7 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I think they are trying to make Newport Mall for the 1% or something.

If they really want to do that, they'll gets rid of that annoyingly large Pay/Half.

Posted on: 2013/6/16 4:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/6/16 1:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
GAP announced they were closing 34% of their stores by the end of 2013. Look it up.

When the mall first opened there were many highend stores in it. The mall was supposed to be for NYers to come over by Path and shop. Also to create a buzz about "Newport City" not Jersey City for condo sales. (/apartment rentals because of the economy) Well it didn't work out the mall was a ghost town. Lower end stores started to come in. People from all over JC started to shop there killing all other retail in JC.

Believe it or not there used to be some decent stores around JC until the mall came.

Posted on: 2013/6/16 0:32

Edited by neverleft on 2013/6/16 0:49:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
As long as I have to pay to park, the mall is my shopping of last resort.

Posted on: 2013/6/16 0:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
The no toy stores thing is interesting, especially since there's no trivial explanation like a big box Toys r Us next door -- Target has a toy section but it can't be that comprehensive.

Maybe toy stores in urban areas are especially prone to theft/fraud? The one time a criminal somehow used my debit card while it was still in my possession it was at a Manhattan Toys r us.

Maybe it's the demographics of the area? It seems like many families, especially the more well off ones, leave Jersey City right around when their kids hit school age.

As far as the gap leaving, over the last 10 years it's turned into banana republic with jeans -- no big loss in my mind.

In any case, the mall does seem a bit richer than most of its patrons but perhaps this is by design.

Quote:

FGJCNJ1970 wrote:
Did everyone notice?

The GAP... Lady's Gap upstairs and i think Baby's Gap...

GONE. All Gone.

The Guy shop now going to be a Michael Kors store. The upstairs is going to be something else female oriented as well
I'm really starting to wonder what is up.

And to the previous poster, there are no toy stores. (they do pop up stores around Christmas and then they disappear).

No pet stores either.

I think they are trying to make Newport Mall for the 1% or something.

FG

Posted on: 2013/6/16 0:21

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017