Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
117 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 117

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Energy scammer in the nabe
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/21 19:38
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Had two different people ring our doorbell in Harsimus Cove today. This morning it was someone from "Commerce Energy," and I told them I wasn't interested.

And just a few minutes ago, the bell rang again and the visitor announced himself as "Electric & Gas Company." I asked what company specifically he was from, and after some back and forth he eventually replied "Liberty Energy."

I didn't even open the door for either of these guys, so I don't know if they're legitimate alternate energy suppliers or just crooks casing the neighborhood. Either way, keep your eyes open.

Posted on: 2013/11/8 22:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
I guess I will file this under problems of people who live dtjc. I mean really, we get shit like this happening all the time in GV from Verizon, Comcast, energy companies, to Jehovah Witnesses who occasional ring the bell. I just say I am not interested. Why waste the police time with this nonsense? Talk about paranoid.

Warning neighbors about scammers trying to rob them is being neighborly in my book, not paranoid. And stopping people from getting robbed is what we pay the police to do.

Posted on: 2013/3/1 13:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
I guess I will file this under problems of people who live dtjc. I mean really, we get shit like this happening all the time in GV from Verizon, Comcast, energy companies, to Jehovah Witnesses who occasional ring the bell. I just say I am not interested. Why waste the police time with this nonsense? Talk about paranoid.

Posted on: 2013/3/1 12:48

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/28 0:17
Group:
Registered Users
The reality is that these people try a lot of doors and find the elderly, impaired, and otherwise clueless to prey upon. If somebody tries this to you, you should call the police right away and let them come and scare the guys of your block at least.

Posted on: 2013/2/28 20:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Where can I get one of those energy company uniforms or maybe I can just wear a tie. I'd like to case the neighborhood see how much I can get away with. Should I start with a clip board and a pen ?

Posted on: 2013/2/28 14:21
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/18 15:56
Group:
Registered Users
+1

Posted on: 2013/2/28 3:59

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/7 13:33
From Monmouth St.
Group:
Registered Users
Yes to business cards! It's incredibly naive and unwise to give out your personal account information to some stranger with no formal ID. Especially when this person gives a confusing and suspect pitch. No two ways about it.

Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

LimpiarElSucio wrote:
Verizon used to rely heavily on third party and independent seasonal/temp contractors to sell fios, no reason to supply someone in that position w business cards, would be a waste of money. Semi-kinda agree with bounty on this one...

I want a business card and an ID it's the cost of doing business.

Posted on: 2013/2/26 19:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

LimpiarElSucio wrote:
Verizon used to rely heavily on third party and independent seasonal/temp contractors to sell fios, no reason to supply someone in that position w business cards, would be a waste of money. Semi-kinda agree with bounty on this one...

I want a business card and an ID it's the cost of doing business.

Posted on: 2013/2/26 12:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bounty wrote:
When a black dude knocks on your door it's gotta be a scam, right?
This is a legitimate business. Yes, it seems shady, but they are 3rd party energy resellers.
Why are you all so clueless and paranoid? Grow a pair or move the burbs.

They have grown a pair that is why when the door bell ring you have to be suspect in order to protect what you've got. Why wait till after the fact. If something happens because I was politically correct will you be there to help me pick up the pieces ?

Posted on: 2013/2/26 12:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
see Re: pseg "partners" asking to see my bill? thread.

isn't this the same scam?

Posted on: 2013/2/26 4:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bounty wrote:

This is a legitimate business. Yes, it seems shady, but they are 3rd party energy resellers.

I think your definition of "legitimate business" is not the same definition held by others.

Business card or not, who buys anything/does anything by having a conversation with someone at the door?

I don't even trust those "register to vote" organizers who will do God knows what with my information.

Posted on: 2013/2/26 4:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/8 0:52
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Verizon used to rely heavily on third party and independent seasonal/temp contractors to sell fios, no reason to supply someone in that position w business cards, would be a waste of money.

Semi-kinda agree with bounty on this one...

Posted on: 2013/2/26 4:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bounty wrote:

When someone comes to my door and lies about who he is, it's a scam plain and simple. Don't be a tool and bring race into it.

Posted on: 2013/2/26 2:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bounty wrote:

If it's legitimate they should at least have business cards to give out, brochures/pamphlets explaining the program and identification of their own. I am not turning over any personal information whatsoever to somebody who just comes to my door, tells me I'm going to save money on electric bills and has nothing to give me but a scrap of paper with their name and phone number. That's not a professional way to do business, and it does not matter what the skin color is of the salesperson is to me. I'd treat a white 3rd party energy reseller the same way. EnergyLink or whatever this company is needs to completely reform its business practices or it will have a shady reputation, no matter how legitimate it may be.

This is kind of a grown-up version of those groups of kids in my hometown (of all races, BTW) who sold magazine subscriptions door-to-door for prices that were way more than you could get just by calling the magazine yourself, got very little commission and claimed they were fundraising for the school sports team (always false). The kids often sounded hopped up on drugs. It made no sense.

Posted on: 2013/2/26 2:02

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/27 19:51
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/2/26 1:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Did any of you call the cops?

Yep. I did.

Posted on: 2013/2/26 0:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Don't show them your PSE&G bill once they get your account number your supplier will be switched over from PSE&G to the company of the salesman who looked at your bill. It happened to a senior citizen neighbor of mine. She caught the scam in time and called PSE&G to have it switched back...to normal. Read you bills !

Posted on: 2013/2/25 23:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Did any of you call the cops?

Posted on: 2013/2/25 23:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
We live in desperate times and high unemployment - Other scams are 'gypsy' roof repairs that a very cheap and want money for materials upfront but either never arrive or do a quick crap job. Also take note of your fuel level in your car - I've noted in my neighborhood an increase in fuel theft.

Posted on: 2013/2/25 23:16
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/12 15:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Kitty_Galore wrote:
The "break-in" thread entry about a fake PSE&G representative sounds like something that happened at my Hamilton Park home today. I answered my door this afternoon to see a nice young African American man, wearing some kind of uniform-looking dark clothing, who tried to come across as some kind of quasi-official consumer advocate who was there to save us from unjustly high PSE&G bills. I was actually expecting the UPS man and it was all just odd and confusing enough to engage me in conversation, but I'm glad I got to hear his spiel so I can warn my neighbors.

The guy assured me that PSE&G was overcharging us by some particular percent and he'd save us money if only I'd give him some information about our account. He was, in fact, a salesman from a company called Energy Plus (which is being sued for consumer fraud -- see http://www.courthousenews.com/2012/05/04/46237.htm).

I quickly realized it was just an in-person version of the high-pressure phone calls we recently demanded to have stopped, so I got rid of him by asking for a card and said we'd call him. He didn't even have a card and gave me a scrap of paper with his name and number. Sheesh.

Yep, I met him today also on Coles St. Shy-ish guy.

If he was more assertive, I wouldn't have thought anything of it; when he walked away at my first "no" I thought he wasn't legit, since most solicitors take the first "no" as a maybe.

me: "Hmmm, that was too easy and pleasant an exchange...CRIME SYNDICATE AT WORK!"

I turned to JC list to re-read up on the Hamilton Park "break-in" thread immediately after. Vigilance is digging around JC List archives after any stranger rings my door bell.

Paranoid much? Mmm..Yeah. But I did notice him tramping around my block, spending more time (talking on his cellphone) outside of the empty houses then then time spent selling me.

Posted on: 2013/2/25 23:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/7 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
I had two people come by my place on Hamilton Park but said they were with Verizon.
They caught me as I was walking in the door, so I talked with them a few minutes.
They kept wanting to come in to discuss how they could save us money over Comcast and I kept asking for a business card and would reach back out to them after speaking with my wife.
They didn't have business cards and said that Verizon sent them out to talk with people in person so they didn't need cards (made absolutely no sense).
Anyway I finally got rid of them and they said they would just stop by again later.

Posted on: 2013/2/25 22:11

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Monmouth St.
Group:
Registered Users
Yeah, the way this guy was talking it sounded at first like he was some kind of quality-assurance person from PSE&G. As I said, it was confusing.

Posted on: 2013/2/25 21:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Bet it was the same guy. I also live just off Monmouth near HP.

Posted on: 2013/2/25 21:37

Energy scammer in the nabe
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Monmouth St.
Group:
Registered Users
The "break-in" thread entry about a fake PSE&G representative sounds like something that happened at my Hamilton Park home today. I answered my door this afternoon to see a nice young African American man, wearing some kind of uniform-looking dark clothing, who tried to come across as some kind of quasi-official consumer advocate who was there to save us from unjustly high PSE&G bills. I was actually expecting the UPS man and it was all just odd and confusing enough to engage me in conversation, but I'm glad I got to hear his spiel so I can warn my neighbors. The guy assured me that PSE&G was overcharging us by some particular percent and he'd save us money if only I'd give him some information about our account. He was, in fact, a salesman from a company called Energy Plus (which is being sued for consumer fraud -- see http://www.courthousenews.com/2012/05/04/46237.htm). I quickly realized it was just an in-person version of the high-pressure phone calls we recently demanded to have stopped, so I got rid of him by asking for a card and said we'd call him. He didn't even have a card and gave me a scrap of paper with his name and number. Sheesh.

Posted on: 2013/2/25 21:22

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017