Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
101 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 101

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Embankment to become Vietnamese?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/5 2:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Nha Trang service has always kinda sucked - I thinking its part of the ambience and no surprise the new place is the same.

Based on the number of Vietnamese people that regularly dine at Nha Trang... I think your assesment of their food is off.

Quote:

feelngood wrote:
Really amazed at this allegedly Vietnamese restaurant. But not in a good way. I am at a loss to understand why one would renovate a space to go from a pleasant space to a confused vomit of green and blue, BTW it looks worse when you can't be bothered to clean. On the subject of hygiene. Why are the wait staff so scruffy and non interested looking?
The food was basic non flavored Chinese. Appetizers came after entree? Food bland, bland, bland.
This restaurant is a bland Chinese hack job. There are too many of these in JC already....

Posted on: 2013/3/7 13:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
You are either 1) Vietnamese and have very high standards for your cuisine, or 2) you don't know what Vietnamese food is, not in between.

The food at the new place tastes exactly the same as Nha Trang, albeit about $1-1.50 more. They somehow have to pay the presumably exorbitant rent. Having a liquor license probably will offset that.

I lived for 8 months in Ho Hi Minh city and in 1994 and ate all kinds of food, from the hotel restaurants and specialty places all the way down to street food, and of course nothing compares to that.

All in all the food there and Nha Trang is not bad, and very a good value.

Quote:

feelngood wrote:
Really amazed at this allegedly Vietnamese restaurant. But not in a good way. I am at a loss to understand why one would renovate a space to go from a pleasant space to a confused vomit of green and blue, BTW it looks worse when you can't be bothered to clean. On the subject of hygiene. Why are the wait staff so scruffy and non interested looking?
The food was basic non flavored Chinese. Appetizers came after entree? Food bland, bland, bland.
This restaurant is a bland Chinese hack job. There are too many of these in JC already....

Posted on: 2013/3/4 13:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

feelngood wrote:

What exactly did you order? I must admit that I haven't ventured out to the new place, and will stick with Nha Trang. The Yelp reviews at the "old" place are pretty good:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/nha-trang-place-jersey-city?start=40

Posted on: 2013/3/4 2:55

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/8/24 16:17
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/3/3 17:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Sorry my apologies. I don't know what I was thinking. Must've been that "33" Vietnamese beer.

Whew, I needed a cold shower after viewing that page. Anyway + 1 for the Google Images. It's so good I am re-posting it:

https://www.google.com/search?um=1&hl= ... h&sa=1&q=thanh+hoai&btnG=

btw - we had dinner there this evening, the usual #6 Pho, for my 12 year old, wife had the squid in ginger, I had the seafood Pho with egg noodles (take-home Bo Luc Lac for the boy) - all up to par. and... the background music is better.

Quote:

Kindelan wrote:
Quote:

AlexC wrote:
Agreed. History sometimes haunts us in different ways, but in many ways it also enlightens and gives us perspective.

Peace. And Food! it's one of many ways to foster understanding between culture and countries.

WTF??!?! You guys can't have a rational, thoughtful discussion here! GTFO!

Posted on: 2013/2/26 4:13

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/7 18:41
Group:
Registered Users
Had dinner there last night (and am eating leftovers now). Very nice addition to the neighborhood. I will be going back.

Posted on: 2013/2/25 18:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

LimpiarElSucio wrote:
that would definitely be a different thanh hoi hahaha. i looked a bit further, its another beach resort town. which is probably less creepy than an old man naming his restaurant after a young girl :)

Creepy?? I?d like to add another WTF to the discussion. Point is, if a Vietnamese fashion model can also have that name, it?s probably just as irrelevant.

Posted on: 2013/2/25 18:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/8 0:52
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
that would definitely be a different thanh hoi hahaha. i looked a bit further, its another beach resort town. which is probably less creepy than an old man naming his restaurant after a young girl :)

Posted on: 2013/2/25 17:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/11 14:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

AlexC wrote:
Agreed. History sometimes haunts us in different ways, but in many ways it also enlightens and gives us perspective.

Peace. And Food! it's one of many ways to foster understanding between culture and countries.

WTF??!?! You guys can't have a rational, thoughtful discussion here! GTFO!

Posted on: 2013/2/25 17:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
+1
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

LimpiarElSucio wrote:
Hoai thanh was a veitnameese poet. Apparently he was a member of the veit cong... Makes me not want to eat at the place. I guess its saigon cafe or a friend's mom's house it is for me... Hopefully thanh hoai is a reference to someone other than ho chi minh's friend...

Thanh Hoai?

Google Images.

End of discussion.

Posted on: 2013/2/25 16:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

LimpiarElSucio wrote:
Hoai thanh was a veitnameese poet. Apparently he was a member of the veit cong... Makes me not want to eat at the place. I guess its saigon cafe or a friend's mom's house it is for me... Hopefully thanh hoai is a reference to someone other than ho chi minh's friend...

Thanh Hoai?

Google Images.

End of discussion.

Posted on: 2013/2/25 15:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/2/25 2:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Full support is obviously wrong, no group ever has unanimous support, but thats just a technicality. More notably, the vietcong were (according to many) a guerilla branch of the nva. eitherway, i dont care about that or the politics of the war, its far too complicated and this isnt the right venue anyway. My sentiment stems from thinking of family friends who immigrated to the us from communist vietnam as well as vets from the war, many of whom are still extremely sensitive to reminders of that time in their lives...

You are "free" to name a restaurant whatever you want but im likewise "free" to think of it as insensitive and not support it.

Posted on: 2013/2/25 1:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
The Viet Cong was a patriotic army with full support of the local population, as opposed to the NVA (North Vietnamese Army).

What would you do if another country sent 500,000 troops to the USA to prop up a corrupt government that oppressed it's people? The French had their butts kicked and realized they can't hold on to their colonies, then the USA decides to draw the line against communism in Vietnam. After all is said and done, 50,000 US troops are dead, along with an estimated 2 million Vietnamese.

For what? "Freedom"? That word is so misused for hiding behind failed ideology.

Quote:

LimpiarElSucio wrote:

Posted on: 2013/2/23 21:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/2/23 21:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/25 1:59
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users
We have been regulars at Nha Trang for the past 6 years ... and we are quite happy about this new clone after trying it. A few observations:

The menu is pretty much the same as Nha Trang with prices typically $0.75 - 1.25 more than there. The order is off a bit, but almost all the dishes are common to both.

The place is fresher and nicer than Nha Trang. It is a new restaurant, thus it's expected.

Service is probably better than Nha Trang - but on the other hand, many would consider the baseline pretty low.

And, it's worth mentioning that they have a liquor license.

For us, the clone is roughly 4 blocks away, while Nha Trang is close to 8 blocks away ... So, the choice becomes a question of convenience.

The bottom line: we have now 2 Nha Trangs that serve good quality food at reasonable prices. And that's pretty awesome.

Posted on: 2013/2/23 4:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
For me it's more convenient to walk to Thanh Hoai than to drive to Nha Trang on Newark Ave.

Personally, the BYOB on Newark has more appeal, as that will save me a least $15-20 on beverage. If you don't drink, and you live DT, it should even out.

Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
wait, so i pay more for less? :(

wheeeelllllp, guess i'm sticking to their old place

Posted on: 2013/2/22 3:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
wait, so i pay more for less? :(

wheeeelllllp, guess i'm sticking to their old place

Posted on: 2013/2/22 3:23

Re: Embankment to become Vietnamese? (Thanh Hoai)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Okay, finally made it to Thanh Hoai.

I was not disappointed. Which is high praise because my family ate at Nha Trang once a week on average. Because this is co-owned by the same people, the standards should be the same, and it is.

While I was hoping we could have 5 people, only 3 of us had dinner, so the order selection was limited.

My daughter had her usual Pho #6, Rice Noodles with Brisket, and she proclaimed it acceptable. It was a bit smaller than Nha Trang, and about a dollar more, but this is to expected. The beef was good if not better than the Newark Ave. version and the stock was excellent.

My wife and I shared the "Grand Opening" special Dungeness Crabs in Ginger and Scallions and the whole Fried Flounder. Crabs seasoning was excellent, just the right balance, not too overwhelming, but it was a bit dry inside ($11.95). The flounder was excellent, crispy where it matters and moist and tender inside. It should come with a better sauce/dip as the usual nuoc cham is too ordinary.

Service is attentive and the ambiance is much better than Newark Ave., although when it became close to 65% full at around 7:45pm, the wait staff seemed a little flustered.

They kept the liquor license. I'm not sure if you can bring your own and charge corkage, but they do have authentic Vietnamese Beer "33" "for Export". Nothing like the real deal so far away from Southeast Asia.

Music is hilarious - if you can't tune it out, you better be a fan of Cha-Cha, as they seem to have found a collection of 60s hits, such as Guantanamera, Love Potion #9 and Obla-Di-Obla-Da. I felt like I was back in Phnom Penh and HoChiMinh City in the early 90s.

Anyway, it's an excellent addition to the Hamilton Park restaurant scene and now that it's a 2 block walk, will be there at least once a week. Value wise, hard to beat.

Posted on: 2013/2/22 1:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/26 15:30
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

What was in the location before Embankment?

Nothing, they were the first to occupy that space.

Posted on: 2013/2/21 20:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/12/23 21:08
Group:
Registered Users
Service and ambience is way better than Nha Trang but Nha Trang has a larger menu selection and is a little cheaper. Nha Trang is the name of a seaside resort/city in Vietnam... i suspect the other restaurant is also a place name in Vietnam.

Posted on: 2013/2/21 18:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
I wonder if it will be a similar menu to Nha Trang. I saw the signage, I forget what it's called but it seemed hard to pronounce.

What was in the location before Embankment?

Posted on: 2013/2/21 18:03

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/1 16:29
Group:
Registered Users
I hope that it's good. While I really like the food at Nha Trang, I absolutely hate having to essentially throw myself in front of a waiter in order to get service. We go to Saigon Cafe instead, because the service there is way better.

Posted on: 2013/2/21 17:43

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/7 18:41
Group:
Registered Users
This place looks like it opened over the weekend. Can anyone share their first impressions?

Posted on: 2013/2/21 16:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Was kind of hoping for something other than yet another Asian place, but oh well, Nha Trang is really tasty.

Posted on: 2013/1/5 20:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 16:46
Group:
Registered Users
True. Not sure how much more work they have to do though.

Posted on: 2013/1/4 21:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, same owner as Nha Trang. There's a note posted on the door of Nha Trang saying they will be opening a second JC location at the old Embankment site. New place will even have a liquor license. Contrary to earlier speculation, Nha Trang won't be closing.

Posted on: 2013/1/4 21:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/21 23:51
Group:
Registered Users
Not sure who the owners are but they are doing construction and there is a sign that says that it is going to be a Vietnamese restaurant.

Posted on: 2013/1/4 20:46

Thanh Hoai Vietnamese Cuisine - Hamilton Park
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Thanh Hoai Vietnamese Cuisine
234 Tenth Street
Jersey City, NJ 07302

I heard that the owners of NhaTrang on Newark is going to take over the Embankment and make it into a Vietnamese restaurant.

Anyone know if this is true?

Posted on: 2013/1/4 20:28

Edited by Webmaster on 2013/3/14 4:18:56

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact