Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
103 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 103

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 »

Re: Jersey City election 2013: where the race stands
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/2 18:35
From Journal Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

InsideStraight wrote:
Who won the only competition that matters: the St. Patrick's Day Parade?

If the parade were the election, Fulop would be Mayor. There was a bigger group marching with him, and better crowd response, at least where I was.

The parade seemed a bit bigger and livelier this year.

Posted on: 2013/3/11 13:08
Follow the yellow brick road.

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/13 15:22
Group:
Registered Users
Forget the signs - not important. Everybody knows what's really important, and that's the burning question of the day. Who won the only competition that matters: the St. Patrick's Day Parade?

Posted on: 2013/3/11 1:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
A couple of kids from the Healy campaign in their late teen / early 20's were working my neighborhood yesterday. I noticed after they passed through, there are a lot of Healy signs in apartment windows and on exterior doors.

The campaigners asked if they could count on me voting for Healy slate. I responded, "not even at gunpoint".

Haven't seen anyone from Fulop's campaign yet.

Don't worry. Signs will be available soon. Just remember - signs don't vote, Healy & Co. are just posturing.

Posted on: 2013/3/10 22:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
A couple of kids from the Healy campaign in their late teen / early 20's were working my neighborhood yesterday. I noticed after they passed through, there are a lot of Healy signs in apartment windows and on exterior doors.

The campaigners asked if they could count on me voting for Healy slate. I responded, "not even at gunpoint".

Haven't seen anyone from Fulop's campaign yet.

Posted on: 2013/3/10 15:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City election 2013: Waterman no longer on Walker ticket

By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal
on March 08, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Jersey City mayoral candidate Jerry Walker confirmed today that Board of Education Vice President Sterling Waterman is no longer a candidate on Walker?s slate.

Waterman, who was set to make his first bid for a council seat, has not filed the necessary petitions to be placed on the May 14 ballot, according to the City Clerk?s office. The petitions are due Monday at 4 p.m.

Waterman did not immediately return a request for comment.

Asked why the Walker campaign and Waterman have split, Walker said, ?It was best for both sides.?

Waterman joined the Board of Education in 2010 after winning in a landslide with help from Ward E Councilman Steve Fulop, who is running for mayor against Walker and incumbent Mayor Jerramiah Healy.

By all accounts, Fulop and Waterman no longer speak, but Waterman has been a central figure in the Healy campaign's allegations that Fulop has used his influence on the BOE to reward his political donors, a charge Fulop flatly denies.

Emails leaked to the Jersey Journal show Fulop introducing Waterman to business people who later won contracts with the school district. Another leaked email shows Waterman consulting one of those men regarding school district business.

The Walker campaign announced Waterman was joining its slate just about one month ago. Also running at-large with Walker are former city attorney Sean M. Connelly and city police officer Ray Regalado.

The race is set for Tuesday, May 14, when the mayoralty and all nine council seats are up for grabs.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... 13_wate.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2013/3/9 4:19

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
To the extent that Fulop is practicing demographic politics, you'd have to say that women are first on his list.

1. The highest number of women ever on a Council ticket (4, all of whom have serious chances of winning)

2. Women make up a major part of his volunteer crew (remember those school board elections)

3. Coincidentally a Women's Day fundraiser tonight

You'd have to say that demographically, Fulop is the Obama Democrat in this race, while Healy is the McCain/Romney old white guy yelling "get off my porch" and hoping all the other old white guys will come along.

Bad electoral math in Jersey City.

Posted on: 2013/3/8 22:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal

Jerry Walker, the former high school and college basketball star who now runs a popular afterschool program for Jersey City kids, has been certified to run for mayor in May, the City Clerk's office confirmed today.

Walker is the third mayoral candidate approved for the May 14 citywide race, when the mayoralty and all nine City Council seats are up for grabs.

Mayor Jerramiah Healy is seeking a third full term, and his candidacy was certified this week. Ward E Councilman Steve Fulop, Healy's longtime rival, will also be on the ballot.

To be certified for the ballot, mayoral candidates must submit about 1,300 signatures from registered city voters.

Posted on: 2013/3/8 22:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Last Friday evening, in Jersey City, N.J., the entire ticket of the Steve Fulop for Mayor Team, which includes Filipino-American incumbent Councilman Rolando Lavarro, Jr., held a spirited Town Hall meeting with the city?s Filipino community.

The city?s estimated 20,000 Filipinos make the city?s politicians think of a best way or ways on how to win the votes of this block, which could sway the outcome of an election.

Or, for those who belong to the old school of traditional politicking, they seem to be applying the old trick of dividing the votes of the Filipinos.

Since 1985 (remember Joe Bunao and Flor Alcantara Medel? (now Reyes), when both ran against each other, the Filipinos in this city, in almost every election, had been the victims of politics of division, Jersey City style.

Pinoys, wittingly or unwittingly, were lured and agreed to run under opposing tickets.

As a result, they were unable to send a Filipino to City Hall despite their number.

But that seems to be a thing of the past.

In 2011, a principled young man, Rolando Lavarro, Jr., entered the city?s political scene without opposition from a fellow Filipino.

Pinoys in the city rallied behind his candidacy.

He won and was elected councilman-at-large.

Lavarro is running again for re-election in the May polls for a full-term of four years.

To prove a point, mayoral candidate Fulop told his Filipino audience during last Friday?s Town Hall meet that the first person he invited to run with him in his ticket was Lavarro.

?Filipinos are high in my list,? said Fulop.

Steve Fulop emphasized that his team?s campaign is centered on honesty and ideas.

The topics discussed during the Town Hall meet were judicial appointments and good government.

Mr. Fulop also told his Filipino audience that if elected city mayor in May, with a revised appointment procedures in place, he will recommend acting Municipal Chief Judge Carlo Abad, a Filipino-American, for a permanent position.

(The candidate received a loud applause for that pledge from his enthusiastic audience.)

Candidate Fulop advised that, in effect, the Abad issue is now moot and academic because the judge is now occupying the position that many wanted him to occupy in the first place.

He was appointed to the post by a New Jersey superior court judge after Fulop?s group in the City Council rejected Mayor Healy?s nomination due to timing, it, being the eve of an election.

(To us, the appointment of Judge Abad by another more senior judge, and not by a mayor, was more transparent process and free from suspicion of being tainted by politics.)

Mr. Fulop asked Filipinos in Jersey City to remain united and not to allow certain politicians divide them again, as were done in past elections.

A Filipina in the audience aptly put it this way, ?Let?s not make Filipinos become victims again.?

I guess it?s, indeed time, for Councilman Lavarro and company to move the campaign in Jersey City to a higher level.

I think the Fil-Am councilman has already explained his controversial ?no? vote very well.

After two weeks of temporary ?derailment? because of the Abad story, I think it?s time to leave the story behind and proceed with legitimate issues that concern the 200,000 residents of our city.

After all, these officials represent the best interests of all the people.

This is true, especially in the case of Councilman-at-Large Lavarro.

Though, I believe he has the best interests of the Filipinos at heart, he represents the interests of all the residents of Jersey City in the City Council.

I understand the Fulop Team has lined up a good number of subjects and proposals that they intend to present to the people of Jersey City.

The Dreamers Resolution authored by Councilman Lavarro and co-authored by Ward C Councilwoman Nidia Lopez is just one of those proposals.

During last Wednesday?s session of the Jersey City Council, the two officials sponsored a resolution pressing New Jersey state officials to pass two pieces of legislation that would allow ?DREAMers? (undocumented children in New Jersey) to qualify for in-state tuition and access to state financial aid at New Jersey?s public colleges and universities.

DREAMers is the term often used for undocumented children who came to the United States at a young age.

DREAMers? undocumented status makes them ineligible for state financial aid and requires them to pay prohibitive out-of-state tuition ? as much as double in-state rates ? if they seek to attend public colleges and universities, despite their long-term residency in the United States.

?Jersey City is home to many DREAMers and these are our children,? said Lavarro.

He added, ?They have worked hard, earned good grades, and dreamed big dreams. Many of them have known no other home. All they want is the opportunity to continue their education, and give back to their state of New Jersey.?

There is a growing movement in America towards normalizing rights for DREAMers.

This movement was spearheaded by undocumented Filipino-American journalist Jose Antonio Vargas.

Twelve states, including New York, have already enacted tuition equity laws, with five other states considering similar laws.

And just last year, President Obama enacted a policy called ?Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals,? which provides eligible DREAMers with temporary relief from the threat of deportation and a two-year work permit.

I am excited as to what more, this Fulop group, has in store for us, Jersey City?ans. - Filipino Reporter

Posted on: 2013/3/8 19:42

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/11 5:14
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stupidseven wrote:
I've always thought anyone who uses the term 'common sense', is trying to pull a fast one, or that they have no idea what is going on.

I've seen Fulop's ideas, some I like, some I hated. The overall theme I got from it though is that the city is going to need to invest $ in itself.

Not sure how he plans on generating the necessary $, he ignored that sticking point.

Do you have a problem with the common part, or the sense part?

Let's take the prime example, though. The city already invests $ in itself. However, many are wasted because the city work force is often hired for reasons not related to ability and is often incompetently managed. Particularly when it comes to information systems, they are pathetic. The City's major problem here does not seem to be the amount spent, but how it is spent.

Here I think Fulop gets it exactly right, by starting at the top with the directors of City agencies. Living out of town is a symptom of the fact that they are appointed for reasons having nothing to do with the job they can do for the city. I've watched them stumble through their own budgets, misplace millions of dollars, lie about their departments and their performance, and consistently demonstrate an inability to plan AND deliver. I think we have NO IDEA what a competently managed city would look like because it's been so long since the HCDeadO tried anything like it.

Posted on: 2013/3/6 16:01

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 17:00
Group:
Registered Users
I've always thought anyone who uses the term 'common sense', is trying to pull a fast one, or that they have no idea what is going on.

I've seen Fulop's ideas, some I like, some I hated. The overall theme I got from it though is that the city is going to need to invest $ in itself.

Not sure how he plans on generating the necessary $, he ignored that sticking point.

Posted on: 2013/3/6 15:46

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/11 5:14
Group:
Registered Users
Fulop's plan is common-sense, no rocket science involved. Healy's people seem to be living in an alternate universe. Just try using the "award winning" city website. Just try calling the Mayor's "Action" Bureau. Just try finding a city director in town on the weekend.

Posted on: 2013/3/6 15:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Jersey City mayoral hopeful Steve Fulop released another plank in his platform this week, saying as mayor he would require all department directors to live in Jersey City, eliminate all non-essential city vehicles and sponsor a referendum asking voters if they want to move city elections to November.

Fulop, also the Downtown representative on the City Council, is challenging Mayor Jerramiah Healy in the May 14 city race. The councilman?s latest platform ? on government structure and modernization ? is one of four his campaign has released, and it would help ?restore our residents? full faith? in city government, Fulop said.

?By modernizing our operating practices and technology, evaluating and improving the structure of our departments and city government as a whole, and promoting ideas that put the people first, I believe Jersey City can be the example other cities look to when adopting best practices in governmental operations,? he said in a statement from his campaign.

The newest platform is a 13-point plan, available on Fulop?s campaign website, that also includes a two-term limit for elected officials, a redesign of the city?s website and a ?meritocracy-based? hiring system that would require the city to review at least three r?sum?s for every position with an annual salary of $60,000 or more.

Fulop would also seek to replicate New York City?s popular 311 help line, which allows residents to report non-emergencies while not clogging the 911 system.

City spokeswoman Jennifer Morrill said Fulop?s proposals are either ?pie in the sky? items or ideas Healy?s administration has already implemented.

The city?s current website is ?robust? and ?award winning,? and in the middle of a redesign, while GovQA already handles non-emergency calls from residents, Morrill said.

?In addition, interfaces to other third-party products such as Qscend and SeeClickFix are also being examined to ensure that no matter how constituents choose to enter their requests, the correct data is recorded and forwarded to the appropriate agency for action with minimal duplication of effort,? she said.

Fulop campaign spokesman Bruno Tedeschi said he is ?not surprised? to hear the city?s claims that Fulop?s proposals are essentially old news.

"The reality is that with streets that have trash all over them, graffiti popping up on buildings, city parks covered with weeds, and constituent concerns not being addressed, it is hard to say that our plan won't be an improvement,? Fulop spokesman Bruno Tedeschi said.

I love Morrill saying anything about anything. A third rate reporter at the JJ, she became Heely's press person in 2007. Between the time she left the JJ and became the press whatever, Morrill took phone calls for the city's now defunct NID. She had to wait until the other press person, Pignataro left. Pignataro got the job because she was dating one of Heely's kids.

How desparate is this crew? They know the free ride is over.

Posted on: 2013/3/6 12:15

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/2 18:35
From Journal Square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

City spokeswoman Jennifer Morrill said Fulop?s proposals are either ?pie in the sky? items or ideas Healy?s administration has already implemented.

Apparently Healy has already brought city government into the 22nd century, and the poor quality of its website, the inability of city employees to deliver timely information, and the rich talent pool provided by nephews, nieces and cousins of current city workers are something we should be grateful for.

The comments on the nj.com site are pretty rich.

I really liked the observation that in response to Fulop's detailed plan, the city sent out a blast asking people to Like its lame Facebook page.

Posted on: 2013/3/6 3:49
Follow the yellow brick road.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Jersey City mayoral hopeful Steve Fulop released another plank in his platform this week, saying as mayor he would require all department directors to live in Jersey City, eliminate all non-essential city vehicles and sponsor a referendum asking voters if they want to move city elections to November.

Fulop, also the Downtown representative on the City Council, is challenging Mayor Jerramiah Healy in the May 14 city race. The councilman?s latest platform ? on government structure and modernization ? is one of four his campaign has released, and it would help ?restore our residents? full faith? in city government, Fulop said.

?By modernizing our operating practices and technology, evaluating and improving the structure of our departments and city government as a whole, and promoting ideas that put the people first, I believe Jersey City can be the example other cities look to when adopting best practices in governmental operations,? he said in a statement from his campaign.

The newest platform is a 13-point plan, available on Fulop?s campaign website, that also includes a two-term limit for elected officials, a redesign of the city?s website and a ?meritocracy-based? hiring system that would require the city to review at least three r?sum?s for every position with an annual salary of $60,000 or more.

Fulop would also seek to replicate New York City?s popular 311 help line, which allows residents to report non-emergencies while not clogging the 911 system.

The city?s current website is ?robust? and ?award winning,? and in the middle of a redesign, while GovQA already handles non-emergency calls from residents, Morrill said.

?In addition, interfaces to other third-party products such as Qscend and SeeClickFix are also being examined to ensure that no matter how constituents choose to enter their requests, the correct data is recorded and forwarded to the appropriate agency for action with minimal duplication of effort,? she said.

Fulop campaign spokesman Bruno Tedeschi said he is ?not surprised? to hear the city?s claims that Fulop?s proposals are essentially old news.

"The reality is that with streets that have trash all over them, graffiti popping up on buildings, city parks covered with weeds, and constituent concerns not being addressed, it is hard to say that our plan won't be an improvement,? Fulop spokesman Bruno Tedeschi said.

Posted on: 2013/3/5 22:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City election 2013: one week left for candidates to file petitions

March 04, 2013 at 4:56 PM

The deadline for candidates in Jersey City?s quadrennial municipal election to file petitions with the City Clerk to have their candidacies certified is in one week, and as of Friday 51 would-be candidates have picked up petitions signaling an intention to run for mayor or City Council.

Only about 20 of those potential candidates have filed the requisite number of petitions, while 15 have been certified to run, including the entire council slate of Ward E Councilman Steve Fulop.

Fulop is the only mayoral candidate certified to run so far. The Downtown councilman since 2005, he is running against Mayor Jerramiah Healy, who is seeking a third full term, and former local basketball star Jerry Walker.

Some of the names of would-be candidates who have picked up petitions ? mayoral and at-large council candidates have to hand in 1,331 petitions, while ward candidates have to submit anywhere from 195 to 261, depending on the size of their ward ? may be familiar to voters in past city elections.

Dwayne K. Baskerville picked up petitions to run for mayor, as did frequent Jersey Journal letter writer Abdul Malik. Malik ran for an at-large seat in 2009 and won only about 2 percent of the vote.

City gadfly Jayson Burg, a consistent presence at council and school-board meetings, has picked up petitions to run in Ward A. Burg ran in the last two school-board races, and came in dead last both times.

Adela Rohena and Imtiaz Syed, who made failed attempts to win an at-large council seat during a November 2011 special election, have each picked up petitions to run in Ward C, as has Edward Mesa, a retired sheriff?s officer who was ejected from a Hudson County Freeholders meeting in 2008.

A complete list of individuals who have picked up petitions can be found on the city's website.

The election is set for May 14. Would-be candidates must file petitions by 4 p.m. on Monday, March 11.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... y_election_2013_51_w.html

Posted on: 2013/3/5 0:22

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/1 3:20
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

by mfadam on 2013/3/1 12:04:11

Not sure if Healy's ticker can take a close election - the guy is not exactly a portrait of health...

With their over confidence, I think it will be over before he even knows what happened.

Posted on: 2013/3/3 4:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
Not sure if Healy's ticker can take a close election - the guy is not exactly a portrait of health...

Posted on: 2013/3/1 17:04

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I wonder if we are now at a tipping point.

The buzz and the feeling out of the two campaigns is completely different. Healy's Casino in the Park event had the air of nervous bravado, as do all the shrill press releases. Fulop's Zeppelin Hall event last night had his supporters pumped, maybe even over-confident.

Healy's team is having a lot of trouble getting their petitions done - not a good sign. Even the ward candidates who have a much lower threshold, really not a good sign. Fulop's team got out of the box early (4 years ago?) and has had their petitions in and full slate qualified for weeks now.

If former supporters are looking at the rising water level belowdecks (and they are), the next few weeks will be telling. Look for the Healy campaign to step up the press release war with announcements of ribbon-cuttings for projects without blueprints, and endorsements from all 3 members of the Amalgamated Union of Basketweavers. Oh, and did you know, he's a Democrat and a close personal friend of Barack Obama?

Look for the Fulop campaign to press their advantage in the opposite direction. There just might be another TV ad in the wings, and every time a former Healy loyalist jumps ship, look for the brass bands.

The big question for both campaigns, though, is not who wins the war of bluster, but who gets to the finish line. Healy hopes that the Fulop newcomers are all talk, and will spend the rest of the campaign on Facebook. It's up to Fulop to prove him wrong.

Posted on: 2013/3/1 16:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/8 0:52
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
This is going to be interesting... I'm curious if the JCIA will remove those signs like they typically do for healy... lets see where oren's loyalty lies...

Posted on: 2013/2/25 13:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Sandra Cunningham has election signs up all over City Hall lawn this morning.

Posted on: 2013/2/25 13:18

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/24 2:25
From The Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Jermaine Robinson, owner of the Light Rail Caf?, said he?s running to ?give back to my community.?

Is this the new place at the corner of Union St? I have friends on the block who wish he'd give back some peace and quiet to the community.There's late night partying outside the bar, and neighbors complain of noise, street activity, fights and police visits.

Posted on: 2013/2/12 20:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy?s re-election campaign today announced its final City Council candidate for the May 14 election, a Randolph Avenue caf? owner who will run in Ward F.

Jermaine Robinson, owner of the Light Rail Caf?, said he?s running to ?give back to my community.?

?While some local leaders might care more about Wall Street, I understand first-hand the struggles of my fellow small-business owners and will always have their back,? Robinson said in a statement from the Healy campaign, taking a not-so-veiled shot at Healy rival Ward E Councilman Steve Fulop, a Wall Street trader.

Robinson rounds out Healy?s council slate, which also includes at-large candidates Councilman Peter Brennan, Councilwoman Viola Richardson and former mayoral aide Omar Perez; former schools superintendent Charles T. Epps. Jr. in Ward A; county worker Jerry Meyers in Ward B; business analyst Janet Chevres in Ward C; the Rev. Mario Gonzales in Ward D; and activist Dan Levin in Ward E.

Healy said Robinson is motivated to always do what?s best for Jersey City.

?Jermaine Robinson has dedicated his life to giving back to his community and making life better for his neighbors,? the mayor said. ?Jermaine and I will work together to keep the progress going in Ward F and throughout this city we both love.?

Healy, seeking his third full term, will face Fulop and former high school and college basketball star Jerry Walker in the May 14 mayor?s race. All nine council seats are also up for grabs.

"While I haven't seen this gentleman anywhere in the Ward F community or even heard of him in my 13 years of service, I know Steven Fulop, a former Marine, is fighting for my neighborhood everyday," said Fulop's Ward F candidate, Councilwoman Diane Coleman, in a statement.

Posted on: 2013/2/12 16:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/23 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
You sound like you are campaigning for Rich Boggiano and if you are then you are laying it on thick.

Robinhood was not as cut and dry as you might think and in the end a lot of people supported it even if half the immediate neighborhood did not.

I was at the court house for the residency thing and know the lawyer for Norrice Raymaker. Again, not so cut and dry as you try and make it out to be.

If you are rooting for Richie, a dear friend of mine and a real neighborhood fighter, then you are doing him a complete disservice here.

Quote:

jetsfanwink wrote:
So what you are saying is that it's ok for Nidia Lopez to cheat on her taxes because 99% of people cheat on something. It's especially ok to be corrupt when that person is part of Fulop's team.

Also, Lopez voted for robinhood. So much for her great voting record for the residents of ward C.

So do you support Dan Levin even though he's on Healy's ticket? If not then maybe you should change your name to LimpiarElAnyoneNotOnWunderkindFulop'sTeam

Posted on: 2013/2/10 21:59
soshin: Mention guns and bd pops up through a hole in the ground like a heavily armed meercat

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Emails obtained by The Jersey Journal illustrate the kinds of hands-on dealings that Ward E City Councilman Steve Fulop, a contender in May's mayoral race, has had with the Board of Education.

Fulop was instrumental in getting eight of the nine current members of the board elected, though a handful have since distanced themselves from the Downtown councilman.

Fulop opponents have claimed he essentially gives his BOE allies marching orders, and an operative for the re-election campaign of Fulop rival Mayor Jerramiah Healy has filed a lawsuit seeking his emails with board members. Those emails have yet to be released, but a source leaked three to The Jersey Journal.

In two, from May and July 2010, Fulop introduces BOE member Sterling Waterman, who won a seat to the school board just one month before with Fulop's support, to Fulop supporters who represent firms that later won contracts with the school district.

In the first email, dated May 25, 2010, Fulop tells Waterman that Ryan Graham, a Fulop fundraiser and director at Verona-based Fairview Insurance Agency Associates, is "a good intro for you in NJ politics and one of the best families," and asks them to "coordinate calendars."

In the July 23, 2010 email, Fulop writes to Lester Taylor of Rochelle Park law firm Florio Perrucci Steinhardt & Fader, cc'ing Waterman and Graham, and urges Waterman and Taylor to meet.

The following year, the law firm won a $125,000 contract with the school district to provide legal counsel, and this year has a $100,000 contract. Fairview, meanwhile, won a controversial brokerage contract with the BOE last April. Waterman voted to approve them all.

The third email, dated Jan. 31, 2011, was sent from Paul Fader, a Fulop supporter and partner at Florio Perrucci Steinhardt & Fader. In the email, Fader invites Waterman, Graham and Fulop to a Knicks game.

Fulop's opponents say the councilman publicly extols the virtues of banning pay-to-play while privately urging his own allies to reward donors with public contracts, a charge Fulop flatly denies. Fulop told The Jersey Journal that he did not attend the Knicks game, nor does he attend any event where a vendor is paying for admission.

The councilman said the emails are simply proof that he introduced a BOE member to powerful people in the political world. "I've made a huge number of introductions," he said.

"People from those introductions of course bid on work and some didn't get it." Tim White, a spokesman for Graham and the Florio and Perrucci law firm, said Graham didn't attend the Knicks game, either, and declined to comment further. Requests for comment from Waterman were not returned.

Waterman last week announced his candidacy for an at-large seat on the council in May's election.

A BOE attorney said last week week that the emails sought by the Healy campaign operative will be released soon. He had originally denied the operative's public-records request, calling it "overly broad."

Posted on: 2013/2/10 18:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy today announced the Rev. Mario Gonzalez, of the Hope Center for the Visual and Performing Arts, will run on Healy?s re-election ticket as a Ward D City Council candidate.

Gonzalez is the penultimate choice for Healy?s slate, which is full aside from a Ward F candidate. He has run The Hope Center, a faith-based cultural center in The Heights, for the past 13 years,

Gonzalez said in a statement from the Healy campaign that he is ?honored? in the confidence the mayor has placed in him.

?In Ward D, the Healy administration has preserved the reservoir, obtained funding necessary to create the 100 Steps, and done good work with affordable and workforce housing,? Gonzalez said in a statement from the Healy campaign. ?We have always worked alongside the Mayor and look forward to continuing to do so as we take our communities to the next level.?

Gonzalez will face Assemblyman Sean Connors, running on a ticket headed by Healy opponent Ward E Councilman Steve Fulop, and Central Avenue business owner Michael Yun in the May 14 city election.

?From his work with at-risk youth to the arts to faith-based initiatives, Mario Gonzalez puts others first and knows how to bring people together. Together, we?ll work to keep the progress going in Jersey City,? Healy said.

Gonzalez was one of a number of Latino pastors who endorsed Healy in December, when Healy allies vowed to "take back" the Ward C council seat from former Healy ally Councilwoman Nidia Lopez.

Healy will face Fulop and former high school and college basketball star Jerry Walker on May 14. The mayoralty and all nine council seats are up for grabs.

Posted on: 2013/2/7 20:25

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/23 13:29
Group:
Registered Users
Ciolko ran in the 2011 special election, so if he's been faking the funk on residency then he's been at it for a while.

If there's anything about Jersey City that makes it special it's that rules don't really matter. Being a law abiding citizen is not a requirement to run for office, get elected, or get re-elected in JC.

Posted on: 2013/2/7 13:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Not to take away from this what is quickly becoming a boring thread here is something that should be of interest to the people who live in Ward D.......

House up the street from me was foreclosed on & bought by Ed Ciolka, a retired City worker, in June 2012. The house has been EMPTY since then with the exception of some inside repairs. About 2 weeks ago a sign appears on the house that ED CIOLKA, WHO LIVES IN RANDOLPH, NJ, is running for Ward D council.

If anyone in Ward D is approached by this person & asked to sign a petition remember:

ED CIOLKA DOES NOT AND HAS NEVER LIVED IN JERSEY CITY.

Posted on: 2013/2/7 12:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
The mayoral campaign of Jersey City City Councilman Steve Fulop today revealed its plans to combat crime in New Jersey's second largest city.
Increasing community policing, emplying more civilians to fill administrative roles and boosting communication between police officers and community groups are among the items Fulop's camp believes will lower crime.

Fulop told The Jersey Journal that he feels he would be able to implement his plans without raising taxes significantly.

"Community policing doesn't require extra money. It requires a commitment," said Frank Gajewski, a former Jersey City police chief and Fulop's council candidate in Ward A.

Campaign polling has shown crime is the top concern for city residents, Fulop said. And residents feel that crime is getting worse despite statistics showing a decrease in crime in recent years.
"There's a huge difference between safety in some neighborhoods and safety in other neighborhoods," Fulop said.

Fulop is challenging Mayor Jerramiah Healy in the May 14 city race. Former high school and college basketball star Jerry Walker has also announced he plans to run for the city's top job.

The Fulop campaign's seven-page anti-crime platform includes increased street patrols; the creation of a force comprising officers who will have police powers but will be either retired cops or trainees in the police academy; and a change in the boundaries of the police districts.

The campaign said it also intends to require police leadership to live in Jersey City. State statute forbids a ban on police officers who live elsewhere, but Fulop said he can require it of police brass who have appointed positions.

Fulop praised the Police Department, saying it does "an effective job," adding that "you can always strive to be better."

Representatives of the Healy campaign didn't immediately return phone calls to comment

Posted on: 2013/2/7 1:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Fulop slate drops off more than 10K signatures

The manager of Jersey City mayoral hopeful Steve Fulop?s mayoral campaign today delivered petitions with more than 10,700 signatures to the City Clerk, hoping to become the first slate to have all its candidates certified in advance of May?s city election, Fulop?s campaign announced today.

Fulop, the Ward E City Councilman, is facing Mayor Jerramiah Healy and former high school and college basketball star Jerry Walker in the May 14 city race, which finds the mayoralty and all nine council seats up for grabs.

The Fulop campaign?s team of more than 500 volunteers has spent the last two weeks going door-to-door throughout the city seeking the necessary signatures, campaign manager John Thieroff said in a statement.

Mayoral and at-large council candidates in Jersey City have to submit signatures from more than 1,300 registered voters to the clerk to have their candidacies certified. Ward council candidates have to submit anywhere from 195 to 261 signatures, depending on the size of the ward.

Fulop is the only mayoral candidate to have announced a full slate of council hopefuls. Councilman at large Rolando Lavarro, Daniel Rivera and Joyce Waterman are running as at-large candidates. Fulop?s Ward A candidate is Frank Gajewski; Ward B, Khemraj ?Chico? Ramchal; Ward C, Councilwoman Nidia Lopez; Ward D, Assemblyman Sean Connors; Ward E, Candice Osborne; and Ward F, Councilwoman Diane Coleman.

?We have an incredible team that is focused on improving the lives of every resident in every neighborhood in Jersey City," Fulop said.

City Clerk Robert Byrne wasn?t available to comment regarding when his office would likely certify the petitions submitted today. Only Central Avenue store owner Michael Yin, a Ward D candidate, has had his candidacy certified.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... 13_fulo.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2013/2/5 22:46
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/3 6:32
Group:
Registered Users
Meanwhile while they try to dress Healy up for election time, he still looks sloppy and like a slob. I guess you can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig!

Posted on: 2013/2/5 16:24

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017