Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
109 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 109

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 »

Re: Dan Levin in talks to run with Healy
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/19 3:01
Group:
Banned
JSleeze- Give it break. It's kind of pathetic to smear everyone who potentially runs against or criticizes Fulop. You are starting to come off like the informaiton czar for the Politburo.

Dan Levin and Esther Wintner have been outspoken community members who have criticized the present administration. They also have a strong desire to serve their respective communities and look out for the tax payers.

Being a reformer does not consign you to hating and opposing one, while ensuring that you support another no matter what.

That's not being reform minded, that's being blindly partisan.

Dan Levin and Esther Wintner are anything but blind partisans.

Posted on: 2012/8/24 21:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/26 20:07
Group:
Registered Users
I guess everyone has their price. Levin will be able to say he ran his usual 99 cent "grass roots" campaign while enjoying all of the spending done on his behalf by the people he's spent the past half-dozen years railing against. I'm sure there he will have a great, common sense explanation, why he takes a county job in a few months as well. Hey - we all have to look out for ourselves.

Kind of like that one week sensation, Esther Wintner. Screaming and yelling at the administration with choreographed histrionics and catchy slogans just a year or so ago. Give her a position on the library board and she purrs like a kitty for Healy now. Predictable. Some people just need a little attention.

Posted on: 2012/8/24 20:57

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/9/19 3:01
Group:
Banned
Dan Levin would be a fine addition to the City Council.

Posted on: 2012/8/24 8:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/26 20:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JTaylor wrote:
Dan Levin is an honest good government advocate, who if elected will bring reform, transparency, and accountability to the Jersey City Council. The anonymous personal attacks directed at Dan in this thread are really a disgrace, and reflect poorly on Ms Osborne and her supporters.

What the hell does Levin's hypocrisy have to do with Ms. Osborne. She didn't tell Levin to toss all of his principles aside and sell his soul to the devil. Levin is an adult and responsible for his own (poor) decisions, no? Somehow Levin decides to get in bed with scum and he's a victim? Ridiculous.

Posted on: 2012/8/24 0:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
The person running for mayor and his at-large candidates are bracken together on one column, the Ward candidates are separated in a different column. Which gives Dan Levin a true shot to become Ward E councilperson. Plus, the geography of Ward E is now smaller, giving an independent a true shot. People from Ward E can still vote for Fulop and Levin. There is no conflict.

Posted on: 2012/8/23 20:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JTaylor wrote:
Dan Levin will be the next Ward E Councilman.

If Fulop wins in Ward E, which is very possible, why won't his Ward E candidate win as well?

Posted on: 2012/8/23 20:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
We know that already, not to count chickens before they hatch but we know that already.

Posted on: 2012/8/23 17:20
Get on your bikes and ride !

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/14 1:51
Group:
Registered Users
Dan Levin will be the next Ward E Councilman.

Posted on: 2012/8/23 17:12

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/1/5 17:35
Group:
Registered Users
call it simplistic but think about things in terms of the average or typical voter (I realize the definition of average or typical is up for grabs- isn't that really what this is all about?)

Healy slate (whatever that ends up looking like)=definition of corruption

Fulop slate= the opposite of corruption (definition=?)

Posted on: 2012/8/22 22:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I forgot to mentioned, Dan Levin was also at the Planning Board meeting. This is his example of commitment to the public.

Posted on: 2012/8/22 21:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/25 16:16
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
+ 1
[quote]
Yvonne wrote:
I am not attacking Candice but I am promoting Dan. [snip]quote]

Posted on: 2012/8/22 20:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I am not attacking Candice but I am promoting Dan. In terms of good government, I want to thank Ms. Lopez who was the only person on the Planning Board to voted against a hotel being planned at the foot of York St. While the design is great, the building is exempted from parking. Ms. Lopez voted no because parking was not part of the plan. If the council approves this then, Paulus Hook residents will have to deal with 250 potential cars in their neighborhood. I believe in supporting council people who serve the public. Dan Levin does serve the public.

Posted on: 2012/8/22 20:39

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/14 1:51
Group:
Registered Users
Dan Levin is an honest good government advocate, who if elected will bring reform, transparency, and accountability to the Jersey City Council. The anonymous personal attacks directed at Dan in this thread are really a disgrace, and reflect poorly on Ms Osborne and her supporters.

Posted on: 2012/8/22 20:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/23 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
I love that you think that's what I said when anyone reading it can see that isn't what I said.

I watch the council meetings at home and I ask the people that know the issues inside and out and most importantly I ACTIVELY work to change things for the better. Those council meetings don't give you the same insight as the caucus meetings nor working with people directly.

I'd much rather vote for someone that actually does and knows than someone that shows up at a whole lot of meetings.

As several have already said here, Candice does attend meetings. She is definitely not unknown.

I completely fail to understand how someone who has attended council meetings dating back to the 70's thinks it is perfectly fine for someone to align themselves with the very people they have been railing against at the council meetings.

It is one thing to be a part of the team and then split from them by realizing that their intentions are not honorable or in the best interest of the people. It is another to believe a certain group is completely dishonorable and then align yourselves with them because they have the money to help you win an election. I mean really that is the only reason Dan would align himself with the Healy team, right? Is to use their campaign money since he is unable to sufficiently raise his own.

But we have proven (in Ward E of all places) that you can win with no backing. There seem to be a ton of supporters here that could step up to the plate and hold fundraisers.

I doubt very much that the Healy team will want to run someone who is going to rail against them and give nothing back in return; who will seek to undermine the culture they have worked so hard to defend.

In the end I know Dan won't go down that road no matter how desperate. There is no justifying it and the fact that you try to is very sad for advocates everywhere. The fact that your only insight to Lopez is council meetings also says a lot. More happens outside those council meetings than inside. Talk is just talk until it is action. Failing to get significant backing speaks volumes as well.

Welcome to Ward C.

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I love what you said, she doesn't have time to attend council meetings. I have a real problem with any one who is running for council and that person does not attend council meetings. When he or she is elected what is their reference when they vote on an ordinance or resolution? They vote according to the dictates of the sitting mayor. This is the reason we have bad government, they don't have a clue! The reason I support Dan Levin, he does attend council meetings. He doesn't need to be told how to vote!

Posted on: 2012/8/22 14:18
soshin: Mention guns and bd pops up through a hole in the ground like a heavily armed meercat

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/18 15:56
Group:
Registered Users
Back to the topic at hand - the two things that strike me as most disturbing should Dan run with healy: campaign finance and taxes.

Dan: you sold your house and I assume you are renting. Healy conveniently punted the outcome of the revaluation until after the election. The revaluation is going to in all likelihood crush major portions of Ward E. Dan, how can you join that team when the outcome has been so politically engineered and in an extremely cynical manner, particularly when you have put yourself on the sidelines for the reval?

The other head-scratcher is your stance on campaign finance - you have spoken loudly and frequently about the need to reform the election process and work to get big money out of the system. I've agreed with you and admired your previous runs in which you put your heart and soul into the effort and did so without prostituting yourself in the process. Healy raised collectively $4 million last time, taking money from anyone who offered. How do you reconcile the fact that you will be heavily funded by entities with whom you (at least in the past) have been philosophically at odds with?

Posted on: 2012/8/22 0:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/6/18 15:56
Group:
Registered Users
I've seen Candice at council meetings - just as I've seen Dan at meetings. They both tend to come when there is an issue of concern to them, which seems to fall into the occasional category. For my money, who really cares if someone running for council is a frequent attendee? Do people running for the house or senate go sit in Washington for years before they run? God help us all if the council consisted of the people who came to all of the meetings....

Posted on: 2012/8/22 0:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I love what you said, she doesn't have time to attend council meetings. I have a real problem with any one who is running for council and that person does not attend council meetings. When he or she is elected what is their reference when they vote on an ordinance or resolution? They vote according to the dictates of the sitting mayor. This is the reason we have bad government, they don't have a clue! The reason I support Dan Levin, he does attend council meetings. He doesn't need to be told how to vote!

Posted on: 2012/8/21 13:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
You are definitely wrong at that. While Candice is a single mother and hasn't had the most time to attend the Council meetings, I have seen her there on numerous occasions over the years. She is definitely independent and I appreciate her intelligence. She has been involved in many core issues such as education.

I believe that "unknown persons" winning seats having a certain allegiance speaks more to the person that gets them that seat.

I look forward to your opinion once you get to know her.

As for Dan, there is no doubt that the public is first as I know to also be the case with Candice. So it is really about the best person for the job and what they bring to the table.

Clearly I am backing Candice whether she is on Fulop's ticket or not. I welcome the help in resolving the flooding issue that has plagued the downtown area. I'm ecstatic that Candice sees this as a priority since this issue is horrible for many families and is looking at getting worse.

I vote for those that jump in and help to resolve the large and complex issues this city faces. While I'm glad that Candice gets along well with Fulop, she's her own person and if Fulop wants to be mayor and make a positive difference, he's going to need a council made up of independent, proactive, and creative thinkers/doers.

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
I do not know Candice so it would be wrong to judge her. But I have been attending council meetings since the 1970s and have learned a few things. When an unknown person wins a seat, their alligiance is to the person who placed him or her in that spot, the public comes second. In my opinion Dan Levin has always put the public first.

Posted on: 2012/8/21 11:50
soshin: Mention guns and bd pops up through a hole in the ground like a heavily armed meercat

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JPhurst wrote:
Quote:

Althea wrote:

Not being on Fulop's ticket is clearly an indication that Levin has been unable to work with Fulop or his team of volunteers and that his clear dislike of Fulop in the past means that there is no bridge repaired there. If this Queen Mary is going to be turned around than Fulop is going to need independent, intelligent, and creative thinkers (which Levin definitely is) who won't have a like or dislike of Fulop affecting their decision making. From my perspective I have never seen Levin jump on board and take up an initiative working along side Fulop for a common goal. The flooding issue for example. Candice Osbourne reached out to me instantly wanting to know where we were at and how things were being corrected. I appreciate that. I like when people reach out to each other and want to work together. This is just my opinion from my perspective.

Huh? They worked together on Pay to Play. And why do you assume it's one person's fault that they don't get along?

No, not really. I was there. While they both supported it, their efforts were separate. Levin made his dislike of Fulop pretty well known. Maybe it had merit, maybe it didn't. Maybe Levin has changed his mind over time.

I'm not sure where I assigned fault to one person. I commented on why Fulop might not want Levin on his ticket and this thread is about Levin contemplating a spot on the Healy ticket. If Fulop is running for mayor and creating a ticket then it is on Levin to find a way to get along with Fulop, Fulop is under no obligation to take anyone on his ticket that he doesn't have a positive working relationship with regardless of the why.

Posted on: 2012/8/21 11:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Althea wrote:

Not being on Fulop's ticket is clearly an indication that Levin has been unable to work with Fulop or his team of volunteers and that his clear dislike of Fulop in the past means that there is no bridge repaired there. If this Queen Mary is going to be turned around than Fulop is going to need independent, intelligent, and creative thinkers (which Levin definitely is) who won't have a like or dislike of Fulop affecting their decision making. From my perspective I have never seen Levin jump on board and take up an initiative working along side Fulop for a common goal. The flooding issue for example. Candice Osbourne reached out to me instantly wanting to know where we were at and how things were being corrected. I appreciate that. I like when people reach out to each other and want to work together. This is just my opinion from my perspective.

Huh? They worked together on Pay to Play. And why do you assume it's one person's fault that they don't get along?

Posted on: 2012/8/20 19:39

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/12 21:26
Group:
Registered Users
Does this mean Dan Levin will get drunk and naked on his front stoop as well?

Bottoms up......

Posted on: 2012/8/20 15:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/1/7 4:11
Group:
Registered Users
I perceive Mr Levin to be an honorable man that would do his best for the residents of Ward E. A rose in a pile of crap is still a rose but it might not smell that way. Please Mr Levin....don't smell like crap.

As for Ms Lopez....did every one forget about her claiming to live in Florida to steal thousands of tax dollars? She may be strong helping constituents (and this does have value) but she will bend her morals to follow the money like most of team Healy. This has been proven repeatedly. She does have the brains to strategically distance herself on occasion just to claim she is not a puppet.

Posted on: 2012/8/20 14:28
I'm not perfect.....but I'm not all bad either.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/1/27 22:17
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
+1

Excellent reply.

Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
In the not unlikely scenario that the machine sweeps the election next year, is the city better off with a full slate of Healy cronies or a slate with one or two reformers add to it?

Its nice to live in the fantasy land of Ward E where Steve Fulop turns water to wine and shits rose petals, but there are a lot of people outside of Ward E who don't even know who he is. Despite the vehement hatred of Healy and cronyism represented on this board, Healy and his team still have a high chance of winning.

Healy's possible inclusion of "reformers" on his ticket is a victory onto itself. The very fact that the machine would consider bringing in outsiders indicates the threat they represent to the ticket.

Simply because a person joins a slate, that doesn't automatically make them a puppet of the machine. Several people with wildly different ideas can still run on the same ticket. Just look at the national Democratic or national Republican party. A Democrat in New Jersey looks nothing like a Democrat in Texas, just like a Republican from New Jersey looks nothing like a Republican from Kansas. But everyone still ends up running under the same label.

There is a very real possibility Team Fulop loses everything next year. While one or two reform candidates on the Healy team may not be enough to overthrow his administration, its certainly better than simply a handpicked slate running the city without any voice of opposition.

Posted on: 2012/8/20 13:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

murican wrote:
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
What a joke. On November's Election Day, Levin's campaign workers were parading back & forth in front of the polling location all day. It was explained that they couldn't do that, why & please don't do it again but everytime you weren't looking, there they were. Even his campaign manager, April something or other kept standing in front of the location wearing vote for buttons batting her eyes & smiling oh so demurely that she knows she shouldn't but forgot she was wearing the button. Dan is no different than the people he may be talking with.

I believe that is called "campaigning". See the law below, as long as you are 100 feet away from the polling station that is LEGAL. Please specify where you saw this violation. As far as I know, all campaign volunteers are told to be very careful about the 100 feet distance.

19:34-15. If a person shall distribute or display any circular or printed matter or offer any suggestion or solicit any support for any candidate, party or public question within the polling place or room or within a distance of one hundred feet of the outside entrance to such polling place or room, he shall be guilty of a disorderly persons offense.

http://lis.njleg.state.nj.us/cgi-bin/ ... base=statutes.nfo&record={960B}&softpage=Doc_Frame_PG42

I was there, you weren't & standing outside on the steps of the polling location ain't no 100 feet. Neither is walking back & forth across the street (a narrow one way).

Posted on: 2012/8/20 1:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned
Quote:
I do not know Candice so it would be wrong to judge her. But I have been attending council meetings since the 1970s and have learned a few things. When an unknown person wins a seat, their alligiance is to the person who placed him or her in that spot, the public comes second. In my opinion Dan Levin has always put the public first.

Well said Yvonne.

Posted on: 2012/8/19 19:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/8/19 17:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Actually I give her a C. She doesn't follow Healy, but she certainly is not invited on his ticket again. She is her own person. But she went into this blind and had she really known what she was getting into I don't think she would have run on Healy's ticket.

I think Nidia is very well meaning, but she won't work with me for I don't know what reason. She almost never returns phone calls and she doesn't get any of my emails. I get a much better response out of Fulop.

I think what put me over the edge with Nidia is that she KNEW of the Robinhood settlement that would put a 42 story tower right up against our 2-3 story neighborhood and never reached out to us. Rich Boggiano and I are very active and we aren't hard to find. The fact that we had to learn about this settlement a week latter through a reporter is beyond the pale. Then she scheduled a community meeting on the issue outside of the neighborhood and never told us community leaders. It turned out that none of us would have been able to make it. So we held our own in our neighborhood and got over 60 people in August. It would have taken one phone call to give us the heads up. She gets a D on being proactive in the community. I'm tired of reactive, i really am.

If you look at Nidia's actual voting record, she votes for what she thinks is good for the community and listens to those who come before her. She's not a rubber stamp. She gets a B+ for that.

Now that she is not a neophyte, it would be a shame to lose her from the council.

If you run on a ticket you are essentially saying that you believe in the ideals of that ticket. Some people may say the end justifies the means, but quite clearly Levin has stated all along that the end does NOT justify the means.

Quote:

Yvonne wrote:
Just for the record, Nidia Lopez, councilperson for Ward C who ran on the Healy ticket, is a great councilperson. She listens to the public before she votes. Like Steve Fulop, she responds to the public on many issues. Don't get caught up labels, vote the person not the ticket.

Posted on: 2012/8/19 17:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Just for the record, Nidia Lopez, councilperson for Ward C who ran on the Healy ticket, is a great councilperson. She listens to the public before she votes. Like Steve Fulop, she responds to the public on many issues. Don't get caught up labels, vote the person not the ticket.

Posted on: 2012/8/19 17:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/25 16:16
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HeightsBrat wrote:
What a joke. On November's Election Day, Levin's campaign workers were parading back & forth in front of the polling location all day. It was explained that they couldn't do that, why & please don't do it again but everytime you weren't looking, there they were. Even his campaign manager, April something or other kept standing in front of the location wearing vote for buttons batting her eyes & smiling oh so demurely that she knows she shouldn't but forgot she was wearing the button. Dan is no different than the people he may be talking with.

I believe that is called "campaigning". See the law below, as long as you are 100 feet away from the polling station that is LEGAL. Please specify where you saw this violation. As far as I know, all campaign volunteers are told to be very careful about the 100 feet distance.

19:34-15. If a person shall distribute or display any circular or printed matter or offer any suggestion or solicit any support for any candidate, party or public question within the polling place or room or within a distance of one hundred feet of the outside entrance to such polling place or room, he shall be guilty of a disorderly persons offense.

http://lis.njleg.state.nj.us/cgi-bin/ ... base=statutes.nfo&record={960B}&softpage=Doc_Frame_PG42

Posted on: 2012/8/19 15:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
You know, I'm just as confused about this as anyone else, but it doesn't make sense looking at it from the other side of things either - what would Healy gain by bringing Levin into his circle? Much as I agreed with Dan Levin and his philosophies in the last election, and would have liked to see him win, he didn't do THAT great. I don't remember the vote count, but I don't think he came in 2nd or even 3rd out of all the candidates. He maybe well-known but still strikes me as a relatively weak candidate. Why would Healy feel threatened enough by him to even consider this?

Posted on: 2012/8/19 3:33

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017