Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
118 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 118

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: What's in a name? Jersey City council candidate says everyone knows him as 'Chico'
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/23 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
Well the judge told the City that they couldn't bring a suit against Byrne because the City wasn't the injured party. I would assume that corporation counsel would already know that, but they went ahead and brought the suit anyway and the judge told them the campaign would have to bring the suit.

You've already got Bill Matsikoudis heavily involved in the Healy campaign when he is supposed to already be representing both the Council and the Mayor unbiasedly. SO I suspect someone would need to bring an ethics complaint against Matsikoudis for using his office and City resources for political purposes.

A group like Civic JC might be willing to do this, but it is tough to do and Team Healy knows this so they get away with a lot of skirting around the edge while playing a game of smoke and mirrors... oh the circumventing of pay to play ordinances on an invitation was an error, we never saw the invitation. Oh, we didn't know that the City couldn't bring suit, our bad... blah blah blah.

It's all about who is willing to call whom out and go down a long and expensive legal road.

Posted on: 2013/3/29 19:46
soshin: Mention guns and bd pops up through a hole in the ground like a heavily armed meercat

Re: What's in a name? Jersey City council candidate says everyone knows him as 'Chico'
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Althea wrote:
My belief is that they weren't just looking to keep him from using nickname that he is known by, i think they were looking to take this first step and then have the petitions to be on the ballot invalidated and therefore have him removed from the race.

What greatly upsets me about this whole thing is that the Healy campaign originally created the complaint using the City's law department staff and resources. This is outright illegal, not to mention highly unethical.

I can't even imagine how pissed Robert Byrne must be.

Forgive my ignorance on this, but if it was done illegally, why was that aspect of this not stopped or addressed?

Posted on: 2013/3/29 18:48

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/13 15:22
Group:
Registered Users
PolitickerNJ's Winners and Losers: Week of Chico and the Man

Khemraj Ramchal

Better known as ?Chico,? the Jersey City Ward B Council candidate (and ally of Mayoral candidate Steve Fulop) had a victory this week when a judge ruled that he can use his nickname on the ballot. Less successful was Mayor Jerry Healy, as Clerk Robert Byrne shot down the incumbent?s attempt to land his own moniker on the ballot: ?The Man.?

Posted on: 2013/3/29 17:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/23 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
My belief is that they weren't just looking to keep him from using nickname that he is known by, i think they were looking to take this first step and then have the petitions to be on the ballot invalidated and therefore have him removed from the race.

What greatly upsets me about this whole thing is that the Healy campaign originally created the complaint using the City's law department staff and resources. This is outright illegal, not to mention highly unethical.

I can't even imagine how pissed Robert Byrne must be.

Quote:

H-Parker wrote:
What a waste of time. I can see objecting if he wanted to be listed as Khemraj "Honest" Ramchal, but what is wrong with using the actual name he is known by? What was the harm the Mayor's side was seeking to prevent? Just petty harassment.

Posted on: 2013/3/29 13:19
soshin: Mention guns and bd pops up through a hole in the ground like a heavily armed meercat

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/28 0:17
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

H-Parker wrote:
What was the harm the Mayor's side was seeking to prevent? Just petty harassment.

Harm to his candidate's vote total. Nothing more, nothing less.

With the unintended consequence of giving Khemraj CHICO Ramchal some free publicity.

But you shouldn't be too surprised. They run the city without any thought to consequences.

Posted on: 2013/3/29 13:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/23 10:53
Group:
Registered Users
I'm known as "Mama Looka Boo Boo Day" on the streets, when I run next election, would I be able to use my street name also!

Posted on: 2013/3/29 12:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

H-Parker wrote:
What a waste of time. I can see objecting if he wanted to be listed as Khemraj "Honest" Ramchal, but what is wrong with using the actual name he is known by? What was the harm the Mayor's side was seeking to prevent? Just petty harassment.

+1 H-Parker

Team Fulop had more important things to address than go after Janet 'My real name is Awilda' Chevres, the Goldman Sachs lunchroom moniter. But then when you have no plan, you do petty to detract.

Posted on: 2013/3/29 12:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/1 17:12
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/3/28 22:31

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Judge rules Jersey City council candidate can keep 'Chico' nickname on ballot

By Ana M. Ferrer/The Jersey Journal
on March 28, 2013 at 1:49 PM, updated March 28, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Hudson County Judge Peter Bariso ruled this morning that Ward B Jersey City council candidate Khemraj Ramchal can have his nickname "Chico" placed on the ballot.
Ramchal is running on a slate headed up by Ward E Councilman Steven Fulop who is running for mayor. The campaign of Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy had sued City Clerk Robert Byrne for allowing Ramchal to has nickname "Chico" on the ballot between his first and last names.

Healy's campaign said Byrne did not have the discretion to allow the Ward B candidate's nickname on the ballot when it filed the complaint.

On behalf of the Healy campaign, attorney William Northgrave argued this morning that Ramchal's name should appear on the ballot as it does on his voter profile, stating that "Chico" does not appear anywhere on his birth certificate, passport, or driver's license.

Bariso asked attorney Vincent Signorile, who represented Byrne, "Hypothetically, if the statute said nicknames aren't allowed, what discretion would the clerk have?" Signorile replied, "There would be no discretion."

Attorney Edward Florio, representing Ramchal, argued that municipal clerks have made decisions in favor of using nicknames on the ballot before and cited, Raul "Rudy" Garcia, a former Union City mayor, and Silverio "Sal" Vega, a former West New York mayor.

Florio argued the law always sides in favor of assisting a voter in finding their candidate on the ballot. Ramchal has said that "everyone" in his neighborhood knows him as "Chico."

Florio added that if a voter cannot find their candidate easily they'll spend more time in the voting booth causing lines to back up and frustrate other voters causing them to leave which becomes voter suppression.

Ultimately, Bariso ruled in favor of keeping Ramchal's nickname on the ballot.

"The judge ruled fairly," Ramchal said after the judge gave his ruling. "It's just nitpicking and it's just going to make me work harder."

Ramchal said that his father, who was there in the courtroom with him, had given him the nickname as a child and that he never knew he would run for office.

"Had I'd known I was going to run for office, I would have changed my name," Ramchal said.

The election is May 14.

Posted on: 2013/3/28 18:57

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The West side is once again safe for Chicos. The judge tossed out Healy's nonsense lawsuit.

Posted on: 2013/3/28 17:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/7/25 21:48
From Van Vorst Park area
Group:
Registered Users
This lawsuit is absolutely preposterous. What a putz.

Posted on: 2013/3/27 15:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Doesn't anyone else regard it as a problem that Healy is suing the city, forcing us to spend money to defend his ridiculous lawsuit?

And wouldn't it be a tiny bit of a conflict that the City's lawyer is running Healy's campaign?

This is F-ed up, Jerry! Do some work for a change!

Posted on: 2013/3/27 13:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

InsideStraight wrote:
Healy suing City Clerk over candidate's nickname

By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal
on March 26, 2013 at 6:35 PM, updated March 26, 2013 at 10:07 PM

re-election campaign of Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy is suing his own City Clerk, saying the clerk shouldn?t have allowed a City Council candidate on an opposing slate to use a nickname on the May 14 city ballot.

Healy?s campaign says Clerk Robert Byrne overstepped his bounds when he permitted Ward B council candidate Khemraj Ramchal to use his nickname ?Chico? on the ballot alongside his given name.

?Although Mr. Byrne is well intentioned, the law simply does not give him that discretion,? reads a March 22 letter from Healy campaign attorney William W. Northgrave to Judge Peter F. Bariso.

Ramchal is on the council slate of longtime Healy rival Councilman Steve Fulop, who is making his first bid for mayor.

The Healy campaign first complained to Byrne last week about the matter. Byrne asked the court on May 20 to make a decision, but Bariso said Byrne would have to be sued in order for the judge to intervene.

This week, the Healy campaign filed suit, and the first hearing is scheduled for Thursday....

More in Healy suing City Clerk over candidate's nickname

How funny, sad & desparate is this? Healy would sue one of his own HCDO faithful over a nickname on a ballot? No plan about crime, filth, schools, taxes? But let's not have a nickname on a ballot. Guess where this dolt's priorities are? And that there are people out there that actually believe this petty little man who has hammered this city with one lie after another should actually get another four years to screw things up further......God help us.

Posted on: 2013/3/27 11:37

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Healy suing City Clerk over candidate's nickname

By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal
on March 26, 2013 at 6:35 PM, updated March 26, 2013 at 10:07 PM

re-election campaign of Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy is suing his own City Clerk, saying the clerk shouldn?t have allowed a City Council candidate on an opposing slate to use a nickname on the May 14 city ballot.

Healy?s campaign says Clerk Robert Byrne overstepped his bounds when he permitted Ward B council candidate Khemraj Ramchal to use his nickname ?Chico? on the ballot alongside his given name.

?Although Mr. Byrne is well intentioned, the law simply does not give him that discretion,? reads a March 22 letter from Healy campaign attorney William W. Northgrave to Judge Peter F. Bariso.

Ramchal is on the council slate of longtime Healy rival Councilman Steve Fulop, who is making his first bid for mayor.

The Healy campaign first complained to Byrne last week about the matter. Byrne asked the court on May 20 to make a decision, but Bariso said Byrne would have to be sued in order for the judge to intervene.

This week, the Healy campaign filed suit, and the first hearing is scheduled for Thursday....

More in Healy suing City Clerk over candidate's nickname

Posted on: 2013/3/27 5:50

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/11 5:14
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Toonces wrote:
My guess is that, despite having grown up in Guyana, the name "Khemraj Ramchal" doesn't sound as overtly hispanic as the nickname "Chico" does. Extrapolating a bit, perhaps the Healy campaign is concerned that the JC hispanic population is likely to vote based on demographical/ethnic association.

That's not a big concern on the west side. There are more West Indians and Asian Indians than Hispanics in Ward B.

The real issue for Chico is that everyone knows him as Chico, and he's popular. That's why Healy wants "Chico" off the ballot - so some of his supporters won't recognize him.

Posted on: 2013/3/21 19:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
What first name the candidate Fulop going to use ?

Posted on: 2013/3/21 18:28
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/7 23:14
Group:
Registered Users
My guess is that, despite having grown up in Guyana, the name "Khemraj Ramchal" doesn't sound as overtly hispanic as the nickname "Chico" does. Extrapolating a bit, perhaps the Healy campaign is concerned that the JC hispanic population is likely to vote based on demographical/ethnic association.

Posted on: 2013/3/21 18:16

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
It's hard to see what Healy gets out of this. He tried to work the ref, and have the City Clerk Robert Byrne disallow the nickname. If it worked, fine for Healy.

Assuming Byrne doesn't bite at that - and why would he given all the nicknames which have preceded Chico Ramchal on the JC ballot - then the Healy team has to go to court.

Where they would lose. Names are not titles. And nicknames are still names. Read the statute and the 2001 decision which they cite.

Or just ask ROSS C. (ROCKY) ANDERSON and ROBERT ?TURK? TURKAVAGE, candidates certified by the state for President and Senator in 2012, and appearing on your ballot several columns to the right of the major party candidates.

Aside from causing Mr. Ramchal some nervous moments, Healy wound up giving their opponent some free publicity. Not only is the name CHICO better known today than yesterday, now people are also clear that he's the non-Healy guy. And they stirred up Chico's volunteers something fierce.

Another brilliant move from the gang that couldn't run straight. Heck of a job, Jerry.

Posted on: 2013/3/21 1:33

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/23 2:39
Group:
Registered Users
How would one go about proving a nickname? How many people do you need in support? one, five, fifty?

Nevermind, you're upset and for good reason.

Posted on: 2013/3/21 0:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/8 0:52
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Except they havent called you that. You can run as John "shyster" Smith if you want, im sure people have called you that your whole life... Well at least as long as youve affiliated with healy/hcdo

Posted on: 2013/3/21 0:39

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/23 2:39
Group:
Registered Users
I want to run as John "I will lower taxes" Smith. People have called me I will lower taxes all my life. See the potential problem.

Posted on: 2013/3/21 0:09

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Healy campaign spokesman Joshua Henne noted that Healy is using his own full name on the May 14 ballot.

Healy must be having trouble with his memory again, forgetting his defeated Council appointment and failed judicial appointment, who appeared on the ballot as "RADAMES RAY VELAZQUEZ,Jr."

I'm just gonna bet that "Ray" is not on his birth certificate.

Posted on: 2013/3/20 21:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/23 10:53
Group:
Registered Users
WTF is a "Chico"!
Get outta here!!!

Posted on: 2013/3/20 20:05

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

H-Parker wrote:
What possible public policy harm could it do to have the name Chico on the ballot?

The "harm" is to the Mayor's vote total. He doesn't want people to correctly identify the candidate running against his boy.

Healy's trying anything. He'll lose. There are nicknames on just about every ballot.

Posted on: 2013/3/20 18:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/1 17:12
Group:
Registered Users
What possible public policy harm could it do to have the name Chico on the ballot?

The "Doctor" example is very different.

Posted on: 2013/3/20 18:11

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 20:29
Group:
Registered Users
Chico & Fletch

To be played by Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson in the upcoming movie about Jersey City.

Posted on: 2013/3/20 18:02

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/11 5:14
Group:
Registered Users
Chico is well-known throughout the ward and has a big volunteer team. I think even without the "Chico" name on the ballot he gets the job done.

Call me crazy, but I remember nicknames on the ballot. I think Healy loses this one - in court, but also at the voting booth.

Posted on: 2013/3/20 15:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Damn it. I was hoping to run for some office as Joshua "Prime Time" Parkhurst.

Posted on: 2013/3/20 13:37

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Stringer wrote:
A Jersey City man running for City Council in Ward B should not be allowed to use his nickname on the ballot, says the re-election campaign of Mayor Jerramiah Healy.

ROTFL! Healy must really be grasping at straws.

Healy's Ward B candidate is in trouble, so apparently they'll try anything. Chico is known throughout the ward, and known by his name - Chico. His opponent has much less reach, whether you call him Jerry or Gerald.

While we're on the subject of names, does anyone know what led the Mayor's parents to mis-spell Jeremiah on the poor kid's birth certificate?

Posted on: 2013/3/20 13:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/16 20:23
From not downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

"Mayor Healy's neighbors know him as Jerry, but he is following the rules and will be on the ballot as 'Jerramiah,'" Henne said.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... city_co.html#incart_river

Following the rules? Why start now. I am thinking that the major is just jealous that his nickname is so corny. I can think of a few other nicknames for the mayor, but I will restrain myself.

Posted on: 2013/3/20 12:13
I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.
W. C. Fields

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017