Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
118 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 118

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 10 »

Re: Jersey City election 2013: where the race stands
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/1 17:12
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

byebyesteve wrote:
I chose the name because I know JC LIST is such a pro fulop site that people would be crazed to read it. I think its hilarious.

Of course I have an interest in the election. My family all worked for the city as I grew up. I am the first to not work JC, but of course there is a lot riding on this election

If you read my post, it is what I think will happen. I have a lot more harsh opinions on Fulop but by posting them, all that will happen is that I will get banned or get ignorant responses back.

It is merely a prediction.

I think what many of the "interlopers" don't understand about what is going on in this city is that the regular person who is from JC dislikes what you are about. Many of you don't realize that many of you come off as trying to force your ideals on everyone because you know better, you are smarter etc. JC people don't go for that

Lets see what happens Tuesday. I honestly don't think Fulop has a chance at all period. The internet war that has been waged by the Fulop people is entertaining, but it will not win elections.

A wise man told me - "Healy voters don't go to debates and they don't post on the internet, they just show up to the polls"

If you look at todays rally, there are plenty of people looking to go to the polls for Healy

So you're going to vote for a corrupt, inept mayor to show how much you don't like people who think they are smarter than you?
That's pretty sad.

Posted on: 2013/5/12 5:56

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/27 11:46
Group:
Registered Users
I chose the name because I know JC LIST is such a pro fulop site that people would be crazed to read it. I think its hilarious.

Of course I have an interest in the election. My family all worked for the city as I grew up. I am the first to not work JC, but of course there is a lot riding on this election

If you read my post, it is what I think will happen. I have a lot more harsh opinions on Fulop but by posting them, all that will happen is that I will get banned or get ignorant responses back.

It is merely a prediction.

I think what many of the "interlopers" don't understand about what is going on in this city is that the regular person who is from JC dislikes what you are about. Many of you don't realize that many of you come off as trying to force your ideals on everyone because you know better, you are smarter etc. JC people don't go for that

Lets see what happens Tuesday. I honestly don't think Fulop has a chance at all period. The internet war that has been waged by the Fulop people is entertaining, but it will not win elections.

A wise man told me - "Healy voters don't go to debates and they don't post on the internet, they just show up to the polls"

If you look at todays rally, there are plenty of people looking to go to the polls for Healy

Posted on: 2013/5/12 5:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

byebyesteve wrote:
Go Healy

I am glad that the end of this election cycle is coming. It has been a hard fought campaign on both sides. Unfortunately it got ugly at the very end, but the tension between the two candidates has been boiling for a few years now.

My prediction:

Healy wins first ballot - 53 Healy 44 Fulop 2 Walker 1 Malik

A - Epps destroys Gajewski - seems like Fulop camp gave that one up already anyway

B is a close one. Definite runoff but Meyers takes it as JJ endorsement of the independent hurts Chico and Meyers takes it.

C Rich Boggiano wins handily - Healy also wins big in C

D Connors wins in a runoff, cant figure out vs who though. Healy protects his home turf

E - Osbourne wins although Levin makes it a close one.

F - Runoff - Toss up - I take Robinson

At Large - Brennan Richardson and Lavarro win handily.

It just seems that to this voter - the fact that Fulop came out with an agenda so early, but then resorted to the ultra negative campaign at the end hurt him badly. I know many people who are sick of it. It has seemed to backfire in this area of Ward B.

If you read the proposals, many of them are not practical and they just seem like pipe dreams. I applaud him for his effort, but I don't think that he is the one to lead us. I have met him on a few occasions and he seems very fake and into himself. I don't see a genuine nice person in him.

The B4K issue has come back to bite him also. They can distance themselves from it all they want. If that was the case than a cease and desist order would be necessary to stop them from advertising on their behalf. Instead there are $2600 donations from Teppers wife and lots of lies. It is obvious that privatization is the goal of the Fulop campaign. If it wasn't, B4K would not be an issue

See you in 2017 - I think

I think you are a bit more invested in this than the simple Ward B voter you claim to be. Nice technique-posing as an objective observer, expressing concern over issues entirely made up by the Healy campaign. I don't think people are nearly as easily manipulated as you seem to believe. We'll know soon enough.

P.S. If you are going to write as a disinterested observer just giving an honest account of how you see things, choose a different name.

Posted on: 2013/5/12 5:22

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/27 11:46
Group:
Registered Users
Go Healy

I am glad that the end of this election cycle is coming. It has been a hard fought campaign on both sides. Unfortunately it got ugly at the very end, but the tension between the two candidates has been boiling for a few years now.

My prediction:

Healy wins first ballot - 53 Healy 44 Fulop 2 Walker 1 Malik

A - Epps destroys Gajewski - seems like Fulop camp gave that one up already anyway

B is a close one. Definite runoff but Meyers takes it as JJ endorsement of the independent hurts Chico and Meyers takes it.

C Rich Boggiano wins handily - Healy also wins big in C

D Connors wins in a runoff, cant figure out vs who though. Healy protects his home turf

E - Osbourne wins although Levin makes it a close one.

F - Runoff - Toss up - I take Robinson

At Large - Brennan Richardson and Lavarro win handily.

It just seems that to this voter - the fact that Fulop came out with an agenda so early, but then resorted to the ultra negative campaign at the end hurt him badly. I know many people who are sick of it. It has seemed to backfire in this area of Ward B.

If you read the proposals, many of them are not practical and they just seem like pipe dreams. I applaud him for his effort, but I don't think that he is the one to lead us. I have met him on a few occasions and he seems very fake and into himself. I don't see a genuine nice person in him.

The B4K issue has come back to bite him also. They can distance themselves from it all they want. If that was the case than a cease and desist order would be necessary to stop them from advertising on their behalf. Instead there are $2600 donations from Teppers wife and lots of lies. It is obvious that privatization is the goal of the Fulop campaign. If it wasn't, B4K would not be an issue

See you in 2017 - I think

Posted on: 2013/5/12 5:03

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/15 2:10
Group:
Registered Users
I live in Ward F and though I don't personally know anyone who is voting for Healy it wouldn't surprise me if a large number of people in F are going to vote for him and I'm sure their reasons are varied (voting for who they know/familiar with, voting for who they like, believing their choice is between Healy and Jerry Walker and they don't think much of 'that other guy'.) ....plenty of reasons I'm sure. I'm not sure of the logic that if there is a large turnout here that automatically means that Healy will win the majority but I don't know if it that thought process is totally wrong, they might have numbers and polls to back that up..maybe phone call and walking the street data?

Today I was able to see different aspects of each campaign from one avenue or another in Ward F and this may be a reflection of why the numbers may scew the way they might on Tuesday.

Fulop: I didn't see any of his volunteers..they are like ninjas...never seen or heard but they leave a nice mess behind. Came outside my house in the morning to find two Fulop campaign placards thrown on my stoop. Come on volunteers..don't be lazy and add to the trash on the streets..walk them up to the mailbox like I did where I placed one in my mailbox (to come back for later) and one in my tenants box. They must have come back my way again and thought they missed me because I found two more of these things thrown in my yard later in the day lol ...this time they were wet from the rain.

Walker: I was driving up MLK with my sister in the afternoon and there was this loud precession coming in the opposite direction. Sounded like a damn parade...it was Jerry Walker doing a 20 car or so party line through the neighborhood, sitting in a covertable waiving like a Miss America pageant or Homecoming King. Interesting...they certainly got people's attention as they stopped to watch the cars go by. My one thought and comment to my sister was..is Jerry Walker Dominican? Why were there so many Dominican flags flying from those cars? lol

Healy: I was sitting in my car later in the afternoon waiting for my grandmother near Pacific Ave. when I saw some really young Healy volunteers. They looked like they were in their late teens wearing their blue Healy shirts walking from door to door. I watched them for awhile as I waited and they walked up to doors and put pamphlets or whatever they had in the mailboxes, talked to some residents on their steps and I thought I even saw them ring a doorbell before I had to leave. Last but not least when I got home and got my mail out of the mailbox, I got my Fulop placard from that morning out and had a little surprise from Healy waiting for me in there too..this card lumped Fulop with Mitt Romney and the Republicans and Wall Street, it told me to vote Democrat on Tuesday!

This is just one day out of the months of all of their campaigns from one persons perspective..but it was interesting to see different things at each point in my day from each candidate in Ward F.

Posted on: 2013/5/12 4:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Stringer wrote:
Nearly 6,000 more Jersey City registered voters since Nov.

By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal
May 10, 2013 at 1:46 PM

With few days remaining until Jersey City?s quadrennial election, the city has nearly 6,000 more registered voters than it had in November, with the highest number of new voters living in Ward F.

The re-election campaign of Mayor Jerramiah Healy concentrated its voter-registration efforts in Ward F, a swath of the inner city that is largely African-American and poorer than the rest of Jersey City.

Of the 5,851 new voters in Jersey City since November 6, 22 percent, or 1,280, are in Ward F. Ward B, which encompasses the city?s West Side, has the next highest number of new voters, 1,113.

Healy?s campaign believes high turnout in Ward F could be one their keys to victory on Tuesday, when voters are tasked with selecting a mayor and all nine City Council seats. But mayoral hopeful Jerry Walker has been targeting Ward F, too, hoping that his popularity in the Bergen-Lafeyette community will lead to a large show of support for him.

Healy, who is seeking a third full term, is in a tight race with Councilman Steve Fulop, his longtime rival. He also faces a challenge from Abdul Malik.

Fulop?s home base, Ward E, which encompasses most of the Downtown, saw a small increase in registered voters, 835. The only ward with fewer new voters is Ward C, 823.

The nonpartisan election is Tuesday, May 14.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... _city_r.html#incart_river

Can someone explain to me why people in Ward F would vote for Healy? Why would he calculate that a high turnout there is good for his campaign? Has he been buying votes? A plan to stuff the ballot box?

Posted on: 2013/5/11 15:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Nearly 6,000 more Jersey City registered voters since Nov.

May 10, 2013 at 1:46 PM

With few days remaining until Jersey City?s quadrennial election, the city has nearly 6,000 more registered voters than it had in November, with the highest number of new voters living in Ward F.

The re-election campaign of Mayor Jerramiah Healy concentrated its voter-registration efforts in Ward F, a swath of the inner city that is largely African-American and poorer than the rest of Jersey City.

Of the 5,851 new voters in Jersey City since November 6, 22 percent, or 1,280, are in Ward F. Ward B, which encompasses the city?s West Side, has the next highest number of new voters, 1,113.

Healy?s campaign believes high turnout in Ward F could be one their keys to victory on Tuesday, when voters are tasked with selecting a mayor and all nine City Council seats. But mayoral hopeful Jerry Walker has been targeting Ward F, too, hoping that his popularity in the Bergen-Lafeyette community will lead to a large show of support for him.

Healy, who is seeking a third full term, is in a tight race with Councilman Steve Fulop, his longtime rival. He also faces a challenge from Abdul Malik.

Fulop?s home base, Ward E, which encompasses most of the Downtown, saw a small increase in registered voters, 835. The only ward with fewer new voters is Ward C, 823.

The nonpartisan election is Tuesday, May 14.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... _city_r.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2013/5/11 5:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/19 0:07
From Pizza City
Group:
Registered Users
He's not a career anything. Though at the Heights debate he Was very amusing. He had us roaring with laughter. It was as good as an SNL skit.

Posted on: 2013/5/9 3:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Got to admit, it takes some chutzpah to run for Mayor while on disability. This answers the mystery of why he is running. He has nothing else to do.

Edit: Just after writing this I got a robo-call from Dr. Malik. His chief argument for support is "I am not a career politician."

Posted on: 2013/5/8 22:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Stringer wrote:
Longshot Jersey City mayoral candidate Malik rails against pols

on May 08, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Yes, there are four men running for mayor in Jersey City.

Incumbent Mayor Jerramiah Healy faces three challengers, though his longtime political rivalry with mayoral hopeful City Councilman Steve Fulop grabs most of the headlines.

And Jerry Walker, who announced his bid for the mayoralty in January, earns attention because of his status as a former hoops star for St. Anthony High School, and thanks to his popular afterschool program, Team Walker.

And then there?s Abdul Malik.

Malik, 54, has less name recognition than the other three candidates, hasn?t reported raising any money to compete with his opponents? millions of dollars and is such a long-shot to win on Tuesday, May 14 that even when he attacks his opponents in debates, they almost always ignore him.

Still, Malik insists he?s a contender. He pitches himself to voters as the outsider who can clean up City Hall.

?We are not bound to pick these career politicians,? he told The Jersey Journal recently.

A doctor in his native Pakistan, Malik has lived in Jersey City for nearly 25 years. Formerly in the pharmaceutical industry, Malik has been on permanent disability since a 1992 back injury. In a March sit-down with editors from The Jersey Journal, Malik cited his disability as the reason he hasn?t done much volunteer work.

Asked whether his disability would deter him from acting as mayor, Malik said it would not.

?If somebody asked me, ?We care going to plant some flowers around the block,? I?m sorry, I can?t do that ? (but) I can work and achieve,? he said.

Malik?s campaign almost wasn?t. Mayoral candidates are required to hand in petitions with signatures from 1,331 registered voters, and Malik handed in barely enough to qualify, while officials struggled to confirm many of the petitions, a city source said.

In the end, his candidacy was certified just minutes before the 4 p.m. deadline on May 11.

Malik claims that city officials were rude to him and purposely tried to keep him from running in the May 14 race.

On the campaign trail, Malik is light on details regarding how the city would operate under a Malik administration, but he uses populist rhetoric that can be crowd-pleasing: taxes are too high, City Hall is corrupt, politicians ?never do anything for us,? etc. He has promised to lower taxes.

He can be a sloppy debater. During the five debates he participated in, he had to be told frequently to stop speaking when he went over his allotted time. And while occasionally scoring points for attacking Healy and Fulop, his thick accent, coupled with a tendency to speak close to his microphone, leave some audience members scratching their heads, wondering what he?s saying.

Malik calls himself a ?man of principle? who believes ?in strong family values.?

?I am the one who understands the issues," he told The Jersey Journal.

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... _mayoral_candidate_7.html

Hmmmm. Came here around 1988 & was permanently disabled in 1992. But he is fit enough to run the City & collect a taxpayer check in addition to his disabillity check, also taxpayer funded.

Posted on: 2013/5/8 17:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Longshot Jersey City mayoral candidate Malik rails against pols

on May 08, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Yes, there are four men running for mayor in Jersey City.

Incumbent Mayor Jerramiah Healy faces three challengers, though his longtime political rivalry with mayoral hopeful City Councilman Steve Fulop grabs most of the headlines.

And Jerry Walker, who announced his bid for the mayoralty in January, earns attention because of his status as a former hoops star for St. Anthony High School, and thanks to his popular afterschool program, Team Walker.

And then there?s Abdul Malik.

Malik, 54, has less name recognition than the other three candidates, hasn?t reported raising any money to compete with his opponents? millions of dollars and is such a long-shot to win on Tuesday, May 14 that even when he attacks his opponents in debates, they almost always ignore him.

Still, Malik insists he?s a contender. He pitches himself to voters as the outsider who can clean up City Hall.

?We are not bound to pick these career politicians,? he told The Jersey Journal recently.

A doctor in his native Pakistan, Malik has lived in Jersey City for nearly 25 years. Formerly in the pharmaceutical industry, Malik has been on permanent disability since a 1992 back injury. In a March sit-down with editors from The Jersey Journal, Malik cited his disability as the reason he hasn?t done much volunteer work.

Asked whether his disability would deter him from acting as mayor, Malik said it would not.

?If somebody asked me, ?We care going to plant some flowers around the block,? I?m sorry, I can?t do that ? (but) I can work and achieve,? he said.

Malik?s campaign almost wasn?t. Mayoral candidates are required to hand in petitions with signatures from 1,331 registered voters, and Malik handed in barely enough to qualify, while officials struggled to confirm many of the petitions, a city source said.

In the end, his candidacy was certified just minutes before the 4 p.m. deadline on May 11.

Malik claims that city officials were rude to him and purposely tried to keep him from running in the May 14 race.

On the campaign trail, Malik is light on details regarding how the city would operate under a Malik administration, but he uses populist rhetoric that can be crowd-pleasing: taxes are too high, City Hall is corrupt, politicians ?never do anything for us,? etc. He has promised to lower taxes.

He can be a sloppy debater. During the five debates he participated in, he had to be told frequently to stop speaking when he went over his allotted time. And while occasionally scoring points for attacking Healy and Fulop, his thick accent, coupled with a tendency to speak close to his microphone, leave some audience members scratching their heads, wondering what he?s saying.

Malik calls himself a ?man of principle? who believes ?in strong family values.?

?I am the one who understands the issues," he told The Jersey Journal.

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... _mayoral_candidate_7.html

Posted on: 2013/5/8 15:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City election 2013: one more week until voters head to the polls

May 07, 2013 at 11:25 PM

In just seven days, Jersey City will head to the polls for the city?s quadrennial city election, when four men will compete to become the city's mayor and 33 candidates will vie for nine seats on the City Council.

The marquee race is for mayor, with longtime political nemeses Mayor Jerramiah Healy and Ward E Councilman Steve Fulop going head-to-head for the chance to govern the state?s second-largest city.

The two have raised over $2 million total to nab the city?s top job in a campaign that becomes nastier as each day passes.

Former St. Anthony High School hoops star Jerry Walker is also making a bid for mayor. Few expect him to win, but some observers contend he could win enough votes to trigger a run-off. If no candidate wins 50 percent of the vote plus one, the two leading contenders meet again on June 11.

Abdul Malik, a doctor in his native Pakistan, is also competing, with few expecting him to win more than about 1,000 votes.

Healy, a former municipal judge and councilman, is seeking a third full term. Voters first tapped him for mayor in a special November 2004 election after Glenn Cunningham?s death, and he won election the following May to his first full term. He won again handily in 2009.

The mayor's mantra this campaign season has been, "It it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Fulop first won election to the council in 2005 ? defeating a Healy man who has since endorsed Fulop ? and was re-elected in a 2009 landslide. Fulop, a U.S. Marine and former Goldman Sachs trader, is making his first bid to be the city?s top executive.

The councilman has argued that Jersey City under Healy's leadership is not what it could be.

Fulop was considered something of a shoo-in in the middle of last year, with Healy?s campaign making a slow start in the fundraising department. But some good numbers at the end of 2012, and a high-profile endorsement of Healy by none other than President Obama, put the race back into something of a toss-up.

There is no public polling, but internal polls suggest a very tight race, sources say.

The city election is set for Tuesday, May 14, 2013, with polls opening at 6 a.m. and closing at 8 p.m. A runoff will be held June 11 for any race in which no candidate receives over 50 percent of the vote.

CITY COUNCIL

Both Healy and Fulop are running with a full slate of nine City Council candidates, while Walker is missing one at-large council hopeful and Malik is running solo.

The council races get little attention, with debates sparsely attended and most of the attention showered on the mayor's race. But if the winning mayoral candidate doesn't bring in at least six of his council hopefuls, he runs the risk of seeing his agenda falter amid opposition from the legislative body.

There are no incumbents running in Wards A, B, D and E.

AT-LARGE

The nine-member council comprises three at-large members, who represent the entire city, and six ward members, who represent different areas.

All three current at-large reps ? Peter Brennan, Rolando Lavarro and Viola Richardson ? are seeking re-election, Brennan and Richardson to their fourth terms and Lavarro to his first full term.

Brennan and Richardson have served on the council since 2001. Richardson is the former Ward F rep who was promoted to her at-large seat in a wild November 2011 special election that saw 17 candidates running for two spots.

Lavarro, who ran on a ticket with Richardson during that campaign, was the other winner of that election. He is running on Fulop?s ticket to remain an at-large councilman, while Brennan and Richardson are running with Healy.

Omar Perez, a former aide to Healy and corrupt former councilman Mariano Vega, is running on Healy?s ticket as an at-large candidate. Perez ran in the 2011 special election, coming in ninth out of 17 candidates.

On Fulop's slate, Daniel Rivera, a former president of the Roberto Clemente Little League of Jersey City, and the Rev. Joyce Watterman of the Continuous Flow Christian Center will run at-large. They are both new to Jersey City politics.

Running at-large with Walker are former city attorney Sean M. Connelly and city cop Ram?n ?Ray? Regalado.

There is a slight anomaly in the at-large race when it comes to a possible run-off: only one of the eight candidates has to win over 50 percent of the vote, not three. So if one candidate tops that threshold, the two candidates with the next highest vote totals win, too, even if they aren't on the same ticket as the winner and even if they don't top 50 percent.

WARD A

In Ward A, which encompasses Greenville, Councilman Michael Sottolano is not seeking a third term. Former schools superintendent Charles T. Epps Jr. is running to replace him. A former assemblyman, this is his first bid for council, and he?s running on Healy?s ticket.

Epps will face Frank Gajewski, a former police chief, who is running on Fulop?s slate, and Rickey Johnson, a Hudson County Jail administrator running with Walker.

Independent candidate Jayson Burg is also running in Ward A. Burg was an also-ran in the last two school-board elections. Lori Hennessey is also running unaffiliated with a slate.

WARD B

Ward B Councilman David Donnelly, after previously announcing that he had joined Fulop?s slate, opted in January not to seek re-election.

Donnelly joined the council as a mayoral appointment in 2009, and then won a special election in 2010 to remain in the seat until this July.

Donnelly aide Khemraj "Chico" Ramchal, a Hudson County Improvement Authority employee, will run on Fulop's ticket in Donnelly's place. Ramchal is an unpaid aide to Freeholder Bill O'Dea, who has endorsed Fulop's ticket. Ramchal was formerly a part-time worker for the Hudson County Sheriff?s Office, but resigned soon after announced his council bid, according to an HCSO spokesman.

Healy's pick for Ward B, which encompasses the West Side, is county employee and Dem activist Gerald Meyers, who formerly ran the Lincoln Park Little League.

Also hoping to win in Ward B are Chris Gadsden, a Lincoln High School vice principal who is running with Walker, and activist Esther Wintner, who ran unsuccessfully for the same seat in a 2010 special election. Wintner is unaffiliated with a slate.

WARD C

Ward C Councilwoman Nidia Lopez is seeking re-election to her second full term. Lopez is a former Healy ally who now backs Fulop.

She will face JP Morgan analyst Janet Chevres. Chevres is running on Healy's ticket in Ward C, which Healy supporters have vowed to "take back" from Lopez.

Walker has enlisted Adela Rohena, a homeless activist and part-time teacher's aide with the public-school district, to run in Ward C on his ticket.

Meanwhile, former Jersey City cop Rich Boggiano, who made a strong showing in the 2011 at-large special election, will run in Ward C, which encompasses Journal Square. Boggiano, head of Journal Square?s Hilltop Neighborhood Association, is unaffiliated with a ticket.

WARD D

Central Avenue shop owner Michael Yun, who heads the Central Avenue Special Improvement District, is running to replace Ward D Councilman Bill Gaughan. Gaughan has been Ward D?s council rep for nearly two decades, and announced in early January that he doesn't plan to run for a sixth term.

Yun has raised an impressive $137,000 so far, according to his latest campaign filings (by comparison, Boggiano, another independent candidate who has a good shot at winning, has raised only about $20,000).

The Healy camp had hoped Assemblyman Sean Connors would run with them to succeed Gaughan, but Connors, who endorsed Healy in September 2012, retracted his endorsement two months later in a move that stunned and angered Healy loyalists and even some in Connors? camp. He then joined Fulop's slate as its candidate in Ward D, which encompasses The Heights.

Healy, meanwhile, tapped the Rev. Mario Gonzalez, who heads the The Hope Center for the Visual and Performing Arts, to run on his ticket in Ward D. Walker is running businesswoman Grace Giron in The Heights.

WARD E

Ward E ? the Downtown, Fulop?s base ? finds community activist Dan Levin running on Healy?s ticket, much to the surprise of some of his supporters.

Levin, who called on Healy to resign after the massive 2009 corruption sweep, came in fourth when he ran for mayor that year and came in seventh out of 17 candidates when he ran for an at-large council seat in the 2011 special election.

Fulop, meanwhile, has tapped activist Candice Osborne to run for his current seat, while Second Street man Fletcher Gensamer is running independent of any ticket.

WARD F

In Ward F, which includes the Bergen-Lafayette section and a portion of Downtown, Ward F Councilwoman Diane Coleman is running for re-election on Fulop's slate. Coleman, who runs Building an Empire, a nonprofit that connects needy residents with social services, won in a November 2012 special election for a term that ends June 30.

She defeated Michele Massey, who was appointed to the seat in December 2011 after Richardson became a councilwoman at large.

Jermaine Robinson, who runs the Light Rail Caf? on Randolph Avenue, is running on Healy?s ticket as a Ward F candidate.

Walker's Ward F candidate is Chantel Snow, a Dickinson High School English teacher.

Independent candidates in Ward F include minister Deborah King and small-business owner Kenny Reyes.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... ty_election_2013_one.html

Posted on: 2013/5/8 4:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
One of the more outrageous/comical moments of the debate was Healy going on a yelling tear about how all of Fulop's campaign lit & commercials were all lies. He especially hammered the commercial that is simply the FBI tapes of the Mayor with Dwek, with little to no edits in them. So I guess the FBI is lying....

I thought the funniest moment was at the end when Fulop was wrapping up, Healy jumped up & said he wanted to respond to something & the audience yelled "NO!". That said it all.

Posted on: 2013/4/28 1:21

Ward F Closing Statements
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/17 7:21
Group:
Registered Users
Found links for Ward F closing statements @ www.hudsoncountytv.com

Posted on: 2013/4/27 16:54

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/9 18:52
From Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Among Jersey City council candidates, almost half have public jobs, pensions

I will be voting Fulop but voting independent for all other slots. This is insane.

Posted on: 2013/4/26 16:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, please do. The final one is being held downtown next week. Details above on this forum in the "Debate Schedule" thread. IT outta be good.

Posted on: 2013/4/26 15:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/10 21:37
From The Heights.
Group:
Registered Users
I really need to go to the mayoral debates. It sounds like I should bring popcorn and gummy worms as well.

Posted on: 2013/4/26 15:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
One of the more outrageous/comical moments of the debate was Healy going on a yelling tear about how all of Fulop's campaign lit & commercials were all lies. He especially hammered the commercial that is simply the FBI tapes of the Mayor with Dwek, with little to no edits in them. So I guess the FBI is lying....

Posted on: 2013/4/26 15:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/16 19:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

... Would ward F (non city employees ) really go that strongly for Healy otherwise? Surely they've noticed being ignored for 9 years?...

Yes.

Posted on: 2013/4/26 10:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/1 19:35
Group:
Registered Users
+1

Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
WOW. I just got home from tonight's Mayoral Debate. Wow. If you weren't there, you missed a really good one. Healy looked lost without his crony crew, and he screamed a lot and interrupted people with his yelling. He also seems to think he deserves more rebuttles than anyone else. Towards the end, EVERYONE was sick of him yelling - "Can I respond to that?" and the crowed yelled "NO!"

Fulop did extremely well, and Walker was all right as well. Thought I still fail to see concrete plans from Walker. And on the rare occasion he does talk plans, they are the same as Fulop's in most cases. He has some good ideas, but not the experience to implement them.

Posted on: 2013/4/26 3:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I think you misunderstood my reply. I was not advocating that the person who's signs were destroyed retaliate in kind. I was suggestion they right a "letter to the editor" about the vandalism, as a lady on Healy's side did (and hr letter was crazy. I'm sure this person could write something more eloquent).

But I do like your suggestion better! Leave 'em there. In fact, they could make a sign to put next to the damage signs saying something like "See how low a losing side will stoop? [with an arrow pointing the slashed sign] Vote Team Fulop"

Posted on: 2013/4/26 2:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PlainSlice wrote:
Quote:

The head of the Jersey City Asian Merchants Association yesterday announced he is supporting Mayor Jerramiah Healy?s bid for re-election, citing Healy?s commitment to the city?s Indo-American community.

Healy ?continues to recognize the potential of the community and expects us to provide r?sum?s for representation in different agencies and on boards in Jersey City,? Patel writes.

Healy will let you submit resumes for agencies and boards? Wow. Impressive. Could you tell us exactly how many resumes he's asked you for in the first nine years of his administration? Let me guess: none.

Healy's commitment to the city's Indo-American community? Like the way he supported your niece in her run for the school board?

And you couldn't even get the association you head to endorse this stalwart friend of Indo-Americans?

Hands down: this is the leading candidate for most pathetic endorsement of the year.

I'm not so certain that all the people that belong to that association can vote, or are registered to vote anyway.

Posted on: 2013/4/26 2:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
WOW. I just got home from tonight's Mayoral Debate. Wow. If you weren't there, you missed a really good one. Healy looked lost without his crony crew, and he screamed a lot and interrupted people with his yelling. He also seems to think he deserves more rebuttles than anyone else. Towards the end, EVERYONE was sick of him yelling - "Can I respond to that?" and the crowed yelled "NO!"

Fulop did extremely well, and Walker was all right as well. Thought I still fail to see concrete plans from Walker. And on the rare occasion he does talk plans, they are the same as Fulop's in most cases. He has some good ideas, but not the experience to implement them.

Posted on: 2013/4/26 2:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/10 19:14
Group:
Registered Users
Brewster - Healy has Cunningham and that will help Healy's cause with the black vote so I think Walker having had a long standing presence in BL will take away some black votes from Healy. I have heard this theory from others and it may just do the trick.

Posted on: 2013/4/26 2:17

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/13 15:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
Quote:

FakeGreenDress wrote:
All the Fulop signs on my block (and a couple nearby blocks too, it seems) got slashed up last night:

Resized Image

Think it's finally time for me to sign up to volunteer...

This sucks. You could do what the other side is doing - write a Letter to the Editor of the JJ about it.

Whatever you do, DON'T DO WHAT THE OTHER SIDE IS DOING. THEY'RE LOSING!

1. Leave the sign up the way it is so your neighbors can see who stands for what.

2. Volunteer: http://stevenfulop.com/volunteer

3. And make sure you and every person you know VOTES the Fulop ticket.

Signs will not win the election or win back the city. VOTERS WILL.

Posted on: 2013/4/26 1:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

81905 wrote:
One thing is for certain having Walker in this race is a huge + for Fulop. When Fulop wins he better send Mr. Walker a nice bottle of Dom.

Fulop for Mayor 2013!

Why do you say that? Would ward F (non city employees ) really go that strongly for Healy otherwise? Surely they've noticed being ignored for 9 years?

Re polls. Can it possibly hurt Fulop in any way responding to these? I do it on occasion when I'm feeling generous. And then finally hang up when they go on too long. The one tonight did not appear to be a push-poll, unlike some others a few weeks ago.

Posted on: 2013/4/26 1:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/10 19:14
Group:
Registered Users
One thing is for certain having Walker in this race is a huge + for Fulop. When Fulop wins he better send Mr. Walker a nice bottle of Dom.

Fulop for Mayor 2013!

Posted on: 2013/4/26 0:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
Fifth survey

Posted on: 2013/4/26 0:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/16 19:07
Group:
Registered Users
Umm... Err... Someone ought to tell the campaigns to try real hard to keep from calling the same person more than once in any given day. Once is annoying enough....two times is really really annoying.

Posted on: 2013/4/25 22:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/4/25 22:38

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 10 »

[Advanced Search]