Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
122 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 122

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Manhattan rents experience highest rise in 5 years
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
ianmac47 - I'm talking to the majority of people here. take a sample of 1000 people and show them astoria and dixon mills area, I bet you the MAJORITY of them will choose astoria.

By "Dixon mills area," are you talking about the Dixon Mills complex, are you talking about the Van Vorst Park neighborhood, are you talking about the area west of Grove Street? WTF. Not only do you obviously not know what you are talking about, you don't even know Jersey City very well.

Posted on: 2012/7/13 20:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
brewster wrote:
You happen to be completely wrong, at least about the Heights. Several of my tenants there are 20 somethings (or were when they moved in 7 years ago) and adore it. They have large affordable spaces, a relatively safe neighborhood, a nice backyard where they hold keggers, and are a short walk to the elevator down to Hoboken where some of them work. It's the buzz from people like this that will bring up that area.

Given enough time, I can find a goldman employee living in greenville. I know there are exceptions but I'm talking generally.

Quote:
bill wrote:
i have an early 30's single friend who lived in UES that is staying with me a few weeks until he finds a new apt in UES or EV. I tried to show him several merits of JC like LSP, waterfront, various restaurants, etc. His response was fine where is the closest Trader Joe's or Whole Foods. He then proceeded to say "I don't see many cops here and not having the option of taking a cab home unless you pay $40 sucks." He concluded with "Who cares if there is a new restaurant with a former chef from Momofuku or a John's Pizza/2 Boots. I can go to the originals and more in the city." Alas JC is reserved to people in a relationship, people who want to own, people with people elsewhere in NJ and the indigent.

bill's friend is in the majority...

ianmac47 - I'm talking to the majority of people here. take a sample of 1000 people and show them astoria and dixon mills area, I bet you the MAJORITY of them will choose astoria.

Posted on: 2012/7/13 19:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Everyone has an opinion... I disagree with this list, which excludes everyone born in JC and never left.

If you love real estate as much as we do, or you want to learn more about Jersey City and Hoboken, then check this out. "Best Places to Live" has hit the television airwaves. In a full half-hour episode, Daily News real estate editor Jason Sheftell checks out these two popular New York Metro area neighborhoods. Tag along while he visits parks, restaurants, top real estate projects, and cultural sights. You'll be amazed at what these two towns have to offer.
If you live in New Jersey, tune in to NJTV this Sunday at 5:30 p.m. The show also airs Monday at 4:30 a.m. and July 22 at 2:30 p.m. Sponsors include K. Hovnanian, Coldwell Banker and New Jersey Monthly magazine. Comcast subscribers should tune into NJTV on Channel 23. Cablevision subscribers can watch the episode on Channel 8.
Enjoy. We may be visiting your neighborhood soon.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style ... e-1.1113902#ixzz20X9ikgXR

Posted on: 2012/7/13 19:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/24 20:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bill wrote:
Alas JC is reserved to people in a relationship, people who want to own, people with people elsewhere in NJ and the indigent.

I agree to an extent. I can't picture JC ever being a popular area with new arrivals to the metro area. The whole, "I didn't move to NYC to live in NJ attitude". I do think, however, that it is becoming more and more of a popular option with those who are searching for many of the same characteristics as Brownstone Brooklyn and those in their mid-late 20's and up who have lived in NYC for a while and have accepted that their lives and careers will be in the area for the long term. Maybe I'm just relying on the anecdotal evidence from my own situation and those of my friends considering the area.

Sure, if you're 22 and slumming it with 5 roommates in Bushwick and are just living a freewheeling lifestyle in the NYC scene then JC won't be a draw. But if you're settling down a bit and looking for the happy medium that sorta resembles those prime Brooklyn nabes, you could do a LOT worse than Jersey City. It doesn't seem to be the best area around for singles but I don't think that's the kind of crowd JC would attract anyways. I personally am settled down, in a stable career, in a relationship, and am realistic enough to know that Thirty Acres is a reasonable surrogate for the "real deal" Momofuko since neither one is a place I'm eating at on a weekly basis.

Posted on: 2012/7/13 18:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Yes, because living in a nice area is the same as being a douchebag lol.

It's not 20 somethings either. It is also 30 somethings without a family.

A "nice" neighborhood is not defined by corian countertops and stainless steel appliances. You can find that in any "neighborhood" in America.

Maybe you love Paulus Hook or the waterfront, but from the perspective of many people, its too quiet, has too little happening and filled with the worst kinds of people.

And that is why a neighborhood like Paulus Hook, regardless of how many shiny new appliances are installed, won't appeal to certain groups of people. Or why by contrast, there are plenty of people very satisfied to live in Dixon Mills or Astoria or Inwood. Different strokes for different folks.

But it also means that to comparing the counties of New York, Kings, Queens, and Hudson makes little sense. There is as much diversity in the neighborhoods of Manhattan as there are in Jersey City or Brooklyn.

While you might think Paulus Hook the cheaper equal of some other more desirable neighborhood, some people might value Hell's kitchen the cheaper equal of Chelsea, or Montclair the cheaper equal of Ditmas Park, or Cobble Hill the cheaper equal of Brooklyn Heights. But the person desperately seeking a cheaper alternative to Chelsea will find no more satisfaction in Cobble Hill than the popped collar crowd of Murray Hill would find satisfaction in Montclair.

So to return to the question of Jersey City and how rising rents in Manhattan might increase rents across the river: yes, Manhattan rents are pressuring Jersey City rents. This explains why most of the new units coming online or under construction are rentals and not condominiums. The downtown is rapidly changing with an increasingly more mature crowd. Evidence: the ratio of new pre-schools-daycares to new bars is about 2 to 1. Rents have been rising quickly too, in large part because the newest additions to the local housing stock are expensive high rise towers.

Posted on: 2012/7/13 18:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
i have an early 30's single friend who lived in UES that is staying with me a few weeks until he finds a new apt in UES or EV. I tried to show him several merits of JC like LSP, waterfront, various restaurants, etc.

His response was fine where is the closest Trader Joe's or Whole Foods. He then proceeded to say "I don't see many cops here and not having the option of taking a cab home unless you pay $40 sucks." He concluded with "Who cares if there is a new restaurant with a former chef from Momofuku or a John's Pizza/2 Boots. I can go to the originals and more in the city."

Alas JC is reserved to people in a relationship, people who want to own, people with people elsewhere in NJ and the indigent.

Posted on: 2012/7/13 18:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Other parts of Jersey City should be looking to compete with other areas for people, not NYC. Other areas of JC - BL, Greenville, and Heights have no chance of attracting that 20 something crowd. That is why when I see luxury rentals ro condos being built there..I wonder to myself who are they trying to attract?

You happen to be completely wrong, at least about the Heights. Several of my tenants there are 20 somethings (or were when they moved in 7 years ago) and adore it. They have large affordable spaces, a relatively safe neighborhood, a nice backyard where they hold keggers, and are a short walk to the elevator down to Hoboken where some of them work. It's the buzz from people like this that will bring up that area.

Posted on: 2012/7/13 18:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Yes, because living in a nice area is the same as being a douchebag lol.

It's not 20 somethings either. It is also 30 somethings without a family.

Posted on: 2012/7/13 17:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:

Other parts of Jersey City should be looking to compete with other areas for people, not NYC. Other areas of JC - BL, Greenville, and Heights have no chance of attracting that 20 something crowd. That is why when I see luxury rentals ro condos being built there..I wonder to myself who are they trying to attract?

Not everyone looking to rent or buy is a 20 something douchebag.

Posted on: 2012/7/13 17:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
I don't think you have spent enough time outside of Jersey City.

I have. Most of my friends are in NYC - go there almost every weekend. Lived in a hole in the wall apt in Manhattan for a year and decided that was not for me. Also work in NYC.

Friends still think I'm crazy for moving back to JC.

Posted on: 2012/7/13 17:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
As someone who now lives in Dixon Mills and is a recent Manhattan transplant, I'm just curious how Dixon Mills and the area around it has the reputation of being "inconvenient". Believe me, it's not only you who says that either. Other people I know in downtown JC think its "so far" yet my walk to the Path is no further than theirs from Paulus Hook. Has living in NYC for the last many years just skewed my perspective into not thinking a 3 block walk to pretty much everything (Jersey Ave, Grove St., Newark Ave., Path) is a big deal? Anyways, sorry for the veer off topic. Having recently made the move across the Hudson myself my perspective may be skewed but it seems to me Jersey City is getting more and more attention from those priced out of prime Brooklyn. Many of my friends who are moving in the near future are now looking at it at the top of their list after having been over to visit. I think once you've lived in NYC for a while you grow up enough to realize you don't have to live in the 5 boroughs at all costs when on the other side of the river you can get the same brownstone neighborhood, more space, a faster commute, and a more laid back vibe for 2/3 the cost. Just my 2 cents but count me among the NYC transplants, not from the metro area, who are loving Jersey City.

Before I moved to Paulus Hook, I lived in the DM area. I didn't think it was inconvenient but everyone I knew did. It's a 10 minute walk to the PATH which many NY'ers are not willing to do if they move from NYC to NJ.

What people don't understand is that what applies in NYC doesn't apply in NJ. In NYC, Manhattan specifically, you can have your washer/dryer in a dingy basement, occasional roaches, a view of a building from your window, live in a 200 dq ft space, live in an area that is somewhat dangerous and that NYC apartment is still more valuable than a luxury high rise building across the street from the PATH in NJ. Why? because you're living in the city "where dreams are made" "city that never sleeps" "blah blah blah"

To even be considered by a 20 something year old who has the choice of NYC, Manhattan specifically, you need to have

1) Convenience - close to NYC
2) More Space, Amenities, Views, Parking, Full Service Building, etc.

Even with all those things, your friends will rarely visit you.

Downtown Jersey City, if it develops the night life, will have a chance to attract more people. It's a slim chance but a chance.

Posted on: 2012/7/13 17:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
I want to be clear - this is not how I think the world should be but this is how mostly everyone thinks currently.

ianmac47 - have you ever been to newport? middle aged? Yes - I see a lot of middle aged folks living at Shore Club, Crystal Point, and those luxury high rises....

And looking at your list, there is no one (who is not in one of the categories I mentioned - has kids, has family, is dumb, not afraid to get killed, poor, etc.) that would choose brownstone jersey city OVER the lower east side...really???

And Harlem (again, this is the current view and not how I would want the world to work) is waaaay above consideration over Bergen Lafayette. Come on..really?

I don't think you have spent enough time outside of Jersey City.

Posted on: 2012/7/13 17:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I want to be clear - this is not how I think the world should be but this is how mostly everyone thinks currently.

ianmac47 - have you ever been to newport? middle aged? Yes - I see a lot of middle aged folks living at Shore Club, Crystal Point, and those luxury high rises....

And looking at your list, there is no one (who is not in one of the categories I mentioned - has kids, has family, is dumb, not afraid to get killed, poor, etc.) that would choose brownstone jersey city OVER the lower east side...really???

And Harlem (again, this is the current view and not how I would want the world to work) is waaaay above consideration over Bergen Lafayette. Come on..really?

Posted on: 2012/7/13 17:24

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/25 2:28
Group:
Registered Users
median age for 07030 (Hoboken): 31.2 years
median age for 07310 (Newport): 30.2 years

source:

http://www.zip-codes.com/zip-code/07030/zip-code-07030.asp
http://www.zip-codes.com/zip-code/07310/zip-code-07310.asp

Posted on: 2012/7/13 16:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
This is the hierarchy

1. Anything in Manhattan
2. Any safe area in Brooklyn
3. Astoria and Forest Hills in Queens
4. Hoboken near Washington St
5. Newport/Downtown Jersey City
6. Unsafe areas in brooklyn
7. Unsafe areas in Queens
8. The "best areas" in the Bronx
9. Inconvenient places in Hoboken that are still safe (less than 10 min walk to PATH)
10. Inconvenient places in Newport/Downtown Jersey City that are still safe (think Dixon Mills area)
11. Unsafe areas in the Bronx
12. Anything in Hoboken
13. Other parts of Jersey City - starting with Journal square then JC heights, etc.

14. If don't live in the above places, you either

a) don't work in NYC
b) don't have a social life
c) have a family and need an actual house and good schools
d) not too bright...
e) don't care about getting murdered, stabbed, or raped
f) any combination of the above

Someone had to tell the truth..

This is a gross misunderstanding of how and where people live.

There are parts of Manhattan that are cheaper than basically anything on this list. That doesn't make those neighborhoods cheaper equivalents. It just makes them cheaper.

At best, you can group like neighborhoods together and then come up with some sort of relative price comparison.

For example:

The Young and Too Much Money:
Murray Hill
Kips Bay
Carroll Gardens
Hoboken

The Middle Age and Not Enough Money:
Roosevelt Island
Long Island City
Newport Jersey City

The Upper Income Families:
Brooklyn Heights
Park Slope
Fort Greene
Hoboken
Paulus Hook
Van Vorst Park

The Young Creative Set:
Lower East Side
Williamsburg
Bushwick
Astoria
brownstone Jersey City

The Young and Poor:
Harlem
Bushwick
Bed Stuy
Crown Heights
Bergen-Lafeyette

The Young and Wealthy:
NYU Dorms

Posted on: 2012/7/13 15:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/20 2:38
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
This is the hierarchy

1. Anything in Manhattan
9. Inconvenient places in Hoboken that are still safe (less than 10 min walk to PATH)
10. Inconvenient places in Newport/Downtown Jersey City that are still safe (think Dixon Mills area)
12. Anything in Hoboken
13. Other parts of Jersey City - starting with Journal square then JC heights, etc.

a) don't work in NYC
d) not too bright...

Pretty accurate - at least overall (if you look at average price per square foot)). There are probably a few refinements, like Williamsburg and BK Heights being more expensive than most of Harlem. And Astoria and especially Forest Hills are actually quite in demand for families, and prices can be pretty high.

But I think this list is mostly reflective of the views of young singles. Take Hoboken - in rentals and 1 bedroom condos the price per square foot is a bit higher than downtown JC, but in 2bd condos (which appeal more to couples/families) downtown JC prices have been the same or higher recently.

For what it's worth, with the ridiculous rents in Brooklyn over the past 2 years, I've seen plenty of people move to downtown JC (bringing stuff like Barcade and Two Booth with them).

Posted on: 2012/7/13 15:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/27 23:03
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
This is the hierarchy

1. Anything in Manhattan
12. Anything in Hoboken

a) don't work in NYC
d) not too bright...

Truth.

I am number 13, lovin' it, but now I understand why my place has not appreciated in value in 15 years.... Oh well.

Posted on: 2012/7/13 13:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
I'm just curious how Dixon Mills and the area around it has the reputation of being "inconvenient".

Some people just speak out of their necks... I lived in Dixon Mills for years and I never found it out of the way, or inconvenient. The further away I was from the falseness that was moving in the better.

I never took that van that DM provides. I always walked, even in the rain and snow. Welcome to JC!

Posted on: 2012/7/13 13:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/24 20:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

*snip*

*snip*

As someone who now lives in Dixon Mills and is a recent Manhattan transplant, I'm just curious how Dixon Mills and the area around it has the reputation of being "inconvenient". Believe me, it's not only you who says that either. Other people I know in downtown JC think its "so far" yet my walk to the Path is no further than theirs from Paulus Hook. Has living in NYC for the last many years just skewed my perspective into not thinking a 3 block walk to pretty much everything (Jersey Ave, Grove St., Newark Ave., Path) is a big deal?

Anyways, sorry for the veer off topic. Having recently made the move across the Hudson myself my perspective may be skewed but it seems to me Jersey City is getting more and more attention from those priced out of prime Brooklyn. Many of my friends who are moving in the near future are now looking at it at the top of their list after having been over to visit. I think once you've lived in NYC for a while you grow up enough to realize you don't have to live in the 5 boroughs at all costs when on the other side of the river you can get the same brownstone neighborhood, more space, a faster commute, and a more laid back vibe for 2/3 the cost.

Just my 2 cents but count me among the NYC transplants, not from the metro area, who are loving Jersey City.

Posted on: 2012/7/13 13:23

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JaeTea wrote:
That probably won't happen.

People who cant' afford to live in Manhattan move to Queens or Brooklyn. So you'll see rent going up there.

I know some Manhattaners who would prefer homelessness over living in Jersey City.

People aren't moving here in droves.

Lol...it's true.
The problem is the lack of transit in JC. There are vast swaths of jersey city and hoboken that are transit deserts. Sure, there's the bus, and the light rail, but most people don't want to be an entire mode of transportation away from the actual path train. Right now I am looking for a place to buy and it's hard to find a place that is less than 10 mins walk to Path. I can't justify having to walk 20 minutes to the train. I keep winding up looking in Brooklyn again, just to be close to a train...
If JC wants growth I don't know what the answer is, but they need an adequate subway that isn't just a shuttle across the hudson. you can tell that the areas that are safest/most desirable are the ones right next to the Path train.

Posted on: 2012/7/13 13:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
trust me plenty of manhattanites are moving/haved moved to JC and are loving it.

Posted on: 2012/7/13 12:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
This is the hierarchy

1. Anything in Manhattan
12. Anything in Hoboken

a) don't work in NYC
d) not too bright...

k

Posted on: 2012/7/13 3:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
This is the hierarchy

1. Anything in Manhattan
12. Anything in Hoboken

a) don't work in NYC
d) not too bright...

Posted on: 2012/7/13 3:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Naah.. he was originally from New Orleans. So the ghetto / Sectiontrojan 8 apartmentsand down the block didn't phase him. Its that part of the block that makes it hard to rent the place sometimes.

Posted on: 2012/7/13 0:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

MDM wrote:
One of my new tenants came over from Manhattan. His rent is 1/3 what he paid previously. Plus the apartment has much more space.

Let me guess, was he from the metro area originally? The migrants from flyoverland are usually the ones most desperately attached, at any cost, to saying they live in NYC.

Posted on: 2012/7/13 0:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/27 23:03
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JaeTea wrote:

People who cant' afford to live in Manhattan move to Queens or Brooklyn. So you'll see rent going up there.

I know some Manhattaners who would prefer homelessness over living in Jersey City.

Because only smart Manhattaners (sic) move to Jersey City.

Posted on: 2012/7/12 22:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
One of my new tenants came over from Manhattan. His rent is 1/3 what he paid previously. Plus the apartment has much more space.

Posted on: 2012/7/12 21:24

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/5 17:07
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/7/12 21:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/12/25 1:59
From here to eternity
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
Resized Image
and certainly the increasing rents are not stopping by the hudson ... there will be substantial rent increases on this side as well ...

Posted on: 2012/7/12 20:12

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/5 17:07
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Posted on: 2012/7/12 16:02

« 1 (2) 3 »