Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
99 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 99

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Re: Speakeasy Lounge at Grove plaza
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
I finally ate there and to my surprise the food was fantastic, the staff was great. However the acoustics are awful, the music is too loud and the way it was designed its a noise box with voices bouncing off all the tile work.

I think the first time I went I did not like it due to the noise level which gave it a Hoboken/Union Square vibe (my two least favorite places). The 2nd time around it was still loud but it was not a full house so it was bearable.

Dinner for two with drinks was about 70 bucks including tip so it was very reasonable for all we had. Hopefully they can fix the acoustics in the place and it would be a go to spot in the future.
Good Luck!

Posted on: 2013/7/5 13:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
I'd reconsider as the food was actually quite good after revisiting it.

Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
I went to the pizza place today and thought it was excellent. Two slices for $2.50, and the quality exceeded most of what you can find in JC or NYC, especially for that price range. (not talking about a place like Razza). Maybe I caught it on a good day.

Either way, I'll definitely be back.

I dont think most on here are talking about the pizza window. I'll grab a slice from them once in a while but I really don't see stepping foot inside the larger establishement based on what has already taken place. It's unfortunate that they're connected.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 23:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
I went to the pizza place today and thought it was excellent. Two slices for $2.50, and the quality exceeded most of what you can find in JC or NYC, especially for that price range. (not talking about a place like Razza). Maybe I caught it on a good day.

I dont think most on here are talking about the pizza window. I'll grab a slice from them once in a while but I really don't see stepping foot inside the larger establishement based on what has already taken place. It's unfortunate that they're connected.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 20:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/7/3 19:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
After all, the law is the law!

tell that to the folks on the dog thread.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 18:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
I agree that restauranst are over-reacting. I think food trucks compete with Subway and other such establishments, not sit down restaurants. There's no way in hell that I'm gonna go to a food truck if I want a filet mignon; I might go to a food truck if I want a Big Mac.

Also, no biggie if the food truck is on the other side of the Street. After all, the law is the law!

Posted on: 2013/7/3 14:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Lima17 wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

skipperdoodle wrote:
The JC food truck permits state that you have to be 200(?) feet from a restaurant, so with the opening of the Speakeasy no more food trucks in the Plaza?

if that's true, i'll never go there.

Why blame the restaurant, if it's a city ordinance? The truck is now on the other side of the plaza, big deal.

Well, enforcement is often contingent on a restaurant complaining. But this is indeed a larger issue that has come up for vote in the city 2-3 times only to get tabled. The restaurants have a stronger and more permanent presence than the food trucks and support very restrictive ordinances. Whereas the people of the city for the most part seem to like the variety of having both food trucks and restaurants.

Cinnamon Snail, for example, is one of the most popular food trucks in NYC but isn't allowed to serve in their home base of Red Bank AT ALL unless there's a farmer's market. Their ordinances do not permit food trucks to be on the streets whatsoever. This isn't just a Jersey City issue.

Personally, if I want to eat at a sit down restaurant, I'm not going to pass by a food truck and decide to eat there instead. Similarly if I want something quick to go and a food truck is right there, I'm going to eat there, not walk several blocks to the nearest decent takeout place instead. They have different customers and I think the argument that they compete with each other is pretty bunk.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 14:22

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/16 18:58
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

skipperdoodle wrote:
The JC food truck permits state that you have to be 200(?) feet from a restaurant, so with the opening of the Speakeasy no more food trucks in the Plaza?

We were talking to the owner of this new truck IncrediBalls and asked if they would be in the Plaza. He told us that due to the opening of Speakeasy they couldn't because of the permit rules. He said only food carts, not food trucks could be there.

Farmer's Market, Groove on Grove, etc must be exceptions? I'm pretty sure I've seen trucks at those events since Speakeasy opened.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 13:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/28 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

skipperdoodle wrote:

Why blame the restaurant, if it's a city ordinance? The truck is now on the other side of the plaza, big deal.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 13:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

skipperdoodle wrote:

Posted on: 2013/7/3 13:43

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/16 18:58
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/7/3 13:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
I've noticed the plaza is empty of all late night food trucks lately. Is this a new development? Or have I just been walking through at the wrong time?

Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
The other evening, I noticed that the little taco truck that's usually in the plaza late at night had relocated to the less-traveled NW corner of Grove and Newark.

I wonder if this move was voluntary?

Posted on: 2013/7/3 7:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/5 16:38
Group:
Banned
There was a cop outside the restaurant just now talking to the owner and what seemed like a hostess or waitress. Didn't look like just chit chat... anyone know what happened?

Posted on: 2013/7/2 21:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Ate there recently. Moderately expanded menu from the soft launch. Surprised that i actually enjoyed the meal and portions this time. Service was considerate and prompt. Will return when the full menu comes in a few weeks. Looks promising. Hope it does well because we need a good bistro spot like this.

Posted on: 2013/7/2 18:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/6 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
As soon as I bit into the pizza at this bistro I *knew* it tasted of Favia Lite. This is not a compliment. I actually think Powerhouse has decent food for the $ - gigantic portions. Decent sauvignon blanc @ Bistro.

Posted on: 2013/7/2 3:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
The other evening, I noticed that the little taco truck that's usually in the plaza late at night had relocated to the less-traveled NW corner of Grove and Newark.

I wonder if this move was voluntary?

Posted on: 2013/7/2 1:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Seagull wrote:
Quote:

stephen wrote:
(Pro tip: If you advertise a speakeasy, it isn't a speakeasy. It's simply a club in a basement.)

I agree 100% with this. I would actually like this place a lot more if there was some creativity involved in the "speakeasy" part of the restaurant. A speakeasy is supposed to be a hidden secret....a gem of stiff drinks and a low-lit, relaxed atmosphere. The sign directly above the entrance on Morgan St. makes it feel like a speakeasy for either corporate America or the incredibly thick patron. I knew something like Death and Co. was out of Jersey City's grasp.

As a side note, Death and Co. does have a sign in front of their building with the name on it. It's not on the door, but the sign is there. Additionally, the website offers the menu, address and a host of information. Only PDT seems to avoid such things, which is certainly a bold move.

I will need to check this place out at some point.

Posted on: 2013/7/1 17:17
Dos A Cero

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/16 20:48
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I would love to try this place, but I can't eat there because the vegetarian selection was severely lacking. My option was a single personal pizza, even in the expanded menu, when we tried to go eat for dinner. I mentioned this to the hostess, who assured me she would "Be sure to mention it," but in a manner that suggested I was wasting my breath.

Just a warning for any other veg heads out there.

Posted on: 2013/6/26 15:16

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/5 22:41
Group:
Registered Users
So I walked in last night just after midnight with a slice from the next door pie-slinger. I made sure it was ok to walk into the bar with the pizza. It wasn't ok with the manager, though. He wasn't even happy to discuss the downstairs Speakeasy. I finished the slice anyway and ordered some pricey drinks. Then a pie was delivered for the two chicks at the end of the bar. Whatever. No towels or hand dryers in the unmarked restrooms. I'll give it another try someday.

Posted on: 2013/6/26 0:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/24 5:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
[quote]
And now he has a liqueur license. quote]

I hate to be quetsche, but this is carrying gentrification too far.

Took me a moment, but hilarious.

Posted on: 2013/6/25 20:28

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/2/7 13:33
From Monmouth St.
Group:
Registered Users
After reading all the observations and quetsches on this thread, I have a couple of observations of my own:

1. No matter what started the Speakeasy owner's public tirade, it was inexcusable. Period. A business owner trying to serve a community should not shout at and intimidate the locals. Even if a plaza vendor did something to set him off, there was no good reason for this guy to rant. Especially in front of his own customers. It's never a good look to be a ranting bully, even if one feels this behavior is somehow justified. To onlookers, he's at best a bad sport and at worst a d-bag -- either way it generates bad feeling about the business. I've been wanting to try this new place, but after reading this thread, I think I'll skip the drama and go to one of the other half-dozen bars within spitting distance of Grove Plaza.

2. Clearly Groove on Grove and other events are a huge traffic-driver for this restaurant, but apparently the owner is antsy because he perceives that the events physically impede foot traffic to his business. The simple answer to this conundrum is to a) hire a kid to hand out Happy Hour flyers in the plaza, and b) become one of the several local businesses that support G on G so that his business name will become associated with the event. Cultivate a relationship with G on G so people can enjoy the show from the outside tables with a $7 beer in their hands, as one poster suggested. It's a great business opportunity. It might make me want to patronize this establishment.

Posted on: 2013/6/25 20:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I think a lot of people opening businesses in JC really don't get it; that is, they really don't understand the demographic. Complaining about the Grove Plaza festivities negatively affecting your business is really biting the hand that feeds you. I mean really, how do you complain that an event that brings a ton of foot traffic past your business is NEGATIVELY affecting your business? On top if that, he is the newcomer and the Grove Plaza events have been going on for about a decade.

I'm still planning on checking it out at some point, but it is starting to seem like it could be filed in the "not my cup of tea" category.

Do they have good beers, ie American craft beers?

Posted on: 2013/6/25 17:26

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/18 3:12
Group:
Registered Users
as a regular grove PATH commuter, I was really looking forward to this place opening. the open layout seemed like the perfect answer to grove plaza and all of the outdoor events that make it a special JC locale. as a somewhat older supporter of the arts and a fan of outdoor cafes, I was prepared to drop some serious change to be able to saddle up to a table and enjoy the shows in a civilized way - with a cold beer in hand, good food on the table. I hope the reports I am reading here are off the mark. if they aren't I will avoid the place. period.

unlike the sidewalks of hoboken, the crowds that pass through grove are mostly local. and what makes the arts scene in JC work is local folk giving support for local artists who in turn are giving performances back to the community. if the guys behind the speakeasy are scanning this thread, please understand that there are a lot of locals who really want you to succeed. and we are really looking forward to supporting you. please know that we also REALLY support the arts community. its not hard to see how this can be a win-win for all of us. thanks!

Posted on: 2013/6/25 16:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hopefully, he will see this and improve his attitude as word of mouth travels fast. I don't wish him misfortune but he won't get my business if this continues to be a recurring theme. There are plenty of other businesses to patronize.

Posted on: 2013/6/25 15:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/5 16:38
Group:
Banned
Quote:

radryan03 wrote:
If you dont have anything nice to say... maybe say nothing at all? There is plenty of unknown in the story - like what lead up to the tantrum... maybe he isnt the bad guy in the full story.

We need to be able to vote that threads get shut down - trolling ruins almost every topic on this board.

Quote:

CatDog wrote:
I saw with my own very eyes this guy stomping around acting like a child, arguing with people, yelling at them, and bullying them into leaving the plaza. Am I supposed to say something nice about him after that?

I'm glad there's a business there and I hope it does well, but not if the guy is going to act like a total jerkoff and try to ruin our community events.

Jeez, get your head out of the sand. There is no end to witness statements saying the guy is a douche. I can't find anything positive about him except a statement by an admitted family friend, hardly an unbiased source of opinion. Nothing nice to say, don't say anything? This is a community situation, not grammar school.

Posted on: 2013/6/25 15:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I wish the guy all the best...but if he is a bad apple, I don't see why people should stay silent.

Yes, there is a lot that is not known...but if people don't discuss their observations, then how will we know whether this a recurring pattern.

Posted on: 2013/6/25 15:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/5 2:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
If you dont have anything nice to say... maybe say nothing at all? There is plenty of unknown in the story - like what led up to the tantrum... maybe he isnt the bad guy in the full story.

We need to be able to vote that threads get shut down - trolling ruins almost every topic on this board.

Quote:

CatDog wrote:
I saw with my own very eyes this guy stomping around acting like a child, arguing with people, yelling at them, and bullying them into leaving the plaza. Am I supposed to say something nice about him after that?

I'm glad there's a business there and I hope it does well, but not if the guy is going to act like a total jerkoff and try to ruin our community events.

Posted on: 2013/6/25 15:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
I think the best course of action for this guy now would be to stop being confrontational and embrace Groove on Grove ASAP. Instead of acting like they are detracting from his business he should see it as a business opportunity to attract new customers. Make a good happy hour price for drinks, make great food, and be a part of the community FFS.

Posted on: 2013/6/25 15:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The owner of Grove Bistro is not doing himself any favors be creating bad publicity for his place. He sounds like a greedy ____ who is trying to push out people and organizations that helped make that little plaza "happening" in the first place.

Family guy or no family guy he soulds like a real ___wipe imo

Posted on: 2013/6/25 15:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/28 15:39
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JustJames wrote:
This place is great, you should really make the effort to go there and see for yourselves. Jeff is a great guy and a close family friend.
I hope the Groove on Grove Plaza events does not drive his business away,, we need him here.

I hope that last line is sarcasm. "We" certainly do not need some pushy bar owner moving into a space who threatens an amazing cultural community event. Events like Groove on Grove are what make Jersey City great, NOT a bar.

I'd like to see this guy try to minimize the amazing events we have for the sake of bar patrons.

Posted on: 2013/6/25 14:42

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017