Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
108 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 108

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

BottomBottom  Previous Topic Previous Topic  Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 12 »

Re: Dan is still Dan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/26 20:07
Group:
Registered Users
Probably seems that way to you, JT since your guy was kinda MIA during the post Sandy period - other than posting stuff online. Like it or not, Candice, along with the other founders of JC Sandy Relief, were recognized by a lot of outside organizations for the outstanding work they did.

So, really - it's kind of tacky of you to take exception to the selfless work she and others did to help people in true need.

Posted on: 2013/2/27 3:11

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/14 1:51
Group:
Registered Users
www.candiceosborne.com is an attractive website, but its tacky of her campaign to use volunteer hurricane relief efforts downtown as a photo op for a political campaign.

Posted on: 2013/2/27 2:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/1 17:12
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JTaylor wrote:
Dan Levin will continue to be an independent voice for good government when elected Ward E councilman, no matter who becomes Mayor. Does Ms Osborne have any original opinions or policies that were not scripted by Steve Fulop, Tom Bertolli or her other professional handlers? Can she really claim to be an independent voice on the council?

If Fulop is elected mayor and Candice wins Ward E, we know she will have a major voice in setting policy and the ability to protect the interests of Ward E.

It seems to me, no matter which candidate wins the mayor's race, Dan would be isolated and ineffective.

Posted on: 2013/2/19 20:24

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Dan Levin will continue to be an independent voice for good government when elected Ward E councilman, no matter who becomes Mayor. Does Ms Osborne have any original opinions or policies that were not scripted by Steve Fulop, Tom Bertolli or her other professional handlers? Can she really claim to be an independent voice on the council?

Posted on: 2013/2/19 20:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/3 6:32
Group:
Registered Users
Now that Dan is with Team Healy and seems to agree with every move they make, wouldn't one say he is now bought and paid for by Healy! If Healy was to win, Dan would isolated on the council with the Healy rubber stamps.

Posted on: 2013/2/18 22:14

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
PlainSlice wrote:
Hey, Dan... Tell us how you feel about standing with Healy while he dissed you and most of the people you need to vote for you. Were you cheering with the rest of the crowd?

Was Healy speaking for you? We're all waiting to hear your stand against your new Boss...

It's now more than two days since Dan Levin stood with Jerramiah Healy while he bashed all the "newcomers" and "interlopers" who "don't know Jersey City" and "don't care about Jersey City."

When asked directly if he agreed with the Mayor on that, what do we hear from crusading Dan, defender of downtown?

:crickets:

You better think of something good to say, Dan. Sooner or later you'll have to start ignoring people in person. Oh wait, that's already in your wheelhouse.

Posted on: 2013/2/18 21:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/16 20:23
From not downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JTaylor wrote:
Ms Osborne is a nice woman...

I like Dan, but I prefer Candice.

(See NiceTroll? I am trying).

Candice is quite a bit more than just a "nice woman." If you look below the surface, you will find a person of tremendous accomplishment, ability and motivation.

I have no doubt Candice will make an outstanding councilperson.

Let's go JC.

-M

Posted on: 2013/2/18 15:01
I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.
W. C. Fields

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/20 14:19
Group:
Registered Users
I seconded that. Look he was great 2 years ago..hell i
voted for him last time. But what he has shown me in leadership is 1) he likes kool aid 2) likes any dog that will hunt with him and 3) sell out hypocrite

Posted on: 2013/2/18 4:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/8 0:52
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Oh yea, and what experience is that?

Posted on: 2013/2/18 3:09

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Ms Osborne is a nice woman, but Levin is the only Ward E candidate running who has the experience to be an effective city council member no matter who is elected Mayor.

Posted on: 2013/2/18 1:14

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Hey, Dan...

Tell us how you feel about standing with Healy while he dissed you and most of the people you need to vote for you. Were you cheering with the rest of the crowd?

Mayor Jerramiah Healy, during his closing remarks to his supporters: "Get out to vote so that, as Jeff Dublin said, Jersey City can remain for Jersey City, not some newcomers, some interlopers who don't know the city, don't care about the city, and want to use the city for their own personal ambitions."

Jersey Journal: Mayor Healy and running mates launch campaign

Was Healy speaking for you? We're all waiting to hear your stand against your new Boss...

Posted on: 2013/2/17 21:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

H-Parker wrote:
[quote]
The primary responsibilities of a member of the council are to make sure the needs of the communities they represent are met, and to advise the mayor.

The Business Administrator is the 2nd highest power on the Administrative side of our Government and technically the B.A. advises the Mayor not the City Council.

Jersey City is under the Faulkner Act has two forms of Government, the Administration and the City Council.

The City Council is the legislative branch of City government, generally referred to as "the governing body" in NJ statutes. In Jersey City, the City Council consists of 6 ward councilpersons and 3 at-large (elected Citywide) councilpersons. One of the councilmembers is elected by his/her peers to serve as the Council President. The Council serves a four year term contemporary to the Mayor's. The full powers of the City Council are described in Chapter 3 (Administration of Government), Article II (Council) of the Jersey City Municipal Code.

[*The Faulkner Act, or Optional Municipal Charter Law, provides for New Jersey municipalities to adopt a Mayor-Council government.
This form of government provides for election of a mayor and five, seven, or nine council members. All council members may be elected at large, or some may be elected by wards; they may be partisan or nonpartisan, and serve four-year concurrent or staggered terms. There may be up to ten administrative departments.

As in all Faulkner Act municipalities, citizens in the Mayor-Council system enjoy the right of initiative and referendum, meaning that proposed ordinances can be introduced directly by the people without action by the local governing body. This right is exercised by preparing a conforming petition signed by 10% of the registered voters who turned out in the last general election in an odd-numbered year. Once the petition is submitted, the local governing body can vote to pass the requested ordinance, and if it refuses, it is then submitted directly to the voters.

Posted on: 2013/2/9 21:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/26 20:07
Group:
Registered Users
One advantage Dan is enjoying is access to funding sources he wouldn't previously have had. Examples include $7,800 from Bayonne Mayor and HCDO chairman Mark Smith as well as $7,800 from Assemblyman Jason O'Donnell.

Posted on: 2013/2/9 13:41

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneOBall wrote:
Dan has skipped the Healy bull sessions. Your problem with this is ...

The problem is not mine, it's Dan's. The "Where's Dan?" picture is illustrative.

1) If Levin "skipped the Healy bull session," it indicates he's not really working hard. If he was, he'd be using his endorsement to get the support he needs from his new team (Healy) in order to win his seat. You know, the major rationale for his walk in the park with Jerry.

2) If they didn't bother to invite him, it indicates either that they don't trust him, or don't respect him. Probably both. And consequently they are using him to get what they want without giving him squat.

Neither alternative bodes well for Dan's ability to function as a Councilman.

BTW, I'd love to hear from DanL exactly what advantages he's getting as a valued member of the Healy Team. How are they helping him win his election and prepare to be Councilman of Ward E? I'll wager he hasn't got much more from them than the vain hope of getting a few HCDeadO voters.

Posted on: 2013/2/9 5:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
What Hpark says is true. But it's also true that just as Mayors hold most of the power (though not all), Mayoral candidates set the tenor of the campaign and set constraints on how candidates for council go about running for office. A council candidate can either run independent or seek to be picked up by a ticket of one of the mayoral campaigns. They can decide which to do, but it's not like Dan could have picked whichever candidate he wanted to run with.

So he has a decision. Make his run subject to the pleasure of Steve, run independent with no money, or run on another ticket with a candidate that will open him up to criticism, some of which is legitimate.

Dan has chosen the last option with both the benefits and the drawbacks. But again, just as it says something about the council candidates as to who they run with, it says something about mayoral candidates as to who they pick for the ticket. I will just say that I know some people supporting Fulop who are absolutely baffled at some of the picks. "I need this to get elected" only goes so far, particular if you are in the Ward who will be represented by one of the "political" picks.

Finally, to the extent one is concerned that Dan will be hamstrung if he is a mere councilman under Healy, there is an obvious solution. Don't vote for Healy. Nothing requires a straight ticket vote.

Posted on: 2013/2/9 1:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/1 17:12
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jetsfanwink wrote:
I'm having trouble understanding the thought process here. Fulop adds machine players like Connors and Lopez and Valentin to his ticket but gets a free pass because he needs to make some compromises to win (i.e. the ends justify the means). Dan Levin does the same exact thing and you won't vote for him ever again?

Seems like you understand the thought process fine. All the good intentions in the world amount to nothing if you can't get elected. Politics is a game of coalitions. It is perfectly reasonable to select running mates because they can help you get elected.

Let's remember what's at stake here. The primary responsibilities of a member of the council are to make sure the needs of the communities they represent are met, and to advise the mayor. Members of the mayor's ticket also are expected to endorse and protect the mayor's initiatives. Steve's choices are able to perform those responsibilities very well, regardless of past affiliations.

The real power lies in the mayoralty.

Dan is working to put that power in the hands of a man with a history of corruption and a lack of energy and new ideas. If he succeeds, Dan will have no power. Healy will lumber on. Things will continue as they are. Reform will be blocked.

Posted on: 2013/2/8 21:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jetsfanwink wrote:
I'm having trouble understanding the thought process here. Fulop adds machine players like Connors and Lopez and Valentin to his ticket but gets a free pass because he needs to make some compromises to win (i.e. the ends justify the means). Dan Levin does the same exact thing and you won't vote for him ever again?

Here are the facts.
Healy surrounds himself with crooks and the feds come down on his crew. he himself escapes being prosecuted.
Levin leads an unsuccessful campaign to get him impeached.
A few years later Levin is running on Healy's ticket.

Assuming you're not a fan of Healy to begin with you may either:
A) say that Dan is using them, ends justify the means, or
B) say that Dan went against everything he preached; by hooking up with them went against his "against the establishment" credibility.

Either of these interpretations are fair. I go with B.
I never said anything about Fulop in my post, but when half of the people on his ticket and deputy staff are brought up on bribery charges, feel free to come back for comparisons.

Posted on: 2013/2/8 21:17

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/5/9 5:04
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneOBall wrote:
Just want to make sure I understand the problem here. So after over a decade of on the ground community activism, Dan decided to put his name on the ballot in a prominent position. ...

The problem is that after decade of so-called activism he has virtually nothing to show for it (but hot air).

He has gotten almost nothing done. You may like Dan personally, but his record is spotless (in a bad way).

Posted on: 2013/2/8 20:39

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/23 13:29
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/2/8 20:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 17:27
Group:
Registered Users
He may get more overall votes in the long run, but one of them won't be mine. I have voted for Dan in the past but never will again.

Posted on: 2013/2/8 20:21

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/19 16:52
Group:
Registered Users
Just want to make sure I understand the problem here. So after over a decade of on the ground community activism, Dan decided to put his name on the ballot in a prominent position. Anyone with any knowledge of JC politics knows that is, unfortunately, how it works here. For all Dan has done, Fulop went with one of his campaign organizers for the Ward E council position.

Dan has skipped the Healy bull sessions. Your problem with this is ...

Posted on: 2013/2/8 19:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/2/8 9:45
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
On the "Dan is still Dan" front, could we get a report on your progress getting Hizzoner to back some reform ideas?

Why is it that they never invite you to the campaign strategy meetings? I see other candidates on Healy's ticket. But where's Dan?

Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/2/8 4:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/4 14:31
Group:
Registered Users
Candice was extremely effective and helpful in organizing Sandy recovery efforts at a time when someone needed to take charge and help affected homeowners.

Part of supporting a younger innovative candidate means that they have fresh ideas which Jersey City can certainly use instead of more of the same machine politics.

Posted on: 2013/2/7 20:54

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks Mr Rogers. Would you also know what role Tom Bertolli will have in the Fulop "reform" government?

Posted on: 2013/2/7 19:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/19 17:53
Group:
Registered Users
Her name is Candice OsBourne running on the Steve Fulop ticket.She has moved into the old Fulop Hdq on 2nd street.

Posted on: 2013/2/7 3:53

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/27 22:06
Group:
Registered Users
The young lady running, what is her name?

Posted on: 2013/2/6 21:25

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/16 21:05
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.nj.com/hudson/voices/index ... ood_for.html#incart_river

Levin will be good for Jersey City

I have known Dan Levin for over 20 years and I am supporting Dan for the Ward E City Council office.

Time and time again Dan has been there for us, supporting Jersey City's arts and entertainment programs, our parks and neighborhood associations, and above all, advocating for good government practices. Dan is a knowledgeable and experienced leader who understands the needs of our community.

I have lived in Jersey City for over 20 years. I was on the board of the VVP Neighborhood Association for two years. I have witnessed Jersey City politics firsthand. It is a cesspool. Dan has been fighting on the ground the entire time.

Dan Levin has run for office twice as an independent candidate. He has come close, but independent candidates will never win in a machine city. Do not mistake his desire to make a change with his acceptance of Jersey City politics. Dan will be good for Jersey City and that is why I want to see him in office.

OTIS BALL
JERSEY CITY

Posted on: 2013/1/31 17:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/16 20:23
From not downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Irrespective of their track records, it will be a huge difference if Healy is re-elected versus if Fulop wins.

Candice and Dan have been focusing on different things, and that is fair to compare. But in my judgment Dan won't be able to do a thing if Healy takes the vote.

This is certainly possible, given the Jersey City electorate's dismal record of choosing chief executives to run the city. But there is always hope.

And that hope is that Fulop can overcome the machine politics and the slimy campaign tactics of a a mayor who has virtually no record to run on. His record is one of surrounding himself with crooks, and he very well can't run on that.

I certainly can understand why Dan supporters have hope too. He has been a good guy in the past. And, you are right -- to get elected, you sometimes have to play hardball. But, the distinction between the choices couldn't be clearer and the outcome any more important.

Posted on: 2013/1/25 22:52
I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.
W. C. Fields

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/11 14:22
Group:
Registered Users
So it seems that Fulop and Levin, both of whom have advocated for and won victories for good government in their careers, are also willing to align themselves with certain camps when it is politically expedient. Levin with Healy and Fulop with Connors and Valentin.

Furthermore, wouldn't it makes sense for Fulop to seek political support from Stack or Sacco as well? Neither of those guys are exactly the model of good government practices, but when you are looking to win elections these are the things one must do.

When do we start comparing Levin and Osbourne and their respective track records working on issues of concern for Jersey City?

Posted on: 2013/1/25 21:51

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 12 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017