Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
111 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Ward F (esp former E) voters-Diane Coleman in Nov
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Moses Salem 4B is savvy enough to post an ad here:

http://jclist.com/modules/classifieds ... x.php?pa=viewads&lid=3956

Posted on: 2016/6/7 0:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/10 13:10
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bread wrote:
Why vote for Ms. Coleman. There are two other people running for the position. Either one of them must be better qualified than Ms. Coleman. Anyone would be better qualified.

She said the same stuff when campaigning for WARD F council person and has been a complete bust. Non-Responsive. We have been without representation since she was elected.

+1. Only shows up when there's a photo op standing next to Steve. Complete waste of time even trying to deal with her. And her aid was such an abrasive jerk that I quit even trying to ask for her assistance.

Vote for ANYBODY else. Somebody who will actually work...

Posted on: 2016/6/6 22:58

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/16 20:40
Group:
Registered Users
Why vote for Ms. Coleman. There are two other people running for the position. Either one of them must be better qualified than Ms. Coleman. Anyone would be better qualified.

She said the same stuff when campaigning for WARD F council person and has been a complete bust. Non-Responsive. We have been without representation since she was elected.

Posted on: 2016/6/6 22:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/29 1:10
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
My favorite line from the article: "I think it's a great opportunity and I'm happy to have been approved for that position," she said. "I'm going to work hard to make the register's office the best register's office in the state of New Jersey."

Hudson County, where democracy remains a formality.

Second favorite: Asked what the county register's duties are, Coleman said, "Look it up."

Ah, ever the humble public servant.

Ha! And this was priceless (and telling as well):

...In the last year, she has made it clear that she has tired of her council gig. She is often first among her eight council colleagues to jump out of her seat the moment their meetings are adjourned. She has described getting booed at community meetings. At a City Hall ceremony last year commemorating Juneteenth, the annual celebration of the abolition of American slavery, Coleman told audience members that she declines to give money to homeless people because she has trouble paying her own bills.

(JJ Article Excerpt)

Posted on: 2016/6/6 19:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
My favorite line from the article: "I think it's a great opportunity and I'm happy to have been approved for that position," she said. "I'm going to work hard to make the register's office the best register's office in the state of New Jersey."

Hudson County, where democracy remains a formality.

Second favorite: Asked what the county register's duties are, Coleman said, "Look it up."

Ah, ever the humble public servant.

Posted on: 2016/6/6 19:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Bye Girl! Maybe we can get someone more competent....

Posted on: 2016/6/6 19:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
Or they ignored you.

Why shouldn't Ahmad receive the appointment?

I was not ignored, eyes were on me. My point, why make a scapegoat out of Ray Velasquez? I thought Fulop was above this but I was wrong.

Posted on: 2016/3/27 13:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Or they ignored you.

Why shouldn't Ahmad receive the appointment?

Posted on: 2016/3/25 4:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
To the extent elected officials make appointments, they are inherently "political."

I never had a problem with Ray Velazquez and still do not, but even before he was on the council he was attacking Steve Fulop regularly on his blog, which does not appear to be up any further. And they were regular nemeses on the council, not only voting against each other but sniping at each other.

He was appointed Judge, Freeholder, Councilman and while I don't think that he did a bad job as any of them, he was appointed because he was in with the Healy administration. It's not like he was Superman and always the most possible qualified appointment of the bunch. His appointment was as "political" as the opposition to it. So was coupling his appointment with Carlo Abad. Everyone wanted Abad on the court and Healy thought he would be sly by linking the Abad and Velazquez appointments in the same ordinance. And in particular, it was a clumsy attempt to put councilman Lavarro in a bind by having him either go against Fulop or vote down the first Filipino judge and incur the ire of the Filipino community (the gambit didn't work, Lavarro was elected easily and is still in favor with the Jersey City Filipino community, who saw through the ruse easily).

Perhaps a reform minded politician could propose some better method of screening and selecting candidates. Mayor Koch did something like that in NYC to take at least some of the politics out of judgeship selections, a measure that was undone by Giuliani. Until then, Mayor Fulop will do what ever other mayor has done before him, appoint municipal judges with the consent of the council. And the fact that Kalimah Ahmad was appointed despite past affiliation with Healy indicates to me that whatever "political games" were at play then at the very least there was some accounting for merit and a willingness to consider someone even though they were not always on the same slate.

Still drinking the kool-aid, Joshua? I brought this up at last night council meeting and you could hear a pin drop. Everyone knew I was right and did not say a word, which in itself was unusual. Many times they respond but not this time.

Posted on: 2016/3/24 21:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
To the extent elected officials make appointments, they are inherently "political."

I never had a problem with Ray Velazquez and still do not, but even before he was on the council he was attacking Steve Fulop regularly on his blog, which does not appear to be up any further. And they were regular nemeses on the council, not only voting against each other but sniping at each other.

He was appointed Judge, Freeholder, Councilman and while I don't think that he did a bad job as any of them, he was appointed because he was in with the Healy administration. It's not like he was Superman and always the most possible qualified appointment of the bunch. His appointment was as "political" as the opposition to it. So was coupling his appointment with Carlo Abad. Everyone wanted Abad on the court and Healy thought he would be sly by linking the Abad and Velazquez appointments in the same ordinance. And in particular, it was a clumsy attempt to put councilman Lavarro in a bind by having him either go against Fulop or vote down the first Filipino judge and incur the ire of the Filipino community (the gambit didn't work, Lavarro was elected easily and is still in favor with the Jersey City Filipino community, who saw through the ruse easily).

Perhaps a reform minded politician could propose some better method of screening and selecting candidates. Mayor Koch did something like that in NYC to take at least some of the politics out of judgeship selections, a measure that was undone by Giuliani. Until then, Mayor Fulop will do what ever other mayor has done before him, appoint municipal judges with the consent of the council. And the fact that Kalimah Ahmad was appointed despite past affiliation with Healy indicates to me that whatever "political games" were at play then at the very least there was some accounting for merit and a willingness to consider someone even though they were not always on the same slate.

Posted on: 2016/3/24 20:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SOS wrote:
I always respected Ahmad. Good choice!

And I always respected Ray Velasquez, he was attacked for no reason except to tarnish someone reputation.

Posted on: 2016/3/23 16:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/23 15:07
From Between Thought and Expression
Group:
Registered Users
I always respected Ahmad. Good choice!

Posted on: 2016/3/23 16:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
The council refused to confirm Velasquez as well as Carlo Abad, who had no major political connection to Healy, because it was on the eve of the election, which is eerily similar to what Republicans are saying (although in that case the election was much closer). Abad was, however, subsequently appointed after Fulop became mayor.

When they turned down Carlo Abad, the city council apologized because his name was in the same ordinance. Then later appointed him to bench. Carlo Abad did not serve as councilperson but both Ray Velasquez Kalimah Ahmad did. My point is if Ray Velasquez was considered a political hack why is Kalimah Ahmad not?

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... ses_healy_of_cronyis.html

I think the simple answer is, "because they respect her more."

Just because the council disapproved of one former Healy appointment does not mean they have to disapprove of all former Healy appointments. The administration kept people from the prior administration in their positions, some temporarily, others for a longer period of time. That's not to say that there have been no political considerations, or even no petty political considerations, in appointments. But very few administrations completely clean house and throw out everyone or refuse to consider them for service in the future. Three years later, Kalimah gets picked. So what?

I am not going to name names, but I was aware of one very high ranking official in the administration who was always very supportive of Kalimah Ahmad, and never held it against her that she was appointed to the council by Healy. From my viewpoint, and I do not claim my viewpoint is authoritative (I am not in anyone's "inner circle"), it always appeared that there was more animosity towards Velasquez, who was more outspoken against Fulop.

I agree with Dan that the attacks on Velasquez were sometimes very nasty. And I am not so naive to think that there are no unsavory considerations taken into account. But the fact that, three years later, Ahmad gets picked for a judgeship does not appear to be improper or even hypocritical. One can slant it as cutting a deal with a former adversary or deciding, after some time, that the person wasn't so bad after all and has proven herself. It's not the first time it's happened, not the last time it will happen, and not bad that it does happen.

Could you name one thing that Ray Velasquez said or did that could be construed as a "political hack?" There is also no proof that anyone on this sitting council actually knows Ahmad to determine she is a better person than Velasquez. This is nothing but politics, plain and simple. As Dan Levin said earlier this is not about Ahmad or Velasquez, it is about the politics and the games Fulop is playing.

By the way both Ahmad and Velasquez had the same voting record while on the council.

Posted on: 2016/3/23 16:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
The council refused to confirm Velasquez as well as Carlo Abad, who had no major political connection to Healy, because it was on the eve of the election, which is eerily similar to what Republicans are saying (although in that case the election was much closer). Abad was, however, subsequently appointed after Fulop became mayor.

When they turned down Carlo Abad, the city council apologized because his name was in the same ordinance. Then later appointed him to bench. Carlo Abad did not serve as councilperson but both Ray Velasquez Kalimah Ahmad did. My point is if Ray Velasquez was considered a political hack why is Kalimah Ahmad not?

I think the simple answer is, "because they respect her more."

Just because the council disapproved of one former Healy appointment does not mean they have to disapprove of all former Healy appointments. The administration kept people from the prior administration in their positions, some temporarily, others for a longer period of time. That's not to say that there have been no political considerations, or even no petty political considerations, in appointments. But very few administrations completely clean house and throw out everyone or refuse to consider them for service in the future. Three years later, Kalimah gets picked. So what?

I am not going to name names, but I was aware of one very high ranking official in the administration who was always very supportive of Kalimah Ahmad, and never held it against her that she was appointed to the council by Healy. From my viewpoint, and I do not claim my viewpoint is authoritative (I am not in anyone's "inner circle"), it always appeared that there was more animosity towards Velasquez, who was more outspoken against Fulop.

I agree with Dan that the attacks on Velasquez were sometimes very nasty. And I am not so naive to think that there are no unsavory considerations taken into account. But the fact that, three years later, Ahmad gets picked for a judgeship does not appear to be improper or even hypocritical. One can slant it as cutting a deal with a former adversary or deciding, after some time, that the person wasn't so bad after all and has proven herself. It's not the first time it's happened, not the last time it will happen, and not bad that it does happen.

Posted on: 2016/3/23 15:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:

Posted on: 2016/3/23 14:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2016/3/23 3:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/9/21 23:51
Group:
Registered Users
Lol, best laugh of the day.

Posted on: 2016/3/23 0:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

wow, Yvonne shut up jclist up for a few hours and silenced the usual trolls, and what not. this is what Yvonne does best, little commentary, but documented history. this is not about Ms Ahmad or Mr. Velasquez, but the our mayor.

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Fulop will appoint former Councilwoman Kalimah Ahmad as a part time judge to the JC Municipal Court. I guess this is musical chairs. Resolution 16.204. A little history - For those who do not remember, Healy appointed Kalimah Ahmad to Willie Flood's councilseat when she resigned. Flood later passed away. However, Ahmad had to run for the seat and was defeated by Viola Richardson who was Ward F councilperson. She paired with now Council-President Lavarro against Ahmad and Ray Velasquez. Both Richardson and Lavarro won. Now Fulop who ran against won against Healy is appointing Ahmad as a part time judge. Do anyone remember when Fulop turned down Velasquez because of his association with Healy? Well, so is Ahmad associated with Healy.

Video on this subject - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOAWfSrtBpk

Posted on: 2016/3/22 18:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Fulop will appoint former Councilwoman Kalimah Ahmad as a part time judge to the JC Municipal Court. I guess this is musical chairs. Resolution 16.204. A little history - For those who do not remember, Healy appointed Kalimah Ahmad to Willie Flood's councilseat when she resigned. Flood later passed away. However, Ahmad had to run for the seat and was defeated by Viola Richardson who was Ward F councilperson. She paired with now Council-President Lavarro against Ahmad and Ray Velasquez. Both Richardson and Lavarro won. Now Fulop who ran against won against Healy is appointing Ahmad as a part time judge. Do anyone remember when Fulop turned down Velasquez because of his association with Healy? Well, so is Ahmad associated with Healy.

Video on this subject - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOAWfSrtBpk

Posted on: 2016/3/22 0:35

Edited by Yvonne on 2016/3/22 0:55:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
'Musical chairs' on Jersey City City Council as body preps to add sixth new member since 2009

By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal
November 27, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Just call it Jersey City Musical Chairs.

Diane Coleman, who is expected to be sworn-in tomorrow as the City Council?s newest Ward F representative, is set to become the sixth new person sworn onto the nine-member body since its term began in July 2009.

With Councilwoman at large Viola Richardson being elected to two different seats since 2009, Coleman's will be the seventh swearing-in since the last city election.

That?s an unprecedented turnover rate the likes of which the city has never seen, according to one city official.

Seven different individuals have sat in the three at-large seats since the last city election, while three different women have been the Ward F rep in that period, counting Coleman.

?It?s musical chairs,? the official said.

Since 1961, only one council?s term has been as tumultuous, with the 2001-2005 period seeing current Mayor Jerramiah Healy, then an at-large council member, resigning to become mayor, current Council President Peter Brennan stepping down as the Ward A rep to replace Healy and Kathleen Curran replacing Brennan in Ward A.

This term?s epic turnover rate began with the massive corruption sweep in July 2009, which ensnared former Ward B council rep Philip J. Kenny ? who was first appointed to the council just six months earlier ? and former at-large member Mariano Vega, first elected in 2001.

Kenny resigned in October 2009, while Vega held onto his seat until September 2010. Both were sentenced to federal prison for accepting bribes, Kenny for one year and Vega for 30 months.

Current Ward B Councilman David Donnelly was appointed to replace Kenny, and won a special election in 2010 to remain in the seat until Kenny?s term expires next June. Vega was replaced by mayoral appointment Ray Velazquez, a Hudson County attorney.

The musical chairs continued in February 2011 when former councilwoman at large Willie Flood resigned, citing illness (Flood died in April 2012). Mayoral appointment Kalimah Ahmad, also a Hudson County attorney, quickly replaced her.

Velazquez and Ahmad ran in a wild special election in November 2011 ? along with 15 other candidates ? to remain in the at-large seats until Velazquez?s and Flood?s terms expire next June. Both lost, to Richardson -- then the Ward F councilwoman -- and New Jersey City University official Rolando Lavarro.

(Adding to the confusion, Velazquez was sworn-in as a deputy mayor this May.)

When Richardson became a councilwoman at large, that opened up the Ward F council seat. Mayoral appointment Michele Massey was sworn-in to the post in December 2012, and ran in this month?s special election to remain in the seat until June 2013.

Unofficial election results show Massey lost by about 1,500 votes to Coleman, whose victory is expected to be certified by Hudson County election officials this week. The results are not expected to shift to Massey, and Coleman?s council nameplate has already been engraved.

Ward E Councilman Fulop said he thinks the high turnover rate is ?sad.?

?I think that continuous representation is important to an elected government,? he said, adding that the near-constant shift of elected officials ?affects services ? affects responsiveness.?

Brennan ? who replaced Vega as the nine-member body?s leader when Vega resigned from the post ? disagrees. The high turnover rate can be seen as a positive, with new council members bringing ?different viewpoints? to the table, Brennan said.

He added, ?I think each council person that comes on board knows their area.?

Fulop backed Coleman in this month?s special election, while Healy backed Massey. Fulop said there?s only one culprit for this council term?s musical chairs: political corruption.

?It?s been tumultuous because there?s been unprecedented arrests associated with this administration for corruption,? he said. ?One is directly related to the other, and all of this costs taxpayers money.?

In a statement, Healy noted that only two council members resigned because they faced corruption charges, while Flood stepped down because of illness.

"To assign all changes on the council to corruption is just another gross exaggeration of the facts by Steve Fulop," Healy said.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... hairs_on_jersey_city.html

Posted on: 2012/11/28 6:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Eight days after Jersey City special election, councilwoman concedes defeat

By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal
on November 14, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Though Jersey City woman Diane Coleman last week claimed victory in the special election to fill an unexpired term on the City Council, second-place finisher and incumbent Councilwoman Michele Massey did not concede defeat.

Until today.

?I don?t anticipate 2,000 votes coming in,? Massey told The Jersey Journal this morning. ?So, I?m fine with the conclusion that Ms. Coleman won the seat.?

Massey was appointed last December as the Ward F councilwoman, replacing longtime Ward F rep Viola Richardson. Richardson won her own special election last November to become a councilwoman at large.

Massey needed to win last week?s election to remain in the seat until after the May 2013 city election, but with 97 percent of precincts reporting, she remains 1,520 votes behind Coleman.

Asked if she has spoken to the apparent winner yet, Massey said, ?Not at all.?

Hudson County Board of Elections Clerk Michael Harper said the county is waiting until Monday, Nov. 19 to certify election results because of a state directive setting that day as a deadline for receiving mail-in ballots from first responders and Hurricane Sandy victims.

Coleman, head of local nonprofit Building an Empire, said Massey?s concession is ?what everybody was waiting for,? adding that no one in Coleman?s camp thought the apparent results would change once mail-in ballots are counted.

?I won by a landslide,? Coleman said.

The apparent councilwoman-elect said she?s putting a plan together for her term, which expires on June 30, 2013. The first item on her agenda, she said, is to sit down with Police Chief Tom Comey to discuss crime in Ward F.

?We?re going to come up with a plan of action to get rid of those people hanging on the corner that intimidate residents of Ward F,? she said.

Coleman?s apparent victory caps a tumultuous term for Jersey City?s nine-member council. Since the 2009 city election, six members have either stepped down voluntarily or were booted out in special elections, counting Massey.

Massey, whose council appointment doesn't expire until Coleman's win is certified, said she may not be done with politics quite yet.

"I have a lot of supporters who are certainly urging me to continue to pursue that office or another," she said.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... _after_jersey_city_s.html

Posted on: 2012/11/14 18:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City: Fulop candidate wins Ward F
Does Coleman victory spell trouble for Mayor Healy?

by E. Assata Wright - Reporter staff writer
Nov 11, 2012

For the second election cycle in a row, Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy?s endorsed candidate suffered a defeat at the polls, an outcome that might not bode well for Healy?s own reelection effort next year.

On Election Day, Ward F residents chose Diane Coleman to be their representative on the City Council. Coleman, who garnered 3,453 votes, defeated incumbent Ward F Councilwoman Michele Massey, Rev. Tyrone Ballon, and community activist Debbie Walker. Massey, who finished in second place, received 1,933 votes, followed by Ballon and Walker, who received 542 and 254 votes respectively, with 96.7 percent of the vote counted.

Election results had not been certified by press time on Friday, Nov. 9.

Coleman will now serve out the remainder of Viola Richardson?s term as the Ward F City Council rep, a term that ends in May 2013. In a special election held in November 2011, Richardson, who had represented Ward F on the council for nearly a decade, ran for and won an at-large seat on the City Council.

Coleman has said that she plans to run for a full four-year term next spring to keep her seat.

?I?m glad that I?ll now have the chance to address many of the issues facing this community, including crime, affordable housing, and job creation,? Coleman said.

Proxy race?

Healy?s allies are downplaying the election results. But most of Jersey City?s political observers saw the Coleman-Massey matchup as a proxy race for the 2013 mayoral fight between Healy and Ward E City Councilman Steven Fulop, who endorsed Coleman.

For the past several years Fulop has been building a political machine that can work at the grassroots level and propel his chosen candidates into elected offices. The Fulop machine ? which is largely rooted in his home base downtown ? has successfully worked to elect eight of the nine current school board members and is already geared up to work for Fulop?s 2013 mayoral campaign.

Last week?s election was, however, something of a test to see how influential and successful this machine could be in Ward F, a community that is predominantly African American and more working class than Fulop?s core supporters downtown.

Coleman?s victory could be interpreted as a victory for the Fulop machine as well, since it demonstrates that he has reach and organizing strength in a ward where some people speculated he might not be popular.

For now, Fulop won?t say whether Coleman will be the Ward F candidate on his 2013 City Council slate, but most people expect her to be his pick.

?Diane was easy to support, as she has been doing social services in the community for 11 years,? Fulop said the day after the election. ?She knows the challenges and has a reputation that speaks for itself. I couldn?t be more excited for Ward F and for the opportunity to work with her as she focuses on such issues as crime, police visibility in the community. She will be terrific.?

Overlooked race?

Massey, who has not ruled out another run for the council next May, said she believes she lost because many Ward F residents did not know about the special election.

?People didn?t even know this special election was happening,? Massey said. ?There were districts where [Pres. Barack] Obama received 524 votes but only 138 people voted in the Ward F race. And even the poll workers didn?t know this race was going on, which was a problem, too.?

Hurricane Sandy, Massey added, also forced her to cancel a fundraiser and abandon campaigning. The storm also forced the cancelation of a Ward F debate among the candidates that was scheduled for Monday, Oct. 29.

Massey is now the third Healy-backed candidate to be defeated at the polls in the past two years.

Last year, during a special election to fill two at-large seats on the City Council, Kalimah Ahmad and Radames ?Ray? Velazquez were defeated by Richardson and Rolando Lavarro Jr. Like Massey, Ahmad and Velazquez had been appointed to the City Council by Healy following the resignation of Willie Flood, due to illness, and the resignation Mariano Vega. Vega left the council after being arrested in the 2009 Federal Bureau of Investigation sting operation known as Operation Bid Rig.

Healy endorsed Ahmad and Velazquez in the Nov. 2011 special election, but they finished fourth and fifth in the race, respectively.

Speculation

Some observers have speculated that Healy?s endorsement of Massey may have hurt her in the special election. Ahmad and Velazquez where seen by some residents as being puppets of the Healy administration and its policies, and last month Fulop called Massey a ?rubber stamp? for the administration.

Healy supporters scoff at that assessment, however.

?Healy wasn?t on the ballot,? said one campaign insider. ?Do you really think the Coleman voters were voting for [Fulop] against Healy? No. We never looked at this like a major front. Healy-Fulop, that?s the main event.?

Joshua Henne, spokesman for the Healy campaign, echoed this sentiment.

?On election day, Mayor Healy was helping Jersey City recover from Superstorm Sandy and ensuring that the families who live here were safe, with a nor?easter bearing down the next day,? Henne said. ?The mayor wasn?t even on the ballot. He is elated that Barack Obama and Bob Menendez will continue leading our nation and state in the years to come.?

Massey?s last official day as a councilwoman was Sunday, Nov. 11. At press time no date had been scheduled yet for Coleman to be sworn in.

E-mail E. Assata Wright at awright@hudsonreporter.com.

SIDEBAR

Jersey City voters support moving school board race to Nov.

In a non-binding public question put to voters in Jersey City on Election Day, residents overwhelmingly supported moving future school board elections from April to November.

Voters supported the move by a vote of 20,249 in favor to 7,426 against.

City Councilman Steven Fulop, who spearheaded the effort to have this public question put on the ballot, said he will introduce a measure on Nov. 28 to formally move school board elections, beginning in 2013.

http://hudsonreporter.com/view/full_s ... ndary_stories_left_column

Posted on: 2012/11/11 17:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/10 13:10
From Downtown JC, VVP Area
Group:
Registered Users
Unofficial results posted on the County Clerk's website:

Jersey City Ward F Council Unexp. (Non Partisan)
30/31 96.77%
Vote Count Percent
NP - Tyrone BALLON 542 8.76%
NP - Debbie WALKER 254 4.11%
NP - Michele MASSEY 1,933 31.25%
NP - Diane COLEMAN 3,453 55.82%
Personal Choice 4 0.06%
Total 6,186 100.00%

Posted on: 2012/11/7 10:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Political Insider: Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy is in big trouble following Coleman victory in Ward F

By Agustin C. Torres/The Jersey Journal
November 07, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Jubilation broke out in the Martin Luther King Drive Ward F campaign headquarters of Diane Coleman after one of her campaign workers realized they defeated Councilwoman Michele Massey for the incumbent's seat on the Jersey City council.

While writing this column, final numbers were unavailable. But at the moment I knew Coleman failed to win only one district, and won a nearly 1,600 vote majority, so far. Coleman, head of a nonprofit social services agency, represents a victory for Downtown Councilman Steven Fulop and a stunning defeat for Mayor Jerramiah Healy and the present black political leadership, all of whom backed Massey.

The Insider has called this race a predictor of the May city election. This campaign solidifies Fulop as the better organizer and is more evidence that the Jersey City Democratic Organization, led by Freeholder Jeff Dublin, continues to rot away.

The council seat, which was vacated last year by Viola Richardson when she became a councilwoman at large, became Massey's when she was appointed by Healy and the City Council rubber stamped the action.

Mayor Jerramiah Healy is in big trouble. In fact, many of the elected officials in the county seat have to worry. Even stalwarts like state Sen. Sandra Cunningham of the 31st Legislative District and fellow Assemblyman Charles Mainor are not safe.

Massey said she tried to run a clean race and didn't want to make it "a cat fight," but she did complain that she was confronted by an angry and vociferous Dublin on the street yesterday. The freeholder could not be reached for comment, but hey, it's a Hudson election and feelings get hurt.

What will she do as a member of the council?

"I'll do what I've always have and work hard for people," Coleman told the Insider last night. We'll have to spice up these canned statements in the future.

Before next May, she should also get ready to have her reputation muddied and her character questioned by administration backers.

Now here?s the important part of this election: it ain?t over.

Massey and company are not admitting defeat. There are about 984 mail-in votes yet to be counted. These are actually walk-in votes from over the weekend because the deadline was extended thanks to Hurricane Sandy. Problem for Healy?s people is that, more than likely, at least half of those are Coleman?s because Fulop had many voters transported to the county offices on Saturday.

In other new storm-related territory, Gov. Christie ordered that email voting will continue until Friday. Can the JCDeadO get enough email voters? Ask yourself this question: which political faction has the most social media savvy people, Healy?s bunch or Fulop?s? This is why there is panic in City Hall. Whatever email votes pro-Massey (Healy) people can muster, Coleman (Fulop) will most likely exceed it.

INSIDER NOTE

-- Just one. I received several phone calls yesterday from President Obama voters complaining that ?they? should do away with the ?archaic? Electoral College. I suggested they should leave things alone ? and that we were better off not having ?winner take all? by some state legislatures that changed the college process. Now that Obama won by Electoral College and Romney, it seems, won the popular vote, I?m getting calls by the same people that it was sweet revenge for the 2000 Al Gore defeat ? not that it?s a good thing the Electoral College was never changed.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/voices/index ... nsider_jersey_city_1.html

Posted on: 2012/11/7 7:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Congratulations to Diane Coleman on a race well run and a hard-earned victory. With 28 of 31 districts reporting in F, she leads Michele Massey by 3,332 to 1,869.

Posted on: 2012/11/7 3:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/18 16:12
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
I just checked my sample ballot and it's not there. It wasn't on the real ballot either. My husband and I both looked for it,

Posted on: 2012/11/7 1:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/25 16:16
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Please see attached a sample ballot for Ward F. Look below the Public Questions
http://www.hudsoncountyclerk.org/elec ... llots/JC%20Smpl%20f13.pdf

Quote:

jcgurl wrote:
I did not see this on the ballot... it wasn't on the sample ballot I got in the mail or the real ballot. Or did I just overlook it? I'm in Ward F Legislative District 14.

Posted on: 2012/11/6 16:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/25 16:16
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mfadam wrote:
anyone know if it is possible to vote in this election from out of state? I'm trying to get greenlight to vote in presidential election from Hudson Cty Clerk, but not sure if they will include info to vote locally. TIA

This may apply to you
http://www.hudsoncountyclerk.org/elections/default.htm

Please include a notation in your e-mail or on your faxed application that you have been displaced by the hurricane and are not able to make it to our office or your polling place.
*Once your application has been processed by this office, we will then email you your ballot, an electronic transmission sheet and a secrecy waiver. You must complete the ballot, sign the electronic transmission sheet and waiver in order for your vote to count. PLEASE NOTE INSTRUCTIONS WILL BE INCLUDED WITH THESE DOCUMENTS.
Emailed / Faxed applications for Mail-In Ballots will only be accepted up until 5 p.m.
on Tuesday, November 6th.
Questions: Please call our Election Division at 201-369-3470 OPTION 6

NOTE: I think that I heard on the news that you should be sure to mail in the ballot, after you vote , otherwise your email /fax ballot will not be counted

Posted on: 2012/11/6 14:40

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/14 15:59
From 07304
Group:
Registered Users
It's at the very bottom of the ballot. I hope people will see it. It's below the yes/no referendum questions.

Posted on: 2012/11/6 14:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/18 16:12
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
I did not see this on the ballot... it wasn't on the sample ballot I got in the mail or the real ballot. Or did I just overlook it? I'm in Ward F Legislative District 14.

Posted on: 2012/11/6 14:10

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017