Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
147 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 147

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Wireless tower to be built on top of a building on 5th Street

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/6 22:30
Group:
Registered Users
Is this being installed today on 5th st?

Posted on: 2014/10/1 19:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
I have been hearing many complaints from cell phone users about the reception in the Downtown section of J.C. maybe the new antenna will provide the necessary assistance towards good quality communication. If the aesthetics of the tower is still a haunt, why not try a landline with a cord in the wall.

+1

Posted on: 2013/4/19 19:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
these antennas are already everywhere so this is nothing new. Look out your window and you'll see several, I bet. I can see at least 8 out my living room window. If you don't like them, get rid of your cell phone.

Posted on: 2013/4/19 19:19

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/5 15:04
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
On the evening of March 17, the Harsimus Cove Assocation (HCA) distributed 80 letters to Fifth Street residents on the same block as of 238 Fifth Street. (Read the letter.) Verizon is applying to the Historic Preservation Commission (HPC) to get approval for this project. There are issues with the appropriateness of this project given that it is visible from the public right of way from many vantage points and that it would compromise the integrity of the Harsimus Cove historic district.

About 20 residents showed up to the meeting and half of those spoke out against the application during the public hearing. After more questioning by the HPC largely based on the points we made, Verizon decided to withdraw their application and to come back in the future with revised plans.

Verizon has since submitted revised plans and they are on the next meeting's agenda.

Historic Preservation Commission Meeting
Monday, April 22, 6:30 PM
Council Chambers, City Hall, 280 Grove Street

It is imperative that all concerned parties appear at the meeting and be prepared to make remarks during the public speaking portion of the meeting.

Verizon's revised sims and plans:

Architectural drawings of the plan: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3LZdDqM81uqa2pJRE4yNEtrbk0/edit
Simulation of the roofline from the east: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3LZdDqM81uqQ0QyRXFtTWdCVW8/edit
Simulation of the roofline from the west: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3LZdDqM81uqNnQ0aEpXV2VEMW8/edit

Some things to note:

1. The number of antennas has been reduced from 12 to 6. That makes it 2 per cluster instead of 4.
2. The shed has been removed and will no longer be a visual obstruction from the Erie/5th vantage point
3. The cluster that was on the SW corner has been pushed back but still on the very edge of the building. It will now be referred to as the west cluster.

NEW JERSEY STATE HISTORIC PRESERVATION OFFICE (SHPO)

I've been in touch with the SHPO based on the following tip from this blog, "What to Do if a Cell Tower is Proposed in Your Neighborhood."

Neighborhoods listed as historic districts by the National Historic Preservation Act may have more protections against a cell tower than non-historic neighborhoods. A tower cannot be placed in a historic neighborhood if it can be demonstrated that the tower negatively affects the neighborhood's historic quality. The Irvington neighborhood was designated a historic district last year, and Kirk Ranzetta helped the neighbors appeal the issue to Oregon's State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO).

Ranzetta says wireless companies are required to file an application with SHPO, and SHPO has to agree that the neighborhood will not be adversely affected. "The applications are not always full or not always as accurate as they probably should be," Ranzetta says. Neighbors can then file a notice of objection to the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). "It's a little bit more of a legal challenge," Ranzetta says, and the FCC is legally required to respond to the objection.

According the SHPO, Verizon and any other mobile carrier who wants to install antennae in a historic district, they must go through the Section 106 process as defined by the Historic Preservation Act. This process requires that the applicant conduct an "alternatives analysis" whereby the applicant demonstrates their justification for the chosen location with regard to other options. According to the SHPO, Verizon has not yet submitted their alternatives analysis, but this is not abnormal. Applicants often conduct it after community consultation has happened. Given that several members of the community specifically asked about this topic at the last HPC meeting and the given that Verizon has not conducted the alternative analysis, the HCA will request that the analysis be done before any City agency, board or commission grant approval. In short, we have unanswered questions this analysis would answer.

AT&T'S SEEKS TO INSTALL ON THE SAME BUILDING

On the heals of Verizon is AT&T. While they are not on the agenda for Monday's meeting and we have not received any plans or sims, we are in touch with the attorney representing their application. I bring this up now so as to give you an accurate vision of the scope of what's going on at 238 Fifth. Will T-Mobile be next?

Posted on: 2013/4/19 19:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
I have been hearing many complaints from cell phone users about the reception in the Downtown section of J.C. maybe the new antenna will provide the necessary assistance towards good quality communication. If the aesthetics of the tower is still a haunt, why not try a landline with a cord in the wall.

Posted on: 2013/3/20 16:36
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

neverleft wrote:
Jersey City panel tables Verizon bid to put antennas atop building

By Michaelangelo Conte/The Jersey Journal
on March 20, 2013 at 3:00 AM,
updated March 20, 2013 at 8:59 AM

The Jersey City Historic Preservation Commission voted Monday to table an application by Verizon Wireless to place cellular antennas on a building in the Harsimus Cove Historic District.

More than a dozen residents who oppose placing the antennas on the building at 238 Fifth St. attended the meeting at City Hall and the commissioners did not appear thrilled with the proposal.

?What you are asking us to do is accept something that is seen from the street, which if it was an addition to the building, we would probably have a hard time with,? said Commissioner Stephen Gucciardo.

After Verizon?s experts were peppered with questions and residents had spoken, it was Verizon?s lawyer who asked that the proposal to place antennas on the century-old building of 43 condominium units be tabled.

Full JJ piece?.

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... historic_preservat_1.html

And the writer got the name of HCA Assoc president wrong - Stephen Musgrava.

Posted on: 2013/3/20 15:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City panel tables Verizon bid to put antennas atop building

By Michaelangelo Conte/The Jersey Journal
on March 20, 2013 at 3:00 AM,
updated March 20, 2013 at 8:59 AM

The Jersey City Historic Preservation Commission voted Monday to table an application by Verizon Wireless to place cellular antennas on a building in the Harsimus Cove Historic District.

More than a dozen residents who oppose placing the antennas on the building at 238 Fifth St. attended the meeting at City Hall and the commissioners did not appear thrilled with the proposal.

?What you are asking us to do is accept something that is seen from the street, which if it was an addition to the building, we would probably have a hard time with,? said Commissioner Stephen Gucciardo.

After Verizon?s experts were peppered with questions and residents had spoken, it was Verizon?s lawyer who asked that the proposal to place antennas on the century-old building of 43 condominium units be tabled.

Full JJ piece?.

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... historic_preservat_1.html

Posted on: 2013/3/20 15:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
While there are no absolute studies pointing either way I would prefer to err on the side of safety and not live that close to a cell phone tower.

http://www.westallisnow.com/userstoriessubmitted/40808987.html

http://environment.about.com/od/environment/a/cell_phones.htm

Posted on: 2013/3/19 0:11

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/7 0:44
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
This is the problem I have. People have not been living next to or underneath these towers for that long. The long term health effects are unknown.

Posted on: 2013/3/18 22:48

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 20:29
Group:
Registered Users
People living near these cell facilities report "nausea, dizziness, buzzing in the ears, headaches, head pressure, difficulty sleeping, brain fog, skin rash, burning sensation in the skin, and a metallic taste in the mouth"

Sounds great!

Also, "The power density behind an antenna is hundreds to thousands of times lower than in front."

It's the neighbors who might have the most problems.

http://www.treehugger.com/green-food/ ... esidential-buildings.html

However according to the article below, "federal law now prohibits municipalities from rejecting zoning for a cell phone tower solely on the grounds that it may pose health risks.".

If you don't want burning skin and RF interference, your best bet is to prevent it on the grounds that it is a historical area and would be a blight on the neighborhood.

http://www.wirelessweek.com/news/2007 ... ular-tower-health-hazards

Another article to read...
http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/condobl ... l-tower-health-risks.html

and
http://www.anticelltowerlawyers.com/links/expert-studies.html

Lastly, it will likely decrease home values in the area. Most sensible people would not want to live very close to that kind of equipment.

Posted on: 2013/3/18 21:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:

Unlike FM radio, cell phone towers communicate at frequencies approaching the microwave band, but that still makes them radio antennas precisely by definition. The most obvious difference is that they're much shorter than FM antennas, because they handle shorter radio wavelengths.

ok, however that seems to ignore what was said earlier:

First, the energy level of radiofrequency (RF) waves is relatively low, especially when compared with the types of radiation that are known to increase cancer risk, such as gamma rays, x-rays, and ultraviolet (UV) light. The energy of RF waves given off by cell phone towers is not enough to break chemical bonds in DNA molecules, which is how these stronger forms of radiation may lead to cancer.

A second issue has to do with wavelength. RF waves have long wavelengths, which can only be concentrated to about an inch or two in size. This makes it unlikely that the energy from RF waves could be concentrated enough to affect individual cells in the body.

Third, even if RF waves were somehow able to affect cells in the body at higher doses, the level of RF waves present at ground level is very low ? well below the recommended limits. Levels of energy from RF waves near cell phone towers are not significantly different from the background levels of RF radiation in urban areas from other sources, such as radio and television broadcast stations.

The issue is about being very close to a cell network antenna where the signal can be much stronger per the inverse square law. I have no idea what harmful effects cell phone radio frequencies might have on our bodies if any at all, but high frequency RF does indeed interact with the molecules in our bodies.

Posted on: 2013/3/18 21:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:

Unlike FM radio, cell phone towers communicate at frequencies approaching the microwave band, but that still makes them radio antennas precisely by definition. The most obvious difference is that they're much shorter than FM antennas, because they handle shorter radio wavelengths.

ok, however that seems to ignore what was said earlier:

First, the energy level of radiofrequency (RF) waves is relatively low, especially when compared with the types of radiation that are known to increase cancer risk, such as gamma rays, x-rays, and ultraviolet (UV) light. The energy of RF waves given off by cell phone towers is not enough to break chemical bonds in DNA molecules, which is how these stronger forms of radiation may lead to cancer.

A second issue has to do with wavelength. RF waves have long wavelengths, which can only be concentrated to about an inch or two in size. This makes it unlikely that the energy from RF waves could be concentrated enough to affect individual cells in the body.

Third, even if RF waves were somehow able to affect cells in the body at higher doses, the level of RF waves present at ground level is very low ? well below the recommended limits. Levels of energy from RF waves near cell phone towers are not significantly different from the background levels of RF radiation in urban areas from other sources, such as radio and television broadcast stations.

Posted on: 2013/3/18 20:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
dare i ask why living next to a tower is somehow different than living beneath one?

Read up on the inverse square law.

Cell phone transmission antennas don't produce ionizing radiation, but radio waves do interact with our tissues.

ok? this isn't a radio tower? what'm I missing in this comment?

Thank you Frank I learned something very valuable on JCLIST especially when it has to do with radio.

Posted on: 2013/3/18 17:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
dare i ask why living next to a tower is somehow different than living beneath one?

Cell phone transmission antennas don't produce ionizing radiation, but radio waves do interact with our tissues.

Posted on: 2013/3/18 16:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Radioactive waves meet natural gas pipeline? Recipe for disaster?! Ironically the only thing left standing will be the embankments.

Posted on: 2013/3/18 16:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/5 2:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I live on 6th Street in that same area (closer to the baseball field) and have awful service... basically my phone doesnt work in my home and on a limited basis in front and behind of the house.

I am pleased to know this will 'likely' be installed.

Quote:

leigh13 wrote:
What I find strange about this is that it's a Verizon antenna going in. I live in the area and I have never had a problem with VZW coverage--never less than 4/5 bars (and usually 5) and a full complement of 4G LTE download rates.

I wonder if Verizon is planning to replace a different antenna, or this is just going in for network growth and to provide expansion for expected data usage.

Posted on: 2013/3/18 15:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:

Posted on: 2013/3/18 15:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/21 19:38
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
What I find strange about this is that it's a Verizon antenna going in. I live in the area and I have never had a problem with VZW coverage--never less than 4/5 bars (and usually 5) and a full complement of 4G LTE download rates.

I wonder if Verizon is planning to replace a different antenna, or this is just going in for network growth and to provide expansion for expected data usage.

Posted on: 2013/3/18 14:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:

And what other electronics will the towers interfere with? Cordless phones, shortwave radios, wireless devices such as a keyboard and mouse, modems & routers. Wven stereo speakers might develop a hum doesn't "sound" like a good deal.

Posted on: 2013/3/18 2:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:

Posted on: 2013/3/18 1:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
oh? how far we talking about?

Posted on: 2013/3/18 1:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

scratchy wrote:

I'm guessing you wouldn't mind living there with that much faith in the "peer reviewed material"?

nope, wouldn't bug me all that much

Posted on: 2013/3/18 1:49

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/4/25 1:25
Group:
Banned
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
[quote]

Ground far, roof close.

Posted on: 2013/3/18 1:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bear wrote:
As a renter on 5th, certainly within 200FT, I have not gotten this letter. Perhaps my landlord has, but I doubt they would share.

Could you post all of the information you received about the meeting so that others like me can attend? Where will it be held?

Either way, us neighbors should attend to see what they are proposing, and if it is indeed imposing, to have our opposition heard.

Renters are not "entiled" to "get" the letter but I am sure they can attend not sure if they are allowed to speak though. It's funny renters can vote but cannot be included in on certain zoning issues. It might behove those to check the planning Board list for the meeting/ agenda schedule.

Posted on: 2013/3/18 1:18

Edited by heights on 2013/3/18 1:43:19

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Quote:

scratchy wrote:
The last line doesn't really make me feel better about this.

"For these reasons, most scientists agree that cell phone antennas or towers are unlikely to cause cancer."

meh. there are "some" scientists (and I wanted to put that in quotes, too, but figured it would look ugly) who disagree that climate change is happening and that there are probably man-made factors involved in it as well.

i'm willing to go with the vast majority of peer-reviewed material than the few dudes with mostly unsubstantiated claims

Quote:

the studies cited by the article all specify that these results are expected by radiation recipients at ground level adjacent to transmitters on buildings or towers. If I lived on the top floor of that building I would be very concerned.

I'm guessing you wouldn't mind living there with that much faith in the "peer reviewed material"?

Posted on: 2013/3/18 0:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

scratchy wrote:

"For these reasons, most scientists agree that cell phone antennas or towers are unlikely to cause cancer."

meh. there are "some" scientists (and I wanted to put that in quotes, too, but figured it would look ugly) who disagree that climate change is happening and that there are probably man-made factors involved in it as well.

i'm willing to go with the vast majority of peer-reviewed material than the few dudes with mostly unsubstantiated claims

Quote:

the studies cited by the article all specify that these results are expected by radiation recipients at ground level adjacent to transmitters on buildings or towers. If I lived on the top floor of that building I would be very concerned.

Posted on: 2013/3/18 0:07

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/4/25 1:25
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Seagull wrote:
This is an excerpt from a cellular phone tower article published on www.cancer.org

"Some people have expressed concern that living, working, or going to school near a cell phone tower might increase the risk of cancer or other health problems. At this time, there is very little evidence to support this idea. In theory, there are some important points that would argue against cellular phone towers being able to cause cancer.

For these reasons, most scientists agree that cell phone antennas or towers are unlikely to cause cancer."

If you read through to the bottom of that page, the studies cited by the article all specify that these results are expected by radiation recipients at ground level adjacent to transmitters on buildings or towers. If I lived on the top floor of that building I would be very concerned.

Posted on: 2013/3/17 22:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Sounds a little up in the air doesn't it?

Posted on: 2013/3/17 17:49

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/3/17 17:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
This is an excerpt from a cellular phone tower article published on www.cancer.org

"Some people have expressed concern that living, working, or going to school near a cell phone tower might increase the risk of cancer or other health problems. At this time, there is very little evidence to support this idea. In theory, there are some important points that would argue against cellular phone towers being able to cause cancer.

For these reasons, most scientists agree that cell phone antennas or towers are unlikely to cause cancer."

Posted on: 2013/3/17 17:11

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017