Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
106 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 106

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Another accident at Grove and Grand
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
THIS JUST IN

Crosswalk at Columbus and Grove no longer puts up a walk sign to get across CCB (even after the delay to let cars come down the one way). I guess it's push the button or walk illegally. Seems like a great way for JC Police to ticket and make money.

One of the most pedestrian-heavy intersections...

Posted on: 2012/7/29 10:42

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/12 15:19
Group:
Banned
those buttons that you must hit are not connected to anything,they do nothing but amuse you.the walklights are sequenced and are not changed by hitting the button .hitting the buttons does nothing,check it out for yourselves

Posted on: 2012/7/29 0:24

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
The city is totally designed to move cars and all
ped crossings are an afterthought. Starting with the fact that you have to push a button to cross the street. The walk sign at grove and Columbus is 3 seconds long before it starts blinking. The crosswalks at Jersey are rife with miscommunication by design. The cars don't stop because there's always a "are they going? Should I just go?" moment and the pedestrian isn't going to just start walking into oncoming traffic. Grand st is terrible, too wide, always a car turning from far away to make a left turn as you are trying to cross (do they see me? Will they stop?).

/end rant

Posted on: 2012/7/28 14:34

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:24
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey and York, as a pedestrian, is really frustrating. It should be at least a two or three way stop. Anything to get it through people's heads that there are crosswalks and they need to stop for people trying to cross. it amazes me how many people don't even slow down or pedestrians, let alone stop. It sucks as a driver too, its hard to see if cars are coming and you have to slowly creep up to turn or go straight. I've seen some minor accidents there because people did not take their time or slow down.

Posted on: 2012/7/28 3:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
Has anyone considered a cable car?

Posted on: 2012/7/27 2:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Pedestrian crossing at Grand and Jersey is treacherous too. Tons of red light runners during rush hour.

Posted on: 2012/7/27 1:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/14 16:17
Group:
Registered Users
I think that Columbus and Grove is fine, as long as you obey the signs that say "Delayed Walk Wait" Almost everyone is crossing against the walk/don't walk because they cannot wait the extra 30 seconds until after the light changes to walk. That would be a revenue generator, ticket everyone who crosses against the light. Pedestrians complain, then ignore the very signals put there to keep them safe.

I always obey them, partly for my own safety, partly so my kids learn to cross at the proper time. Not an easy lesson to teach when everyone else is ignoring them.

Posted on: 2012/7/26 22:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
has anybody figured out how to properly cross Columbus at Grove?

put one foot in front of the other and repeat

Posted on: 2012/7/26 21:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Not to hijack, but ... speaking of F'd up intersections, has anybody figured out how to properly cross Columbus at Grove? There is barely any time for pedestrians to cross. So poorly designed and anti-pedestrian, in one of the most pedestrian-heavy parts of JC.

Posted on: 2012/7/26 21:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
This would be a great location for a camera. The city could generate money from speeding drivers or pedistrians who cross the street while texting. Although I would admit it would be difficult to give a ticket to a pedestrian.

Posted on: 2012/7/26 20:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/20 2:38
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
The biggest problem with this intersection is that leading into it from the east is a roadway with four lanes across and without street parking. The result is that drivers naturally expect the roadway to have a faster speed limit and accelerate accordingly.

The best approach is restoration of street parking, shrinking the street to one lane in each direction. Parked cars along the street would give drivers the perception of a more narrow roadway. Narrow roadways lead to a natural inclination to slow down. The added congestion would also slow traffic, increasing response time and reducing accidents. Adding curb extensions along Grand street would further enhance road safety by reducing the distance pedestrians must walk to cross the street and by artificially narrowing the street corners. Drivers approaching curb extensions slow down because of the perception of the narrow street.

This is pretty basic stuff and generally well accepted among contemporary urban planners. These are basic principles that are much less agressive than more progressive street designs ongoing in places like New York City under Bloomberg. If the city's administration were even half qualified for their jobs, they wouldn't be adding lanes to local streets.

Agree this is a great idea. In addition to on-street parking on both sides, the city should do a few more things:
- Make the right lane on Grand eastbound approaching Jersey a right-turn only, with parking starting on Grand just after the intersection at Jersey, to avoid the sudden shift in the road there
- Add sheltered bike lanes on both sides between car parking and the roadway (like in NYC)
- Add a raised island median (ideally landscaped) if any room is left
- Time the lights on Grand at Jersey, Barrow, and Grove to avoid a straight shot through. These actually used to be timed so that the light at Barrow was red when the light at Jersey was green but now they're synchronized.

Posted on: 2012/7/26 20:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
ianmac47 wrote: The biggest problem with this intersection is that leading into it from the east is a roadway with four lanes across and without street parking. The result is that drivers naturally expect the roadway to have a faster speed limit and accelerate accordingly. The best approach is restoration of street parking, shrinking the street to one lane in each direction. Parked cars along the street would give drivers the perception of a more narrow roadway. Narrow roadways lead to a natural inclination to slow down. The added congestion would also slow traffic, increasing response time and reducing accidents. Adding curb extensions along Grand street would further enhance road safety by reducing the distance pedestrians must walk to cross the street and by artificially narrowing the street corners. Drivers approaching curb extensions slow down because of the perception of the narrow street. This is pretty basic stuff and generally well accepted among contemporary urban planners. These are basic principles that are much less agressive than more progressive street designs ongoing in places like New York City under Bloomberg. If the city's administration were even half qualified for their jobs, they wouldn't be adding lanes to local streets.

Never thought I would say this but ianmac47 is correct (for a change). Street parking would ease a lot of congestion from the owners of the nearby condos who do not have an indoor parking space. Would also generate revenue for the city in the form of parking tickets.

Posted on: 2012/7/26 20:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
The biggest problem with this intersection is that leading into it from the east is a roadway with four lanes across and without street parking. The result is that drivers naturally expect the roadway to have a faster speed limit and accelerate accordingly.

The best approach is restoration of street parking, shrinking the street to one lane in each direction. Parked cars along the street would give drivers the perception of a more narrow roadway. Narrow roadways lead to a natural inclination to slow down. The added congestion would also slow traffic, increasing response time and reducing accidents. Adding curb extensions along Grand street would further enhance road safety by reducing the distance pedestrians must walk to cross the street and by artificially narrowing the street corners. Drivers approaching curb extensions slow down because of the perception of the narrow street.

This is pretty basic stuff and generally well accepted among contemporary urban planners. These are basic principles that are much less agressive than more progressive street designs ongoing in places like New York City under Bloomberg. If the city's administration were even half qualified for their jobs, they wouldn't be adding lanes to local streets.

Posted on: 2012/7/26 13:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
There's just so much wrong with this intersection:

1.) The Boys and Girls Club side is a clusterfuck of driveways, streets, huge bumps and light poles in the middle of what looks like a drivable path.

2.) Westbound Grand is one lane but cars turn it into two.

3.) Eastbound Grand has a sudden left hand turn lane, not to mention the terrible left swerve just a few hundred feet before. The straight lane is also always blocked by the Edible Arrangements van or some variation of, forcing straight cars to swing into the left turn lane. The speed limit up to Grove is 25, but find one car obeying that..

The biggest problem with this intersection is the lack of pedestrian right-of-way signals and the legal turn on red outside of school hours. Unlike the Shoprite/BJs light on Marin, the Walk sign always corresponds to the Grove green light -- and since all cars turn onto Grand -- it's a game of car dodge even when pedestrians have the green light to cross.

Posted on: 2012/7/26 12:12

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/15 12:48
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Resized Image

Posted on: 2012/7/25 23:30

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/15 12:48
Group:
Registered Users
It happened at around 1.05pm. My colleague and I just finished our lunch at Taqueria, and we were crossing the street, (towards the boys and girls club). There was a lady in a purple dress also crossing but the opposite way (towards taqueira) We were still in the crosswalk when we heard this loud sound and we turned around to see the traffic light come crashing down. I called 911, and then snapped a few pictures. I noted that no one was hurt (sorry job responsibility) and only while walking back to work realized that we were seconds away from that light crashing down on us. I am sure the lady in purple must be quite shaken up too, as she would be closer to the car. The car is a black SUV seems to be a Rav4. The driver hit it (i did not see how) came out of the vehicle and then went back in and reversed a little. We left as soon as the Sheriff came.

Posted on: 2012/7/25 22:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
With very few exceptions, the speed limit citywide is 25. Even on Columbus and Kennedy.

Posted on: 2012/7/25 22:52

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
I was very surprised to learn that the speed limit on Grand is only 25mph. When I walk down the street there it seems like most cars are going 40+. It's a terrible road design, to have a road that wide with lights that far apart, and then slap a sign that says "25mph" on it and expect people to go the speed limit. Give 'em an inch, they'll take a yard.

Posted on: 2012/7/25 22:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/26 20:07
Group:
Registered Users
While just a block and a half away, at that very moment, stood three cops staring into the hole on Marin going under the light rail tracks. Hard to imagine how a car going 25 mph (the speed limit) could knock down a light pole on a sidewalk.

Posted on: 2012/7/25 22:09

Another accident at Grove and Grand
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
The intersection of Grove and Grand Sts were sectioned off today around 1:30 PM by the police. The light pole on the sidewalk was knocked down by a black car. This is the same spot an accident occurred when a car jumped onto the sidewalk and killed a pedestrian.

Posted on: 2012/7/25 20:31

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017