Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
107 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 107

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Ward F (esp former E) voters-Diane Coleman in Nov
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
anyone know if it is possible to vote in this election from out of state? I'm trying to get greenlight to vote in presidential election from Hudson Cty Clerk, but not sure if they will include info to vote locally. TIA

Posted on: 2012/11/6 12:28

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/14 23:51
From The West Side!
Group:
Registered Users
I am posting this for my friend, Diane Coleman, who is having a technical problem which is preventing her posting from her own account.

Resized ImageHello. I?m Diane Coleman. I?m writing to introduce myself and to ask for your vote for Ward F City Council.

Jersey City is my life, and Ward F is my home. This past week has broken my heart with the damage the storm inflicted on our community. It has also filled me with gratitude for the generosity and good spirit people have shown to help one another get through this tough time.

I believe that actions speak louder than words.

Twelve years ago I rolled up my sleeves and founded a non-profit agency to intervene in some of the worst problems in my neighborhood. Building an Empire assists between 700-800 households every year, preventing families from becoming homeless, giving emergency food aid, and doing trainings to build job skills, teach better parenting, and mentor youth. I have been tremendously blessed ? it is so rewarding to see you?ve made a positive difference in people?s lives.

I?ve also come to see that we need help. We need a government that listens, that is fiscally responsible, and that puts the people of our city first. Since friends encouraged me to step up and help change City Hall, it has been a learning experience. I can?t tell you I know everything. But I do know we need to work together to solve our city?s problems: delivering services, using our taxes wisely, improving our schools and restoring integrity to City Hall.

I can promise you I will work hard. I will not cheat, steal, or lie to you. I will represent every part of Ward F. I may not have met you personally yet, but you will not find it hard to meet me.

I have enjoyed meeting with the Van Vorst Park Association, Dixon Mills residents, and many others informally. I have been moved helping to assist downtown residents who were flooded out, as my team and I reached out, and now many are working with the grassroots recovery effort at the Barrow Mansion (jcnjrecovery.org). Uptown we set up an emergency charging and relief station in my campaign headquarters. My volunteer team has been responding to this crisis since before the storm hit, just as we will work together to build a better Ward F and a better Jersey City.

Community meetings and rummage sales are not that different uptown and downtown. Especially in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, we see that we are linked together with common needs and concerns: safe neighborhoods, quality schools, communities we can love and afford to live in.

This new partnership between downtown and Ward F is very exciting, for we need each other to succeed. If you trust me with your vote, I will try every day to be the Councilwoman you need, and to make our city government work for us again.

Diane Coleman
dianecoleman4jc@gmail.com

Link to Jersey Journal article which mentions our relief efforts

Quick reference flyer with storm recovery information

Posted on: 2012/11/6 4:52

Edited by PaulBellan-Boyer on 2012/11/6 5:10:37
Edited by PaulBellan-Boyer on 2012/11/6 5:12:51
Edited by PaulBellan-Boyer on 2012/11/6 5:14:11
Edited by PaulBellan-Boyer on 2012/11/6 5:15:01
Edited by PaulBellan-Boyer on 2012/11/6 5:18:12
Edited by PaulBellan-Boyer on 2012/11/6 5:19:59

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/14 15:59
From 07304
Group:
Registered Users
+1 for what getz011 said. The only emails and updates I've received are from the east district police and Doug Carlucci. And I cannot support anyone aligning with Healy.
I know it's hard to tell how successful anyone will be once they get in office, but after meeting and listening to the candidates I do feel Diane Coleman is the best choice. We've all put hope in people here and been disappointed but I'm going to vote based on what she's already done to help people in our community and the fact that she's not in someone else's pocket already.
Also Ms. Coleman has been doing door to door, neighborhood meetings, mailers. Maybe if you haven't heard of her it's because you don't live in our ward or attend any meetings here.

Posted on: 2012/11/3 22:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/14 1:50
Group:
Registered Users
It's day 5 without power in Lafayette, and temperatures are dropping into the 30's. We spend our days with friends downtown whose power has been restored to recharge phones and laptops, feed ourselves and get warm. We also check our e-mails and catch up with the news.

Throughout this crisis, we've heard a lot of official voices from Jersey City offering information, advice, warnings, encouragement, etc. It's come in any number of forms, and from any number of sources. Some of it's been really useful, and even when not, it's good to know that someone in government remembers that we exist and have questions and concerns.

There's one voice I haven't heard a peep from during this crisis: Ward F's ostensible council representative, Michele Massey. What's up with that? I haven't seen anything from her in the news or online forums, nor has anyone I know gotten any direct communication. In my case, I know she has my e-mail address because I wrote to her months ago offering any assistance with her work, and got a cursory response that indicated no interest whatsoever.

This is a textbook example of bad governance. Communication with constituents is at the heart of local government, and Michele Massey has demonstrated that she doesn't know how to communicate at best, or doesn't care to at worst. Our neighborhoods are pitch black and freezing cold. It's not her job to allocate resources or decide when power can be repaired, but there's no indication that she's lifted a finger to advocate the needs of Ward F to the decision makers who do. Let alone keeping us updated on what to expect regarding storm preparation, relief efforts, or restoration of public transportation and utilities. Zero.

I know where my vote is going in next week's election. If she happens to win her seat next week, I also know where my future donations and organizing efforts will go.

Posted on: 2012/11/2 23:07

Edited by getz011 on 2012/11/2 23:22:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Diane Coleman, running to be Jersey City's Ward F councilwoman, says crime is the biggest problem

October 15, 2012, 8:09 AM
By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal

More than 12 years ago, Jersey City woman Diane Coleman founded Building an Empire, a nonprofit agency dedicated, she says, to ?filling in the gaps? provided by social service groups to poor and low-income residents.

This fall, Coleman hopes to use her experience running the nonprofit to vault her to victory in next month?s special election to find a Ward F council member to replace Viola Richardson, who vacated the seat last November after becoming a councilwoman at large.

Coleman, 65, of Arlington Avenue, said she?s helped over 8,000 residents via Building an Empire, and could reach even more if she becomes Ward F?s newest council representative.

?The need is so great,? she said earlier this month inside her Martin Luther King Drive campaign headquarters. ?These people are struggling.?

Coleman, nearly a lifelong city resident, said Ward F?s biggest issue is crime. The ward has been neglected, she said, adding that her nonprofit, located at Martin Luther King Drive and Bayview Avenue, is ?in the heart? of all of the violence.

?Seniors are held hostage,? she said, adding that many of them are afraid to leave their homes to run errands. ?Children are getting shot.?

If elected in November, Coleman said she plans to insist on ?proactive? police patrolling in Ward F.

?If it doesn?t happen, I can just get 1,000 residents together and we?ll go down to the police chief?s office? to demand it, she added.

Coleman may be familiar to New Jersey residents for her minor role in the corruption trial of former Newark mayor Sharpe James.

Coleman, who testified under the name Diane Fuller-Coleman, told jurors in the trial that she was a ?mentor? for James? girlfriend, Tamika Riley, and that Riley gave Coleman the impression that she, Riley and another woman would be able to obtain a plot of city land for free.

James was ultimately convicted of steering city land to Riley, who then made hundreds of thousands of dollars by flipping the properties instead of redeveloping them.

Coleman, who said ?Fuller? is her maiden name, said she had no choice but to testify the FBI told her if she didn?t, she?d be subpoenaed, she said and added that she ?had no idea? what Riley had been up to.

?When I found out, I separated myself from her,? she said. ?When it?s wrong, it?s wrong, and what she was involved in with the city of Newark was wrong.?

She is running against Michele Massey, Richardson?s appointed successor on the nine-member council.

Also in the Nov. 6 special election are anti-crime activist Debby Walker and pastor Tyrone Ballon.

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... man_running_to_be_je.html

Posted on: 2012/10/15 15:35

Re: Battle for Ward F Council Seat Part 1
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/9/9 14:13
Group:
Registered Users
You can meet Diane Coleman this Tuesday at 7:30 at the Barrow Mansion. She is on the agenda for the VVPA's monthly meeting--she asked to meet us and get to know the newest Ward F constituents.
Meeting is free, open to all and snacks are served!!

Tuesday October 16th @ 7:30pm Barrow Mansion 83 Wayne Street.

Posted on: 2012/10/13 22:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/16 19:07
Group:
Registered Users
I just got back from a dance performance the Shua Group put on at a 'guerilla' SK8 Park near the light rail, between the Jersey Ave and Liberty State Park stops. But we need a real SK9 Park. Here's an open letter to Diane Coleman on that issue:

http://new-savanna.blogspot.com/2012/ ... -park-open-letter-to.html

Posted on: 2012/10/13 19:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Diane Coleman. seems like the right choice, she has got my vote. Massey is late.

Posted on: 2012/10/13 17:36

Battle for Ward F Council Seat Part 1
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/17 7:21
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/10/13 17:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
I live in ward F but my neighbors across the street are in ward A. Which makes very little sense to me, however I will not be voting for Michelle she is just wrong on so many levels. Here is a great article from the JJ.

The special election for the remaining term -- runs to May -- for the Jersey City Ward F City Council seat now occupied by Michele Massey is a barometer for the city administration's future political success.
Although brought to local government by Councilwoman at Large Viola Richardson to fill a vacancy created by Willie Flood's 2011 resignation, Massey's loyalty quickly found a home in the administration of Mayor Jerramiah Healy.
Now the mayor is at a crossroad. Should Massey win her seat, there's no problem, but Healy cannot afford to see her defeated. She loses, it's a good bet the incumbent mayor is a loser, with a capital "L."
Healy's campaign organization must be able to show it has what it takes to get out the vote. This should be an easy fight because it is in the center of the city's black community where the administration has been busy trying to portray Healy's rival for mayor, Downtown Councilman Steven Fulop, as uncaring and a secretive manipulator. They and their allies in the black community paint Fulop as a pandering outsider who ousted former Superintendent of Schools Charles Epps, a black man, and who refused to consider another black man for the job, Franklin Walker.
A black woman, Marcia Lyles, was eventually hired as the new schools superintendent.
Those running against Massey includes the Rev. Tyrone Ballon, whose name on the ballot doesn't include any mention of the cloth. There is also nonprofit social agency, Building an Empire, founder Diane Coleman, who I thought was known as Fuller-Coleman -- someone who was "witness" to how (Newark) government works. Coleman is also seen as the threat to Massey's re-election bid. The fourth candidate is anti-crime activist Debbie Walker.
I'm sure the Healy camp was fast asleep in Ward F and by my mentioning what's at stake, it may wake them up. But, I doubt it. (Dems fightin' words, right guys.)JJ

Posted on: 2012/9/29 20:00

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/16 20:40
Group:
Registered Users
Michele Massey

I love her slogan ?Together We Can? ? Do what??pretty much nothing I would suggest.

As another former Ward E and now Ward F resident, I can attest from first hand experience to Ms Massey?s absolute lack of immediate responsiveness unless one almost gets to the point of ?kicking? her in the you know what.

Ms Massey was totally useless during the last two elections when the Board of Election was getting everything screwed up as to who were the new Ward F residents and where we were to vote and how to get the problem solved.

As usual we all turned to Steve Fulop to get us the information we needed to get the screw up fixed up. If left to Ms. Massey none of our votes would have counted.

I can assure you, the impression a good many of us former Ward E people have of Ms Massey is all negative.

Posted on: 2012/9/29 15:34

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/18 23:11
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DanL wrote:
I do not know anything about this candidate [Diane Coleman]... google did not turn up much...

'Nuff said from noted political wannabe and Ward F expert DanL.

If you spent any time in Ward F, Dan, you would not have to google. You'd know Diane Coleman.

On MLK, you're much more likely to know Diane than Michelle Massey. Until her anointing by King Healy, Massey was seldom seen south of Communipaw. Since her elevation to the Council dais, she's been running to every meeting at the Bethune Center to try and show she's "real" Ward F.

You can tell how great she'll be for Ward F by how close she's clung to Healy, Ward F's biggest friend. (Please excuse the dripping sarcasm.)

Posted on: 2012/9/28 20:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/18 15:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DanL wrote:
did you meet her last night at the VVPA meeting?

I meant before the campaign season.

Posted on: 2012/9/27 3:03

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/14 23:51
From The West Side!
Group:
Registered Users
Building an Empire is a non-profit social service agency founded by Diane Coleman in 2000. They do street-level direct service to people in need, serving between 700-800 households yearly. "Building an Empire's mission is the restoration of human potential" through housing, human services like parent training, child care, employment training and counseling, and emergency assistance with critical needs.

Much of their work is crisis intervention, especially in housing. This year (1/1 to date), they've helped 264 households find housing, provided 114 households with direct financial assistance to avoid homelessness, and helped 401 families with emergency food. The vast majority of the people they serve live at or under the poverty line, with 80% of this year's client households making less than $20k/year and 98% under $30k.

How do I know this? I work in social services for a different non-profit. I have occasionally referred people to Building an Empire, and they occasionally refer people to us. Also, I know the stats because I called and asked, and they were able to give them to me pretty much instantly, no small feat for a small provider.

IMO, Building an Empire is a well-managed and professional agency. This is demonstrated by their numbers, and through their consistency and and growth in an environment which sees inefficient agencies struggle and go under. Their reputation on the street is also very good, in terms of services actually delivered, fiscal responsibility, and respect given to those they serve.

Building an Empire's office is located at 229 MLK Drive (near Bayview Ave), 201.536.8590, buildinganempire@aol.com. They're open 9am-12pm Mon-Fri for adult services, and 3pm-5pm Mon-Thu for children's services.

Any campaign-related issues, though, should be directed to Ms. Coleman personally or to her campaign office (sorry, don't know the address or phone, but it's also on MLK).

Posted on: 2012/9/26 21:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
google did not turn up much other than the said listings.

a list of the Ward F candidates can be found here -

http://www.hudsoncountyclerk.org/elec ... 012General_Candidates.htm (scroll down)

the candidates are -

Non-Partisan Special
Jersey City Council Ward F
Office of Council/Ward F Candidates:

Tyrone Ballon
132 Kearny Avenue
PO BOX 4368
Jersey City, NJ 07304
SLOGAN: HOPE FOR CHANGE

Diane Coleman
59 Arlington Avenue
Jersey City, NJ 07305
SLOGAN: BETTER WARD F

Michele Massey
37 Emory Street
Jersey City, NJ 07304
SLOGAN: TOGETHER WE CAN

Debbie Walker
22 Oak Street
Jersey City, NJ 07304
SLOGAN: SAVING OUR COMMUNITY

Quote:

tern wrote:
I tried a web-search for "building an empire" as suggested, but am none the wiser, the results were all internet business directory spam sites, I couldn't find their actual website, or even a description of what "Building an Empire" does.

Perhaps someone could explain a little about it?

Robin.

Posted on: 2012/9/26 16:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
did you meet her last night at the VVPA meeting?

http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewt ... =&topic_id=27777&forum=11

the effort to change the term of the council president during a term was petty politics at its best, and a waste of time and resources (our tax dollars). eventually, the "right" ordinance was passed on 8/22 which becomes effective 7/1/2013.

Posted on: 2012/9/26 16:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/18 15:56
Group:
Registered Users
Just curious - I live in the "new F" on York street. Has anyone in the "old E" seen Michelle Massey? I haven't and I am involved in various groups but maybe I just haven't run into her. Has she done anything?

Posted on: 2012/9/26 14:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/21 19:48
Group:
Registered Users
DUring the whole voting mess with people being sent to the wrong locations to vote, Councilwoman Massey's office was clueless and unresponsive. Steve Fulop's office responded quickly and efficiently -- to those of us in Ward F.

Posted on: 2012/9/26 12:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/19 17:53
Group:
Registered Users
[quote]
DanL wrote:
I do not know anything about this candidate, but I have known Michelle Massey for years through many different avenues and believe that she is the real deal.[quote]

She also was the deciding vote to keep peter brennan as council president on her very first vote as the newly hand picked rubber stamp of healy.
But i geuess as Dan is trying to suggest, you can do all good deeds up till the time you get in bed with thieves and still not be affected.

Someone has not only drank the kool-aid but is now trying to dispence it. Anybody but Massey

Posted on: 2012/9/26 10:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
I tried a web-search for "building an empire" as suggested, but am none the wiser, the results were all internet business directory spam sites, I couldn't find their actual website, or even a description of what "Building an Empire" does.

Perhaps someone could explain a little about it?

Robin.

Posted on: 2012/9/26 3:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DanL wrote:
I do not know anything about this candidate

Google "Building an Empire" and then you will. Diane has helped more than 8,000 people across the city in the fifteen years since she founded the group - help with navigating social services, job training, shelter for the homeless. People on the brink of falling permanently through the cracks. Doesn't get any "realer" than that.

Guess you've gone all-in with Healy.

Posted on: 2012/9/26 3:32

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/5 17:35
Group:
Registered Users
Not sure if Michele is running on Healy's ticket, but probably- he appointed her.

Diane Coleman is "the real deal" too (founder of JC's Building an Empire). Not sure what gives someone the qualities of "the real deal" but if one is interested in the opposite of Healy- look no further!

Posted on: 2012/9/25 17:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/7 4:11
Group:
Registered Users
Is Michele Massey running on the Healy ticket?

Posted on: 2012/9/25 16:23
I'm not perfect.....but I'm not all bad either.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I do not know anything about this candidate, but I have known Michelle Massey for years through many different avenues and believe that she is the real deal.

meet candidate for Ward F special election, Michelle Massey -

Jersey City native, Michele Massey grew up in Ward F, graduating both James F. Murray School (PS #38) and Snyder High School. Michele began her unexpected career in the arts as an usher at the Crossroads Theater Company while a student at Rutgers University in New Brunswick. Twelve years later, she left Crossroads as the Company/Tour Manager. In addition to the Crossroads Theater Company, Michele has also worked for the National Black Arts Festival in Winston-Salem, NC, and National Black Arts.

Michele joined first her block association after returning to Jersey City. Shortly after that, she became a member of the Monticello Avenue Steering Committee. Formed by area residents and property owners to address crime and blight along the once thriving corridor, the Steering Committee soon evolved into the Monticello Community Development Corporation (MCDC). Its mission was to encourage both public and private investment, which championed improvements such as fa?ade renovations and streetscape beautification projects. The MCDC revised Redevelopment Plan resulted in Monticello Avenue being awarded the only ?Main Street? designation in Hudson County by the State Department of Community Affairs? New Jersey Main Street Program. After ending her term as President of the MCDC Board, Michele became the Executive Director of the Monticello Avenue Main Street Program.

As the Main Street Director, Michele worked diligently with numerous City departments and agencies, as well as developers, property and business owners, and residents to encourage and implement projects that would physically and economically restore Monticello Avenue back to the proud, viable neighborhood shopping district it is today.

In addition to her work with the Main Street Program, Michele is also a founding member of Bergen Communities United (BCU), a collective of area organizations, block associations and other area stakeholders. Together they formed and implemented a Neighborhood Plan which was approved by the New Jersey Department of Community Affairs. As a result, BCU is currently the only state approved plan in Hudson County which has been designated to participate in the Neighborhood Revitalization Tax Credit Program.

Not to mention her work with Women Rising.

Posted on: 2012/9/25 15:43

Ward F (esp former E) voters-Diane Coleman in Nov
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/5 17:35
Group:
Registered Users
Nov 6- not only is this the presedential election, but voters in Ward F (inclusive of former Ward E districts), will have a chance to elect a council rep (rather than have a mayoral appointee)

If you are interested in progress and change, support Diane Coleman

Posted on: 2012/9/25 13:12

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017