Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
130 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 130

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 14 »

Re: Snor'Eastercane
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Nearly 163,000 still without power in Hudson County, PSE&G says

By Harvey Zucker/The Jersey Journal
October 31, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Nearly 163,000 customers in Hudson County were still without power as of yesterday afternoon, according to a spokeswoman for Public Service Electric and Gas Co.

While she couldn't provide exact figures for each community, the company's website said Bayonne, Hoboken, Jersey City, North Bergen, Union City, West New York and the West Hudson area each had more than 10,000 customers without power.

Secaucus and Weehawken had from 2,000 to 5,000 customers each without power.

"We are working around the clock to assess and repair the damage as quickly and as safely as possible,'' she said.

Hudson County experienced some serious substation damage and the company must determine whether equipment can be repaired or needs to be replaced, she said.

"It may be a long process,'' she said, without giving a timetable.

PSE&G officials had previously said it may be until Monday before all power is restored in Hudson.

Statewide, 900,000 customers are without power, the spokeswoman said.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... hout_po.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2012/10/31 20:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Still no power here in GV but Thank gd no flooding at all. The best ways to get into NYC from GV is to use the buses or vans along Kennedy Blvd to port authority or ferry/water taxi @ Port Liberty. The most damage were seeing so far is the trees that came down in the parks. I was downtown earlier today wow what a mess.
Stay safe Listers!

Posted on: 2012/10/31 19:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
well i was out and about downtown earlier and here's what i got for you all.

van vorst park on jersey ave has a couple of trees/power poles down. part of that sidewalk is closed.

the shelter that was ps#3 is closed becaues they don't have power, they got shipped to ps#7 on laidlaw ave and maybe the armory. the guy who works for the school wasn't sure about that last part. JC medical center still doesn't (didn't) have power (as of a couple hours ago). They're running emergency services by generator, but like... elevators weren't functioning still.

as of an hour or two ago, pretty much everywhere south of Newark Ave is without power still. pretty much everywhere east of Marin blvd same. my dad called me 20 minutes ago and mentioned that newark ave had power now, but he just said he spoke to someone, so 3rd hand info there.

paulus hook area and nearby is FUBAR'd. I walked down Grand st towards the river and every single basement got flooded. Everyone had loads of waterlogged furniture, trash, books, etc on the curb.

speaking of which, trash pickup is suspended, but much like the traffic ban, i don't think anyone's gonna get a ticket. there were tons of people driving, including police and no one was having any issues, despite there not being any traffic lights. hell, marin and newark, there was a traffic cop directing everyone, so there's that.

some house on bright and varick had SEVEN FEET of water and were still pumping out. little academy on grand and marin got flooded. parts of st. peters prep. Club H fitness on newark...

I saw one working traffic light down in that area, and it was on grand and washington. Kind of amused by that.

i think some glass fell off one of the high rises, as there was very thick pebbles of glass on grand off of hudson.

The ferries are running, they're charging people (classy). I don't know when they end at, but the first boat tomorrow is supposed to be at 6am.

The following stores were closed when I walked by them:
the Post office, grand sichuan, duane reade, dunkin donuts, mcdonalds.

The following places were open when I passed by:
iron monkey, starbucks, little sandwich shop, la conga, the two laundromats on manila, park and 6th said they'd be open at 3PM.

Posted on: 2012/10/31 19:36

Power back in journal square?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/7 2:57
Group:
Registered Users
Please give me some good news

Posted on: 2012/10/31 19:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
I have heard some info on Society Hill. The first floor units were told to evacuate before the storm. Some stayed but had agreements with upstairs neighbors to take them in if it got bad.

The tide from Newark Bay got to within 5 inches of the rear doors of the first floor units of SH I at the top of the high tide. It then receded quickly as high tide ended. (10:30 pm) For SH II and Doyers Point it was also close but did not get into any units.

Some cars did get water damage. The water in front of the units rose maybe 6 inches in the street to the curbs because the sewer drains that drain into Newark Bay could not. People moved their cars on to the higher front lawns and sidewalks to save them.

SH is about 10 ? 13 feet above sea level. The Newark Bay walkway was completely covered with maybe 5 feet of water. The NJCU athletic field was covered with around 4 - 5 feet of water. They had two tractor trailers full of equipment that went floating toward Newark Bay. They got stopped by the one foot of the 6 foot fence around the field that was not under water.
Power was lost at 3:00 pm Monday. A lot of trees are down, sadly some pretty nice mature evergreens. The buildings have some wind damage sliding blown off, etc. One 6 X 8 section of roof did blow off exposing the attic. A VW mini van some how caught fire and blew up in SH II. About 6 trees among the entrance to Doyers point are down cracked in half. Looks like some sort of gas spill at Westside and Danforth maybe the gas tanks of the near by gas station leaked??

A pole is down at the Getty station by National Warehouse draped over some parked trucks. There are 3 large poles down on Kellog Street next to Pathmark. It looks like they have the generators going in Pathmark don?t know if open yet.

Also heard that the houses that usually flood in Country Village have basements full of water.

Walking along Westside Ave toward JSq a lot of signs and awnings down.

Lincoln Park a lot of trees down.

Posted on: 2012/10/31 18:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
There is also an Exxon station on the East bound side of Rt. 3 in Secaucus open. A Getty station at the Rt. 3 / 1&9 interchange was also opened.

Or at least they were when I grabbed some gas this morning.

Posted on: 2012/10/31 18:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Gas is very hard to find. NJPD said there is only one station operating in the city (Communipauw & JFK).

Good luck.

The HESS station at the inbound side of the Holland Tunnel is pumping gasoline this morning. There is a line but definitely worth the wait.

Posted on: 2012/10/31 18:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/3/15 20:01
From Downtown - H.P. area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mdips wrote:
We've finally gotten all the water out of our garden apt in liberty harbor and the power is back on. I've been lucky in JC up until now so I've never had to deal with post flood clean up. I could handle drying on my own with air movers and dehumidifiers but I'm worried about bacteria since it was likely a mix of sewer backup and flood water.

Has anyone bothered with bringing in someone to handle it with an antimicrobial cleaning, or does everyone just give the whole house a good bleaching and dry it out? Guess I'm gonna need to get used to the procedure in this new place.

You can fill a garden sprayer with a product called Odoban which they have at Home Depot/Lowes. It's a wide-spectrum anti-microbial and will kill everything. Or use a bleach solution - although bleach can be more of a problem in terms of pets, kids and damage to fabrics, etc.

Posted on: 2012/10/31 16:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Power back at Jersey & 10th.

People who want to volunteer can help out at Red Cross shelters. Communications are still difficult so for now it may be best to just show up and speak to the shelter manager. At the moment there is a shelter at PS 7 on Laidlaw just off of Summit north of 139. It may be relocated to the Armory as the Board of Ed wants to reopen the school.

Be very careful if you drive. It is pretty chaotic out there, You might think it would be natural to treat an intersection with a non-functional traffic light as if it were a four way stop sign. You would probably be right almost anywhere else. But not in Jersey City. Apparently driving is prohibited, but you'd never know since traffic is pretty heavy.

Gas is very hard to find. NJPD said there is only one station operating in the city (Communipauw & JFK).

Good luck.

Posted on: 2012/10/31 16:28
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/16 12:23
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mdips wrote:
We've finally gotten all the water out of our garden apt in liberty harbor and the power is back on.

Is power back on at Liberty Harbor? It wasn't an hour ago...
We're in a brownstone.

We left for our inlaws place at Crystal Point. they have power, but the elevators are out.

Posted on: 2012/10/31 16:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Has anyone here noticed a drop in water pressure in the Heights? It's been lower than normal since the power outages started, but seems to have dropped more in the past few hours.

Posted on: 2012/10/31 16:03

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/14 15:59
From 07304
Group:
Registered Users
It seems hit or miss in downtown as to who has power and who doesn't. I'm charging my phone at a friend's on Erie. You can also go to Target. I've been riding my bike all over. Nowhere between Lafayette and the post office downtown seems to have power. Grand street is lined with people's flooded belongings and debris. Buildings by the path at Newport are cleaning up but don't have power. Shoprite is open but was running on generators. HPNA is still doing the farmers market with some Halloween stuff for the kids later this afternoon. Be careful out there with no traffic lights. People don't always stop like they should.

Posted on: 2012/10/31 15:59

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/18 23:28
Group:
Registered Users
We've finally gotten all the water out of our garden apt in liberty harbor and the power is back on. I've been lucky in JC up until now so I've never had to deal with post flood clean up. I could handle drying on my own with air movers and dehumidifiers but I'm worried about bacteria since it was likely a mix of sewer backup and flood water.

Has anyone bothered with bringing in someone to handle it with an antimicrobial cleaning, or does everyone just give the whole house a good bleaching and dry it out? Guess I'm gonna need to get used to the procedure in this new place.

Posted on: 2012/10/31 15:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/16 11:48
Group:
Registered Users
I've been seeing/hearing cars all morning outside my window. Maybe fewer than usual, but it appears many are unaware of or ignoring the ban.

Posted on: 2012/10/31 15:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
No cop is handing out tickets or stopping motorists. My friend and I just spent an hour and a half trying to get to Hoboken to pick up his car from the garage but the cops are not letting anyone in.

Posted on: 2012/10/31 15:02

Is there power in the Newport area?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/7 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Hi All,

Does anyone know if there is power in the newport area?

I live in the TJ building on washington street and am currently not able to get back to my apt to check on it. I have no way of knowing if my building as power or not.

Anyone have a phone # directly to the building? I called the management company and the line seems to be down.

Thanks for your help in advance. :D

Posted on: 2012/10/31 14:53

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/2 3:08
From Jersey Ave
Group:
Registered Users
What's the real scoop on the driving ban? I'm looking out my window (8th & Erie) & car after car is going down Erie. I need to tske a cab to work ... are motorists really getting fined? Thanks.

Posted on: 2012/10/31 14:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Most of the Hamilton Park area has power back. A few blocks don't apparently.

5th between erie and jersey does. I had 11" of river/ocean water in my basement - hope everyone made it through ok

Posted on: 2012/10/31 14:44

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/18 11:36
Group:
Registered Users
I'm right on the corner of 10 & Jersey, across from the Hamilton Inn, so even with the driving ban I figured I'd be able to sneak into town as long as the pulaski and 139 are clear, but it's not worth risking unless I definitely have power.

Posted on: 2012/10/31 14:40

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/30 23:29
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

umestazzuele wrote:
Does anyone know what the driving situation is like around 10th & Jersey? Been camping out at a friend's house in PA since Saturday, but I was hoping to head back today since it sounds like I might have power back in my place...

according to my cousin who drove out there this morning the streets are a mess and many roads are closed. though he was able to take the pulaski to get into town. there is a driving ban currently in JC though. Im planning to wait until tomorrow.

Posted on: 2012/10/31 14:07

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/18 11:36
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone know what the driving situation is like around 10th & Jersey? Been camping out at a friend's house in PA since Saturday, but I was hoping to head back today since it sounds like I might have power back in my place...

Posted on: 2012/10/31 13:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
I think you need to call PSE&G to ask about that. Hopefully the lines won't be jammed.

Are there any volunteer efforts around town or in Hoboken? I'd like to help out during my free time if possible.

I hear if the lines are jammed you can tweet them and they will get back to you as well.

Posted on: 2012/10/31 13:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
I think you need to call PSE&G to ask about that. Hopefully the lines won't be jammed.

Are there any volunteer efforts around town or in Hoboken? I'd like to help out during my free time if possible.

Posted on: 2012/10/31 13:35

Re: Snor'Eastercane & electrical meters

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/4 16:54
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone know the orocedure for dealing with flooded electrical panels & meters? I mean, the power is still out but will PSE&G even turn it back on when so many people had their meters underwater? And if they do turn it back on, is it safe (sounds iffy to me unless enough time goes by for things to dry out).

And who's responsibility are the meters, them or me?

I'm sure downtown folks are in the same boat as me. What are people thinking about this? (First time posting, should this be a new topic?)

Thanks

Jim

Posted on: 2012/10/31 13:12

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/7 22:41
Group:
Registered Users
I was in the line at Exchange at 7am....ferry to midtown did not leave until 7:25. Line was somewhat long, but everyone got on. Line was also somewhat long at Newport, but again everyone got on. Those things with standing room fit a lot of people.

I imagine as the week goes on, the lines will get longer as more and more ppl return to work. Also I found it interesting that if you did not have a ticket they let you on and said they would collect on board. Never ended up collecting. I am sure they are still working out the kinks....

Posted on: 2012/10/31 12:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
any know if regular trash pickup resumes today?

Posted on: 2012/10/31 12:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
1&9 is fine except some lights are not working. I was able to get gas for my generator yesterday morning.

Posted on: 2012/10/31 12:48

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I am curious to know if anyone has driven back to JC and how the roads are getting to town. 1 & 9? Tonnelle ave? 78?

Posted on: 2012/10/31 12:16

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/15 11:24
Group:
Registered Users
Can anyone report on how long the line for the ferry is at Newport or exchange place?

Posted on: 2012/10/31 11:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Power is still out here in heights... the block over has power and certain parts have power. Areas of central ave have power as well.

Its strange how you can go from pitch dark to light one block over

Posted on: 2012/10/31 11:17

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 14 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017