Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
94 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 94

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Rich Boggiano for Jersey City Council Ward C
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/19 0:07
From Pizza City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

shadrack wrote:
Quote:

RichBoggiano wrote:
... retired city Police Officer Richard Boggiano might put pressure on Ward C City Councilwoman Nidia Lopez, who is running for her second term.

Lopez is running with Fulop. Boggiano, who is president of the Hilltop Neighborhood Association, is running on his own and is not affiliated with a mayoral candidate.

Ms. Lopez is hoping to ride the wave of Fulop's popularity. She remained as quiet as a church mouse until Healy mentioned that three Latinas may have "pulled off his towel" while he was drunk. All of sudden, she's Sojourner Truth and calls a press conference. I have yet to speak to one person in the ward who is voting for Ms. Lopez.

I admire anyone who puts himself out there under the scrutiny of the electorate and that includes Mr. Boggiano's opponents, but come on Ward C. This is your chance for real "full time" representation and action for a Ward with a ton of potential. Vote for Richard Boggiano.

That has not been mine or my neighbor's experiences of Councilwoman Lopez. She really helped us out. I'm trying to learn more about Mr. Boggiano on this thread. Can you tell me more about your personal experiences, how you asked Councilwoman Lopez to help you with your issues in Ward C and her responsiveness? Also, what specifically do you think qualifies Mr. Boggiano (aside from the fact that he is not Councilwoman Lopez)?

Posted on: 2013/5/18 2:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Pizza City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RichBoggiano wrote:
Prismatic - Thanks for your wishes and support. Voters this week indicated they want change from the status quo. I think Ward C will vote that way on June 11.

JCCheerleader - I'm a believer in old fashioned police presence. The short answer is more cops in the areas they are needed most at the times when they stand to do the most benefit. Encouraging cops to stay and raise their kids in the city (only about 30% live in the city) is the simplest fix given our budget. A cop is a cop 24-7 and most carry weapons while off duty. Magnolia Ave is safer because I've lived there for so many years that criminals avoid the area because of me. I'd love it if we could find the right incentives to encourage 550 or so additional police to remain in the city so they could do the same. It's the most cost effective method of increasing police presence I can think of. It also gives those officers a vested interest in the city's future. The same can be said for fire fighters, teachers, and other city employees. Getting rid of city cars would be one step in that direction - we pay gas, mileage, and maintenance and more or less provide an incentive for people to live out in suburbia somewhere.

Interesting. But I don't think there's a shortage of applicants who want to join the police. Overall, considering most police are on duty during the day when very little crime happens, do you think switching them to nights might be a cheaper solution? Maybe you could just get the police chief to be more effective with his scheduling. That would be cheaper for us, don't you think?
Also, I don't remember hearing or reading about two robberies at gun point in that short amount of time in the Square in the recent past. Are you sure your volunteer was getting his facts right?

Posted on: 2013/5/18 2:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
It's looking good for Rich Boggiano.

-----

Jersey City runoff elections tend to favor first-place finishers

By Terrence T. McDonald
The Jersey Journal
May 16, 2013

Good news for the first-place winners in Tuesday?s Jersey City City Council elections: history indicates they will likely go on to win their runoff elections.

Since 2001, there have been 12 runoff elections for council races, and in all but one case, the first-place finisher in the first round of balloting won the subsequent runoff.

That one exception occurred in 2001, when every council race resulted in a runoff. Peter Brennan, the current councilman at large who lost on the first ballot that year in his bid to become the Ward A councilman, later scored a strong win in the runoff.

Brennan now faces another runoff. He, Councilwoman at large Viola Richardson and former mayoral aide Omar Perez finished behind Mayor-elect Steve Fulop?s at-large council team: Councilman at large Rolando Lavarro (no stranger to runoffs himself), Daniel Rivera and the Rev. Joyce Watterman.

Only Ward E Councilwoman-elect Candice Osborne won her council race outright on Tuesday night. The remaining eight races will be decided after the Tuesday, June 11 runoff elections.

First-place finishers this time around include former schools chief Charles T. Epps Jr. in Ward A; council aide Khemraj ?Chico? Ramchal in Ward B; retired Jersey City cop Rich Boggiano in Ward C; business owner Michael Yun in Ward D; and Councilwoman Diane Coleman in Ward F.

More: http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... y_runoff_elections_t.html

Posted on: 2013/5/17 22:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RichBoggiano wrote:
Prismatic - Thanks for your wishes and support. Voters this week indicated they want change from the status quo. I think Ward C will vote that way on June 11.

JCCheerleader - I'm a believer in old fashioned police presence. The short answer is more cops in the areas they are needed most at the times when they stand to do the most benefit. Encouraging cops to stay and raise their kids in the city (only about 30% live in the city) is the simplest fix given our budget. A cop is a cop 24-7 and most carry weapons while off duty. Magnolia Ave is safer because I've lived there for so many years that criminals avoid the area because of me. I'd love it if we could find the right incentives to encourage 550 or so additional police to remain in the city so they could do the same. It's the most cost effective method of increasing police presence I can think of. It also gives those officers a vested interest in the city's future. The same can be said for fire fighters, teachers, and other city employees. Getting rid of city cars would be one step in that direction - we pay gas, mileage, and maintenance and more or less provide an incentive for people to live out in suburbia somewhere.

How can you encourage police and fire to reside in Jersey City? Under the law you can't force them and I doubt salary incentives are legal.

Posted on: 2013/5/17 20:59

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/16 18:43
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/5/17 20:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Pizza City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RichBoggiano wrote:
I had a new volunteer join my campaign last night. He moved to Jersey City a few months ago and has been robbed twice at gunpoint since he got here. He decided to volunteer after the most recent of the two experiences.

Jersey City has a crime problem. If you step back it's amazing how desensitized to crime so many people have become. In other words, they accept fear as a fact of life (don't venture out at night, never leave anything in their car, don't bother reporting crimes, etc).

This costs us. Big time. Good people move from the city, especially when they have a family that they fear for. It's a very complex problem with no simple solution, but intelligent management of our schools, police department, and city government could go such a long way to improve the situation.

No change will happen if you do not vote on May 14th. Please ask your friends, family, and neighbors to vote on election day. Tell them now so it's no surprise 12 days from now.

What do you think contributed to his being robbed twice at gun point (I'm assuming he was robbed here in Jersey City and reported it to the police each time?) and what would you as Councilperson to help him in his Ward where he was robbed?

Posted on: 2013/5/17 12:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/10 21:37
From The Heights.
Group:
Registered Users
Glad to see you atop the race cor Ward C Mr. Boggiano. I'm not a Ward C resident but I believe that you are the best candidate for the seat. Good luck in the run-off.

Posted on: 2013/5/15 3:14

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Wow! What a night!  It looks like we're headed to a runoff, but I am absolutely thrilled with tonight's outcome.  To come out #1 as an independent council candidate is nearly unheard of in Jersey City politics.  In fact, I believe the last time it happened was when Steve Fulop was first elected.

Also, congrats to Steve Fulop on his win tonight and best of luck during the next four years as mayor.

Last, thanks to everyone who came out to vote today and a special thanks to my corps of volunteers who manned the polls from dawn until dusk.  I could not have done this without you!

Posted on: 2013/5/15 3:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/10 4:08
Group:
Registered Users
Good Luck Richard!

Mom and Sis voted for you this morning. Ward C cannot afford a meek, tainted, and ineffective council member for another four years.

Semper Fi

Posted on: 2013/5/14 14:59

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Please Vote Today! Tell your friends, family, and neighbors to vote. Email, call, Facebook, Tweet, text, or send a smoke signal, but get them to the polls!

Posted on: 2013/5/14 9:28

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

If anyone wants to volunteer for tomorrow for my campaign (Rich Boggiano, Ward C) you can do so here: http://www.jcboggiano.com/contact

Posted on: 2013/5/13 20:34

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I'm happy to announce two great endorsements today! The first is from Sue Mack, who ran in the 2011 special election and is known for her work on the Board of Education. The second is in the Jersey Journal today. Here's the excerpt from the Jersey Journal article:

WARD C

Every City Council needs someone who thinks of their constituents as good neighbors and who can seriously claim no affiliation with any political group.

For these reasons, Ward C voters should elect Hilltop Neighborhood Association activist and retired city police officer Richard Boggiano.
While the entire episode of incumbent Councilwoman Nidia Lopez' residency, Florida or Jersey City, has been settled, voters should still be displeased. Her record can be simplified by looking at the state of Journal Square.

There is not enough experience or background to suggest that candidates Adela Rohena or Janet Chevres deserve seats on the City Council.

Posted on: 2013/5/10 14:25

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/25 16:53
Group:
Registered Users
Rich Boggiano has my vote. Lopez has been a major disappointment-- in this campaign, and more importantly, in the past 4 years.

Posted on: 2013/5/8 18:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/10 4:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RichBoggiano wrote:
... retired city Police Officer Richard Boggiano might put pressure on Ward C City Councilwoman Nidia Lopez, who is running for her second term.

Lopez is running with Fulop. Boggiano, who is president of the Hilltop Neighborhood Association, is running on his own and is not affiliated with a mayoral candidate.

Ms. Lopez is hoping to ride the wave of Fulop's popularity. She remained as quiet as a church mouse until Healy mentioned that three Latinas may have "pulled off his towel" while he was drunk. All of sudden, she's Sojourner Truth and calls a press conference. I have yet to speak to one person in the ward who is voting for Ms. Lopez.

I admire anyone who puts himself out there under the scrutiny of the electorate and that includes Mr. Boggiano's opponents, but come on Ward C. This is your chance for real "full time" representation and action for a Ward with a ton of potential. Vote for Richard Boggiano.

Posted on: 2013/5/8 14:45

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hello everyone,

My campaign is looking for volunteers for next Tuesday. If you are able and willing you can send in your info at this link and someone from my campaign staff will contact you:

http://jcboggiano.com/contact

Even if you can only spare a couple of hours out of your day please think about coming out!

Thanks and remember to vote May 14!

Posted on: 2013/5/8 14:27

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Good piece here on the impact of independents on the election next week. This is definitely the best election for independents in a long time.

Here's the part of the article relevant to Ward C:

As early as March, the Fulop and Healy campaigns acknowledged that retired city Police Officer Richard Boggiano might put pressure on Ward C City Councilwoman Nidia Lopez, who is running for her second term.

Lopez is running with Fulop. Boggiano, who is president of the Hilltop Neighborhood Association, is running on his own and is not affiliated with a mayoral candidate. Healy?s candidate in Ward C is Janet Chevres. The Ward C field also includes Adela Rohena, who is running with mayoral candidate Jerry Walker.

?We?ve done two mailers already and there?s a third one going out next week,? Boggiano said last week.

While Fulop has had a heavy presence in Ward C mailboxes, only recently have his mailers included Lopez. Boggiano, in contrast, has relied on low-cost fliers to help raise his visibility throughout the ward.

Volunteers for Boggiano and Lopez have been out walking the streets in full force over the last several weekends, stumping for votes.

?We?d like to win this on the first ballot,? said Boggiano, who ran unsuccessfully for an at-large council seat in 2011. ?If it goes to a runoff, it goes to a runoff. But I think we can win on the first ballot.?

Full article:

http://www.hudsonreporter.com/view/fu ... #cb_post_comment_22467336

Posted on: 2013/5/6 18:20

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I had a new volunteer join my campaign last night. He moved to Jersey City a few months ago and has been robbed twice at gunpoint since he got here. He decided to volunteer after the most recent of the two experiences.

Jersey City has a crime problem. If you step back it's amazing how desensitized to crime so many people have become. In other words, they accept fear as a fact of life (don't venture out at night, never leave anything in their car, don't bother reporting crimes, etc).

This costs us. Big time. Good people move from the city, especially when they have a family that they fear for. It's a very complex problem with no simple solution, but intelligent management of our schools, police department, and city government could go such a long way to improve the situation.

No change will happen if you do not vote on May 14th. Please ask your friends, family, and neighbors to vote on election day. Tell them now so it's no surprise 12 days from now.

Posted on: 2013/5/2 18:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
If you ever attened an caucus or council meeting you would know the council members leave early all the time to attend meetings. It is a matter of choice.

I have attended council meetings & am usually appalled at the lax attitude exhibited by some when they get up to talk to someone or vanish for 10 min or so to do more than visit the restroom. Texting also shows a certain rudeness no matter how good you are at multi-tasking.

Posted on: 2013/4/25 11:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Tonight, April 25, 2013, Ms. Lopez left the council meeting early. The council meeting is considered city business but she did not leave early for the debate. There are many supporters out there who criticize me for not changing the date. If Ms. Lopez wanted to attend the debate she would have made the effort.

Posted on: 2013/4/25 4:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
If you ever attened an caucus or council meeting you would know the council members leave early all the time to attend meetings. It is a matter of choice.

Posted on: 2013/4/24 13:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Terrance McDonald, the Jersey Journal reporter, also attended the caucus meeting. He arrived 5 minutes before 7:00 PM to the Ward C debate. After the debate, I asked him about the caucus. He said when he left, they were near the end...meaning Ms. Lopez could have arrived if that was her wish.

Being near the end doesn't mean that something didn't come up. Not to defend Nidia but what if she didn't get out till the 7:30ish or so & just thought what's the point, there are the other 3 candidates. Not the best form to be sure, she should have at least popped her head in to say that though she wouldn't participate in the debate due to late arrival, she would stick around afterwards to speak with people.

Posted on: 2013/4/24 11:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Terrance McDonald, the Jersey Journal reporter, also attended the caucus meeting. He arrived 5 minutes before 7:00 PM to the Ward C debate. After the debate, I asked him about the caucus. He said when he left, they were near the end...meaning Ms. Lopez could have arrived if that was her wish.

Posted on: 2013/4/24 1:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SOS wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Rich Boggiano is the only candidate who showed up for the Ward C Debate.

https://vimeo.com/64657914

Why was the debate scheduled at the same time as the caucus meeting that Lopez had to attend? If only one person shows up, is it still a debate?

I saw Nidia today. The caucus ran longer than expected. But what was the excuse for the other two candidates? Janet (real name Awila) Chevres never responded to the invitation. This seems to be the norm for Healy's candidates. I would venture that he doesn't want anyone to know how uninformed his ticket is. Adela Rohena is a whole other story. I have heard that she happened to have surgery that day. Team Walker contacted Yvonne to confirm that she had been invited as late as Sunday, the day before the debate. (She was) So why didn't Rohena pick up a phone & let someone know. It would not have been an issue. Very unprofessional, imo.

So since there wasn't a debate proper, Rich was presented with the opportunity to have a one on one.

Posted on: 2013/4/24 0:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:

Why was the debate scheduled at the same time as the caucus meeting that Lopez had to attend? If only one person shows up, is it still a debate?

Posted on: 2013/4/23 20:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/4/23 20:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City election 2013: Ward C council debate turns into one-man show

By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal
April 22, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Tonight?s event at St. Joseph Parish in Jersey City was billed as a debate between the four Ward C City Council candidates, but it turned out to be a one-man show.

Rich Boggiano, a former police detective seeking to unseat incumbent Councilwoman Nidia Lopez, was the only one of the four candidates to make an appearance at the event, organized by Hudson County TV and city woman Yvonne Balcer.

During the roughly 30-minute debate, Boggiano declined to respond when Balcer asked him to comment on the absence of his three opponents. After the debate, he told The Jersey Journal what he thought.

?I think they should have shown up,? he said.

Lopez is seeking her second full term on the council. She was present at tonight?s council caucus, which started at 5:30 p.m. and was still going when the debate at St. Joseph began at 7.

Lopez?s challengers are Boggiano, JP Morgan analyst Janet Chevres, who is running on a ticket headed by Mayor Jerramiah Healy, and community activist Adela Rohena, who is running with mayoral hopeful Jerry Walker.

Balcer said she sent invitations to all the candidates. Lopez cited tonight?s caucus as a conflict and Balcer said she never heard from Chevres.

A Walker campaign official contacted Balcer as late as Sunday to be sure Rohena was invited. She was, according to Balcer.

Boggiano tonight answered Balcer?s questions about taxes, crime and real-estate development. The longtime leader of Journal Square?s Hilltop Neighborhood Association, Boggiano said he would continue his outspoken activism if elected to the nine-member council.

?There?s so many things that are wrong,? he said. ?If I get up on that council, I?m going to open my mouth and I won?t shut it.?

Boggiano praised the city?s Police Department, but said the city's elected officials are Jersey City to be ?the laughing stock of the United States.?

?What we need are police officers,? he said. ?You cannot run the city of Jersey City with 800 police officers.?

Ward C includes Journal Square and a portion of The Heights.

The election is Tuesday, May 14. The mayoralty and all nine council seats are up for grabs.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... election_2013_ward_2.html

Posted on: 2013/4/23 5:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I don't vote in Ward C, but I have respect for him that he's running an honorable campaign. I highly doubt that Boggiano would have approached Healy to run on his ticket. Because Rich has integrity.

Posted on: 2013/4/18 14:56

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hello everyone, I'm happy to announce some endorsements I received this week.

The first comes from leaders of Jersey City's Egyptian, Indian, and Pakistani communities. I've gotten to know each of these leaders over the last 10 years through West Point's Winning the Peace program, where I still volunteer my time (most recently last week). In addition to teaching future military leaders about foreign cultures, the program has brought a very diverse set of ethnic communities together and made Jersey City stronger as a result.

The second comes from former Acting Mayor and Ward C Councilman Joe Rakowski. Joe took over after Gerry McCann was indicted 20 years ago. He knows as well as anyone what centuries of corruption and patronage have done to this city.

I've dedicated my life to fighting waste, cutting red tape, and improving quality of life in Jersey City. I raised my kids here and have lived in the same house for over 30 years. Additionally, I've helped thousands of people over the years and have never asked for a "favor" in return.

If you'd like to read any of the pieces in the paper on the endorsements, here are the links:

http://www.nj.com/hudson/voices/index.ssf/2013/04/post_88.html

http://www.jerseycityindependent.com/ ... -candidate-rich-boggiano/

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... y_election_2013_midd.html

Posted on: 2013/4/18 14:03

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/3 23:54
Group:
Registered Users
I guess everyone in Ward C is supporting Boggiano for city council...

http://www.jerseycityindependent.com/ ... -candidate-rich-boggiano/

Posted on: 2013/4/16 19:38

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/3 23:54
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks Shadrack. I ran into Rich this past weekend and thought I'd check out his website. After seeing his videos I thought I'd share it with everyone.

Posted on: 2013/4/15 18:54

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017