Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
122 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 122

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: The Filth that has become my beloved Heights
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/11/7 23:14
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
A friend who lived across the street from a park in Washington Heights would tell this story. The immigrant community there clearly LOVED their park, and filled it every weekend with ball games and BBQ's. And left it a shithole every time. They had no sense of 'the commons", that this park was theirs.

Same thing happens with Coney Island, just about every day during the summer. As I grew up always going to the Jersey Shore, I was honestly shocked when I saw the trash all over the sand when I visited Coney for the first time.

Posted on: 2012/12/11 19:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

81905 wrote:
This is from the May 7, 2011 Jersey City Independent. I can't help but wonder where all this 257K will go.

"Jersey City is set to receive $297,748 in funding from the Clean Communities grant program, a state initiative that taxes wasteful manufacturers to help pay for litter clean up and to beautify communities and roadsides. Jersey City received the second largest grant in the state out of $16 million in total grant money given.

You mean where it went, perhaps we can get an itemized list for it.

Posted on: 2012/12/11 19:29
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/10 19:14
Group:
Registered Users
This is from the May 7, 2011 Jersey City Independent. I can't help but wonder where all this 257K will go.

"Jersey City is set to receive $297,748 in funding from the Clean Communities grant program, a state initiative that taxes wasteful manufacturers to help pay for litter clean up and to beautify communities and roadsides. Jersey City received the second largest grant in the state out of $16 million in total grant money given.

?Cleaning up litter protects our natural resources, improves our quality of life and builds a strong sense of pride in our communities,? DEP Commissioner Bob Martin said in a statement. ?With these grants, our municipalities and counties will be able to carry out important programs that remove litter and graffiti from our neighborhoods and highways, making our communities better places to live and work.?

The grant money typically funds volunteer cleanups of public properties, adoption and enforcement of local anti-littering ordinances, beach cleanups, public information and education programs, purchases of equipment used to collect litter, purchases of litter receptacles and recycling bins, purchases of anti-litter signs, purchases of supplies to remove graffiti, and cleanups of stormwater systems that can disperse trash into streams, rivers and bays.

Jane Kozinski, Assistant Commissioner for Environmental Management, added, ?Schools, community groups, local governments and local businesses participate in the cleanups funded by these grants, boosting community spirit and civic pride.?

?This money offsets strained budgets by providing funding for volunteer cleanups, purchase of equipment related to cleanup and storm drain activities, enforcement of litter laws, and education in the schools. Clean Communities has a 20-year legacy in New Jersey as the only fully funded, statewide anti-litter program. We are grateful to Governor Chris Christie for his ongoing efforts to keep New Jersey?s communities clean,? said Clean Communities Council Executive Director Sandy Huber.

The grant money from the Clean Communities program comes from a legislated user-fee on manufacturers, wholesalers and distributors that produce litter-generating products. Disbursements to municipalities are based on the number of housing units and miles of municipally owned roadways within each municipality, according to the statement."

Posted on: 2012/12/11 19:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
A friend who lived across the street from a park in Washington Heights would tell this story. The immigrant community there clearly LOVED their park, and filled it every weekend with ball games and BBQ's. And left it a shithole every time. They had no sense of 'the commons", that this park was theirs.

And yet Union City - heavily populated by immigrants, most with similar geographical roots as those in Washington Heights - has streets and sidewalks you could perform surgery on. Why? Because the mayor of Union City makes that a priority.

Posted on: 2012/12/11 18:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
I've lived downtown for a long time, 30+ years and I think it is noticeably cleaner. In part, the switch from glass bottles to plastic has made the sidewalks safer. I'm not sure how much of the crap we see now is from littering or from poor property upkeep. Certain places are almost always dirty - the southern corners of 2nd and Jersey and the square block containing the Filipino veterans memorial come to mind immediately. The original poster could probably name some places in the Heights like this as well. Why can't the Neighborhood Associations compile a list of these trouble spots and have the city verify and issue summons if appropriate. At one time the city was also going thru litter baskets and opening bags that appeared to contain household garbage. If they found identification - maybe mail, I don't know - a citation was issued.

I would also be interesting seeing what would happen if a cop rode behind a garbage truck once in a while and cited the owners of buildings where trash was not correctly set out (assuming the city has a set of standards).

Posted on: 2012/12/11 13:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users

We all have littered now and then....but several years ago i realized how stupid it is to do so. I can't tell you how many times, I have gone out of my way to find a trash can or carried an empty cup or bottle instead of just tossing it.

It's sad that people expect "city hall" to line every block with trash cans. Lets say they actually do this....you are still going to have lots of idiots who aren't going to use them.

Posted on: 2012/12/11 1:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Sadly, I gotta agree with V. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people toss their crap out the car window. Who teaches people that's OK? Some of this is clearly not just class, but the culture people come from. I'm positive the homes of many of the people who toss crap on the streets are spotless, it's just that they have no sense of public pride, it's simply an alien concept.

That said, realistically expecting pedestrians to carry garbage half a mile to a can is perhaps too much, and more cans is always a good idea.

Posted on: 2012/12/11 0:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
I put a can out in front of my place in the hopes people would stop throwing stuff into my bushes. Even with the trash can there, I would still find malt liquor bottles, Corona bottles, and cans of Red Bull in the bushes.

Later, somebody stole the trash can.

Welcome to Jersey City..

Posted on: 2012/12/10 23:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Jcpaddy wrote:
This query is in reference to the removal of the traditional garbage cans from nearly every corner of Jersey City Heights.

Their replacement by the solar cans has been an absolute failure of epic proportions. The majority of people are indifferent towards them, and dare I say, some people are even afraid of them. They have not and never will work.

City garbage cans are about QUANTITY. Not quality. Placing one solar can every 3 or 4 blocks to replace 6 to 8 traditional cans is foolish. People walking from one corner to the next need a place to put their garbage. No one is walking back to a solar can to dispose of their garbage. It is just being dumped on the street.

As a 25 years resident of the Heights I have never seen this city, especially the Heights, so filthy. Walk down Palisades Ave., New York Ave., Webster Ave., and Ferry St. and you will be appalled. The streets are enveloped with liter and the cause of all this began with the removal of the traditional cans. People are just dumping there garbage on the street because there is no where to put it.

Question: Who?s idea was it to remove them in the first place?
At what point does the JCIA see that the experiment with solar cans is not working? All you have to do is walk the streets to see evidence. The fact that the solar cans hold more is irrelevant if there are not enough of them. Who makes this determination and who do I lobby to bring back the traditional cans?

In contrast, all you have to do is drive another mile down the road to Union City and see the difference. Mayor Stack and his administration have garbage cans on EVERY corner of Union City and in most cases on BOTH sides of the street. The street in Union City are so clean, you could eat off them. There is not a day I drive through that city that some kind of street cleaning is not being entertained.
As per my conversation with Mayor Stack, he stated that he hires part-time workers to clean his city. Why is this option not being looked at for Jersey City?
Our streets are a disgrace.

I have never seen quality of life issues so ignored in my 25 years of living in the Heights. Does the mayor ever look at the streets and see the filth that they?ve become?
I am a taxpayer who now rises every Saturday morning and cleans a 4 block radius around his house (filling 2 big black garbage bags and painting over graffiti), because I?m sick of looking at it and nothing being done. As a father with 2 daughters, I do not need my family to wade through this filth every day.
I am a big proponent of the city and proud homeowner who sends his kids to local city schools.
Is it asking too much to clean this place up a little?

It may surprise you to know that residents in cases have requested the removal of the corner garbage cans. There were several reasons the main two being they were not being used by those who were obviously brought up slobs & those who were using the trash can for household garbage thus creating an extreme trash condition around the trash can which then attracted rodents & roaches.

Posted on: 2012/12/10 23:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/10 19:14
Group:
Registered Users
Has Jerry and his admin done anything substantial over the last 8 years to address the littering issue that plagues Jersey City? Other than him expressing his concern for the overuse of plastic bags a couple years ago he has been very ineffective on this. In fact, ShopRite, to this day, will double bag a 12oz water if you're not watching.

Posted on: 2012/12/10 23:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
The whole city is a dump, I take the path over at EP each morning and the amount of trash and cigarette butts are shameful. Why don't the city hire criminals and homeless peeps like they do NYC and clean it up?

Posted on: 2012/12/10 22:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
People litter for the same reason I don't. It's the way they were raised. Sorry, some of us cannot understand why a person would throw their litter on the ground. We cannot relate to it and we CANNOT excuse it.

Posted on: 2012/12/10 22:36

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/4/25 1:25
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Good points but litter doesn't drop itself on the ground. If people are too lazy to carry an empty coffee cup/soda bottle a couple extra blocks then it says more about them than it does about anything else.

Very nuanced response. Thanks for the contribution.

If the fact stands that fewer garbage cans results in more litter and garbage in our streets, can we just agree that it was a bad idea to remove them? What are you going to do about the human nature of fellow residents, legislate it?

Posted on: 2012/12/10 22:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Good points but litter doesn't drop itself on the ground. If people are too lazy to carry an empty coffee cup/soda bottle a couple extra blocks then it says more about them than it does about anything else.

Posted on: 2012/12/10 21:19

The Filth that has become my beloved Heights
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/1 15:38
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
This query is in reference to the removal of the traditional garbage cans from nearly every corner of Jersey City Heights.

Their replacement by the solar cans has been an absolute failure of epic proportions. The majority of people are indifferent towards them, and dare I say, some people are even afraid of them. They have not and never will work.

City garbage cans are about QUANTITY. Not quality. Placing one solar can every 3 or 4 blocks to replace 6 to 8 traditional cans is foolish. People walking from one corner to the next need a place to put their garbage. No one is walking back to a solar can to dispose of their garbage. It is just being dumped on the street.

As a 25 years resident of the Heights I have never seen this city, especially the Heights, so filthy. Walk down Palisades Ave., New York Ave., Webster Ave., and Ferry St. and you will be appalled. The streets are enveloped with liter and the cause of all this began with the removal of the traditional cans. People are just dumping there garbage on the street because there is no where to put it.

Question: Who?s idea was it to remove them in the first place?
At what point does the JCIA see that the experiment with solar cans is not working? All you have to do is walk the streets to see evidence. The fact that the solar cans hold more is irrelevant if there are not enough of them. Who makes this determination and who do I lobby to bring back the traditional cans?

In contrast, all you have to do is drive another mile down the road to Union City and see the difference. Mayor Stack and his administration have garbage cans on EVERY corner of Union City and in most cases on BOTH sides of the street. The street in Union City are so clean, you could eat off them. There is not a day I drive through that city that some kind of street cleaning is not being entertained.
As per my conversation with Mayor Stack, he stated that he hires part-time workers to clean his city. Why is this option not being looked at for Jersey City?
Our streets are a disgrace.

I have never seen quality of life issues so ignored in my 25 years of living in the Heights. Does the mayor ever look at the streets and see the filth that they?ve become?
I am a taxpayer who now rises every Saturday morning and cleans a 4 block radius around his house (filling 2 big black garbage bags and painting over graffiti), because I?m sick of looking at it and nothing being done. As a father with 2 daughters, I do not need my family to wade through this filth every day.
I am a big proponent of the city and proud homeowner who sends his kids to local city schools.
Is it asking too much to clean this place up a little?

Posted on: 2012/12/10 21:11

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017