Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
88 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 88

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Re: NYTimes article "Moving deeper into Brooklyn for lower home prices" -- getting lots of JC comments
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Out of curiosity, I google mapped .99 stores.
google map of .99 stores

(give it a second to load)
All those tiny red dots...I wonder if everyone in BK is as pissed as DTJC is about them.

Posted on: 2013/3/13 21:03

Re: NYTimes article "Moving deeper into Brooklyn for lower home prices" -- getting lots of JC comments
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
I think it's really sweet that someone's 'friends' tell them the reason they won't visit with them is because they have 99 cent stores in their neighborhood.

Posted on: 2013/3/13 20:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
My complaint with DTJC is not the 99 cent stores, There are 99 cent stores on 23rd and Lex they are pretty much everywhere.

My issue with with JC not just dtjc is signage, they can do a better job with store fronts and store signs, especially in areas where rents are 2k and over. I expect West side, and MLK to look bad, even though Monticello looks better than Newark ave and Bergen ave.

When I go downtown which is rare now that I take the light-rail to Exchange place and just leave JC for Manhattan I notice not only the stores are bad looking, they are also dirty on the outside and the inside. Which makes a bad shopping experience.

I would not hold my breath about leases running out, Three of the stores we speak of are run by the owners of the buildings.

Posted on: 2013/3/13 20:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

PEC0905 wrote:
Some of the low-end stores will go, and some will always be here. A mix is good for everybody.

Look at LES in the City, you have fancy new buildings side by side with projects. Live music venues and trendy restaurants on one block, bodegas, community gardens and barbershops on the next. The rent-control and subsidized housing isn't going anywhere, and the same goes for JC.

Newark Ave is gritty and that's not a bad thing. It's only a matter of time before some cheap stores leases end and higher end tenants will definitely follow. Unfortunately some long time residents and store owners will eventually be priced out.

However there will always be a place for bodegas, barbershops and cheap late night eats Downtown. There is much more rent control around here then some new residents realize, and there's nothing wrong with that. We need to keep flavor and culture and the only way to do that is have rich and poor side by side. Otherwise the neighborhood would be all yuppie transplants from the Midwest and trust fund babies. They keep can all that nonsense over in Park Slope, I like where we are headed....

I would take bodegas or barber shops over what we have now - numerous 99 cent stores. It's tacky, doesn't help the community, actually makes the neighborhood less appealing to those who want to move here, and I question the quality of the products sold there.

You think you're being so "nice" by arguing for these 99 cent stores and stores with the name "cheap" in them in staying open, you minus well be arguing for the gas pipeline. These stores ruin communities as much as the gas pipeline will ruin JC.

Please tell me how being able to get a birthday card in spanish for .99 or a roll of toilet paper for .79 on my walk home from the path is the same as backing the pipeline.

Easy.

No one wants to live near a major pipe. No one wants to live next to numerous 99 cent stores.

No one wants to visit you if you live next to a major pipe. No one wants to visit you if you live in a neighborhood with numerous 99 cent stores.

Major gas pipes reduce property values. Numerous 99 cent stores reduce property values.

Major gas pipelines do not better a community and the same for 99 cent stores.

If you really want JC to improve, you would not want those 99 cent stores. Actually, why don't you just order directly from China - buy direct.

Dunno doctor. I shop high end and I shop low end. Growing up poor, you learn to appreciate certain affordable things. I'm not buying my shoes or toothpaste at discount stores (and don't look down on those that do) but I'll keep getting my dishtowels there.
I apologize if some of DTJC doesn't fit in with your wetdream of it all being just like PH and Newport. I feel sorry for people whose friends don't visit because of the .99 stores.

I have no problem coexisting with the everything the way it is downtown or how it was ten years ago.

Posted on: 2013/3/13 20:32

Edited by MikeyTBC on 2013/3/13 20:53:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned
I am not advocating for 99 cent stores. I do not shop there, neither do I like to have them in the neighborhood. My point is there are some ugly looking buildings in downtown area. The rents in these buildings are not very high. I don't know what they add to the neighborhood except for more crowd on the PATH.

Quote:
I was waiting for the convo to get back to bashing those that actually help JC on any beneficial level. Let me join in. I wish that Goldman Sachs building was a 99 cent store and those luxury condos in Newport were project housing. I wish JC was more like GV or BL because everything is so perfect there. Those people in those buildings are all pretentious aholes anyway and even if they pay their taxes, buy stuff in JC, and help us get somewhat noticed, they still make more money than me so screw them. newport is so bland and there is relatively low crime compared to GV and that is so blah. More 99 cent stores, more project housing, less development, more artists living in houses for free or at below market rates..

Posted on: 2013/3/13 19:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Sorry, THAT was the best post I've read in a long time! LMFAO!

Posted on: 2013/3/13 19:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Dahood wrote:
While we are at it, the two ugly brown high rises in Newport and the ugly high rises on Montgomery/Warren/CC/Marin also Make the neighborhoods less appealing.

I was waiting for the convo to get back to bashing those that actually help JC on any beneficial level.

Let me join in. I wish that Goldman Sachs building was a 99 cent store and those luxury condos in Newport were project housing. I wish JC was more like GV or BL because everything is so perfect there. Those people in those buildings are all pretentious aholes anyway and even if they pay their taxes, buy stuff in JC, and help us get somewhat noticed, they still make more money than me so screw them. newport is so bland and there is relatively low crime compared to GV and that is so blah. More 99 cent stores, more project housing, less development, more artists living in houses for free or at below market rates..

Can I join your clubs now?

Posted on: 2013/3/13 19:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

PEC0905 wrote:
Some of the low-end stores will go, and some will always be here. A mix is good for everybody.

Look at LES in the City, you have fancy new buildings side by side with projects. Live music venues and trendy restaurants on one block, bodegas, community gardens and barbershops on the next. The rent-control and subsidized housing isn't going anywhere, and the same goes for JC.

Newark Ave is gritty and that's not a bad thing. It's only a matter of time before some cheap stores leases end and higher end tenants will definitely follow. Unfortunately some long time residents and store owners will eventually be priced out.

However there will always be a place for bodegas, barbershops and cheap late night eats Downtown. There is much more rent control around here then some new residents realize, and there's nothing wrong with that. We need to keep flavor and culture and the only way to do that is have rich and poor side by side. Otherwise the neighborhood would be all yuppie transplants from the Midwest and trust fund babies. They keep can all that nonsense over in Park Slope, I like where we are headed....

I would take bodegas or barber shops over what we have now - numerous 99 cent stores. It's tacky, doesn't help the community, actually makes the neighborhood less appealing to those who want to move here, and I question the quality of the products sold there.

You think you're being so "nice" by arguing for these 99 cent stores and stores with the name "cheap" in them in staying open, you minus well be arguing for the gas pipeline. These stores ruin communities as much as the gas pipeline will ruin JC.

Please tell me how being able to get a birthday card in spanish for .99 or a roll of toilet paper for .79 on my walk home from the path is the same as backing the pipeline.

Easy.

No one wants to live near a major pipe. No one wants to live next to numerous 99 cent stores.

No one wants to visit you if you live next to a major pipe. No one wants to visit you if you live in a neighborhood with numerous 99 cent stores.

Major gas pipes reduce property values. Numerous 99 cent stores reduce property values.

Major gas pipelines do not better a community and the same for 99 cent stores.

If you really want JC to improve, you would not want those 99 cent stores. Actually, why don't you just order directly from China - buy direct.

Posted on: 2013/3/13 18:54

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/19 19:16
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

PEC0905 wrote:

Relax buddy, nobody is arguing for the 99 cent stores. Its obvious that those will be gone when their leases expire. Developers will be ready to pounce when those spaces become available, no need to get your panties in a bunch while they are still here.
My only point is that too much change will ruin the neighborhood, and we need the independent mom and pop shops to stick around.
By the way, unless your daily walk on Newark is limited to between Grove and Barrow, there are several bodegas, barbershops, and other independent businesses that serve the community and are welcome here.
I like my cortadito from La Conguita and roast chicken from Yulie's Place. Cant beat picking up a 22 on the walk to the barbershop. Dinner and a drink at The Barge is classic. The breads at Pecoraro's are legendary. If we lose these types of spots, then we lose the neighborhood.
No need for multiple Pret's and Starbucks on every other block with a bougie bakery in between.
On another note, not sure how any of this is related to the
pipeline, so no need to comment on that one.

Posted on: 2013/3/13 18:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
If you want JC neighborhoods to improve, you have to look at the schools. The public schools in JC are a disgrace. Ferris, Dickson, Snyder, Lincoln - all terrible.

Someone mentioned that NJ schools are producing criminals and I agree - with the above schools the highest offenders.

Start with the kids and everything else will fall into place.

Jersey City girl's nose broken when she refused sex demand from schoolmate: cops

Posted on: 2013/3/13 18:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:

Discount stores are some of the few remaining places where I can find expendable household products that are worth exactly what I pay for them. Not every transaction needs to make me feel like I?m shopping for a Leica.

Posted on: 2013/3/13 18:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned
While we are at it, the two ugly brown high rises in Newport and the ugly high rises on Montgomery/Warren/CC/Marin also Make the neighborhoods less appealing.

Posted on: 2013/3/13 17:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

PEC0905 wrote:

Posted on: 2013/3/13 17:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/21 20:29
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
I love Jersey City!

If I had time, I would love to create the antithesis to this video...

Is it... Detroit?

Is it... Karachi?

Is it... Tijuana?

Could also work.

But honestly, this exact thread with a different title pops up at least once a month. yawn.

Posted on: 2013/3/13 17:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PEC0905 wrote:

Posted on: 2013/3/13 17:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
What exactly is a "you're not welcome in this neighborhood look" ... a scowl?

Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/3/13 16:35

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/19 19:16
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/3/13 15:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
What exactly is a "you're not welcome in this neighborhood look" ... a scowl?

Posted on: 2013/3/13 15:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:

Whenever I walk by those establishments, I make sure to give my "you're not welcome in this neighborhood" look to the store owners and the people who frequent those establishments

I'm never sure which to abhor more: the self-entitlement of the native poors eventually priced out of the neighborhood they were born into or the self-entitlement of new money douchebags who prove money can't buy class.

Posted on: 2013/3/13 15:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Are commercial leases public information? It would be nice to know when some of the low-end stores might be expected to leave.

Posted on: 2013/3/13 14:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
The discrepancy in rents (very high) versus the quality of current retail choices on Newark Ave (very low) is almost absurd at this point. When decent 1-bedrooms were in the $1100-1300 range, you accepted Sleep Cheap and 99 Cent Dreams, now it's like an insult.

HA!!! Exactly my point.

Whenever I walk by those establishments, I make sure to give my "you're not welcome in this neighborhood" look to the store owners and the people who frequent those establishments

I bet that really gets their goat.

Posted on: 2013/3/13 14:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
The discrepancy in rents (very high) versus the quality of current retail choices on Newark Ave (very low) is almost absurd at this point. When decent 1-bedrooms were in the $1100-1300 range, you accepted Sleep Cheap and 99 Cent Dreams, now it's like an insult.

HA!!! Exactly my point.

Posted on: 2013/3/13 13:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

HA!!! Exactly my point.

Posted on: 2013/3/13 13:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/3/13 13:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Best post I've read in a long time!

Posted on: 2013/3/13 3:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
Quote:

This is actually why I specifically like JC and the kinds of people it attracts. It doesn't have to be Brooklyn to have it's own cool vibe going on. Moving to JC is probably a pragmatic decision for a lot of people which means these people are also mature enough, laid back enough, and unpretentious enough to move to the "wrong side of the Hudson".

I also think the fact that JC is a bit more affordable means that it's less vulnerable to the very upper middle class white person insanity that has become an issue in places like Park Slope. Here the SUV stroller set has to coexist with so many other demographics - it keeps the vibe varied. You also aren't going to see trust fund college kids "slumming it" in Jersey.

Basically I want JC to continue being perceived as "scary" or really hard to get to by the type of people who see NYC as a luxury playground/shopping mall, because it keeps it cheaper and interesting. People are talking about JC's lack of national reputation like that is a bad thing. Sleeper towns are usually the best balance of everything; once a place is having it's "moment" that's the death rattle.

I agree with you, on most of this. However, DT is getting way over-priced and some of the recent transplants are bringing their NYC MTA rudeness to their PATH train etiquette, which blows. I do recall a time when people actually waiting for those on the train to all exit before pushing their way in. And rents are getting out of control.

Agreed, IMO I don't think anywhere in JC is worth anything over 2k a month. Anything outside of NYC charging that much should be low in crime and clean.

And I'll go even further to say that a 2 bd. should not be more than $1500-$1700 anywhere in JC, unless its over 1300-1500 sq. ft. in in a luxury building.

rofl. Studios in luxury condos/rentals without parking might go for 1500-1700 and those are anywhere from 400-600 square feet.

Do you know the POSITIVE impact high rents have on JC? As much as you would like JC to be a wasteland of ghettoness and 99 cent stores, I pray everyday that rents go higher.

High rents and downtown JC's proximity and transportation connection to the center of the world (namely NYC) means we can attract the kind of residents who will then attract quality establishments - like a trader joes or a whole foods. Or some nice retail to replace "rainbow" and "payless" and "sleep cheap"

I'm sorry, I'm posting on the wrong board. Let me get back to the jclist mantra of hating on Newport, downtown, high income earners, and praising highly subsidized housing for artists and in return they can graffiti our building walls with "art"

Posted on: 2013/3/13 1:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
I love Jersey City!

Posted on: 2013/3/13 1:34

Edited by user1111 on 2013/3/13 2:02:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:

And I'll go even further to say that a 2 bd. should not be more than $1500-$1700 anywhere in JC, unless its over 1300-1500 sq. ft. in in a luxury building.

You are going to need a flux capacitor to find rents that low.

Posted on: 2013/3/13 1:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:

I don't want to burst your real estate bubble, but that isn't really true anymore.

Posted on: 2013/3/12 23:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:

Say whatever you want, the market has the last word. There's currently on Craigslist only 11 2+ bedrooms under $1700 Downtown out of a couple of hundred listings.

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/searc ... k=&maxAsk=1700&bedrooms=2

Posted on: 2013/3/12 23:13

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017