Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
116 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 116

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Chromium removal at Metropolis towers to begin soon
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
I don't have any insider knowledge, but I'm fairly sure the paving was done as a stopgap until the planning for the new buildings was completed. That land is too valuable to stay a parking lot, but they had to get the chormium removed before they could move ahead.

Got to agree with you. It's hard to imagine leaving remediated soil uncovered

Posted on: 2014/6/24 15:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/30 14:17
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
Most of the shareholders are holdovers from the conversion to co-op, and they're senior citizens or their descendants. I'm sure they'll be happy to cash in on their investments.

Maybe. They were definitely happy to do so before the chromium was uncovered. Perhaps years of constant construction work will have put them off, though. Regardless, the current situation is temporary. The cleanup was done by the polluters, who weren't responsible for any new construction that might happen, so there's no coordination. And the plans from before the chromium was discovered were not hashed out in any particular detail. It'll be at least two years before anything rises there.

Posted on: 2014/6/24 0:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
Most of the shareholders are holdovers from the conversion to co-op, and they're senior citizens or their descendants. I'm sure they'll be happy to cash in on their investments.

Posted on: 2014/6/23 21:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/9 1:00
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
Doesn't really matter how valuable the land is. Depends what the co-ops shareholders want to do.

Posted on: 2014/6/23 19:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
I don't have any insider knowledge, but I'm fairly sure the paving was done as a stopgap until the planning for the new buildings was completed. That land is too valuable to stay a parking lot, but they had to get the chormium removed before they could move ahead.

Posted on: 2014/6/23 15:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcman420 wrote:
Well, it appears that the rumors/ speculation that the chromium removal project between the Gregory Towers would result in retail space being added on the Christopher Columbus Drive side of the lot were just that-- rumors and speculation.
Unfortunately, the project appears completed and the *entirety* of the lot, right up to the cast iron fence along Columbus, has been outfitted with freshly-painted parking spaces.
So, the monstrous catastrophe of city planning that is that sprawling parking lot appears to be here for good. What an utter waste.
I'm sure the investors in that new high-rise above the PATH station are thrilled that they will be asking tenants to pay through the nose for apartments with little-to-no retail directly near them and beautiful views of a sprawling parking lot.

I would not want to live with retail space under my place of residence. And at least with a parking lot it will free up street space.

Posted on: 2014/6/23 12:57
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/28 15:24
Group:
Registered Users
Well, it appears that the rumors/ speculation that the chromium removal project between the Gregory Towers would result in retail space being added on the Christopher Columbus Drive side of the lot were just that-- rumors and speculation.

Unfortunately, the project appears completed and the *entirety* of the lot, right up to the cast iron fence along Columbus, has been outfitted with freshly-painted parking spaces.

So, the monstrous catastrophe of city planning that is that sprawling parking lot appears to be here for good. What an utter waste.

I'm sure the investors in that new high-rise above the PATH station are thrilled that they will be asking tenants to pay through the nose for apartments with little-to-no retail directly near them and beautiful views of a sprawling parking lot.

Posted on: 2014/6/22 21:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
As long as the parking lots go away (hidden inside the complex) and retail faces all outer sides, I think it will be vastly improved.

Posted on: 2014/3/3 23:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Conformist wrote:
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Quote:

Conformist wrote:
Quote:

jcman420 wrote:
Looks like they've made significant progress on the area between the two co-op towers near Columbus and Marin.

Anyone know what the current plan is for when the remediation is completed? Most importantly, will they open up that space between the towers to pedestrian foot traffic between Columbus and Montgomery?

No; before the chromium was discovered in soil testing, the plan was to build new towers along Columbus, Warren and Montgomery. Given the strength of the real estate market, I think that construction is likely to proceed once clean-up is complete. In any case, I don't see much value to putting a one-block street in there; it would still be blocked at the northern and southern ends.

I may be mis-remembering because I saw the plans so long ago (Tommy had them at Brightside), but I thought the plan was to open it up for pedestrians and have retail along the main streets and little pedestrian plaza with retail between Columbus and Montgomery.

My understanding was that the retail was to line the whole length of Columbus, without any break. The development map floating around certainly makes it look that way. But plans may not have been solidly set at any time.

Frankly, this seems like a terrible idea and an extremely poor use of key downtown space. I was aware of the former Gregory Ave. and also thought it would be unlikely that a new public street would be commissioned. However, I, at the very least, expect the area to be opened up to pedestrian traffic.

As it stands, the Montgomery Towers, with their sprawling parking lots act as a colossal, two-square-block barrier between Paulus Hook and the Grove Street area. I think the area could be re-developed in a far more pedestrian-friendly way than simply lining the Columbus St. side with storefronts.

As I've said before, if that is indeed the plan, it is a city planning nightmare and the city council should get involved.

Posted on: 2014/3/3 22:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Quote:

Conformist wrote:
Quote:

jcman420 wrote:
Looks like they've made significant progress on the area between the two co-op towers near Columbus and Marin.

Anyone know what the current plan is for when the remediation is completed? Most importantly, will they open up that space between the towers to pedestrian foot traffic between Columbus and Montgomery?

No; before the chromium was discovered in soil testing, the plan was to build new towers along Columbus, Warren and Montgomery. Given the strength of the real estate market, I think that construction is likely to proceed once clean-up is complete. In any case, I don't see much value to putting a one-block street in there; it would still be blocked at the northern and southern ends.

I may be mis-remembering because I saw the plans so long ago (Tommy had them at Brightside), but I thought the plan was to open it up for pedestrians and have retail along the main streets and little pedestrian plaza with retail between Columbus and Montgomery.

My understanding was that the retail was to line the whole length of Columbus, without any break. The development map floating around certainly makes it look that way. But plans may not have been solidly set at any time.

Posted on: 2014/3/3 21:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/18 3:56
Group:
Registered Users
Gregory St. cut diagonally through the block. It was parallel with Newark Ave., which used to continue past Grove.

The plan several years ago -- back before they demolished the old corridor that connected the two buildings -- was to build a high-rise parking garage with ground-level retail in between the two existing towers, and then once the cars were relocated to build towers where the side parking lots are now. If that ever happens you'd likely be able to cut through the store to cross the block.

Posted on: 2014/3/3 19:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Conformist wrote:
Quote:

jcman420 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/3/3 19:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcman420 wrote:

Posted on: 2014/3/3 18:53

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/29 17:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcman420 wrote:

That area you mention used to be a public street called Gregory ST. It was home to the old Capital Theatre. It was eliminated when they redeveloped the area and built the Greogry Park Apartments. Their are no plans after the project is complete. Although that can change at anytime. Once the cleanup is done the property will become more deseriable.

Posted on: 2014/3/3 18:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/3/2 22:29

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/5 21:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

moobycow wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
will they be building bright, shiny new towers after the chromium is cleaned up at the metropolis site?

Actually, I think they will be but they'll be squeezed in. Apparently there is room on site for two new towers and to ring most of the property with retail of some kind.

I get angry almost every day walking by this waste of space. Retail around the ring where all the fences are would be a great use of space and a huge boon to creating an actual neighborhood.

Posted on: 2013/2/25 18:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/8 0:52
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Might surprise you to know that at the time those towers were built they were actually considered nice looking compared to the area. According to my old man those towers were actually the first two "luxury" buildings built in Jersey City. Its funny how times and taste change...

Depending on the exact location of the building, something significantly different from the current towers might end up looking even worse since it wouldn't fit the surroundings at all. I think they might be refacing and renovating the balconies on the building. A facelift should make them look a lot better

Posted on: 2013/2/25 15:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Yikes, this is concerning since one of my friends lives over at 270 Marin.

Posted on: 2013/2/25 4:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I kind of wish they could do better than emulating the (hideous) architecture of the existing Metropolis Towers!

Posted on: 2013/2/22 23:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
The last development plan for the site included:

Replacing the old central building -- since torn down -- with a parking garage and some retail. This will be larger than the previous center building and extend as far as Montgomery Street.

The next phase would include two 23 story residential towers along Columbus with retail from the corner at Marin down Columbus.

The final phase was not ever designed and presented but included additional buildings on Montgomery and Warren Street corners.

DMR has renderings from a few years back:
http://www.dmrarchitects.com/portfoli ... php??Metropolis-Towers-61

Posted on: 2013/2/22 17:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
will they be building bright, shiny new towers after the chromium is cleaned up at the metropolis site?

Actually, I think they will be but they'll be squeezed in. Apparently there is room on site for two new towers and to ring most of the property with retail of some kind.

Posted on: 2013/2/22 16:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
That's the 1960s for you.

They are ugly and a terrible use of the allotted space, but there could be an abandoned factory or an asian-fusion restaurant there instead.

Posted on: 2013/2/22 16:45

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/6 21:33
Group:
Banned
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

Hopefully... the place is an eyesore... (insert evil laugh here)

Posted on: 2013/2/22 16:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/2/22 16:09

Chromium removal at Metropolis towers to begin soon
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
While most of the chromium-cleanup talks have centered around the site on Garfield Ave., there are other, albeit much smaller, contaminated sites that need remediation. One exists at the Metropolis Towers on the corner of Christoper Columbus, Marin and Montgomery.

This site was contaminated when chromium-mixed soil was used as fill.

Quote:
PPG sells the Garfield Avenue plant. For many years prior to 1963, chromite ore processing residue was used as fill in construction projects.

In 2009, it was reported that there was chromium only under the western-most parking lot and under the now-demolished third building, which is currently just a fenced-off concrete slab:

Quote:
Hexavalent chromium concentrations exceeding soil cleanup criteria have been detected in the soil beneath parking areas and recently demolished buildings. Hexavalent chromium has not been detected beneath the residential towers. One of five monitoring wells has detected total chromium concentrations in excess of groundwater quality standards.

http://www.chromecleanup.com/flash/pdfs/jc/Site156.pdf

Then, yesterday, NJ.com reports:

Quote:
After the Oct. 29 storm, officials discovered a ?small patch? of cancer-causing hexavalent chromium in the basement boiler room of Metropolis Towers? Building 2, said Brian McPeak, project manager for the cleanup.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... emoval_at_jersey_cit.html

Chromium inside the building! Whoops!

Cleanup plans are still underway, although Sandy did put the Metropolis cleanup behind schedule:

Quote:
An effort to remove chromium-laced soil from the Metropolis Towers site in Downtown Jersey City is expected to begin within weeks and last for a little more than a year

NJDEP, Jersey City, and PPG have created the Chromium Cleanup Partnership for questions and concerns and...

Quote:

have agreed to participate in a process to clean up PPG?s 20 chromium sites in Hudson County. As part of their 2009 agreement, the participants established a five-year goal for cleaning up all PPG sites.

http://www.chromecleanup.com/

Please know that this is not just another construction project. The area around Marin & Christoper Columbus is like a wind tunnel. Know what's in the air you're breathing. Ask questions, stay informed, etc etc....

Posted on: 2013/2/22 16:00

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017