Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
159 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 159

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 »

Re: Future of Newport Mall
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/25 3:38
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Maybe they should take a cue from Short Hills and get rid of the food court and toy stores. Riveredge doesn't have a food court either.

The mall at short hills has a toy store...
http://www.childsplayspot.com/contactus.html

Wish they would branch out and open up at Newport. They are the same type of toy store as Jack's on Jersey Avenue was. Hated when Jack's closed up shop; it was the best place for unique birthday gifts.

Posted on: 2013/6/15 23:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Maybe they should take a cue from Short Hills and get rid of the food court and toy stores. Riveredge doesn't have a food court either.

No way! The spicy Cajun bourbon chicken is the only reason I ever go the damn mall, besides an occasional Craftsman tool run.

Posted on: 2013/6/15 23:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users

The upscaling of the mall really started within the last 5 to 7 years....what surprises me though is the downturn hasn't really had any impact on it.

It makes me wonder if people with moderate or little means will still see it as a destination to come or even browse.

Posted on: 2013/6/15 23:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/15 3:35
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Did everyone notice?

The GAP... Lady's Gap upstairs and i think Baby's Gap...

GONE. All Gone.

The Guy shop now going to be a Michael Kors store. The upstairs is going to be something else female oriented as well
I'm really starting to wonder what is up.

And to the previous poster, there are no toy stores. (they do pop up stores around Christmas and then they disappear).

No pet stores either.

I think they are trying to make Newport Mall for the 1% or something.

FG

Posted on: 2013/6/15 21:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned

Posted on: 2013/6/15 20:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned
The mall is certainly getting better slowly. My wife goes there to shop sometimes and she has been telling me that there are better stores and more food options now. Hope they have an Apple store some day.

Posted on: 2013/6/15 11:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
I actually only live a couple of blocks from the mall but I always drive. Yup, I like driving.
Quote:

PathH8Tr wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Don't you live near a Path or light rail station? It never pays, in time or finances, to drive to the Newport Mall unless you don't live close to a station.

Not the point. I had to have the car to transport materials. It sucked for all reasons it didn't need to.

Posted on: 2013/4/25 2:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Don't you live near a Path or light rail station? It never pays, in time or finances, to drive to the Newport Mall unless you don't live close to a station.

Not the point. I had to have the car to transport materials. It sucked for all reasons it didn't need to.

Posted on: 2013/4/24 23:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/4/24 20:42

Newport Mall Parking Epic Fail
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
Ran in to do some errands at Newport Mall. Always think it's a mistake due to the continuous parking fiasco's we've found ourselves in (once we couldn't get out as no exits were working, had to drive around and call someone). The parking meter had sign out of service, walked to another, I counted 12 people in line. One dude said he was charged more at the meter just standing in line waiting - I gave him the .25cents. 12 people! It was NUTS. And it was mid-morning? People were furious. The credit card machine wasn't working on the one they made us use either. Newport parking? You suck man.

Posted on: 2013/4/24 20:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
Something could be done to fix the pedestrian crossing from Newport Mall to the PATH station at Washington blvd, which is chaos at rush hour. The timing of the traffic light favors the cars too heavily and the pedestrians get sick of waiting and just start crossing whenever there's enough safety in numbers.

Apparently the steel structure next to the Newport PATH was going to be part of a never-built pedestrian overpass. They ought to build the overpass, or else dig a new tunnel directly from the mall to the PATH platform (anyone coming from the west currently backtracks quite a ways).

Posted on: 2013/4/5 18:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Based on the RU to the NCAA metric, I would say sooner. That's probably still after I'm dead though.

Posted on: 2013/4/5 16:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Mooby, so will it happen sooner than, or later than Rutgers getting into the NCAA tournament? :)

Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
As the OP, I'll chime in again to make my original point more clear. My problem is not that of a prima donna who cannot or prefers not to walk X number of blocks out of the way to access the waterfront. Physically and logistically, yes, I can manage my way jogging around the Newport Mall. My point is that there is a more efficient way to use the space that the Newport Mall occupies, and to speculate on how long we think that it takes before the developers realize that the land can be used differently?

My speculation is that we'll all likely be dead before they use it more efficiently. I wish that were not the case, but it probably is. On the plus side there is a chance that Metro Plaza becomes something a bit better.

Posted on: 2013/4/5 16:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
That's an interesting possibility! As already demonstrated across the Hudson, they could build residential towers on top of the mall (if they indeed hold rights to add additional residential space and towers) and that could provide enough incentive to redesign a pedestrian access path (and, maybe even a new PATH entrance) and, overall, could provide a way to integrate Newport into the rest of JC.

Posted on: 2013/4/5 16:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
My point is that there is a more efficient way to use the space that the Newport Mall occupies, and to speculate on how long we think that it takes before the developers realize that the land can be used differently?

So, just to be clear. The owners should consider knocking down a 1.4 million square foot mall, which they've been renovating and increasingly going upscale, in order to improve pedestrian traffic to the Newport Station?

I agree the current pedestrian path is a hack, and I'm sure it could be improved. But I can't imagine they would take the whole thing down, as long as it's profitable and in good shape.

The thing is, DT JC is becoming some of the more valuable real estate in the country. They shouldn't do it because of pedestrians (and they won't), but they probably have the rights to build 50 stories there and still have the same amount of stores. There is certainly a good argument to be made that they could make a lot more money with a different sort of development..

Still, I doubt anything ever happens there.

Posted on: 2013/4/5 14:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/22 21:14
Group:
Registered Users
I'm all for New Urbanism but can't see the practicality and prohibitive costs incurred for demolishing it when it's not that decrepit (think it was built in 1987), has a customer base, and Simon has been improving it since it acquired it. Full disclosure, I hardly go to the Mall myself but realize many others do; and yes, there seems to be a certain subliminal level of classism involved ("I don't go to this mall because there's no Brooks Brothers, so lets knock it down"). I used to live at Newport (from 95 to 2004) and used to go there all the time (for haircuts, some shopping, movies) as it was convenient and I didn't have a car at the time and liked it enough. Being from Monmouth County, I preferred Monmouth Mall and Freehold Raceway. Interestingly enough, the Mall was deliberately built as an implicit barrier to foster the gated community concept away from the so-called then "undesirable" parts of Jersey City, and it worked. In my years of living at Newport, I hardly recall going to the other side until I discovered a place called Downtown Eddy's Mixed Grill over on Jersey Ave and started investigating JC. I do hope Metro Plaza gets developed especially in light of burgeoning development in the PAD and there's so much potential there. Metro Plaza mixed-use development would augment that nicely and hopefully offer more nightlight options. It would also foster more cohesion and continuity between the existing towers there.

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/forkint ... 12/01/thali_and_taste.php

Posted on: 2013/4/5 14:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/8 0:52
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
BTW. West Hollywood has 35,000+ people in less than 2 sq miles. Thats probably pretty comparable, maybe even denser than hamilton park/pavonia/newport.

Posted on: 2013/4/5 13:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Tommy, I reread a lot of what I wrote and I can see how I could be coming off as overly aggressive. My argument is unchanged but I apologize for the perceived tone as I did not intend to explain my points in such a manner.

Posted on: 2013/4/5 13:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
My point is that there is a more efficient way to use the space that the Newport Mall occupies, and to speculate on how long we think that it takes before the developers realize that the land can be used differently?

So, just to be clear. The owners should consider knocking down a 1.4 million square foot mall, which they've been renovating and increasingly going upscale, in order to improve pedestrian traffic to the Newport Station?

I agree the current pedestrian path is a hack, and I'm sure it could be improved. But I can't imagine they would take the whole thing down, as long as it's profitable and in good shape.

Posted on: 2013/4/5 12:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
As the OP, I'll chime in again to make my original point more clear. My problem is not that of a prima donna who cannot or prefers not to walk X number of blocks out of the way to access the waterfront. Physically and logistically, yes, I can manage my way jogging around the Newport Mall. My point is that there is a more efficient way to use the space that the Newport Mall occupies, and to speculate on how long we think that it takes before the developers realize that the land can be used differently?

My speculation is that we'll all likely be dead before they use it more efficiently. I wish that were not the case, but it probably is. On the plus side there is a chance that Metro Plaza becomes something a bit better.

Posted on: 2013/4/5 11:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/4/5 6:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dolomiti wrote:
OK, I'm a bit confused by something.

If you want to walk around the Mall, and really can't stand walking through the garage (which I understand), all you have to do is walk a few extra blocks to 6th.

Is that really so hard?

I agree it's not the most charming walk, that Newport is not a pedestrian paradise, and it's poorly integrated into the rest of JC. But the Mall is only a small part of that; it's ingrained in the design of Newport as a whole.

Hard? No. But it is inefficient. For me, it adds seven blocks to get to the PATH.

Posted on: 2013/4/5 5:37
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Quote:
There is no street access from Marin to Washington between 18th St and 6th St.

that is not correct. you can make a right on 11th street. it turns into newport parkway if you're looking at a map. you can also bike/walk down 14th street (the traffic is one way from washington to marin)

Newport Parkway, which you can only enter at Jersey Ave because it is elevated after that, doesn't even have a sidewalk. I guess you're right about 14th st. if you don't mind walking north across both tunnel approaches, then east under the train tracks and along the parking lots, but is hardly pedestrian friendly. I did it once at night and it was so creepy I apparently blocked it out.

Posted on: 2013/4/5 5:31
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
There is no street access from Marin to Washington between 18th St and 6th St.

that is not correct. you can make a right on 11th street. it turns into newport parkway if you're looking at a map. you can also bike/walk down 14th street (the traffic is one way from washington to marin)

Posted on: 2013/4/5 4:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
I was sad to see the Disney store go (just discovered that this past weekend, shows you how often we go there), since it was always fun browsing the store with the kids...

Posted on: 2013/4/5 4:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/14 1:56
Group:
Registered Users
OK, I'm a bit confused by something.

If you want to walk around the Mall, and really can't stand walking through the garage (which I understand), all you have to do is walk a few extra blocks to 6th.

Is that really so hard?

I agree it's not the most charming walk, that Newport is not a pedestrian paradise, and it's poorly integrated into the rest of JC. But the Mall is only a small part of that; it's ingrained in the design of Newport as a whole.

Posted on: 2013/4/5 3:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
The Mall is a disastrous piece of urban planning, built at a time when Newport wanted to be cut off from the city. Together with the tunnel, the north box stores and Metro Plaza, it cuts off much of downtown from the waterfront and the public transportation options there. There is no street access from Marin to Washington between 18th St and 6th St.

Yes, you can walk through the garage, mall and office to get to the PATH. Some people like to do this. Others don't. However, it is clear that need was never anticipated and the route is a jerry-rigged afterthought. It should not be the only pedestrian route for 12 blocks (not that 6th or 18th are pedestrian friendly). Obviously, you can't ride a bicycle through it.

Tearing down the mall is not an option, but tearing down the west parking garage is. The least they can do is return some street life to Marin by putting retail along the mall perimeter and making the pedestrian route more pleasant. Why not a pedestrian and bicycle pathway that goes over the mall complex like a bridge?

Also, providing access to the PATH station from the west side of Washington would make a big difference. The platforms are actually under Washington, but everyone must walk east to the long-gone location of the old rail terminal then double back west to the platform along that bizarre hill-tunnel.

Posted on: 2013/4/4 23:12
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
LimpiarElSucio, you're being unnecessarily aggressive in a thread that was started in a rather positive manner.

I wouldn't think it's good methodology to compare municipalities of 2,000 people to NYC with a population of 8 Million. Typically when people discuss a city's population density, it's discussed in terms of cities with 100,000+ in population (ie, real cities, not small dense towns). Using that measure, New York is #1, and Jersey City and San Francisco are neck and neck for #2/3 (I believe with JC's updated population of 250k+, it surpassed SF's, but I'm not certain). Los Angeles is far behind; it's density is approximately half of Jersey City and San Francisco's. Los Angeles is actually the prototype of a suburban-style city.

Posted on: 2013/4/4 22:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Look, I hardly ever go to the newport mall but this post seems to basically just be a bunch of self-serving reasons & excuses as to why our city shouldnt have a mall that is obviously extremely popular...

oh no! it cuts off a few cross streets (and in the process probably makes marin blvd less of a traffic headache (hard to believe) than if it had more cross streets intersecting it...

Posted on: 2013/4/4 21:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
The Grove seems to have the backs of the stores facing the main street and a large parking structure cutting off the other side of the Grove from pedestrians. This is not what Tommy was talking about.

Agreed, its not exact but its more similar than the other iurban malls I mentioned like the embarcadero or future south street seaport.

As for the "urban city" reference having anything to do with density...

New York City is the 5th most densely populated city
West Hollywood which is where The Grove is ranks 6th
San Francisco is 23rd
Jersey City ranks 25th.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ ... ensity#Metropolitan_areas

Posted on: 2013/4/4 21:00

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me