Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
85 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 85

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9)

Re: Dan Levin in talks to run with Healy
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Dan Levin is a fine human being and would be an excellent Ward E councilperson. If Steve Fulop does not become mayor, you would need a knowledgeable person for downtown. The upcoming revaluation will take a toll on Ward E, so who do you trust to help residents after the revaluation, an unknown?

Posted on: 2012/8/19 2:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JSleeze wrote:
Maybe by running with Healy, Levin hurts Fulop, maybe he doesn't. Maybe Fulop's council candidate in E gets hurt but Fulop is helped. Maybe none of the above. Who knows for sure? But this is undeniable: Dan Levin wants to endorse an administration that has been synonymous with corruption amd bribery in order to get elected and yet has has always gone to great lengths to say he is not a politician out for himself? How does that work?

Look at Dan's entire track record of comments. This is such an abrupt departure from everything he has ever said publicly. He has consistently called out the politically expedient and quid pro quo arrangements - how is this really any different? I am just curious how endorsing someone synonmous with bribery because it helps him personally can be viewed in a tactical vacuum and not as an indication of character? Imagine the picture of the people he's endorsing - Healy, Brennan, Sottolano, potentially Lipski, potentially Epps... He may believe the ends justify the means, but for my money I can't imagine the majority of the true Levinites are going to be able to stomach that.

For contrast: Here's a Levin posting from late last October. Maybe it was just "test messaging" for the 2013 run? Figuring out how to "tweak" the message - or abandon it altogether?

Levin for Council - Vote - November 8, 2011

October 25, 2011

Message from Dan

Corruption, double dipping, patronage and cronyism are interfering with the city's ability to thrive and move forward. Fleeing residents has led to the dismal 3% population growth reflected in the decennial 2010 Census despite a development boom of historic proportions.

It is time to end the "who you know" culture of Jersey City government and instead govern by "right and wrong" and rule of law.

I am running for Jersey City Council At-Large in the November 8th special election with a simple mission: to improve the decisions made by our city. I will bring a clear, common sense vision and sound management approach to help solve our problems and build on our opportunities. The needs of the residents will be central to my considerations and actions.

With your support, we can -
Ban campaign contributions in city offices
Implement a strict government ethics code
Implement community based policing.
Eliminate semi-autonomous agencies for substantial cost savings and improved accountability
Bring planning tools to the budget process
Create a multi-year financial plan supported by a Municipal Budget Commission
Subject Tax Abatement agreements to rigorous review by a budget commission
Implement a functional Shade Tree Commission
Implement bike lanes
Fix the Journal Square Taxi stand to provide residents with the service they deserve
Fix the entertainment ordinance allowing bars and restaurants to offer live entertainment
Provide improved notification to property owners subject to redevelopment plans
Have stronger tools to encourage interim use for large vacant lots
Development of a public market

Let us speak with one voice for a safer, more vibrant city, for stable taxes and sensible spending, for sound solutions.

- Dan Levin

What a joke. On November's Election Day, Levin's campaign workers were parading back & forth in front of the polling location all day. It was explained that they couldn't do that, why & please don't do it again but everytime you weren't looking, there they were. Even his campaign manager, April something or other kept standing in front of the location wearing vote for buttons batting her eyes & smiling oh so demurely that she knows she shouldn't but forgot she was wearing the button. Dan is no different than the people he may be talking with.

Posted on: 2012/8/19 1:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/10 19:14
Group:
Registered Users
"Whenever a man has cast a longing eye on offices, a rottenness begins in his conduct" ~Thomas Jefferson

I am not sure you can call this a rottenness but it is risky. One thing is for certain, if Dan does get in he will try and distant himself from Healy faster than Romney and his tax returns.

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

Nothing more, we can all move on now.

Posted on: 2012/8/18 21:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
Do you have to be a property owner in JC to run for office or just a resident?

Posted on: 2012/8/18 16:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/26 20:07
Group:
Registered Users
Maybe by running with Healy, Levin hurts Fulop, maybe he doesn't. Maybe Fulop's council candidate in E gets hurt but Fulop is helped. Maybe none of the above. Who knows for sure? But this is undeniable: Dan Levin wants to endorse an administration that has been synonymous with corruption amd bribery in order to get elected and yet has has always gone to great lengths to say he is not a politician out for himself? How does that work?

Look at Dan's entire track record of comments. This is such an abrupt departure from everything he has ever said publicly. He has consistently called out the politically expedient and quid pro quo arrangements - how is this really any different? I am just curious how endorsing someone synonmous with bribery because it helps him personally can be viewed in a tactical vacuum and not as an indication of character? Imagine the picture of the people he's endorsing - Healy, Brennan, Sottolano, potentially Lipski, potentially Epps... He may believe the ends justify the means, but for my money I can't imagine the majority of the true Levinites are going to be able to stomach that.

For contrast: Here's a Levin posting from late last October. Maybe it was just "test messaging" for the 2013 run? Figuring out how to "tweak" the message - or abandon it altogether?

Levin for Council - Vote - November 8, 2011

October 25, 2011

Message from Dan

Corruption, double dipping, patronage and cronyism are interfering with the city's ability to thrive and move forward. Fleeing residents has led to the dismal 3% population growth reflected in the decennial 2010 Census despite a development boom of historic proportions.

It is time to end the "who you know" culture of Jersey City government and instead govern by "right and wrong" and rule of law.

I am running for Jersey City Council At-Large in the November 8th special election with a simple mission: to improve the decisions made by our city. I will bring a clear, common sense vision and sound management approach to help solve our problems and build on our opportunities. The needs of the residents will be central to my considerations and actions.

With your support, we can -
Ban campaign contributions in city offices
Implement a strict government ethics code
Implement community based policing.
Eliminate semi-autonomous agencies for substantial cost savings and improved accountability
Bring planning tools to the budget process
Create a multi-year financial plan supported by a Municipal Budget Commission
Subject Tax Abatement agreements to rigorous review by a budget commission
Implement a functional Shade Tree Commission
Implement bike lanes
Fix the Journal Square Taxi stand to provide residents with the service they deserve
Fix the entertainment ordinance allowing bars and restaurants to offer live entertainment
Provide improved notification to property owners subject to redevelopment plans
Have stronger tools to encourage interim use for large vacant lots
Development of a public market

Let us speak with one voice for a safer, more vibrant city, for stable taxes and sensible spending, for sound solutions.

- Dan Levin

Posted on: 2012/8/18 14:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/25 1:59
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
In the not unlikely scenario that the machine sweeps the election next year, is the city better off with a full slate of Healy cronies or a slate with one or two reformers add to it?

Its nice to live in the fantasy land of Ward E where Steve Fulop turns water to wine and shits rose petals, but there are a lot of people outside of Ward E who don't even know who he is. Despite the vehement hatred of Healy and cronyism represented on this board, Healy and his team still have a high chance of winning.

Healy's possible inclusion of "reformers" on his ticket is a victory onto itself. The very fact that the machine would consider bringing in outsiders indicates the threat they represent to the ticket.

Simply because a person joins a slate, that doesn't automatically make them a puppet of the machine. Several people with wildly different ideas can still run on the same ticket. Just look at the national Democratic or national Republican party. A Democrat in New Jersey looks nothing like a Democrat in Texas, just like a Republican from New Jersey looks nothing like a Republican from Kansas. But everyone still ends up running under the same label.

There is a very real possibility Team Fulop loses everything next year. While one or two reform candidates on the Healy team may not be enough to overthrow his administration, its certainly better than simply a handpicked slate running the city without any voice of opposition.
well said ... and splitting the Ward E vote is a smart move for team Healy ... as is discrediting Dan Levin and his integrity is a smart move for team Fulop ...

Posted on: 2012/8/18 7:30

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/3/17 0:57
Group:
Registered Users
I had a pleasure of speaking with Dan several times after I reached out to him for his assistance with PS#37 since his kids go there and he is involved with the school. He was so thoughtful in his response and I was so impressed each time, same way I am impressed by Steven Fulop. I don't presume to know nor guess why Steven Fulop wouldn't endorse Dan but Dan has my vote regardless of which team ticket he runs in.

Posted on: 2012/8/18 3:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/13 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
I always thought Dan Levin was a lightweight. I'm guessing Fulop sensed this as well. It's truly remarkable he would consider joining Team Healy.

Posted on: 2012/8/18 1:52

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/5/9 5:04
Group:
Registered Users
Ah, no.? Dan will not win.? People see how hypocritcal he is.? You cannot lie down with the sleeze and be immune to the sleeze.

And, it is possible (despite what some of the politcal "experts" on this board say) that the Healy Machine will be defeated.? It is time for this.

Posted on: 2012/8/17 18:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

T-Bird wrote:
Fulop ran independently and won. In Ward E. Twice.

This would only work in Ward E. Just look at who is voting and who is running for the ward council seat there. Education & tax bracket, they go hand in hand. Dan will win hands down no matter who he runs with, it's his time.

Posted on: 2012/8/17 15:29
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
In the not unlikely scenario that the machine sweeps the election next year, is the city better off with a full slate of Healy cronies or a slate with one or two reformers add to it?

Its nice to live in the fantasy land of Ward E where Steve Fulop turns water to wine and shits rose petals, but there are a lot of people outside of Ward E who don't even know who he is. Despite the vehement hatred of Healy and cronyism represented on this board, Healy and his team still have a high chance of winning.

Healy's possible inclusion of "reformers" on his ticket is a victory onto itself. The very fact that the machine would consider bringing in outsiders indicates the threat they represent to the ticket.

Simply because a person joins a slate, that doesn't automatically make them a puppet of the machine. Several people with wildly different ideas can still run on the same ticket. Just look at the national Democratic or national Republican party. A Democrat in New Jersey looks nothing like a Democrat in Texas, just like a Republican from New Jersey looks nothing like a Republican from Kansas. But everyone still ends up running under the same label.

There is a very real possibility Team Fulop loses everything next year. While one or two reform candidates on the Healy team may not be enough to overthrow his administration, its certainly better than simply a handpicked slate running the city without any voice of opposition.

Posted on: 2012/8/17 13:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/8 15:08
Group:
Registered Users
This is a complete and utter joke. Thanks Dan for addressing the issue, but unfortunately for me (and you), you just lost my vote for any future endeavors you choose to do. A true example of "flip flopping."

Posted on: 2012/8/17 13:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Healy's last choice for Ward E council went to jail for 18 months & can never work in politics again.

Dan isn't the only one of alleged activists that may/may not wind up on a Healy ticket. Esther Witner is getting all kinds of favors from this group. Position on library board, steam cleaning of West Side sidewalks in her area, etc. Can't wait to see what happens when it is time to pay the piper.

Posted on: 2012/8/17 11:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Fulop ran independently and won. In Ward E. Twice.

Posted on: 2012/8/17 2:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Welcome to Hudson county politics. When you vote for a mayoral candidate you are also voting for all the schmucks he/she brings along.

Independent runners are barley ever successful, so they jump on tickets because it easier to campaign when there is campaign funds.

This is why you see people like Ssottolano representing ward A, because he was on Team Healy's ticket. He would have never won without being on Healy's ticket.

Posted on: 2012/8/17 2:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

DTNJC wrote:
Wow, if you can't beat him join him huh? Now it's 2 losers on the same ticket. Anyone who votes for any of team Healy doesn't care about the city they live in.

Wow, talk about two "tools" in one shed!

Posted on: 2012/8/16 22:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/25 16:16
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Crazy_Chester wrote:
Why is the door closed between Dan Levin and Steve Fulop?

Chester, reread Dan Levin's post. He said:

"I had/have advised friends and supporters also involved with Team SF that I would be interested and willing to run with him, but like last fall when my request for support/endorsement was rejected, the door on 2013 also has closed."

Steve picked someone else to run on his slate for Ward E.

Posted on: 2012/8/16 22:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Why is the door closed between Dan Levin and Steve Fulop?

Posted on: 2012/8/16 20:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/4/25 16:16
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcmiles wrote:
No idea about this rumor, but this wouldn't bother me if it happened. I would just vote for Levin for the council seat, then consider my choices for mayor. There is nothing forcing anyone to vote for both Healy and Levin. But this will probably get lots of zombie votes for Dan.
Seems to be a similar technique that Rolando used to get on the Council.
Dan might even find a few goals that he could align with Healy on, and for the rest, they will just part ways when its time to vote.

JCmiles, I have to agree with you, I would just vote for Levin for the council seat, then consider my choices for mayor too.

Can see that this is a matter of expediency, the obvious fit for Dan would be in the Fulop campaign. But as that door is closed, and elections are expensive, then as they say," politics makes strange bedfellows".

We have had some people align themselves with odd teams before- thinking of Angel Valentin and his run for the BOE on the Fulop team- not a true meeting of minds.

Sad but necessary.
I will continue to belive in Dan as a candidate of integrity. His post concisely explains his situation-- and let's face it, he would be very good for Ward E.

Posted on: 2012/8/16 19:13

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/7/4 14:06
Group:
Registered Users
Wow, if you can't beat him join him huh? Now it's 2 losers on the same ticket. Anyone who votes for any of team Healy doesn't care about the city they live in.

Posted on: 2012/8/16 18:21

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/5/9 5:04
Group:
Registered Users
When this thread started, I thought to myself, "this cannot possibly be true." And, I knew you would address the issue yourself. But, your reply raises more questions than it answers.

If this were not Jersey-City-As-Usual politics, this talking out of both sides of your mouth would be funny (because its about the process, not the people, right?).

NJ Newsroom: Healy team indicted in corruption probe

Also, last I heard you were trying to sell your house and might not even be a downtown resident (and might not run for Ward E, but rather for an at-large seat).

Where's Waldo, er Dan?

Just give it up. There will be no critical mass for your campaign, and at best you will split votes. Either you are for reform or you are not. Either you are disgusted by the Healy regime or your not. But, it is beginning to appear where you actually stand. But, there is still time -- back pedal furiously, and see let's see where it gets you.

Signed,
Disappointed

Posted on: 2012/8/15 21:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Dan - thanks for addressing the issue, but isn't your "positioning" the absolute height of hypocrisy? Of course politics involves expediency and ideals sometimes get sacrificed... but this??? You would endorse, campaign with and appear on literature with double dippers, abatement junkies, tax doublers (taxes up over 90% since Healy took office), nepotists, patrons and (potentially) Lipski (all of the above and then some - don't stand next to him in the team picture.....)??? Agreeing to serve on a board in a particular administration is a far different thing than choosing to run for office with them. There often is no alternate route to participate for the average citizen if s/he turns down a board seat. You certainly could choose to run with others or alone - it's not an all or nothing proposition for you, but perhaps selling out for the seat justifies all that in your mind. Leon Yost presents himself as a historic preservationist to get a position on the planning board. You present yourself as the ultimate reformer, holding elected officials to the highest possible standards in order to.... sign up with the worst of them? Would Mayor Healy have you on his slate? What do you think? He took Guy Catrillo last time - pretty low bar to clear. Your words may be technically accurate "I have not met or talked yet with Mayor Healy about his 2013 campaign" but it's fair to say you've had these conversations with his lieutenant(s), no? So, Dan - I ask you: What would this guy say about all this?

Posted on: 2012/8/15 20:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
time to feed the beast ...

as I have worked towards putting myself and my family in a position to commit to running and running successfully for the Ward E council position, I am keeping an open mind about working with a team or slate of candidates and to be truthful, I have always been more interested in the processes of government, checks and balances, access, openness, restrictions and enforcement, than the individual people and players involved. of course that is not how elected office is won.

I had/have advised friends and supporters also involved with Team SF that I would be interested and willing to run with him, but like last fall when my request for support/endorsement was rejected, the door on 2013 also has closed.

I have met with potential mayoral candidate Jerry Walker in this context.

I have not met or talked yet with Mayor Healy about his 2013 campaign, but would welcome the opportunity to do so and have and will continue to reach out to his administration.

I am not interested in "acid tests" but achieving objectives to improve and move Jersey City and its governance forward. I do note, that many respected, talented, community minded residents have accepted Mayor Healy's appointments to serve on city boards and commissions including but not limited to the Environmental Commission, Historic Preservation Commission and yes, even the Planning Board. One of my early mentors in Jersey City, who I have been fortunate to work with on preservation and resuse issues, Leon Yost has served through now three administrations including Mayor Healy's on the Planning Board (unfortunately has had to recuse himself on many issues before the board that he had advocated on behalf.).

would Mayor Healy have me on his slate?

downtown Jersey City has been my family's home for more than 15 years and we are raising (and educating) our children here. I believe I have good and valid reasons to run for Ward E council, have much to contribute in service to our city on the city council, have a record of accomplishments achieved through working with and through groups, organizations, city staff and elected officials, and would serve responsibly honoring the residents of Jersey City.

My values and goals have remained the same -

http://onejerseycity.org/?page_id=666

http://onejerseycity.org/?page_id=71

I am not going to engage in a lengthy back and forth, so if there are any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to me at - 201.364.1730

Dan
danlevin@onejerseycity.org

Posted on: 2012/8/15 19:10

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/8/15 16:39
Group:
Registered Users
Sad, if true.
Especially after the talks I have had with Dan Levin on his outlook...
I guess we are all sell-outs in the end, huh?

Posted on: 2012/8/15 16:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
I take the 45 minutes of silence as confirmation.

j/k

Posted on: 2012/8/15 15:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JSleeze wrote:
Rumor has it Dan Levin has been in discussions regarding a Healy/Levin marriage with Dan running for the Ward E council seat on the Healy ticket.

I asked my friend who told me about it three times if this could possibly be true - couldn't be the Healy whose administration was gutted by the Dwek bribery scandal, the Healy who saw three of his first four deputy mayors arrested, the Healy who fought mightily against pay to play reforms - so near and dear to Dan's heart. Not the Healy who fights against transparency and good government in all shapes and sizes - the things Dan espouses on his website.

A Healy/Levin marriage is in the dogs sleeping with cats category. Is Dan that desperate to get elected that he'd lay down with Jerry? I would have thought Dan would sooner not run than consider partnering with the man who is the embodiment of everything Dan proclaims to loathe.

Dan?

Is there a chance that your friend told you that on April 1st? Or did your friend mistakenly think the day was April 1st when he told you that?

This can't possibly be true but knowing that Dan Levin posts here I will wait to hear the truth from him.

Posted on: 2012/8/15 15:46

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/8 1:12
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
No idea about this rumor, but this wouldn't bother me if it happened. I would just vote for Levin for the council seat, then consider my choices for mayor. There is nothing forcing anyone to vote for both Healy and Levin. But this will probably get lots of zombie votes for Dan.
Seems to be a similar technique that Rolando used to get on the Council.
Dan might even find a few goals that he could align with Healy on, and for the rest, they will just part ways when its time to vote.

Posted on: 2012/8/15 15:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/8 15:08
Group:
Registered Users
"seen and overheard at a neighboring table"? I'd say that's far from being trustworthy.

Posted on: 2012/8/15 15:04

Dan Levin joins Healy ticket as ward E Council candidate
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Rumor has it Dan Levin has been in discussions regarding a Healy/Levin marriage with Dan running for the Ward E council seat on the Healy ticket.

I asked my friend who told me about it three times if this could possibly be true - couldn't be the Healy whose administration was gutted by the Dwek bribery scandal, the Healy who saw three of his first four deputy mayors arrested, the Healy who fought mightily against pay to play reforms - so near and dear to Dan's heart. Not the Healy who fights against transparency and good government in all shapes and sizes - the things Dan espouses on his website.

A Healy/Levin marriage is in the dogs sleeping with cats category. Is Dan that desperate to get elected that he'd lay down with Jerry? I would have thought Dan would sooner not run than consider partnering with the man who is the embodiment of everything Dan proclaims to loathe.

Dan?

Posted on: 2012/8/15 14:59

Edited by Webmaster on 2012/12/6 5:33:29

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact