Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
112 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 112

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Re: Speakeasy Lounge at Grove plaza
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/5 17:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yes, I too hope that the lively events which draw masses of people to a previously desolate plaza don't interfere with the business that opened to take advantage of the area's new popularity. That would be tragic.

Well I mean they ARE blocking the view from the foot traffic from the people coming up the PATH station.

I mean seriously what makes more sense?

Better signage or complain about the live events which have been there for years to draw people to an empty plaza and downtown area no one gave a shit about.

Posted on: 2013/6/25 14:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VA2015 wrote:
Quote:

stephen wrote:
If you own a business and are a jerk to the very people that have made the location you're opening a business in a thriving social center, then you deserve be called out. It sounds like those chalking this up to JCList negativity didn't read the back story.

(Blaming JCList negativity is easy to do-- I hardly ever come here due to the trolls. But this topic was too important to ignore.)

Yeah, there is negativity that originates on and is contained to the internet - like the dopeness speculation - and then there is shit that is going down in real life that happens to make it online. It's all about the ratio of People Who Care In Real Life/People Who Only Care on the Internet. If those numbers are equal or variable A outweighs B then you can't just write it off as "trolls on JClist".
That's exactly right, a lot of people seem to brush off criticism just because it's on JCList and therefore it has to be trolls. I saw with my own very eyes this guy stomping around acting like a child, arguing with people, yelling at them, and bullying them into leaving the plaza. Am I supposed to say something nice about him after that?

I'm glad there's a business there and I hope it does well, but not if the guy is going to act like a total jerkoff and try to ruin our community events.

Posted on: 2013/6/25 14:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Yes, I too hope that the lively events which draw masses of people to a previously desolate plaza don't interfere with the business that opened to take advantage of the area's new popularity. That would be tragic.

Posted on: 2013/6/25 12:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/15 11:50
From Village/HP
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Binky wrote:

Oh?
Is that an explanation for the preemptive strike against G on G last month?

OH yeah, JustJames, you were the one who was picking on the artists and sellers at Groove on Grove, complaining about almost missing appointments because of the traffic? And the owner of the Doucheeasy Lounge is your close family friend? Makes complete sense.

As others have said, unless it's similar to a Death & Company or real cocktail bar, I have minimal interest in trying. And now to hear of the things this owner is doing to people on the Plaza, I won't step foot inside. I'd rather spend my money at the many other new additions to the City who have actually brought something of value to the community.

Posted on: 2013/6/25 11:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JustJames wrote:
This place is great, you should really make the effort to go there and see for yourselves. Jeff is a great guy and a close family friend.
I hope the Groove on Grove Plaza events does not drive his business away,, we need him here.

Posted on: 2013/6/25 6:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
RIP little park bench, you were unbolted from the ground well before your time. You will be missed. Hopefully to be survived by the other benches for weeks, maybe months to come.

Posted on: 2013/6/25 3:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
There is no way that Groove on Grove is anything but a positivefor tthis space. I really hope he doesn't make life difficult for the organizers. If he does he'll get none of my money.

Posted on: 2013/6/25 1:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users

Oh?
Is that an explanation for the preemptive strike against G on G last month?

Posted on: 2013/6/25 1:14

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/28 10:17
Group:
Registered Users
This place is great, you should really make the effort to go there and see for yourselves. Jeff is a great guy and a close family friend.
I hope the Groove on Grove Plaza events does not drive his business away,, we need him here.

Posted on: 2013/6/25 0:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
This space is HUGE. I would imagine that he will have to get a good crowd in there on a consistent basis to cover costs and be successful.

Posted on: 2013/6/24 22:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

radryan03 wrote:
creativity of a place is meaningless if the drinks are no good. My judgment will come off what I find in the glass

I agree with you, but I was basing my comment on creativity alone. If their drinks are also mediocre, then they're really screwed! I still look forward to giving them a try. I just feel like they tried to create a nice interior, and neglected their exterior. Their signage looks cheap, and by the price of their beers and the clientele they're trying to attract, it should be anything but that.

Posted on: 2013/6/24 22:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/5 2:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
It's not open yet... I stopped in on Friday in hopes of trying the 'prohibition bar' - no dice. I am going to give it an opportunity to impress me... and let's be honest - the creativity of a place is meaningless if the drinks are no good. My judgment will come off what I find in the glass

As a quick aside - we tried out the cocktail menu at Orale and found some great tequila takes on traditional cocktails....

Quote:

Seagull wrote:
Quote:

stephen wrote:
(Pro tip: If you advertise a speakeasy, it isn't a speakeasy. It's simply a club in a basement.)

I agree 100% with this. I would actually like this place a lot more if there was some creativity involved in the "speakeasy" part of the restaurant. A speakeasy is supposed to be a hidden secret....a gem of stiff drinks and a low-lit, relaxed atmosphere. The sign directly above the entrance on Morgan St. makes it feel like a speakeasy for either corporate America or the incredibly thick patron. I knew something like Death and Co. was out of Jersey City's grasp.

Posted on: 2013/6/24 21:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stephen wrote:
If you own a business and are a jerk to the very people that have made the location you're opening a business in a thriving social center, then you deserve be called out. It sounds like those chalking this up to JCList negativity didn't read the back story.

(Blaming JCList negativity is easy to do-- I hardly ever come here due to the trolls. But this topic was too important to ignore.)

Yeah, there is negativity that originates on and is contained to the internet - like the dopeness speculation - and then there is shit that is going down in real life that happens to make it online. It's all about the ratio of People Who Care In Real Life/People Who Only Care on the Internet. If those numbers are equal or variable A outweighs B then you can't just write it off as "trolls on JClist".

Posted on: 2013/6/23 13:40

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/5 15:04
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/6/23 0:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

immigrationlawyer wrote:
Quote:

Poncho11 wrote:
Quote:

PathH8Tr wrote:
Wow. Trial by JCLIST. Remind me never to start a business here. The negativity is embarrassing, not for him, for you all.

I'm happy there's another new place in town. They'll get my business until I make my own decision as to whether the food is good, the service is good and that is all.

You hit the nail right on the head. If it ain't Free, Cheap, over the top c/s they don't want to pay for. I would love to see how good these people are at their jobs. You have one poster who if he can't make it, grow it, avoid doing business with a store, he isn't happy. Then you have the people who criticize how stores are run, yet they are incapable of doing it them selves.

+1 the idiotic drivel spouted on this board is becoming less and less entertaining. These are the same a-holes who have awarded themselves expert authority status on any variety of topics and therefore feel obligated and entitled to damage businesses by leaving 1 star reviews on Yelp b/c their service was slightly slow, or the drink was $1 more than they expected, or the crowd wasn't as cool as they think they are, or the coffee wasn't strong enough, or their delivery took 45 minutes instead of 20 minutes... Hooray - let's bash small businesses!

coming to a message board to complain about the people who come to message boards to complain is quite meta. thank you for sharing your art.

Posted on: 2013/6/21 21:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

SteveWilson29 wrote:
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
[quote]
And now he has a liqueur license. quote]

I hate to be quetsche, but this is carrying gentrification too far.

Yes, down with gentrification. barren lots and 99 cent stores rule. How about more book stores, record stores, and video stores...you know, all the things people go to and buy stuff from...

Add in some more post offices too.

Quetsche which is a liqueur (eau-de-vie) sounds very much like kvetch (to complain). The notion of getting a liqueur license (as opposed to a liquor license) struck me as amusing. Sorry for the jeu-de-mots.

What did you just say about Jews?

Ooops, yes, Jeu-de-Mots is the French name for one of the Three Stooges (jeu-de-laurent and jeu-de-frise are the others)

Posted on: 2013/6/21 20:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/6/30 13:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SteveWilson29 wrote:
Quote:

PathH8Tr wrote:
Wow. Trial by JCLIST. Remind me never to start a business here. The negativity is embarrassing, not for him, for you all.

I'm happy there's another new place in town. They'll get my business until I make my own decision as to whether the food is good, the service is good and that is all.

Well jeepers, I'm sorry we don't douchebags running businesses around here (or using the local forums for that matter). I'd rather give my money to someone who isn't an a-hole.

How about the D' bag and A- hole customers, malcontents who are just jealous. These owners spend great amount's of money to succeed , and you can't afford to by a drink.

Posted on: 2013/6/21 20:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/5 16:38
Group:
Banned
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
[quote]

Yes, down with gentrification. barren lots and 99 cent stores rule. How about more book stores, record stores, and video stores...you know, all the things people go to and buy stuff from...

Quetsche which is a liqueur (eau-de-vie) sounds very much like kvetch (to complain). The notion of getting a liqueur license (as opposed to a liquor license) struck me as amusing. Sorry for the jeu-de-mots.

What did you just say about Jews?

Posted on: 2013/6/21 20:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
[quote]

Posted on: 2013/6/21 20:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned
This is the second place after Dopeness, that has been on the receiving end of JCListers negativity. I am extremely happy that two new businesses opened up in downtown. Then there is another thread criticizing the Newport mall, which is also becoming better. I would like to see more such businesses open up here and replace the discount stores, hair braiding salons, etc.

Posted on: 2013/6/21 20:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/16 12:23
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Poncho11 wrote:
Quote:

PathH8Tr wrote:

You hit the nail right on the head. If it ain't Free, Cheap, over the top c/s they don't want to pay for. I would love to see how good these people are at their jobs. You have one poster who if he can't make it, grow it, avoid doing business with a store, he isn't happy. Then you have the people who criticize how stores are run, yet they are incapable of doing it them selves.

+1 the idiotic drivel spouted on this board is becoming less and less entertaining. These are the same a-holes who have awarded themselves expert authority status on any variety of topics and therefore feel obligated and entitled to damage businesses by leaving 1 star reviews on Yelp b/c their service was slightly slow, or the drink was $1 more than they expected, or the crowd wasn't as cool as they think they are, or the coffee wasn't strong enough, or their delivery took 45 minutes instead of 20 minutes... Hooray - let's bash small businesses!

Posted on: 2013/6/21 19:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SteveWilson29 wrote:
Quote:

PathH8Tr wrote:

Well jeepers, I'm sorry we don't douchebags running businesses around here (or using the local forums for that matter). I'd rather give my money to someone who isn't an a-hole.

You're assuming a lot and that is a dangerous thing. By reading what people say on JC LIST? Or absolutely first hand information? If it's first hand information there is always a bias. I'm just saying, JCLIST isn't the first place I'd go for unbiased undouchy uncomplaining information. Where you don't patronize, dozens will but exerting the energy to complain isn't helping you or the business you want to patronize, go there and start spending your money instead of just putting down a new business with posts upon posts. Best of luck giving your money elsewhere. It's all good if it's going in to JC businesses.

Posted on: 2013/6/21 19:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PathH8Tr wrote:

Posted on: 2013/6/21 19:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/5 16:38
Group:
Banned
Quote:

PathH8Tr wrote:

Posted on: 2013/6/21 19:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/6/21 19:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Looks like the Frozen Yogurt store on the other corner may have backed out. The 7500.00 Rent, and to completely restore the basement, and store front might have been a bit much.

Posted on: 2013/6/21 19:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Did the owner have the right to remove the bench? If not, he can be taken to court for destroying public property.

I was looking forward to going to this place but now I wondering why should I use my hard-earned money to patronize a jerk!

Posted on: 2013/6/21 18:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
It's nice to see some nightlife in Grove Plaza, but removing that bench was a douchey move.

Posted on: 2013/6/21 18:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
yay! I have yet to go..do they have steaks, burgers.

Posted on: 2013/6/21 18:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CdeCoincy wrote:
[quote]

Posted on: 2013/6/21 17:29

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017