Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
111 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...

Browsing this Thread:   2 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 »

Re: Dan Levin in talks to run with Healy
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 20:29
Group:
Registered Users
Dan Levin is done in Jersey City.

He couldn't make it on his own so he joined the corruption crew?

Pathetic disappointment.

Posted on: 2012/10/10 21:03

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/20 14:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
Quote:

jadedgal wrote:

I have interacted wit him. He once gave me a 10 minute lecture on why I need to support charter schools. If I knew then, what I know now, I would have told him to leave me alone and get his drinking tolerance up.

I'm curious as to when that was. It's interesting because Dan has been a strong supporter of public schools. He actually chose to remove his kids from LCCS and put them into P.S. 37 (mostly due to geographic reasons, as I understand it).

About 3 years ago.

Posted on: 2012/10/10 21:00

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/18 23:11
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneOBall wrote:
You clearly don't know Dan and you clearly don't know JC politics. The fact that you are joining this discussion as your second post on this site confirms that.

Call me a troll, call me clueless, but I've lived in JC for 20 years and I know what stinks.

And I thought I knew Dan. I knew a guy who called for Healy to resign because his administration was full of cronies and crooks. I thought I knew a guy who knew better than to think you could reform this bunch from the inside. I thought I knew a guy who cared more about the issue than his ambition.

But you know the sad truth of the matter? Dan tells it himself.

Dan Levin: ?[Fulop] chose to pass on the opportunity to bring my knowledge, skills, experience and values into his efforts."

Talk about an inflated sense of ego. Real world translation: "It's last call, and the guy I wanted didn't pick me, so I'm getting into bed with anyone who'll buy me a drink."

Posted on: 2012/10/10 20:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Dan Levin - redefining the phrase "Whatever it takes"

I think Dan made a huge miscalculation. Whatever good Dan has done in the past will be overshadowed by the enormous amount of wrong Healy has done. So instead of talking about his past good, like he would of wanted, he will be spending time talking about and defending Healy, which can't be something he wants to or likes to do...

all of this for what..? To get on a major ticket for a chance for power?

gl to you Dan, I hope you are not taking notes from JCFree...

Posted on: 2012/10/10 20:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Downtown Jersey City activist joins Jersey City Mayor Healy's slate

October 10, 2012, 12:45 PM
By The Jersey Journal

JERSEY CITY-- Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy announced today that community activist and Ward E candidate has joined his 2013 council slate, making Levin the first-announced member of the mayor's council ticket.

?Jersey City has come a long way and is moving in the right direction. I?m looking forward to working with Mayor Healy,? Levin said in a statement. ?Together, we?ll roll up our sleeves, bringing about green and sustainable ways to make our city an even better place for all who live here. We?ll keep the progress going by fighting for stable taxes, sensible spending and sound solutions. Let us come together as one Jersey City.?

A former mayoral candidate, Levin has lived in Jersey City for 16 years, the release states.

He and his wife, Leonila Paunil, send their children Isabella, age 10, and John, age 12 to School 37 Cordero School and Middle School 4 Franklin School. For 10 years, as a small business owner, Levin ran and operated a custom picture frame store in Hoboken. He also served as vice president of the Hoboken Chamber of Congress.

Levin is also a past president of Civic JC ? a city-wide good government organization. Levin helped found Bike JC and is a founding board of director for the Jersey City Landmarks Conservancy ? where he continues to serve on the advisory board, the release states.

Levin also served as president of the Harsimus Cove Association, a Downtown neighborhood association.

?Dan Levin knows real leadership means working towards solutions, not merely pointing out problems. That?s what genuine reform and good government is truly all about,? said Mayor Healy. ?Dan?s run a small business, so he understands the struggles of his neighbors. Like me - and like my own children are doing today - Dan?s raising his family here in Jersey City. Dan Levin will be a terrific voice for Downtown families and the residents of Ward E.?

Ward E incumbent, Steven Fulop, is running for mayor.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... rsey_city_activist_1.html

Posted on: 2012/10/10 20:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Levin joins Healy to keep the progress going in Jersey City (JERSEY CITY, NJ) ? Today, Mayor Jerramiah Healy announced community activist Ward E candidate Dan Levin as the first member of his 2013 council slate. Together, Healy and Levin will continue the progress being made to keep moving Jersey City in the right direction as a safe, vibrant place to live, work, visit and raise a family. ?Jersey City has come a long way and is moving in the right direction. I?m looking forward to working with Mayor Healy,? said Levin. ?Together, we?ll roll up our sleeves, bringing about green and sustainable ways to make our city an even better place for all who live here. We?ll keep the progress going by fighting for stable taxes, sensible spending and sound solutions. Let us come together as one Jersey City.? A noted community activist and organizer, Dan Levin has lived in Jersey City for 16 years. He and his wife, Leonila Paunil, send their children Isabella, age 10, and John, age 12 to PS 37 Cordero School and MS 4 Franklin School. For ten years, as a small business owner, Levin ran and operated a custom picture frame store in Hoboken. He also served as vice-president of the Hoboken Chamber of Congress. Dan Levin is a hands-on leader dedicated to making life better for his Ward E neighborhood and all the families who live in Jersey City. Levin is founder and past president of Civic JC ? a city-wide good government organization. Levin helped found Bike JC and is a founding board of director for the Jersey City Landmarks Conservancy ? where he continues to serve on the advisory board. He also served as president of the Harsimus Cove Association ? a downtown neighborhood association ? where he spearheaded the design of the successful and heavily-used multi-functional plaza at the Grove Street Path Station. Levin previously ran for Mayor in 2009 and for an at-large City Council seat in 2010. ?Dan Levin knows real leadership means working towards solutions, not merely pointing out problems. That?s what genuine reform and good government is truly all about,? said Mayor Healy. ?Dan?s run a small business, so he understands the struggles of his neighbors. Like me ? and like my own children are doing today ? Dan?s raising his family here in Jersey City. Dan Levin will be a terrific voice for downtown families and the residents of Ward E.? ?First-hand, I?ve seen Mayor Healy handle adversity and lead us through rough financial times that wrecked havoc on other cities,? said Levin. ?It?s no secret that, over the years, I?ve disagreed with Mayor Healy on a few things. But, I?ve always been impressed with how he never personally attacks his critics and is always open to discussion. Every day, Mayor Healy is working hard to make life better for all who call Jersey City home, who work here, and who are raising their families here. That?s why Mayor Healy has won so many people over. That?s why he won me over. And that is why I am proud to join the Healy Team.? Mayor Healy and Dan Levin already have a history of working together for the best interests of Jersey City. They worked together on saving Power House and renovating Hamilton Park. And both have shown leadership during times of fiscal austerity to continue the efforts to save the 6th Street embankment and turn it into a park. Healy and Levin are both motivated by doing what is best for Jersey City?s families and putting the public good first. Unlike some who give lip service to issues to score cheap political points and generate headlines, Healy and Levin actually follow through to provide results. As Ward E Councilman, Levin will continue working with Mayor Healy on the 6th Street embankment and bringing down crime. He?ll also work with Healy to continue committing Jersey City to the highest standards of ethical, open and transparent government. Levin wants to expand pay-to-pay laws to cover the Board of Education and for the city to adopt a stricter ethics code. Please continue checking MayorHealy.com for the latest campaign updates, endorsements and news. With Mayor Healy leading the way, Jersey City continues to be recognized as a world-class city and model for development and revitalization. Mayor Healy?s making a real difference ? whether its getting guns off our streets, reducing crime, creating new parks, protecting our urban environment or keeping taxes stable. In fact, this year, Moody?s upgraded Jersey City?s bond outlook to positive. * * * * * In November 2004, Jerramiah T. Healy became mayor in a special election to finish out the unexpired term of the late Mayor Glenn Cunningham who died in office. Six months later, he was re-elected to a full term by a record landslide. And in 2009, Mayor Healy was again re-elected by a resounding margin and without a runoff election. http://www.mayorhealy.com/mayor-healy ... er-of-2013-council-slate/

Posted on: 2012/10/10 20:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jadedgal wrote:

I have interacted wit him. He once gave me a 10 minute lecture on why I need to support charter schools. If I knew then, what I know now, I would have told him to leave me alone and get his drinking tolerance up.

I'm curious as to when that was. It's interesting because Dan has been a strong supporter of public schools. He actually chose to remove his kids from LCCS and put them into P.S. 37 (mostly due to geographic reasons, as I understand it).

Posted on: 2012/10/10 20:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/24 18:16
From "Pay for Play"
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

crockofsomething wrote:
Quote:

OneOBall wrote:
I find it laughable you would call out Dan for his decision to put himself on a ticket.

Dan joining a ticket isn't the problem. It's Healy's ticket.

Maybe Dan thinks he can dive into a cesspool and come up without any stink. Too late for that.

His self-serving comments about what Healy's done for the city mean that the Danny Boy we once knew is dead and gone.

Resized Image

Shirley Stoler and Giancarlo Giannini
Director: (Lina Wertm?ller, 1975)
Movie: (Seven Beauties)

Posted on: 2012/10/10 20:09
Resized Image
Help US Sue Spectra! Join OR Donate!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
I am a supporter of Steve's. I am also personal friends with both Dan Levin and Candice Osborne. I've known Dan longer. Candice is cuter. I guess that makes it a wash....

I think legitimate questions can be raised about running on a ticket of the mayor whom you claimed had to resign earlier.

Nevertheless, I cannot help but feel that many of the posts attacking Dan are a textbook example of concern trolling. I don't know the identity of everyone on this board, but I do know plenty. And many of the people lamenting Dan's loss of integrity are Team Fulop partisans who didn't like Dan in the first place, or who somewhat like him but feel their primary loyalty is to Steve and the ticket (and that's not necessarily a bad thing, loyalty has it's place in politics).

I still am not comfortable with Dan running on Healy's ticket, and have told him so. Nevertheless, I also reject the proposition that Dan has to subjugate his chances of serving in office because Steve didn't put him on his ticket. Team Fulop, which I support by and large, does not get an automatic monopoly on "reform" in this town.

Dan may lose some votes over this decision. But face it, most of the people decrying this decision were never going to vote for him anyway. You know who you are.

Posted on: 2012/10/10 20:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/19 17:53
Group:
Registered Users
Just want to add some historical points here.Everyone who knows both steve and Dan knows there has never been any great love there.Dan worked hard for Jr Moldanado in his race against Fulop in 2005.
While they have worked on some of the same goals it has not been as a team and Dan has stated many time that he does not like Fulop.
He never by his own admission on this thread reached out to get on Fulops ticket.
Why would Fulop help dan with Money and volunteers get elected when he knows that dan dislikes him.

The bigger question should be why Healy would want him on the ticket if he was not desperate.He will use Dan to hide behind whenever he is called out on his ethics.

When this is over in Seven months Dan Levin will be ethiclly
Bankrupt.

Posted on: 2012/10/10 20:05

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneOBall wrote:
If you think he's drinking the kool aid, I suggest you interact with him. The great thing about local politics is that you can actually have conversations. Dan Levin is my vote for any position he runs for. I have endorsed him with my votes and my pocketbook and I will continue to do just that. I would suggest that anyone who doubts his intentions look up his One Jersey City Facebook group.

Posted on: 2012/10/10 19:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users
This only proves that Fulop isn't as adept at running a machine like Healy....but I suspect that he will adapt to this very quickly.

Like I have said before Fulop could beat Healy but he needs his machine to pull in some of Healy's allies or support...other wise it will be very close. And probably Healy will win it.

Posted on: 2012/10/10 19:42

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/5/19 16:52
Group:
Registered Users
If you think he's drinking the kool aid, I suggest you interact with him. The great thing about local politics is that you can actually have conversations. Dan Levin is my vote for any position he runs for. I have endorsed him with my votes and my pocketbook and I will continue to do just that. I would suggest that anyone who doubts his intentions look up his One Jersey City Facebook group.

Posted on: 2012/10/10 19:36

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Lol. Then I guess I am ahead of the game..I am also pro cat too. Still doesn't! Change the fact, that I think Dan levin is a sell out. And pompous to boot.

Posted on: 2012/10/10 19:36

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 17:00
Group:
Registered Users
Jadedgal,

It seems that you haven't been on jclist that long.

ANYTHING pro-dog is considered activism here.

Posted on: 2012/10/10 19:31

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Mr. Otis, I have lived in Ward E for 15 years, just because I have never heard of you
doesn't mean I am not involved. I guess you count spaying and neutering of stray animals as activism. I too know Dan levin and he knows me. I voted for him last time, I will not be voting for him as long as he aligns himself with this Mayor. I think Dan levin has drank the kool-aid.

Posted on: 2012/10/10 19:27

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I may not be a heavy poster, but I have identified myself and I have been here for almost 8 years. If you think Fulop hasn't compromised, you aren't paying attention. He started on the Glenn Cunningham ticket. I'm not in love with Fulop, but he is the best mayoral candidate in my 22 years in JC. I will happily vote for him. But to raise Fulop high and damn Levin? They have both compromised. Welcome to the machine.

Posted on: 2012/10/10 19:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/16 20:23
From not downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Otis, I know Dan and I know Jersey City politics, and this stinks.

I like Dan and I think he has sincerely tried to help improve things downtown. Dan has shown up for a lot of things that I agree with him on.

But, I will not be supporting him.

Although Dan is a BIG step up from the last person Healy backed for Ward E (Guy Catrillo), we do not need any more Healy associates in city hall.

This is a very cynical ploy by Healy to divide downtown and I am sad that Dan agreed to play along (but truly, actions speak louder than words). I understand that Dan wants to continue to help improve Jersey City. I hope this will continue to be as an un-elected community organizer.

The Healy team is counting on people being disgusted with politics and not showing up at the polls. Let's prove them wrong.

Posted on: 2012/10/10 19:22
I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.
W. C. Fields

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneOBall wrote:
You clearly don't know Dan and you clearly don't know JC politics. The fact that you are joining this discussion as your second post on this site confirms that.

I guess 14 posts is the magic number for demonstrating local political knowledge? I know Dan and Dan knows who I am. All that aside, the idea you can't win as an independent is poppycock. Fulop has done it twice and is running off the line again. Lavarro just won without institutional support - to a lesser extent, so did Viola Richardson although she clearly benefits from having a machine-built name.

It most certainly can be done - and what better demonstration of that then by the guy who actually holds the seat (the Ward E council seat) you say can't be won without selling out every last one of your principles.

Posted on: 2012/10/10 19:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/6/30 13:44
Group:
Registered Users
Come on now !

I'm laughing at all the people who are taken back by Dan's decision to run with Healy.

Won't be the 1st, and won't be the last. It costs money to run, and unless you are willing to put up real cash, don't worry about his running with Healy. There were plenty of people who rode in on the Machine's ticket , and then went on thier own, after a couple of meetings, and voting the other way.

Fulop has an advantge now, because he votes for you, but, he knows he's going to get shot down, and so he has nothing do lose. But, he looks good doing it.

Come on now !

Posted on: 2012/10/10 19:11

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/10/10 18:59

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/18 23:11
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneOBall wrote:
I find it laughable you would call out Dan for his decision to put himself on a ticket.

Dan joining a ticket isn't the problem. It's Healy's ticket.

Maybe Dan thinks he can dive into a cesspool and come up without any stink. Too late for that.

His self-serving comments about what Healy's done for the city mean that the Danny Boy we once knew is dead and gone.

Posted on: 2012/10/10 18:55

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Given the recent school board negotiations and power broking among the HCDO, I find it laughable you would call out Dan for his decision to put himself on a ticket. His candidacy, or anyone's candidacy, is dead off ticket. You are either stumping or oblivious to Hudson County politics.

Posted on: 2012/10/10 18:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/23 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
I'm in complete shock and incredibly saddened by this. While I have never been a big fan of Dan Levin's I've worked on many of the same issues and fought for many of the same things as Dan, including Pay 2 Play reform. Even the lawyer who crafted this legislation is in complete shock.

To have a reformer now sell out, yes it is selling out because while it is hard to run without deep pockets in the past, the playing field is becoming more and more level without the developers and contractors being able to contribute big bucks. If you have enough ground support then you don't need a ticket such as Healy's and this has been proven.

I know many of you are tied to Dan and believe in him, but what is a candidate without their principles? Dan never approached Fulop and in the 5 years I have worked with Fulop helping to alleviate the flooding issue and create more parking and answering every possible problem that came through the council office, I never saw Dan try to work with Steve. I only heard him bash him. Now he joins Healy and says he will walk through the front door by trying to work with people he railed against for years just to use them for their money? Really?

Look, when you join a ticket you say you support that ticket and everyone on it. You tell people to vote for everyone on your ticket. Dan, in essence, is going to (for deep pockets mind you) fight hard, campaign hard, to make sure the same people get in and Fulop doesn't and none of the other reformers get in. It's Levin for himself and while I was never a fan, I am incredibly shocked that Dan is naive enough to think getting his Healy ticket to win so he can be that ONE person on council, so he can have a chance to be Steven Fulop, will bring change... that he alone is the most important person to bring change.

I can't wait to hear him support the Healy agenda just so he can get in. I think the sound we are hearing is the end of Dan's political career because in politics you have nothing but your reputation. I like Healy better, at least he is straight forward about what he represents.

To real reformers the end does not justify the means; being honest and transparent and true to your beliefs matter. Levin didn't approach Fulop, he merely says so because he thinks Fulop should have just picked him and now he made his choice to support Healy over Fulop.

Incredibly upsetting... i'm sure I am not alone in my shock or anger.

Posted on: 2012/10/10 18:10
soshin: Mention guns and bd pops up through a hole in the ground like a heavily armed meercat

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I have known Dan Levin for over two decades. I donated real money to Dan's mayoral campaign, knowing the odds were long. I spent two years on the VVPA board. I follow JC politics closer than most of you do. Dan Levin wants to make a change. Dan Levin is also quite aware of how the system works in Jersey City. The political machine was invented in our city. Anyone who thinks this is anything other than working the game is not paying attention. Anyone who thinks this is anything other than Dan seriously weighing his options for his best bet at holding office to finally make a real difference after all he has done and all the fighting he has done, is not paying attention. But don't take my word for it. Dan is very easy to find. If you think this is some grab for power, talk to Dan Levin.

Dan Levin is the best thing that could happen to Ward E. I look forward to the day that all his work pays off and we can have a mayor who is concerned with nothing but what is best for Jersey City. Anyone questioning Dan's motivation clearly does not not Dan.

My name is Otis Ball and I absolutely approve of this message. If you don't know who I am, then you are not involved in Ward E.

Posted on: 2012/10/10 18:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
I want to congratulate Dan Levin, it is difficult to win without being on a ticket unless you have deep pockets. I, too plan on voting for Steve Fulop but it is nice to know that Mayor Healy is smart to place Dan Levin on his ticket. I know the whole city will be better if more activists serve the city.

Posted on: 2012/10/10 17:50

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/4/22 14:56
Group:
Registered Users
"Good Government Activist Dan Levin Signs On to Run as Ward E Candidate on Healy?s Ticket."

I've never heard the words "good government" and "Healy's ticket " used together in a sentence. Shame on you, Dan.

Posted on: 2012/10/10 15:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/8 15:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DanL wrote:
... as I posted here a couple of weeks ago, I am pursuing the opportunity to run with Mayor Healy. I believe that I am being "Open and Honest."

again to clarify or get an update, please email me at danlevin@onejerseycity.org or call me 201.364.1730,

Dan

"Open and Honest" to run with a "Closed and Crooked" guy. The company you keep says a lot about a person. I'm glad we know all this before the election.

Posted on: 2012/10/2 23:55

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/5/9 5:04
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DanL wrote:
... as I posted here a couple of weeks ago, I am pursuing the opportunity to run with Mayor Healy. I believe that I am being "Open and Honest."

Thank goodness Healy didn't resign. That would have been a bummer.

Luckily, the mayor didn't bow to the pressure even when Levin Wants Healy To Resign

Phew, it looks like this is all going to work out well.

Happy endings !!!! Another feel-good story in Jersey City.

Posted on: 2012/10/2 20:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

again to clarify or get an update, please email me at danlevin@onejerseycity.org or call me 201.364.1730,

Dan

Posted on: 2012/10/2 20:24

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017