Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
119 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 119

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Re: Area between Tunnel and Hoboken
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
The city has stated it's in their upcoming plan (if that isn't released yet).

Posted on: 2016/3/15 20:49

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/14 19:09
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
NJT has approved a new light rail station on 18th Street between Jersey and Grove. They are trying to get a developer to pay for it in exchange for building some towers.

The city has lots of plans for that area.

I agree there should be a pedestrian overpass on Marin and Jersey if not Manila as well.

Hoboken is also building a new walking path along Observer, and they have plans for towers on that stretch.

I love living in the area- best of JC and Hoboken, easy walk to PATH and bus.
no surprise that njt approved a tower there...i doubt developers would have built so many towers if there wasn't sometype of understanding that a station would get built there

Is there any "official" info in cyberworld? As in, any plans, renderings etc? Would love to see what they have planned and approved.

Posted on: 2016/2/24 21:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
NJT has approved a new light rail station on 18th Street between Jersey and Grove. They are trying to get a developer to pay for it in exchange for building some towers.

I agree there should be a pedestrian overpass on Marin and Jersey if not Manila as well.

Hoboken is also building a new walking path along Observer, and they have plans for towers on that stretch.

no surprise that njt approved a tower there...i doubt developers would have built so many towers if there wasn't sometype of understanding that a station would get built there

Posted on: 2016/2/24 17:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/2/24 17:44

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/6 19:06
From DTJC
Group:
Registered Users
Wow, this really looks like the middle of nowhere, I just checked it out on the map. Probably fine for people who drive everywhere, but no neighborhood to speak of. Once again, it's all about the 3L's.

Posted on: 2016/2/11 18:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Voyeur wrote:
Exposed ducts look ugly, period. People who move into lofts in Tribeca or on the Brooklyn waterfront accept them as the price paid for living in a century-old converted warehouse. They are not an aesthetic choice, but a functional necessity in such buildings. Deliberately exposing them in new construction is just a poor design decision.

So goes architecture always. Greek stone columns were mimicking the design constraints developed for using wooden columns. And it's certainly no sillier than all the brick facades being put on wood or steel frame buildings all over town. One person's expedience is another's aesthetic.

Posted on: 2016/2/10 21:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/12 17:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
The Cast Iron Lofts crowd are at it again - today they are schilling themselves on Curbed.

Nothing particularly newsworthy other than some interesting photos of the interior of the apartments, all of which look very nice, save for hideous exposed duct work. Clearly they think this gives the units some industrial cache, but in a new build, this seems a ridiculously ugly decor choice when the ducts could easily have been hidden within the drywall.

Exposed ducts look ugly, period. People who move into lofts in Tribeca or on the Brooklyn waterfront accept them as the price paid for living in a century-old converted warehouse. They are not an aesthetic choice, but a functional necessity in such buildings. Deliberately exposing them in new construction is just a poor design decision. But then this entire Soho West enterprise is of questionable judgement.

As one commenter on Curbed wrote: This is such a sad example of a Jersey developer trying (unsuccessfully) to mimic industrial chic. The name [Soho West] says it all.

Posted on: 2016/2/10 19:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

fikonj wrote:
A pedestrian bridge would be good, but for now, I do hope developers and/or the city will extend the bike cum pedestrian lane coming from the 2nd St HBLR stop that ends abruptly by Coles and 18th Street. Coles St from 18th Street to 10th St is the best way to avoid the tunnel traffic and I take it frequently on foot and by bike but not after dark since the "underpass" is a bit sketchy, to put it mildly.

Even just some lighting in the underpasses would help.

Personally, I think that whole area is a mess. If I were king I would condemn the land north of the tracks and extend Jersey straight through to Patterson. It would get rid of that tremendous through traffic clusterfuck at Patterson, Jackson, Harrison & Observer. Those warehouses and bus depots aren't going to be there long anyway.

Posted on: 2016/2/5 21:45

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/28 22:28
From The Village, Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fikonj wrote:
A pedestrian bridge would be good, but for now, I do hope developers and/or the city will extend the bike cum pedestrian lane coming from the 2nd St HBLR stop that ends abruptly by Coles and 18th Street. Coles St from 18th Street to 10th St is the best way to avoid the tunnel traffic and I take it frequently on foot and by bike but not after dark since the "underpass" is a bit sketchy, to put it mildly.

Eh... I do that walk at night quite frequently. While it is not a very esthetically pleasing walk, the worst thing you will encounter will be a homeless person sleeping, or a parked cabdriver getting a BJ. Or I guess, you could encounter me drunkenly walking home.

Posted on: 2016/2/5 21:12

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/12 19:15
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/2/5 19:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/8/30 19:03
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I think it makes sense to develop that area, but will take a heck of a long time for it to not feel isolated. The Hoboken Path station is not far distance-wise, but it's not pedestrian friendly or pretty to walk there. It will be a minimum of several decades before that are feels like a neighborhood, I think.

I wish they would build a large pedestrian bridge/overpass over the Holland Tunnel entrance/exit. A wide pedestrian bridge (like 300 feet wide) covered in grass and landscaping would make for an awesome park, and a way to tie that area into Hamilton Park.

The pedestrian bridge is a great idea. Given all the construction I see in the area I figure the developers are going to need to think of something.

Posted on: 2016/2/5 18:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

nafco wrote:
Theres a planning dept in JC?

Shocking, aint it?

Not exactly JC, but in the 2002 County Executive race there was a "debate" in which I asked "given the historic and once in a lifetime nature of the development going on here, what do you think should be done to plan it?". Both DeGise and the other Dem basically said "planning is great, we plan to plan". The very young GOP cannon fodder candidate gave a long thoughtful answer. I voted for him.
yes, jersey city politicians and planning officials are great at planning....planning for developer contributions, imo.

Funniest thing you have ever said on this board...!

Posted on: 2016/2/3 18:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

nafco wrote:

Shocking, aint it?

Not exactly JC, but in the 2002 County Executive race there was a "debate" in which I asked "given the historic and once in a lifetime nature of the development going on here, what do you think should be done to plan it?". Both DeGise and the other Dem basically said "planning is great, we plan to plan". The very young GOP cannon fodder candidate gave a long thoughtful answer. I voted for him.
yes, jersey city politicians and planning officials are great at planning....planning for developer contributions, imo.

Posted on: 2016/2/3 18:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

nafco wrote:

Shocking, aint it?

Posted on: 2016/2/3 17:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/27 19:59
From journal square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Voyeur wrote:
Among the developers' grand plans is a scheme to "raise the streets in the area out of the flood plain [????] while installing new storm and sanity sewer lines. The neighborhood would also get new street lights, public wi-fi, sidewalks and landscaped areas."

Note, some shrubs, not a "park" for the families they presumably are trying to attract to these large units. A whole neighborhood is being built there, but no parkspace, so they will inevitably come down to the already overpressured Hamilton Park. Planning Dept?? Hello??

I'm curious as to whether the Planning Department serves any real function, or if it simply operates as a rubber stamp when faced with a proposal that will generate $$$ for those who have the power in City Hall.

Posted on: 2016/2/3 14:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Voyeur wrote:

Among the developers' grand plans is a scheme to "raise the streets in the area out of the flood plain [????] while installing new storm and sanity sewer lines. ...

The majority of the flooding in that section of downtown is due to storm runoff after heavy rains. Elevating the streets will create a bathtub to the south and west. The City needs to make sure there is sufficient pumping capacity to empty the bathtub as part of any plan.

Posted on: 2016/2/3 10:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
jcguy05 wrote: doesnt matter how much potential or how much the area improves. 99% of the people will never want to live in front of something like this.
I know I'm a weirdo but I sorta like this view.

Posted on: 2016/2/3 7:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JC_Man wrote:
Quote:

Voyeur wrote:
"Taint" update: according to this blog post/advertorial, the developers at Cast Iron Lofts are doubling down on their gamble back there. They have just topped out the 232-unit Cast Iron II and they are already six stories high on a 377-unit twin towered development. By my count they have about 750 apartments either completed or under construction in non-man's land.

Among the developers' grand plans is a scheme to "raise the streets in the area out of the flood plain [????] while installing new storm and sanity sewer lines. The neighborhood would also get new street lights, public wi-fi, sidewalks and landscaped areas."

Good luck to them. I hope that this eyesore can be converted into a real neighborhood but I suspect all of the problems blighting this area may prove an insurmountable barrier to tempting yuppie families willing and able to pay $5,450 a month for a three-bedroom apartment.

Good luck is right - $5,450/month and Holland Gardens up the block - location, location, location!!
well, people in manhattan spend millions of dollars for apt and they too live right across from the projects. three bedrooms are hot commodities i understand.

Posted on: 2016/2/3 5:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/31 3:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Voyeur wrote:
"Taint" update: according to this blog post/advertorial, the developers at Cast Iron Lofts are doubling down on their gamble back there. They have just topped out the 232-unit Cast Iron II and they are already six stories high on a 377-unit twin towered development. By my count they have about 750 apartments either completed or under construction in non-man's land.

Good luck to them. I hope that this eyesore can be converted into a real neighborhood but I suspect all of the problems blighting this area may prove an insurmountable barrier to tempting yuppie families willing and able to pay $5,450 a month for a three-bedroom apartment.

Good luck is right - $5,450/month and Holland Gardens up the block - location, location, location!!

Posted on: 2016/2/3 2:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
i can see why ogden avenue folks would be upset as those towers do, imo, diminish the views, but why were hamilton park people upset. also, that area could use a decent park

I can understand why Ogdenites(?) would oppose these structures, but why would anyone listen to them? We're talking about the views of one side of one 0.8 mi long street, comprising mostly 1 & 2 family houses. It's all in the game, as Omar would say. I've been reading & chuckling for many years about Manhattanites in hi-rises stunned to find a new building rising to mar their multi million dollar views.

Posted on: 2016/2/3 1:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

downtownempire wrote:
That area was already to go with a brand new redevelopment plan. New Light Station. Many property owners in the area were all on board with it. JC Planning was working on it for over one year. It was presented to the Mayor and surrounding community groups. Then complaints started from Hamilton Park and Ogden Avenue folks put a stop to it. No guts no glory!
i can see why ogden avenue folks would be upset as those towers do, imo, diminish the views, but why were hamilton park people upset. also, that area could use a decent park

Posted on: 2016/2/3 1:21

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/20 21:54
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
That area was already to go with a brand new redevelopment plan. New Light Station. Many property owners in the area were all on board with it. JC Planning was working on it for over one year. It was presented to the Mayor and surrounding community groups. Then complaints started from Hamilton Park and Ogden Avenue folks put a stop to it. No guts no glory!

Posted on: 2016/2/3 0:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users

It's know in real estate as a:

Taint /

The area between the nutsack and asshole that prevent a man from shitting on his nuts. See durf.
If it wasn't for the taint, my nuts would reek of poo!

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=taint

Posted on: 2016/2/3 0:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Quote:

Voyeur wrote:

Note, some shrubs, not a "park" for the families they presumably are trying to attract to these large units. A whole neighborhood is being built there, but no parkspace, so they will inevitably come down to the already overpressured Hamilton Park. Planning Dept?? Hello??

I'm curious as to whether the Planning Department serves any real function, or if it simply operates as a rubber stamp when faced with a proposal that will generate $$$ for those who have the power in City Hall.

Posted on: 2016/2/2 23:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Voyeur wrote:

Posted on: 2016/2/2 23:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I think it makes sense to develop that area, but will take a heck of a long time for it to not feel isolated. The Hoboken Path station is not far distance-wise, but it's not pedestrian friendly or pretty to walk there. It will be a minimum of several decades before that are feels like a neighborhood, I think.

I wish they would build a large pedestrian bridge/overpass over the Holland Tunnel entrance/exit. A wide pedestrian bridge (like 300 feet wide) covered in grass and landscaping would make for an awesome park, and a way to tie that area into Hamilton Park.

Posted on: 2016/2/2 22:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/12 17:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/2/2 21:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Quote:

DouglasReynholm wrote:
SoHo - South of Hoboken

Let the building of 20 story towers commence !
20 stories is nothing. why not 50 stories or even 75 stories...plus they really need to get a light rail stop near that area.. the 2nd street stop in hoboken is a hike imo

The distance) from Cast Iron Lofts to the 2nd Street Station is just under half a mile, about 9 minutes walking leisurely. That's hardly a hike.

But, it could be argued that the distance between the Newport and 2nd St stations is such that a station in the shopping area of Target/Best Buy/A&P could be justified. And, it would bring additional business to the area and could help spur additional development in the Cast Iron Lofts area. Also, if the Lackawanna Terminal/Warehouse area redevelopment ever gets off the ground, this would help bring shoppers and visitors there.

Posted on: 2014/11/18 18:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DouglasReynholm wrote:
SoHo - South of Hoboken

20 stories is nothing. why not 50 stories or even 75 stories...plus they really need to get a light rail stop near that area.. the 2nd street stop in hoboken is a hike imo

Posted on: 2014/11/18 17:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/4 19:30
Group:
Registered Users
SoHo - South of Hoboken

Posted on: 2014/11/18 16:48

(1) 2 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017