Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
67 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 67

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Jersey City assemblyman calls Councilman Fulop 'un-American,'
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
Interesting to see how many 'newbies' giving political points of view !

Posted on: 2013/3/10 8:37
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/4/17 17:24
Group:
Registered Users
Good to see Mayor MCcann and Councilman Steven Fulop working together again. This can only be called "reform".

Posted on: 2013/3/10 2:09

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/4/17 17:24
Group:
Registered Users
Detective Conners very might well be the revitalizatonal reform that will push the Heights into the future.

Posted on: 2013/3/3 19:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/5/8 0:52
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
It is.

Following Sandy Connors broke with Healy, publicly stating that, essentially, Healy proved that he isnt capable of running the city during a disaster. It apparently opened his eyes to what the rest of us already knew... that Healy has done a crappy job running the city when there isnt a disaster going on as well.

Posted on: 2013/2/8 14:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
this is the same Sean Connors that is now running on the Fulop slate?

I'm confused

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... 13_fulo.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2013/2/8 2:26

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/10 23:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
How thoughtful of you Troll.

Posted on: 2013/2/8 0:01

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/18 5:21
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CAR285 wrote:
:crickets:

How thoughtful of you, CAR285. Having joined the list in silence two weeks ago, to think that you should be so kind as to resurrect threads dead for months and years. And out of the goodness of your heart, just to remind us that there is always a troll out there.

There is something sad in the troll's heart. Not able to speak directly, maligning others by habit, seldom seeing the good in anyone, one pities the poor troll.

Fear not, CAR285, for you are understood. We send you the best of wishes. We wish you have a peaceful election season, away from all the fuming and stress and accusations. But most of all, CAR285, we wish you a break from the thoughts which torment you, and the terrible, awful, sound of :crickets:.

Have a nice day!

Posted on: 2013/2/7 23:51

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/10 23:26
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
:crickets:

Posted on: 2013/2/7 22:48

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/16 3:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCRealist wrote:
Easy to say when you can afford the rent. There are jobs out there that are quite important yet pay a pittance. Are you suggesting a social worker go for a higher paying job just for the money? That being the case, no social workers would exist and the system would be a mess. Then people like you would be un an uproar because the city let kids slip through the system. The solution? Higher taxes to pay for higher salaries. Oh wait, you're looking for your Bush tax cuts and lower property taxes. When you sit down with someone who is honestly having a hard time times making ends meet, (not a career welfare check casher) then talk to me.

Your post boils down to "people want what they can't afford". Wishing it wasn't so or wanting someone else to foot the bill is irresponsible. However much I agree that bankers are overpaid and social workers are underpaid, that doesn't add up to "landlords need to give certain lucky people cheap rent". Why not "restaurants need to give certain deserving underpaid people half price food"? Why should I eat at McD's when they can pass a law that says I can eat cheap at Smith & Wollensky? And if you raised taxes and paid social workers like doctors, there would still be legions of very nice people toiling underpaid in rewarding careers they chose, but not for the government.

Posted on: 2012/9/12 4:36

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/1 3:20
Group:
Registered Users
Easy to say when you can afford the rent. There are jobs out there that are quite important yet pay a pittance. Are you suggesting a social worker go for a higher paying job just for the money? That being the case, no social workers would exist and the system would be a mess. Then people like you would be un an uproar because the city let kids slip through the system. The solution? Higher taxes to pay for higher salaries. Oh wait, you're looking for your Bush tax cuts and lower property taxes. When you sit down with someone who is honestly having a hard time times making ends meet, (not a career welfare check casher) then talk to me.

Posted on: 2012/9/12 4:18

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/16 3:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCRealist wrote:
Your missing the point of affordable housing. Keep on making high price rents and people of lower income wont be able to afford ANY housing which is arguably discriminatory.

ANY housing? Or just housing where they'd like to be? Is there a right to be in Downtown rather than Greenville or Essex County? I'm here in JC because I couldn't afford to live where I'd prefer. Is that discriminatory, or just reality for anyone in the 99%? There's people in Manhattan's storied neighborhoods who whine that they couldn't afford to live there without rent stabilization, yet many I know have weekend homes bought with their landlords money. This boon isn't handled in any rational way, its basically a black market for insiders. The neighbor of a colleague died and I got hear the blow by blow of the maneuverings to get his cheap apartment and add it to their own. And this couple made plenty.

If society decides to subsidize rents, it should foot the bill via section 8 or similar, rather than tell property owners that it's their problem. It reminds me of how hospitals give astronomical medical bills to the solvent sick to subsidize the insolvent sick, rather than society at large picking up the tab.

Posted on: 2012/9/12 4:10

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/3/1 3:20
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Quote:
JadedJC wrote: I once lived in a rental in Greenwich Village that had a certain number of units set aside as affordable housing units. My understanding is that these units weren't for people on public assistance, but working people whose incomes fell below a certain threshold. Most often they're people like teachers and fire fighters. The unit next door to mine was an affordable unit and the guy who lived there was a social worker. He was a decent, hard-working guy and certainly a better neighbor than the douchey hedge-fund guy upstairs who threw loud obnoxious parties and whose guests left the lobby a mess. I daresay my social worker neighbor worked harder to earn his living than the hedge fund guy. So, no, I don't begrudge him the below-market apartment. To me, it was more than fair: he did a job for the city that few of us would want to do at relatively low pay. The least the city could do was offer him an affordable shot at living in the community he served. But this was NYC, I don't even know if JC has anything even remotely like this.

Not to throw this off topic again but that is the exact attitude that independents like myself hate from extreme liberals.

So you deserve luxury housing at a discount if you're a firefighter or a teacher? How about a soup kitchen worker or a daycare provider? So should Mother Theresa get free housing? How about a doctor that saves lives? How about illegal immigrants who actually do the jobs no Americans do - maybe they should receive everything for free. Which committee chooses who gets what for a discount?

You may not believe it but you sound exactly like a Republican who wants to decide who gets married. Just as prejudiced and downright racist.

So we should just crucify all hedge fund guys? How do you know he wasn't hard working? Was his name Bernie Maddoff?

And in response to JPHurst - regardless of rentals or condos, they are all below market value.

Again, affordable housing in luxury condos/rentals is like feeding the poor with caviar - its' downright dumb and the definition of social engineering. If you hate a group of people, whether they be immigrant, black, asian, OR RICH, you are prejudice and also slightly jealous. Go get a job to earn enough to live with the "douchey hedge fund" guys instead of bagging on them. It'll be better for the economy.

Your missing the point of affordable housing. Keep on making high price rents and people of lower income wont be able to afford ANY housing which is arguably discriminatory.

Posted on: 2012/9/12 3:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
JadedJC wrote: I once lived in a rental in Greenwich Village that had a certain number of units set aside as affordable housing units. My understanding is that these units weren't for people on public assistance, but working people whose incomes fell below a certain threshold. Most often they're people like teachers and fire fighters. The unit next door to mine was an affordable unit and the guy who lived there was a social worker. He was a decent, hard-working guy and certainly a better neighbor than the douchey hedge-fund guy upstairs who threw loud obnoxious parties and whose guests left the lobby a mess. I daresay my social worker neighbor worked harder to earn his living than the hedge fund guy. So, no, I don't begrudge him the below-market apartment. To me, it was more than fair: he did a job for the city that few of us would want to do at relatively low pay. The least the city could do was offer him an affordable shot at living in the community he served. But this was NYC, I don't even know if JC has anything even remotely like this.

Not to throw this off topic again but that is the exact attitude that independents like myself hate from extreme liberals.

So you deserve luxury housing at a discount if you're a firefighter or a teacher? How about a soup kitchen worker or a daycare provider? So should Mother Theresa get free housing? How about a doctor that saves lives? How about illegal immigrants who actually do the jobs no Americans do - maybe they should receive everything for free. Which committee chooses who gets what for a discount?

You may not believe it but you sound exactly like a Republican who wants to decide who gets married. Just as prejudiced and downright racist.

So we should just crucify all hedge fund guys? How do you know he wasn't hard working? Was his name Bernie Maddoff?

And in response to JPHurst - regardless of rentals or condos, they are all below market value.

Again, affordable housing in luxury condos/rentals is like feeding the poor with caviar - its' downright dumb and the definition of social engineering. If you hate a group of people, whether they be immigrant, black, asian, OR RICH, you are prejudice and also slightly jealous. Go get a job to earn enough to live with the "douchey hedge fund" guys instead of bagging on them. It'll be better for the economy.

Posted on: 2012/9/11 18:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Would anyone like to discuss Conners 6 figure salary or how before he got the city car and carte blanc to do whatever he wants that he was the king of off duty jobs. Howz about discussing the two girffriends and frriends he got jobs for. Howz about discussing his unsuccessfully trying to run for all kinds of elected offices and failing before he pressed the Easy button.

True to the teachings of his god, Nutzy McCan, all publicity good or bad is a great thing as long as your name is in print. Want this idiot to go away? Just ignore him. He'll be curled up in a corner, thumb in mouth, crying like a little baby.

Posted on: 2012/9/10 11:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Political Insider: Romney like? Calling Fulop names is latest tactic

Sunday, September 09, 2012, 4:26 PM
By Agustin C. Torres/The Jersey Journal

Assemblyman Sean Connors of the 33rd District, who is a Democrat and Jersey City resident, says Downtown Councilman Steven Fulop is as un-American as they come.

In an email and later in interviews, the state lawmaker said Fulop's DNA is very much like Gov. and presidential candidate Mitt Romney, whose world is among rich people and out off touch with the average person. The councilman was also called a "1 percenter" -- as opposed to a 99 percent proofer.

I thought Fulop was a fellow Democrat who is running in a nonpartisan election. But then again, city election literature of the recent past loved to mention that their incumbent candidate is a Democrat. Still, even the Huffington Post made reference to this Jersey City exchange, as evidence of how another Democrat is being accused of being un-American.

Connors said his accusation was more about political philosophy than any subversion. He was reacting to Fulop's reaction to a bunch of Hudson County Democratic Organization leadership endorsements of incumbent Mayor Jerramiah Healy's re-election effort. The assemblyman and detective was among those endorsers. The others were HCDeadO Chairman and Bayonne Mayor Mark Smith, County Executive Tom DeGise, Assemblyman Jason O'Donnell of the 31st District and Bayonne, and county Freeholder Jeff Dublin. Maybe it's an Irish -- plus Dublin -- thing.

Odd that the group includes two Peninsula City pols who decided to get involved in a neighboring community's local election. I would have thought that Smith's father-in-law, former freeholder and advisor, Neil Carroll, would have counseled him to stay out of it.

Is Connor's criticism of Fulop hyperbole? He takes umbrage at the councilman's comments that those who endorsed the mayor are career politicians with "15 jobs between them." The Journal says it is more like eight taxpaying jobs and one on disability. We didn't count family members.

Connors said those who endorsed Healy were government workers before winning elected jobs. He felt that the councilman is among those who attack firefighters, teachers and other civil servant workers -- although I think Fulop is very surgical about who he criticizes.

"I studied and took police exams to advance myself and others either took licensing exams and were trained," Connors said. It's the American way.

He even went a step further and talked about Fulop taking a leave from "Wall Street" (two words often used in Democratic Party evil incantations), where the detective claims the councilman and former Marine earned $600,000-plus. Fulop says he earned less, and notes that his family are immigrants earning a living by owning a "bodega." Or did he mean deli?

So, what was Connors thinking? There's nothing about his criticism of Fulop or his endorsement of Healy that will benefit the assemblyman's career. He said the endorsement was based on Healy's ability to take the pulse of the city and its residents and know what has to be done. Whereas I believe the city and its residents sometimes have to take the mayor's pulse.

What's this confrontation all about?

It is about desperation and money. In past columns, I've written that Healy has to prove to others in his backers and other Dem groups that he has a chance to win re-election. He has a deadline -- about Oct. 1 -- to come up with somewhere between $300,00 to $400,000 in campaign money to be given any kind of shot. He will fall short unless he and his people can keep the election alive in the minds of city residents and generate funding. It's tough raising money when there's a presidential election and U.S. Sen. Robert Menendez wants Hudson Democrats to concentrate on his campaign.

The attacks on Fulop, groundbreakings, ribbon-cuttings, photo-ops, and generating as much publicity as possible, is necessary to maintain enough CPR to keep Healy's campaign alive. Healy would love another term, which would make him second only to Frank Hague as the mayor with the most time in the Jersey City office.

Connors is an assemblyman in the 33rd District, where Union City Mayor and Sen. Brian Stack rules, and while some claim better relations between the two, Stack is only tolerant. The Union City powertician was forced to accept Connors as part of the peace pact between the senator and the HCDeadO, but there are just so many times you can wander off the 33rd District reservation.

There is an ongoing cold war between 32nd District Sen. and North Bergen Mayor Nick Sacco and Stack. The friction is evidenced by such forays as Stack pushing for legislation to protect the Palisades that is being carved up by North Bergen developers, with Sacco's approval. North Bergen is suing Union City for being late with nearly $6 million in payments to the North Hudson Regional Fire and Rescue.

How soon before the two senators find a way to fight over Connors' backing of Healy.

Sources say that Jersey City Councilman Bill Gaughan has shown some interest in Connors' Assembly seat, although it is the opinion here that Stack would never let it happen.

I'll admit that if you name six people who are credible candidates for mayor in the county seat, Connors' name would pop up. But, he's swimming with the sharks and it now becomes a question of his survival.

INSIDER NOTES:
-- Jersey City political activist Joe Cardwell has been back in the city for two weeks now after serving his six-month federal sentence for taking $10,000 in bribes. So what could be next for the man who was/is a political consigliere for state Sen. Sandra Cunningham?

Here's an idea. He could find a meaningful job now that he's back in society. Perhaps there is one out there, something like director of a Second Chance Office in the Jersey City Incinerator Authority. Of course, it would be created just for him because of all the political credit he has accumulated. At least all those JCIA job furloughs can pay for such a post. Just supposing because no one is really planning to do it, right ;)

-- As predicted in a previous column, 31st District Assemblyman Charles Mainor did lose his chief of staff when the still capable jump-shooting Courtney Wicks resigned nearly two weeks ago. It is more proof that Mainor is dead legislator walking in the eyes of the HCDeadO, a group that is anxious to replace him with someone who can bring more to the table -- votes or, more likely, money. It's all up to Smith.

-- Did you know these factoids about Ralph Scianni, sworn in as the city's police chief on Thursday? On that day, Sept. 6, the city marks its 143rd anniversary. It is also the exact same day Scianni, 58, joined the force in 1980. Last but not least, it's the chief's birthday. How 'bout that.

-- I was away last week when literature started popping up in municipalities surrounding Union City that accuses Stack of hurting everyone on the planet because his city is late paying close to $6 million of what it owes annually to North Hudson Regional and Fire. eventually the money gets paid but Sacco is pushing the issue enough to spend money on the literature. I don't know who authored the documentation but I got to believe it's Vision Media. What next, Radio Free Union City? And I can guarantee you that Stack will have a counter punch down the short road in this "cold war."

-- Also about a week ago, Stack held a fund-raiser for his civic association at The Assembly in Englewood Cliffs. He told the crowd that he regrets not forcefully confronting his HCDeadO opponents a few years ago. Frothing up his audience, Stack added that now was the time to "take out the bats," sounding a bit like Gov. Christie talking about Sen. Loretta Weinberg, last year. Sacco's name was not mentioned.

-- Now that Cardwell is back and the November and May elections are approaching, when do we see a revival of the controversial Urban Times News in Jersey City's black community? There's lots of dirty work that needs to be done and it's always entertaining, if they know it or not.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/voices/index ... _insider_romney_like.html

Posted on: 2012/9/10 2:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/31 23:18
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PlainSlice wrote:
Calling someone "Un-American" just indicates you got nothing. Sean Connors should be ashamed of himself.

But if he's not ashamed of his do-nothing record, his criminal pals, his double-dipping pension-padding taxpayer-funded "jobs," then it's no wonder he'll smear Steve Fulop's military service, his integrity, and his record of fighting for the people of Jersey City.

Expect more last desperate gasps from the do-nothing, know-nothing, sell-out-everything broken-down Healy machine.

Just imagine the Healy machine. There are probably so many developers, contractors, services, businesses on the Healy "bat phone" getting favors and the pay off's probably run deep with all the cronies - they have to get back in to office - past promises probably came with $$ in envelopes and if they haven't delivered all the promises yet but the payment plan has been put in place - what's the pay off worth? I betcha this will get very dirty, underhanded and potentially frightening - I'd imagine there's a lot at stake if this mayor and all the people connected with him don't get their opportunity to keep the machine going. The best part about it will be to watch these thugs try and get with the 21st century and two finger type on message boards to try and bring Fulop down. If they could fax and phone insults it would be way easier for them. Waiver: All hypothetical of course.

Posted on: 2012/9/8 16:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mrrogers wrote:
Quote:

darenot wrote:
Awesome. Connors is the poster child for everything wrong with Hudson county politics: he's the not particularly bright nephew of an ex mayor who was convicted of bank fraud and is a master of dirty political tricks. Connors has been pushed on us by the machine again & again to pad his resume till he looks substantial enough to run for mayor. Makes one wonder about the merit of that detective shield. And then he has the stones to accuse someone who volunteered for the Marines DURING WARTIME of being un-american!!

Well said. This creep has run for six elected positions while never having arrested anyone. His main job is standing outside construction sites directing traffic and talking to Jerry McCann about politics.

He owes that detective shield to a nice sized check written to Ron Buonocore. He then turned around and tried to screw Ron. He owes any election wins to the hcdo, a group he used to denounce.

Jerry McCan is pushing Connors to run for higher office. Everyone knows Connors is as stupid as a stump and McCan is unelectable. Getting Connors elected assures McCan a job and control over whatever office all the giggly girls and drunks push the button for.

Posted on: 2012/9/8 12:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/19 17:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

darenot wrote:
Awesome. Connors is the poster child for everything wrong with Hudson county politics: he's the not particularly bright nephew of an ex mayor who was convicted of bank fraud and is a master of dirty political tricks. Connors has been pushed on us by the machine again & again to pad his resume till he looks substantial enough to run for mayor. Makes one wonder about the merit of that detective shield. And then he has the stones to accuse someone who volunteered for the Marines DURING WARTIME of being un-american!!

Well said. This creep has run for six elected positions while never having arrested anyone. His main job is standing outside construction sites directing traffic and talking to Jerry McCann about politics.

Posted on: 2012/9/8 4:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PlainSlice wrote:
Calling someone "Un-American" just indicates you got nothing. Sean Connors should be ashamed of himself.

But if he's not ashamed of his do-nothing record, his criminal pals, his double-dipping pension-padding taxpayer-funded "jobs," then it's no wonder he'll smear Steve Fulop's military service, his integrity, and his record of fighting for the people of Jersey City.

Expect more last desperate gasps from the do-nothing, know-nothing, sell-out-everything broken-down Healy machine.

+1 Plain Slice

PATROLMAN Conners is a disgrace.

Posted on: 2012/9/8 1:33

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/9/7 16:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/27 23:03
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Frank_M wrote:
Quote:

stillinjc wrote:
Demonizing the "rich" - WTF - over $250K/year you are rich in NYC - you have to be kidding me - that's TAKING.

That's TAKING from those who ACTUALLY WORK their asses off, to give to those who don't give a SHITE.

That's un-American. And that is the crux of this election.

Take it from those who have worked and actually BUILT something, and give it to those who feel they are ENTITLED to MY money.

Take it from you--what does that mean? Are you a unique authority on working for a living?

You can believe the crux of the election is whatever you please, but that same line of nearsighted reasoning didn?t lend much genuine credibility to the late Alisa Rosenbaum either. Smart lady, but it?s been my observation that the rancor she possessed for the tragically flawed government of her home country permanently skewed her compass, clouded her vision, and limited her perspective.

I actually look at the whole of Europe as a symbol of failure of the ethos of a big, I-will-take-care-of-you, government.

Don't be fooled, Europe is not failing because of some "crisis", it is failing because their bloated, corrupt governments cannot pay their debts. They have spent like drunken sailors on social services and "free" health care, and went broke doing it. And so they tax, and tax, and tax (see France). An economic death spiral, really.

Obama wants the US to be more like Europe.

What sense does it make in light of what is happening there? I mean, really. You have a perfect example of whole economies falling into a black hole, and yet you want to go there. Sheep falling of the cliff.

Posted on: 2012/9/7 15:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/7 4:11
Group:
Registered Users
It doesn't matter whether the attacks on Mr Fulop are relevant or even true. The attacking is being done to water down the effect of the very relevant disclosure of this administrations shameful behaviors. When a politician is dirty, he starts a mud fight. Mr Healy and his band of political hacks are filthy.

Posted on: 2012/9/7 15:12
I'm not perfect.....but I'm not all bad either.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
I once lived in a rental in Greenwich Village that had a certain number of units set aside as affordable housing units. My understanding is that these units weren't for people on public assistance, but working people whose incomes fell below a certain threshold. Most often they're people like teachers and fire fighters. The unit next door to mine was an affordable unit and the guy who lived there was a social worker. He was a decent, hard-working guy and certainly a better neighbor than the douchey hedge-fund guy upstairs who threw loud obnoxious parties and whose guests left the lobby a mess. I daresay my social worker neighbor worked harder to earn his living than the hedge fund guy. So, no, I don't begrudge him the below-market apartment. To me, it was more than fair: he did a job for the city that few of us would want to do at relatively low pay. The least the city could do was offer him an affordable shot at living in the community he served. But this was NYC, I don't even know if JC has anything even remotely like this.

Posted on: 2012/9/7 14:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:

Now in regards to affordable housing in luxury condos - that is like feeding the hungry with caviar. It makes absolutely no sense and it breeds a sense of getting things, in this case, expensive things, without earning it. You live in a luxury condo at below market rate which is great for you but what is the motivation for you to get a job with a higher income, pay more in taxes, put more in the economy, etc.

One initial point. Most though not all of the integrated affordable housing units are in rentals, not condos. I believe at 140 Bay, the city actually took ownership of the handful of affordable units for artists to lease them out, but that's the exception not the rule.

But to answer your question. What is the motivation? Because that person may still want and need other things. A car, a chance to travel, money to pay for her kid's tuition, etc.

I would be very interested in seeing the differences in job habits, income mobility, etc, differ between low income residents in "80-20" housing in NYC as opposed to low income workers in public housing as opposed to low income workers on Section 8, etc. I honestly don't know the answer.

Quote:

Also, how do you think others in the building feel about that - others who pay market rate...

I don't know. I certainly wouldn't begrudge it if, say, 10-20% of the units in my building were set aside for affordable housing. As I said above, in a condo it would be tricky to have so many units held by the developer or some government agency, but in a rental, not a problem at all. Maybe others would feel different. I doubt it would effect their behavior. I doubt the investment banker with his market rate apartment would decide NOT to work on the assumption that he could get the same apartment just because a few apartments are set aside for low-income.

Posted on: 2012/9/7 14:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/5 14:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stillinjc wrote:
Demonizing the "rich" - WTF - over $250K/year you are rich in NYC - you have to be kidding me - that's TAKING.

That's TAKING from those who ACTUALLY WORK their asses off, to give to those who don't give a SHITE.

Take it from those who have worked and actually BUILT something, and give it to those who feel they are ENTITLED to MY money.

Take it from you--what does that mean? Are you a unique authority on working for a living?

You can believe the crux of the election is whatever you please, but that same line of nearsighted reasoning didn?t lend much genuine credibility to the late Alisa Rosenbaum either. Smart lady, but it?s been my observation that the rancor she possessed for the tragically flawed government of her home country permanently skewed her compass, clouded her vision, and limited her perspective.

Posted on: 2012/9/7 14:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
At the heart of the political rhetoric is a good question. How do you compensate elected public representatives in a way that levels the playing field?

Posted on: 2012/9/7 4:36

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MikeyTBC wrote:
Quote:

stillinjc wrote:
No, Brewster, to me being American means low taxes on small businesses, which are a backbone of America. Are they not?

Class warfare, if you ask me.

To quote Mayor Booker:
"...when your country is in a costly war, with our soldiers sacrificing abroad and our nation facing a debt crisis at home, being asked to pay your fair share isn't class warfare?it's patriotism."

I don't want us to be in any of these wars, though...

Posted on: 2012/9/7 4:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/16 20:23
From not downtown
Group:
Registered Users
The "affordable housing" thing has nothing to do with city policy. It was the outcome of years of negotiating after 111 First Street (the mecca of the Jersey City arts scene) was demolished. At the time the building was being demolished, Healy pledged to perserve the area as a center for the arts. Of course, he did not keep his pledge. And, rather than stand up to a greedy developer, the City caved and accepted a few measly units. The original pledge was to make available affordable units for career artists who were ousted from the old building. This morphed to "affordable housing."

But this is way off topic. The thread is about a slimy comment made by a Healy surrrogate. Since the Healy camp can't refute years of rampant corruption, they will resort to anything to hold on to their multiple jobs and pensions. They don't like anyone holding up a mirror and stating the obvious.

Unfortunately, Jersey City has a sad history of allowing these clowns to stay in office. But, with a genius spokeman like Sean Connors leading the charge, perhaps this will change.

Posted on: 2012/9/7 3:43
I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.
W. C. Fields

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Where's Fulop's birth certificate?

Posted on: 2012/9/7 3:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
JPHurst - two wrongs don't make a right. I don't think every development and developer deserve abatements and tax breaks. Some do - because the initial investment for developers is not worth the risk. 20 years ago developers in newport for example NEEDED abatements - it was a good move for jersey city. Neighborhoods such as the PAD and liberty harbor north still need the abatements.

Now in regards to affordable housing in luxury condos - that is like feeding the hungry with caviar. It makes absolutely no sense and it breeds a sense of getting things, in this case, expensive things, without earning it. You live in a luxury condo at below market rate which is great for you but what is the motivation for you to get a job with a higher income, pay more in taxes, put more in the economy, etc. Also, how do you think others in the building feel about that - others who pay market rate...

When cities try to "ensure" things like affordable housing, it messes everything up. Look at NYC. You have rent controlled apts where lawyers and doctors live...does that make any sense? Taking market rate units off the market actually increases the price of the remaining units - which is the exact opposite of what you were hoping to do...

In summary, if you want to feed a person, you DON'T give them food everyday until they die, you teach them how to farm and give them the tools (investment) necessary so they can learn how to farm.

People complain that rents are too high are looking at it from a wrong perspective. Incomes are actually too low and that is our problem.

As a person who wants JC to grow, YOU WANT rents and property values to be AS HIGH as possible. Unless you think 99 cent stores is progress...if you do then there's no need to talk to me anymore..

Posted on: 2012/9/7 2:21

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017