Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
127 user(s) are online (114 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 127

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Steve Fulop candidate for Jersey City Mayor announces anti-crime plan
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/14 23:51
From The West Side!
Group:
Registered Users
This plan is a good example of why I'm supporting Steve Fulop.

It actually takes us seriously. It's the result of listening to residents, and police officers. For anybody who wants to read the plan (7 pages), it gives a really good idea of what he will be working on if elected.

"Community policing" can be a nice feel-good phrase. But the plan fleshes out what he means. There are administrative changes which are realistic. And there is a vision, which prioritizes what happens on our blocks and in our neighborhoods. That happens when police have a strategy and relationships with the people they serve.

I've been privileged to know some really good cops and have also had pretty positive experiences with them in action. But the police department needs leadership at the top, which has been lacking.

Critique the plan if you have something to contribute. Throw out some more ideas. Steve listens.

But Mayor Healy has had more than eight years, and he's never dreamed of a plan. His administration is simply not capable of thinking big. His idea of an anti-crime plan seems to be that "eye in the sky" nonsense.

Steve's plan is thoughtful and do-able. And a big step forward.

Posted on: 2013/2/8 4:07

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/21 20:09
Group:
Registered Users
Identifying this as a key JC problem, staking your campaign on it and putting a plan out are all the right moves. That the plan mentions getting police out of their patrol cars and to walk an actual beat is significant. There is far more foot patrol in Hoboken & Manhattan, contributing to safety on the streets.

Posted on: 2013/2/8 4:02

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/7 2:57
Group:
Registered Users
Does the police union have any comments? they will determine if this or any plan goes or flops

Posted on: 2013/2/8 0:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
And oh yeah, forbidden word of 2013. Anything that turns "incentive" into a verb, particularly a gerund.

Posted on: 2013/2/7 22:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
More details are needed. What functions will be turned over to civilians? I remember back in the Schundler administration there was a lot of controversy over the civilianization of the radio room. Schundler insisted that these were not law enforcement jobs and that civilians could perform the work, while cops insisted that at least some law enforcement personnel with proper training and familiarity needed to be there to oversee dispatch. Saying "get cops out of desk jobs" sounds good, but figuring out what constitutes a desk job isn't as easy as it sounds.

Posted on: 2013/2/7 22:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Here?s the link to the JCPD web site showing the history of the JCPD.

http://www.njjcpd.org/node/3

Seems like there were some good things happening over the years. Sad how there are no bullets (no pun intended) after 2004. Hmm now when did Healy get elected ?oh yeah in 2004???? I have a good feeling that we are going to see a lot of new bullets on the JCPD history web site after May 2013 and less on the streets of JC.

I for one am waiting to see this bullet?**** 2013 ? created a new real time crime blog on the JCPD web site (?blogospere?) to allow citizens to see when and where a crime was committed in real time. Will help in gathering tips with pertinent information about a crime (the actors descriptions and movements) and warn others about crimes taking place in the surrounding area.

I remember these below initiatives, but are they still around? Speaking of "Community Police Officer" what was the out come of the 1992 pilot program? Success or did it just disappear like everything else under past administrations? I am up for trying it (or ANYTHING) again!

February 4, 1974 - The Neighborhood Task Force was formed. The force consisted of 40 police on lightweight motorcycles patrolling selected neighborhood areas.

May 27, 1975 - The Neighborhood Task Force was reorganized into the new Special Patrol Bureau.

September 1992 - The East district began a pilot "Community Police Officer" program.

May 1997 - The Bicycle is introduced as a patrol vehicle.

PS ? hey Healy don?t go updating the web site now. We don?t need any Menendez type excuses like ?it was just an oversight. It is the little things like this that voters remember . Like keeping a police web site in a city of 240K people up to date.

Posted on: 2013/2/7 21:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/16 20:23
From not downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CandiceOsborne wrote:

...1) Requiring that leadership of departments live in the city

....1) Support career paths for police in a way that aligns with community needs by creating a new level (patrolman first class) in the patrol division and thereby encouraging people to stay in patrol
2) Incentivizing officers who choose tough patrol assignments

These are just a few points in a large plan that will go a long way to improving things.

I realize that it will take some time to implement, but it is encouraging to see this.

Posted on: 2013/2/7 20:47
I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.
W. C. Fields

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Here's a plan. Build more prisons, but violent criminals away for life, vasectomies for violent criminals...that will go a long way in reducing rampant criminality

Posted on: 2013/2/7 20:22

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/27 22:06
Group:
Registered Users
Did detective conners work on the crime plan too?
http://i1327.photobucket.com/albums/u ... /IMG_1007_zpsacccafba.jpg

Posted on: 2013/2/7 20:21

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/13 14:11
Group:
Registered Users
Hi everyone -

As a candidate for Ward E Council on Steven Fulop's ticket, I share Steven's views on this topic. Reform is needed and this plan clearly outlines what his administration aims to accomplish in conjunction with key leaders and experts in the field. This is a lengthy plan, so for now, let's just look at the first two sections where he addresses the need for a results-driven culture in the police department and community policing.

Results driven culture in the police department:
Success stems from an organizational culture that empowers people, which, in turn, creates a sense of accountability. This is aspirational, is needed and can be accomplished by:
1) Requiring that leadership of departments live in the city
2) Decentralizing the organization
3) Defining organization charts with clear lines of responsibility
4) Setting/reviewing goals for each department on a yearly basis

Community policing (with a special focus on foot patrol):
Community policing can be a nebulous term, but the ideas put forth in the plan are quite specific as to what the term means to Steven's administration:
1) Support career paths for police in a way that aligns with community needs by creating a new level (patrolman first class) in the patrol division and thereby encouraging people to stay in patrol
2) Incentivizing officers who choose tough patrol assignments
3) Embracing a proactive approach to policing where police come to the community (e.g., attending neighborhood meetings) rather than waiting for a reason to interact with them (e.g., in response to a crime)
4) Augment staff with reserve officers to fill administrative needs without heavy structural costs

These are just the first two major points that he addressed in the plan, so I encourage everyone to take a look at the plan, digest it and let it sink in. I hope when you do, that you are as excited about the possibilities for our city as I am.

Stay warm...I hear it is going to snow!
Candice

Posted on: 2013/2/7 19:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/4 14:31
Group:
Registered Users
I think the part about reducing administrative work done by uniformed police officers and rethinking efficiency resonates with anyone who has looked at doing strategic organization restructuring.

Hiring 22 additional police offers like Healy did looks good on paper and probably contributed to 4x that in voter support (officers plus family and friends) but if the city and taxpayers get diminishing returns - then what good is it ? Especially if they are just playing the numbers game.

Team Fulop's continuing efforts at transparency and rethinking city government are a welcome change.

Posted on: 2013/2/7 18:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/8 0:52
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
It is a policy paper, not a business plan, it should not have specific figures. Restructurings of large organizations take a good amount of time to plan and execute and a paper like this is refreshing to see. It shows that one mayoral candidate actually has ideas on how to improve the quality of life in JC, not just say they think quality of life should be improved (Walker) or that the quality of life is good enough already (Healy).

We have a lot of great cops in this city but a lot of management/policies that dont result in good policing. There is lots of room to fix whats wrong so that we can support the city's cops fulfill their potential when it comes to protecting our city. Fulop said it best when he said we can strive to be even better.

Posted on: 2013/2/7 17:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/16 20:23
From not downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Steve has the guts to put his plans, with specifics, on paper.

The plan creates incentives to have police officers work when and where they are needed most (night time duty and also walking the beat). As opposed to the current system which incentivizes officers to ride in cars during the day (and then try to get off-duty work).

http://stevenfulop.com/platform

Posted on: 2013/2/7 17:03
I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.
W. C. Fields

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/23 13:29
Group:
Registered Users
Here are some things I'd like to know from this plan.

- What is the savings for a special versus a regular cop? If the city is not going to give them benefits, is this a violation of the Affordable Care Act that mandates health coverage?
- How many specials will be hired?
- Will fewer non-special police be hired because more specials will be available? If not, what is the increase in the police budget to pay for them? Where will that money come from?
- The plan makes this statement, "By reducing various layers of bureaucracy, we will save millions of taxpayer dollars ? money that can be used to hire additional police officers." What layers will be reduced? The Fulop team already knows the structure of the JCPD so why hasn't it said exactly what will be cut or restructured?
- What incentives will be made to police officers to work different shifts? Where will the money come from for these incentives?

I had a number of other questions as I read through the plan because it was limited on substance. Again, it's nice high level fluffy stuff, but the devil is always in the details.

Posted on: 2013/2/7 16:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
seems to me there's enough details:

-utilize civilians to the extent possible so we can have as many of our officers on the street. No uniformed police officer should be in a position that can be performed by a civilian at a lower
cost.

-Table of Organization sounds logical

-Class 2 Officers

among others

Posted on: 2013/2/7 16:00

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/23 13:29
Group:
Registered Users
This "plan" is a pretty vague. Better than nothing but it's full of generalizations and almost no specifics, especially when it comes to cost (or savings).

Posted on: 2013/2/7 15:49

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/26 16:41
Group:
Registered Users
It's a solid plan and, moreover, it's a plan.

Posted on: 2013/2/7 15:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/8 15:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
"Create a 'results-driven' culture" is another way of saying "create quotas." Great. Lots of meaningless tickets to clog the courts and little tangible effect on crime.

Yeah... I agree... it could also mean legalizing prostitution and crystal meth. And "restructuring the department" could also mean releasing pedophiles from prisons. I don't like this plan either.

Posted on: 2013/2/7 15:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
"Create a 'results-driven' culture" is another way of saying "create quotas." Great. Lots of meaningless tickets to clog the courts and little tangible effect on crime.

Posted on: 2013/2/7 14:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Commenter from the JJ piece: Quote:

Wow I am really impressed that someone is finally coming up with a plan to do something about the horrible crime in JC. The 600+ crimes a month that get reported to the JCPD (Compstat) and the one or two that show up in the Jersey Journal each month. (and Healy called the JJ a ?fear monger?? I don?t think so.)
Below is the Fulop public safety plan .pdf , nice to see something in writing not just the same old BS that is spewed out in the State of the City self promoting speeches from Healy and never followed up. Hey Comey and Healy where is that JCPD crime blog you promised? (that was suggested by a JJ blogger) The blog that we can view to see how much crime is being committed in JC and where it is being committed so we can secure our bodies and houses. A few house?s were broken into a block away from me last month. I just found out about it last week! It would have been nice to see it on the ?bolgoshere? so I could secure my property when it happened .
http://stevenfulop.com/sites/default/ ... op_public_safety_plan.pdf

Posted on: 2013/2/7 14:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/3 6:32
Group:
Registered Users
The mayoral campaign of Jersey City City Councilman Steve Fulop today revealed its plans to combat crime in New Jersey's second largest city.
Here is Steven Fulop's crime policy.
Will Healy and Walker publish a crime policy too?

http://stevenfulop.com/sites/default/ ... op_public_safety_plan.pdf

Posted on: 2013/2/7 4:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/19 17:53
Group:
Registered Users
Why not go to the Web site and read the whole policy paper.
It was a little wordy for my taste but it did answer the questions you just asked.
I like the idea of making the Brass live here.

Posted on: 2013/2/7 3:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
I'd like to hear some more specifics. "Community policing" is a catch-all term that sounds nice but is meaningless. What quantifiable goals do you support? What specific crimes will receive more attention? Do you intend to expand the force or increase its productivity or both? What are your intentions budget-wise? What do you think about "broken windows"?

Quote:

Stringer wrote:
Challenger to Jersey City mayor announces anti-crime plan

By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal
February 06, 2013 at 10:00 PM

The mayoral campaign of Jersey City City Councilman Steve Fulop today revealed its plans to combat crime in New Jersey's second largest city.

Increasing community policing, emplying more civilians to fill administrative roles and boosting communincation between police officers and community groups are among the items Fulop's camp believes will lower crime.

Fulop told The Jersey Journal that he feels he would be able to implement his plans without raising taxes significantly.

"Community policing doesn't require extra money. It requires a commitment," said Frank Gajewski, a former Jersey City police chief and Fulop's council candidate in Ward A.

Campaign polling has shown crime is the top concern for city residents, Fulop said. And residents feel that crime is getting worse despite statistics showing a decrease in crime in recent years.

"There's a huge difference between safety in some neighborhoods and safety in other neighborhoods," Fulop said.

Fulop is challening Mayor Jerramiah Healy in the May 14 city race. Former high school and college basketball star Jerry Walker has also announced he plans to run for the city's top job.

The Fulop campaign's seven-page anti-crime platform includes increased street patrols; the creation of a force comprising officers who will have police powers but will be either retired cops or trainees in the police academy; and a change in the boundaries of the police districts.

The campaign said it also intends to require police leadership to live in Jersey City. State statute forbids a ban on police officers who live elsewhere, but Fulop said he can require it of police brass who have appointed positions.

Fulop praised the Police Department, saying it does "an effective job," adding that "you can always strive to be better."

Healy campaign spokesman Joshua Henne, asked to comment, said the mayor has helped bring the city's homicide rate down to historic lows, without laying off cops. Henne added that police officials already meet with community groups.

"Mayor Healy wants to keep the progress going, and that's why his administration is constantly seeking input from the public and is committed to doing everything possible to continue making Jersey City a safer place," he said.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... _mayo_1.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2013/2/7 3:31

Steve Fulop candidate for Jersey City Mayor announces anti-crime plan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Challenger to Jersey City mayor announces anti-crime plan

By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal
February 06, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Increasing community policing, emplying more civilians to fill administrative roles and boosting communincation between police officers and community groups are among the items Fulop's camp believes will lower crime.

Fulop told The Jersey Journal that he feels he would be able to implement his plans without raising taxes significantly.

"Community policing doesn't require extra money. It requires a commitment," said Frank Gajewski, a former Jersey City police chief and Fulop's council candidate in Ward A.

Campaign polling has shown crime is the top concern for city residents, Fulop said. And residents feel that crime is getting worse despite statistics showing a decrease in crime in recent years.

"There's a huge difference between safety in some neighborhoods and safety in other neighborhoods," Fulop said.

Fulop is challening Mayor Jerramiah Healy in the May 14 city race. Former high school and college basketball star Jerry Walker has also announced he plans to run for the city's top job.

The Fulop campaign's seven-page anti-crime platform includes increased street patrols; the creation of a force comprising officers who will have police powers but will be either retired cops or trainees in the police academy; and a change in the boundaries of the police districts.

The campaign said it also intends to require police leadership to live in Jersey City. State statute forbids a ban on police officers who live elsewhere, but Fulop said he can require it of police brass who have appointed positions.

Fulop praised the Police Department, saying it does "an effective job," adding that "you can always strive to be better."

Healy campaign spokesman Joshua Henne, asked to comment, said the mayor has helped bring the city's homicide rate down to historic lows, without laying off cops. Henne added that police officials already meet with community groups.

"Mayor Healy wants to keep the progress going, and that's why his administration is constantly seeking input from the public and is committed to doing everything possible to continue making Jersey City a safer place," he said.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... _mayo_1.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2013/2/7 3:08

« 1 2 (3)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017