Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
103 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 103

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: How safe is Monmouth Street
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bill wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
More anecdotes that prove nothing about relative safety. Do you think ANY downtown street has had no car break-ins, no UPS packages stolen, no assaults, etc?

Of course they happen everywhere else but not in the rate it occurs in that section of the city.

Based on what data?

Posted on: 2012/10/5 23:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
More anecdotes that prove nothing about relative safety. Do you think ANY downtown street has had no car break-ins, no UPS packages stolen, no assaults, etc?

Of course they happen everywhere else but not in the rate it occurs in that section of the city.

Quote:

If the facts don't suit you, try changing the timeframe again. You might get lucky and find a few days that supports your assertion.

Ugh, I forgot you can't read. I said, "crimes disappear as I increase the time frame." What does your response have anything to do with what I said? If I am searching for crimes from 2005-2012, you would think a crime that showed up from 2011-2012 would also appear. Jesus

Also it has way too many ads, only has data from 3/08 and the front page maps completely differently from the more detailed maps.

Posted on: 2012/10/5 22:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bill wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

If anything is ridiculous, it's selecting a few antecdotal links posted on JCList, then inferring somehow Monmouth is one of the most "unsafe" streets downtown.

Can you read? I said that was only for 2012. For your pleasure I have listed several more events from the 2nd half of 2011!

"My Honda Civic (2000) was stolen on Monday night. It was parked on 5th Street between Coles and Monmouth."

"I am on 7th between Coles and Monmouth. I had the content of an UPS package stolen last winter."

"A Brooklyn man told police yesterday that while attending a Halloween party in Jersey City Sunday he was knocked out twice by men attending another party on the same floor of the Monmouth Street building"

"Cops think he's the same Guy who burglarized a bunch of cars on Monmouth."

"Victor Navarro, 32, of Baldwin Avenue, was arrested in the Brunswick Estates housing complex on Monmouth Street at about 1:20 a.m. yesterday"

"To the owner of 418 Monmouth St Your first floor tenant has 2 dogs that bark out the windows ALL DAY."

"STOLEN FROM MY FRIEND 9/6/2011 FROM MERCER ST. BETWEEN VARICK AND MONMOUTH"

"What Blockwatcher said is the straight up truth. He and his brother loiter on Monmouth between Newark and Fourth St and sell drugs, fight, get drunk, loud and obnoxious and cause a lot of problems for the residents who live there."

"Ok, now I've been hit! Someone pulled a plant out of my planter on Monmouth St.!!!"

hehe

Quote:

You want something more recent? Look at spotcrime for 07302.

That website sucks, crimes disappear as I increase the time frame.

If the facts don't suit you, try changing the timeframe again. You might get lucky and find a few days that supports your assertion.

Posted on: 2012/10/5 21:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bill posted some bullshit about crime:

"Ok, now I've been hit! Someone pulled a plant out of my planter on Monmouth St.!!!"

Yeah, a stolen plant out of a planter. Stay clear of that crazy shit on Monmouth.

Posted on: 2012/10/5 21:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/7 17:35
Group:
Banned
WOW, EVEN THE WEALTHIEST STREET IN MANHATTAN HAS CRIME!!! Monmouth is as safe as any other street...

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) ? Police are looking for a pair of suspects who they said robbed a Madison Avenue jewelry store in the middle of the day last Friday.

It happened just after 3 p.m. at Madison Jewelers.

One of the suspects was seen on surveillance video looking at jewelry items. He then pulled out a handgun and demanded Rolex watches from the employees, police said.

That?s when a second suspect entered the store with a duffel bag, took out pepper spray and sprayed the employees, police said.

Both suspects then ran off with about $36,000 worth of merchandise, according to police.

Posted on: 2012/10/5 19:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:

If anything is ridiculous, it's selecting a few antecdotal links posted on JCList, then inferring somehow Monmouth is one of the most "unsafe" streets downtown.

Can you read? I said that was only for 2012. For your pleasure I have listed several more events from the 2nd half of 2011!

"My Honda Civic (2000) was stolen on Monday night. It was parked on 5th Street between Coles and Monmouth."

"I am on 7th between Coles and Monmouth. I had the content of an UPS package stolen last winter."

"A Brooklyn man told police yesterday that while attending a Halloween party in Jersey City Sunday he was knocked out twice by men attending another party on the same floor of the Monmouth Street building"

"Cops think he's the same Guy who burglarized a bunch of cars on Monmouth."

"Victor Navarro, 32, of Baldwin Avenue, was arrested in the Brunswick Estates housing complex on Monmouth Street at about 1:20 a.m. yesterday"

"To the owner of 418 Monmouth St Your first floor tenant has 2 dogs that bark out the windows ALL DAY."

"STOLEN FROM MY FRIEND 9/6/2011 FROM MERCER ST. BETWEEN VARICK AND MONMOUTH"

"What Blockwatcher said is the straight up truth. He and his brother loiter on Monmouth between Newark and Fourth St and sell drugs, fight, get drunk, loud and obnoxious and cause a lot of problems for the residents who live there."

hehe

Quote:

You want something more recent? Look at spotcrime for 07302.

That website sucks, crimes disappear as I increase the time frame.

Posted on: 2012/10/5 19:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Life as a hydrant must be extremely hard. Cars run into you, animals pee on you, bums sleep on or near you, drunks throw up on you, etc etc.

Posted on: 2012/10/5 19:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bill wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Then have a look at the stats and detail from when the last time crime was mapped in JC 2006-2007. Select Jersey City, then Exchange Place, which I guess is near your hood at 77 Hudson. There are certainly more crimes listed - robberies, assaults, larceny and a rape - than you linked for Monmouth.

http://www.nj.com/news/bythenumbers/

You are ridiculous man, you are comparing a NJ Database on Crime's list of Exchange Place crime incidents to only the links I organized? How is that apples to apples? Maybe you should compare exchange place to ferris or whatever landmark is in that area since it won't work by address. Or take a look at http://www.starledger.com/str/indexpage/crime/JC_Crime_Overall.jpg
that shows Monmouth runs through the epicenter of crime downtown.

If anything is ridiculous, it's selecting a few antecdotal links posted on JCList, then inferring somehow Monmouth is one of the most "unsafe" streets downtown. Then also inferring some cause/effect relationship between crime and rental values on the street with zero evidence. Of course I didn't compare "apples-to-apples", because you didn't have any apples.

You want something more recent? Look at spotcrime for 07302. Then compare the number of crimes listed on Monmouth, versus the number on say Erie, Washington, First St and others.

http://www.spotcrime.info/#07302

Monmouth may not be safe if you are a bicycle, a fire hydrant or a late-night bar lizard. But there is no evidence that it's more unsafe than anywhere else downtown.

Posted on: 2012/10/5 18:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I agree with you heights. It is totally unreasonable to expect people to not break laws and steal other people's properties. Not only unreasonable but "ignorant" is the term you use.

Let me just play devil's advocate for a minute and suggest, and I know this might be foreign to you, that the problem with stolen bikes is not an owner problem but a crime problem being committed by criminals who deserve, if it were up to me, to be shot on site for stealing other people's property. Wait wait wait, nevermind. I just came to my senses and am realizing again that is an owner problem, stupid owners - put them all in jail for obeying the law and buying instead of stealing bikes.

I have family members who live in very safe areas such as upper montclair who leave their doors unlocked all the time. If someone ever robbed them and someone came up to tell me that it was my family member's fault, I would punch them in the face (and yes, I would expect jail time because I broke the law - but one can argue that the person who got punched, "deserved it" and under this same line of reasoning, maybe that guy who got punched in the face deserved jail time). In any case, just pointing out the bizzaro world some of us live in...

Posted on: 2012/10/5 17:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:
heights wrote: I would not include stolen bikes because more than half if not all were stolen due to ignorant owners such as flimsy locks and attaching to weak areas that the bikes are secured to.

You're right heights. Those owners should be jailed for being so "ignorant." In fact, I would say that if you locked your bike with a flimsy lock and it got stolen, you deserve it. In fact, the "good samaritan" who stole the bike should be able to also get reimbursed for the lock they had to destroy in order to teach the owner a lesson. Stupid owners who paid for the bike legally, I hope they rot in jail!

You are missing the point, everyone is ready to cry a river when they are called on the carpet. Every time when I hear about a bike being stolen I always ask: "how & where" ? nine times out of ten it successfully occured because of biker irresponsibility. One guy even used a Kryptonite U-lock with the $1000 dollar insurance policy and didn't know he had it. I told him to send in the claim form. It happens to the best of them but at least if the right lock was used and used properly there is not much more you can do.

Posted on: 2012/10/5 16:52
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

That map is five years out of date, and seems to have been produced by convolving the crime stats with a half mile wide gaussian kernel. Much has changed downtown in the past five years. On top of that, crime in downtown Jersey City is much more of a block-by-block issue than that map would have you believe.

That map is from dtjcview's link. I was making it easier for him to see the difference in crime locations for that short time period HE chose to bring up.

Posted on: 2012/10/5 16:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/12/18 14:09
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bill wrote:
Or take a look at http://www.starledger.com/str/indexpage/crime/JC_Crime_Overall.jpg

That map is five years out of date, and seems to have been produced by convolving the crime stats with a half mile wide gaussian kernel. Much has changed downtown in the past five years. On top of that, crime in downtown Jersey City is much more of a block-by-block issue than that map would have you believe.

Posted on: 2012/10/5 16:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
heights wrote: I would not include stolen bikes because more than half if not all were stolen due to ignorant owners such as flimsy locks and attaching to weak areas that the bikes are secured to.

You're right heights. Those owners should be jailed for being so "ignorant." In fact, I would say that if you locked your bike with a flimsy lock and it got stolen, you deserve it. In fact, the "good samaritan" who stole the bike should be able to also get reimbursed for the lock they had to destroy in order to teach the owner a lesson. Stupid owners who paid for the bike legally, I hope they rot in jail!

Posted on: 2012/10/5 16:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Then have a look at the stats and detail from when the last time crime was mapped in JC 2006-2007. Select Jersey City, then Exchange Place, which I guess is near your hood at 77 Hudson. There are certainly more crimes listed - robberies, assaults, larceny and a rape - than you linked for Monmouth.

You are ridiculous man, you are comparing a NJ Database on Crime's list of Exchange Place crime incidents to only the links I organized? How is that apples to apples? Maybe you should compare exchange place to ferris or whatever landmark is in that area since it won't work by address. Or take a look at http://www.starledger.com/str/indexpage/crime/JC_Crime_Overall.jpg

Posted on: 2012/10/5 15:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/26 19:42
From Chilltown, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Surprised no one one on jclist ever posted this stabbing on Monmouth a few days ago.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... ed_in_groin_after_he.html

This article doesn't prove Monmouth as unsafe, although it was in 90's but those days are long gone. Most of that crowd moved to Greenville and the Heights in the late 90's early 2000's.

Posted on: 2012/10/5 15:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Bill,

The links you listed included:
- bikes stolen from all over downtown JC

I suspect you don't know much about JC west of Washington other that what you find on those scary JCList searches.

I would not include stolen bikes because more than half if not all were stolen due to ignorant owners such as flimsy locks and attaching to weak areas that the bikes are secured to.

Posted on: 2012/10/5 14:38
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
bill wrote: Quote:
dtjcview wrote: Bill, The links you listed included: - bikes stolen from all over downtown JC - a car burglary that occurred on Coles not Monmouth - a complaint about a local bar - a car hitting a fire hydrant - an elderly woman getting pushed over by teens - and the mugging that was reported second hand that may have happened near Monmouth.
Yes, all those happened where it was close enough to Monmouth that people mentioned that street. Those were only from 2012. It's funny how you trivialize every event, your subjectiveness/defensiveness is paramount... I don't make the facts, I just bring them back up when people try to gloss them over for their own self interest. Also I did a search on craigslist for downtown jersey city 1br <$900. Guess what! 1 listing, and what street is it on? qed
You're simply trash-talking a street that you seem to know little about other than what you have read on JCList. Trivializing? No more than you brushing aside the mention of the rape at Exchange Place, by saying it didn't happen in 2012. And you think rent prices indicate level of crime in a hood? qed? Might it not simply reflect distance from Path, Light Rail and Waterfront? Monmouth is as safe as pretty much any street downtown.

Posted on: 2012/10/5 14:30

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/24 16:43
Group:
Registered Users
I have lived at two different properties on Monmouth for the past 7 years. In my experience it is completely safe.

The PP who mentioned the noise of sirens from the ambulances as well as the traffice cutting through when the Holland gets backed up is spot on, it is probably the most annoying part of this street.

The bars (Abby's and Barge Inn) though attract an eclectic crowd has in my opinion, really calmed down over the past year or so.

It is a busy block, lots of foot traffic & cars and ya, sometimes people can be annoying but I wouldn't call it unsafe at all, at least not in the terms of muggings and what not, though please do not be decieved, that can happen anywhere.....In my experience the fact that there are people around has just made me feel better walking home late at night.

Posted on: 2012/10/5 12:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
dtjcview wrote: Bill, The links you listed included: - bikes stolen from all over downtown JC - a car burglary that occurred on Coles not Monmouth - a complaint about a local bar - a car hitting a fire hydrant - an elderly woman getting pushed over by teens - and the mugging that was reported second hand that may have happened near Monmouth.
Yes, all those happened where it was close enough to Monmouth that people mentioned that street. Those were only from 2012. It's funny how you trivialize every event, your subjectiveness/defensiveness is paramount... I don't make the facts, I just bring them back up when people try to gloss them over for their own self interest. Also I did a search on craigslist for downtown jersey city 1br <$900. Guess what! 1 listing, and what street is it on? qed

Posted on: 2012/10/5 5:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Bill,

The links you listed included:
- bikes stolen from all over downtown JC
- a car burglary that occurred on Coles not Monmouth
- a complaint about a local bar
- a car hitting a fire hydrant
- an elderly woman getting pushed over by teens
- and the mugging that was reported second hand that may have happened near Monmouth.

This makes Monmouth relatively unsafe? To where? Mayberry? And all this is a cause or effect of low rents on Monmouth? Have a look at properties for sale on Zillow on or near Monmouth. Most are over $500K and some are over $1M. Zillow - Monmouth listings

I suspect you don't know much about JC west of Washington other that what you find on those scary JCList searches.

Posted on: 2012/10/5 5:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
I can do a search on virtually every street in downtown JC, and find nearby muggings, rapes and murders. I just wondered why you singled out a set of streets including Monmouth.

I named those streets because those are the ones that always get mentioned on jclist. Either something is going on or people are always asking about them. Why do you think people are always asking about? Maybe because the rents on those street are below average for downtown. Why do you think they are below average? Maybe because the quality of life isn't so high...

Please show me as many threads about any other street than those I mentioned...

http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewt ... id=298075#forumpost298075

http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewt ... id=294969#forumpost294969

http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewt ... id=294484#forumpost294484

http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewt ... id=294180#forumpost294180

http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewt ... id=290880#forumpost290880

http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewt ... id=282931#forumpost282931

and on....

Posted on: 2012/10/5 3:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bill wrote:
Quote:

bill wrote:
Just do a search.

The mugging was one event I remembered off the top of my head. If you search the forum you will come across other threads.

I can do a search on virtually every street in downtown JC, and find nearby muggings, rapes and murders. I just wondered why you singled out a set of streets including Monmouth.

I'm pretty sure there have been more muggings near both Newark and Grove Streets. On Coles that was mentioned in your mugging quote, there was a murder a couple of years back. Grand, Columbus, Marin and Erie are much more unsafe than Monmouth if you consider traffic.

I was hoping to hear your theory as to why you thought Monmouth was relatively unsafe. I guess you don't have one.

Posted on: 2012/10/5 3:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bill wrote:
Just do a search.

The mugging was one event I remembered off the top of my head. If you search the forum you will come across other threads.

Posted on: 2012/10/5 2:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bill wrote:
Just do a search. Off the top of my head there was that mugging in the alley off monmouth b/t 4th and 5th.

A mugging that might have happened in an alley off Monmouth is your basis for designating Monmouth as relatively unsafe? I don't get your logic.

Posted on: 2012/10/5 2:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
Just do a search. Off the top of my head there was that mugging in the alley off monmouth b/t 4th and 5th.

Posted on: 2012/10/4 22:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bill wrote:
It might be generally considered safe, but if you search the threads on jclist Monmouth has a higher share of mischief (like bright, wayne, varick) than the other streets downtown.

Are noisy bars on or near Monmouth what you mean by "mischief"? With all the violent crimes such as rapes, muggings and homicides in downtown over the past number of years, I don't remember any of them being on Monmouth.

Posted on: 2012/10/4 22:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
It might be generally considered safe, but if you search the threads on jclist Monmouth has a higher share of mischief (like bright, wayne, varick) than the other streets downtown.

Posted on: 2012/10/4 17:10

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/5 18:31
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks everyone!

Posted on: 2012/10/4 13:51

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/4/25 1:25
Group:
Banned
I lived there about five years ago, and it got so bad that I had to

Posted on: 2012/10/3 20:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/24 20:34
Group:
Registered Users
Agree with Ripple. I live one block east of there and have no problems. My fiancee walks home at night by herself and hasn't had any issues (knock wood). It really doesn't feel much different than walking anywhere else near the Grove St. area. For some reason Monmouth seems to be a fairly busy cross street so between that and Columbus noise will be your primary concern, not safety.

Posted on: 2012/10/3 20:29

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017