Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
118 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 118

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

Re: Speakeasy Lounge at Grove plaza
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/16 17:45
Group:
Registered Users
The Wine Bar (with the separate entrance) is now open. Anybody ventured in to the restaurant/bar lately?

https://www.facebook.com/grovesquarebistro

Posted on: 2014/1/4 22:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
At 6:45 PM today, Jeff Favia was outside complaining about the trucks in front of his business. What a jerk!

Posted on: 2013/10/10 23:22

Re: Speakeasy Lounge at Grove Square
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/16 12:23
Group:
Registered Users
went yesterday evening. bartender went out of his way to ensure that we got happy hour drinks and oysters in before he was closed out.

Posted on: 2013/10/9 19:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/7 4:11
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Is the Speakeasy Lounge the same as The Bistro or are they separate parts of the building with different menus?

It's my impression that there are more homeless hanging out in Grove Plaza since the Bistro opened. I attribute that, without any supporting data, to the sale of decent pizza at $1.25. Now that's ironic!

Unless you go after 11pm. It is now 2 bucks after 11pm. Guess they figure after 11 that the late night crowd will pay it. Added it in chalk next to the big 1.25 a slice sign. The last 2 slices I had there were also diminished quality. Free market goes both ways thou. I've now gone from 4 slices a week there after work to 0 slices a week & had 2 beautiful slices at Buon Appetit for lunch today on my day off. lol...the homeless aren't there for pizza.

Posted on: 2013/10/9 6:08
I'm not perfect.....but I'm not all bad either.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Is the Speakeasy Lounge the same as The Bistro or are they separate parts of the building with different menus?

The Speakeasy is not the same as The Bistro. It's going to be in a seperate part of the building, I believe it's going to be in the basement. No idea about the menu.

Posted on: 2013/10/9 2:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned

It's my impression that there are more homeless hanging out in Grove Plaza since the Bistro opened. I attribute that, without any supporting data, to the sale of decent pizza at $1.25. Now that's ironic!

Posted on: 2013/10/9 1:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Unfortunately, aside from Barcade most other places in JC charge about $8 for a craft beer.

Posted on: 2013/10/8 21:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/28 15:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
Quote:

richieveal wrote:
So I stopped in the other night for drinks and dinner. The menu looked good, not overly priced and the happy hour specials looked good. I sat at the bar while I waited for my wife to show up. The place looked really nice and I though how nice it was to have a place right outside the Path Station.
I ordered a beer, the sign outside saying happy hour ?$3?s all craft beers?, my wife shows up I asked to close my tab and I get a $16 tab for 2 beers. I asked what the deal was and the barman said the happy hour special was for a smaller glass?!? I did end up having diner there which was very nice but I was fuming the entire dinner thinking how they tricked me. I don?t think I will ever go back.

That's a pretty good bait and switch. Sucks.
Stories like this is why I'll never try the place.

Yeah, that's pretty lame for a few reasons. First, that they put up a misleading sign and didn't bother telling you when you ordered that your beers weren't part of the happy hour deal. Secondly, that their happy hour deals are for small sized drinks-- presumably less than a full pint. Dunno what's up with that. Also, 8 bucks is kind of a ripoff for JC, even for a craft beer. Overpriced by a buck or two.

Hopefully, they're still just working out the kinks.

Posted on: 2013/10/8 21:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I ordered a beer, the sign outside saying happy hour ?$3?s all craft beers?, my wife shows up I asked to close my tab and I get a $16 tab for 2 beers. I asked what the deal was and the barman said the happy hour special was for a smaller glass?!?

Wow...that's terrible on 2 levels. 1 is the bait and switch. 2 is serving the happy hour drinks in a smaller glass without making that clear up front. I've seen specials, like at LITM where they have "$4 mini martinis" and that's fine (they are still about 3 oz which is proper martini size anyhow).

I went to this place once for a meeting and our group of 12 or so was taking up a large table, with a few empty seats because of no-shows. The manager (?) kept talking to staff and gesturing at our empty seats like he was upset. The place was maybe 1/3 full at the time. It was rude and convinced me to not go back.

Posted on: 2013/10/8 21:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
Quote:

richieveal wrote:
So I stopped in the other night for drinks and dinner. The menu looked good, not overly priced and the happy hour specials looked good. I sat at the bar while I waited for my wife to show up. The place looked really nice and I though how nice it was to have a place right outside the Path Station.
I ordered a beer, the sign outside saying happy hour ?$3?s all craft beers?, my wife shows up I asked to close my tab and I get a $16 tab for 2 beers. I asked what the deal was and the barman said the happy hour special was for a smaller glass?!? I did end up having diner there which was very nice but I was fuming the entire dinner thinking how they tricked me. I don?t think I will ever go back.

Don't think it was done on purpose, they have service issues that come from poor training... bartenders should know and ask when they take the order during that Happy Hour time period.

Posted on: 2013/10/8 20:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

richieveal wrote:

Posted on: 2013/10/8 14:55

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/1/14 12:53
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Unfortunately I did not talk to the manager but I should have. As for the cocktails, not my thing so I have no idea.

Posted on: 2013/10/8 14:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Seagull wrote:
What's up with the speakeasy anyway? Any word on their cocktails?

Speakeasy isn't open yet. Last I heard it, it wouldn't be open until early next year.

Posted on: 2013/10/8 14:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
That just sounds like bad business to me. I always go to Barcade for happy hour. No BS, just $1 off your pint. I've been to the restaurant, and I wasn't compelled to go back. What's up with the speakeasy anyway? Any word on their cocktails?

Posted on: 2013/10/8 13:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

richieveal wrote:

You are right about that beer pricing sign... did you say anything to manager? Seems like the bartender should have asked when you ordered during the happy hour time period.

Posted on: 2013/10/8 13:49

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/1/14 12:53
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/10/8 13:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/4 14:31
Group:
Registered Users
good happy hour spot

Posted on: 2013/8/12 15:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PathH8Tr wrote:
Quote:

SteveWilson29 wrote:
Quote:

PathH8Tr wrote:
Wow. Trial by JCLIST. Remind me never to start a business here. The negativity is embarrassing, not for him, for you all.

I'm happy there's another new place in town. They'll get my business until I make my own decision as to whether the food is good, the service is good and that is all.

Well jeepers, I'm sorry we don't douchebags running businesses around here (or using the local forums for that matter). I'd rather give my money to someone who isn't an a-hole.

You're assuming a lot and that is a dangerous thing. By reading what people say on JC LIST? Or absolutely first hand information? If it's first hand information there is always a bias. I'm just saying, JCLIST isn't the first place I'd go for unbiased undouchy uncomplaining information. Where you don't patronize, dozens will but exerting the energy to complain isn't helping you or the business you want to patronize, go there and start spending your money instead of just putting down a new business with posts upon posts. Best of luck giving your money elsewhere. It's all good if it's going in to JC businesses.

Went there. Bummed. Truly bummed. Ordered items on menu and new chef so items on menu not available but think you need to explain this to staff better. It needs to buck up. Please get it together - we want to support you but you have to get the basic restaurant rules down. Trained staff. Good food. Food on menu available. You're new - make a good first impression and ppl will return.

Posted on: 2013/8/10 16:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Maise wrote:
-I also noticed a door labeled Whiskey Bar and the server indicated that this leads to a smaller whiskey bar. This actually sounds awesome to me as a fan of Whisky / Bourbon, but in order to access the door you need to walk through a server station and I am not sure how this will work out logistically.

If I recall correctly the old Dunkin Donuts space will be the Whiskey/Esspresso bar. So there should be an outdoor entrance as well.

Posted on: 2013/7/23 2:58

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/20 18:54
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
I had dinner there on Sat night - was a very enjoyable meal. Food was not exceptional, but everything was very good and the menu has something for everyone. Drinks were also well made and seemed priced right. They also give a nice Bruschetta that seemed to come out of the Pizza area hot complimentary with the meal.

I spoke a bit with the server about the different offerings. She seemed a little uncertain about things so this might not end up being 100% accurate:

-The wine bar looks like it is almost done ? it has almost entirely glass walls that look into the main restaurant. The main entrance for the wine bar will be off morgan street.
-There cocktail bar (speakeasy) will be accessible via a large staircase in the middle of the main restaurant. It was not open yet and I am not sure if there will also be an entrance off of the street.
-I also noticed a door labeled Whiskey Bar and the server indicated that this leads to a smaller whiskey bar. This actually sounds awesome to me as a fan of Whisky / Bourbon, but in order to access the door you need to walk through a server station and I am not sure how this will work out logistically.

Posted on: 2013/7/22 22:00

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/17 18:13
Group:
Registered Users
So what's the deal with the 'Speakeasy' there? Is it like PDT in the city, or just some basement bar in the restaurant?

I've grabbed pizza from their little stand a few times. Pretty good slice for a dollar and a quarter.

Posted on: 2013/7/22 16:33

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/21 13:30
From jsq
Group:
Registered Users
Went there last Thursday with my wife. Sat at the bar and had some drinks and appetizers.The food was pretty good as were the drinks.My wife had the Sangria and I had a Kolsch beer.Most of the main dishes that we saw come out of the kitchen looked pretty good to.Will definitely try it again have have a regular sit down dinner.We had a really good bartender who you could tell was professional but some of the others may not be,Still all in all I think it was a good experience and will be back.

Posted on: 2013/7/22 1:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/5 16:38
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Jcplanet wrote:
I wonder if they know what the word speakeasy means lol. Either way better than nothing and hopefully it cleans up the area a bit.

Is there another definition besides the one that everyone in the world knows?

Posted on: 2013/7/20 3:23

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/3 14:02
Group:
Registered Users
I wonder if they know what the word speakeasy means lol. Either way better than nothing and hopefully it cleans up the area a bit.

Posted on: 2013/7/20 3:16

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/7 12:58
Group:
Registered Users
Decided to try it out for a drink the other night. Pretty nice watermelon martinis. Fun and friendly bartender. That is all.

Posted on: 2013/7/18 12:57

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/20 15:29
Group:
Registered Users
I have my fingers crossed for this place, because it's a classic concept in such a great location.
I am worried that I won't be going often though, because the restaurant itself is a giant echo chamber. My husband and I went for their soft opening for a beer and a burger. Even with the place not even 1/2 full it was nearly impossible to hear each other.

I was kind of worried about this when I saw the construction in progress - subway tile + tin ceilings + mirrors and glass = SO MUCH NOISE. I hope they can hang some big velvet curtains or something to dampen the sound and make the place more intimate.

Posted on: 2013/7/17 20:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/16 12:23
Group:
Registered Users
Just had a meal at this place. Sampled the rack of lamb, burger, salmon tartare and bistro salad. All dishes were excellent. I can honestly say this is one of the better meals I've had in Downtown JC in a while. Prices arr very reasonable and the portions were generous. Great addition.

Posted on: 2013/7/6 19:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
I think this place needs a bouncer to keep the riffraff away from guest... there was a homeless guy being annoying to all the guest who sat outside for a good 15 min.

maybe the owner should tear out a few more benches. I hear riffraff sits on those.

Posted on: 2013/7/5 15:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bill wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
I finally ate there and to my surprise the food was fantastic, the staff was great.

I agree, I've been there several times now and the staff is very friendly and attentive. Still wish the drinks would arrive a little quicker after ordering but I'm sure they'll iron the kinks out. However, the drinks are pretty stiff and a complimentary bruschetta from the chef is always nice.

Agreed, the one thing I can see being a problem besides the noise, I think this place needs a bouncer to keep the riffraff away from guest... there was a homeless guy being annoying to all the guest who sat outside for a good 15 min.

I guess being so close to Grove station it has its negatives with its positives.

As dtjc become the hot spot for the well to do, the homeless folks are flocking there as well for more spare coins.

So it makes a little sense why the owner is panicking and freaking out.

Posted on: 2013/7/5 15:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
I finally ate there and to my surprise the food was fantastic, the staff was great.

I agree, I've been there several times now and the staff is very friendly and attentive. Still wish the drinks would arrive a little quicker after ordering but I'm sure they'll iron the kinks out. However, the drinks are pretty stiff and a complimentary bruschetta from the chef is always nice.

Posted on: 2013/7/5 14:20

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017