Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
121 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 121

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: 18 Park
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/30 14:17
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
I'm curious whether the Boys & Girls Club has moved yet? I would figure it probably has since residential tenants have started moving in to 18 Park, but interested mostly in when demolition will start on the old building.

Posted on: 2014/8/21 14:26

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/24 23:49
Group:
Registered Users
How will this affect the restaurant that is right there?

Posted on: 2014/8/21 14:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks TB. Looking forward to seeing what comes into the retail spaces. Looks like there will be some nice outdoor space on the sidewalks.

Posted on: 2014/4/7 20:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Don't know about the retail but heard last week that they are targeting moving the Boys and Girls club in during either late May or June, with demolition of B&G club very shortly after. I live in Gull's Cove and look into the building from my home - seems like the apartments are more than a month or two from being ready, but I'm not an expert.

Posted on: 2014/4/7 20:32

18 Park
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Wondering if anybody has any updates to share on this building. Is it going to be opening this summer? Anybody hear anything about retail tenants? Going to be mostly restaurant spaces (3) facing east, yeah?

Posted on: 2014/4/7 19:51

Re: Developers break ground for new Boys & Girls Clubs facility in Downtown Jersey City (18 Park)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/4 14:31
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.jerseycitylawsuit.com/chromium-sites-in-jersey-city

It does not state whether or not these sites have been completely cleaned or the stages of the remediation, but regardless it seems like something should be done to ensure the problem areas are clean before breaking new ground.

It was kind of shocking to learn how many sites there are - especially on Grand Street in a short radius. I doubt many current residents are aware of the situation.

Posted on: 2013/2/10 23:38

Re: Developers break ground for new Boys & Girls Clubs facility in Downtown Jersey City (18 Park)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

malcontent wrote:
Quote:
All listings for Grand St in that area that I've found are either outdated or hinting at remediation. Is chromium still a problem there?

Most of the new condo projects built around Grand St are on lots that have been remediated. Some people, however, believe that chromium contamination is still a problem. I, personally, am not sure what to believe.

I believe the only major chromium site in the heart of DTJC is under the parking lot of the two housing towers (Metropolis?) behind City Hall. Phase one of remediation is currently under way for that cleanup.

Regardless -- I think your point still stands. It may have been cleaned, but by living on top of those sites, you're putting a lot of trust in someone else's word.

Quote:

hero69 wrote:
won't those people be trapped in their high rises when the next storm hits?

Probably. The area around 18 Park has been elevated significantly by landfill. Marin Blvd beyond the light rail received about 8-10 feet of fill, bringing that street that may more feet above sea level. If you stand at the site of 18 Park and look down Marin towards City Hall, you're looking down hill now.

So -- 18 Park may be high and dry, but the surrounding area is still prone to flooding.

Posted on: 2013/2/10 15:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
won't those people be trapped in their high rises when the next storm hits?

Posted on: 2013/2/9 23:40

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/18 7:48
Group:
Registered Users
Here is a rendering of the high rise planned for the lot the current Boy's and Girl's Club sits on.

Link

Posted on: 2013/2/9 23:16

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/18 7:48
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
All listings for Grand St in that area that I've found are either outdated or hinting at remediation. Is chromium still a problem there?

Most of the new condo projects built around Grand St are on lots that have been remediated. Some people, however, believe that chromium contamination is still a problem. I, personally, am not sure what to believe.

Posted on: 2013/2/9 23:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/14 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
18Park is going up opposite from Gull's Cove across the Marin Blvd/Liberty Harbor Lightrail station.

Posted on: 2013/2/9 19:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

OneSkirt wrote:
I don't understand where 18 Park is geographically. There's Park St. in Bergen Lafayette. I assume this is a "new" Park St. somewhere else?

Click on the link I posted a few posts back...

Posted on: 2013/2/8 20:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
I don't understand where 18 Park is geographically. There's Park St. in Bergen Lafayette. I assume this is a "new" Park St. somewhere else?

Posted on: 2013/2/8 20:07

Re: JC Boys & Girls Club
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/4 14:44
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
In reply to ActionDan, I'm not sure that there are any specific plans available to the public regarding the existing Boys and Girls club. .

After I posted this I went to the building department and looked at the proposal on file.

Roughly where the existing Boys and Girls Club structure is they're going to build a 10-story tower, and farther east roughly where the basketball courts are they're going to build a 40-story tower (might be 45, can't remember exactly). Grove will slice through all the way to I guess what I would call Regent Street, don't know if that street is even named running along the lightrail tracks.

Posted on: 2013/2/8 13:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/22 1:46
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

thor800 wrote:
What about the chromium contamination of this site and all around Grand Street ?

Seems like it makes alot more sense to clean this up first.

Posted on: 2013/2/8 12:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/14 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
Check out hwkn.com for renderings of 18Park - they're the architect on the project. I've seen a rendering of the proposed mega-tower at the foot of Grove where the Boys & Girls club currently sits, and it looks alot like 50 Columbus...uses alot of the same colors & design elements.

Posted on: 2013/2/8 3:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/4 14:31
Group:
Registered Users
What about the chromium contamination of this site and all around Grand Street ?

Seems like it makes alot more sense to clean this up first.

Posted on: 2013/2/8 2:23

Re: JC Boys & Girls Club
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
In reply to ActionDan, I'm not sure that there are any specific plans available to the public regarding the existing Boys and Girls club. I have heard that it will be replaced, with a fairly tall building...but that's all I know. There are other people here who might know more.

I have a question regarding 18 Park. I found this floorplan for the ground floor: http://www.mwilkconsulting.com/images ... 0retail%20plan%202012.pdf

If you look on the 4 sides of the building, you'll see that there will be roads on all 4 sides of this building. Marin Blvd is there to the east, as expected. But check out the other 3 sides - Park Avenue (I guess this is the building's namesake) to the south, Morris Blvd to the north, and Seventh Street (!!?) to the west. What's the deal with Seventh Street? Haha, really random, especially when there already is a Seventh Street in Hamilton Park. Can we expect these streets to continue into a grid with the rest of Liberty Harbor in the future?

Are there any other renderings for 18 Park? I see nothing on Ironstate's website.

How do you guys feel about the exterior design of the building? I'm not a huge fan of the black and white pattern, I think it actually looks like a bit of an eyesore. I wonder if that is indeed the final design for the exterior? Details on this building have been foggy...

Posted on: 2013/2/7 23:24

JC Boys & Girls Club
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/6/4 14:44
Group:
Registered Users
Hi, first-time poster here!!!

Does anyone know where to find the design plans for the site that is currently the Jersey City Boys & Girls Club? Or even what it's called?

I know they're building a new JCB&GC now and will tear down the existing structure once it's done. I've heard they're going to build condo towers, and I'm trying to figure out where on the property they're going to be.

Thanks!!!

Posted on: 2012/10/10 23:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/12 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
The disdain for new development in Downtown JC on this forum is both idiotic and sad.

I'm sorry the days of dollar stores lining downtown are almost over....

Sure, because there is nothing between luxury condos and dollar stores. It is either one or the other.

Posted on: 2012/6/29 17:50
"Someday a book will be written on how this city can be broke in the midst of all this development." ---Brewster

Oh, wait, there is one: The Jersey Sting.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
The disdain for new development in Downtown JC on this forum is both idiotic and sad.

I'm sorry the days of dollar stores lining downtown are almost over....

Posted on: 2012/6/29 16:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
I believe the existing building need a huge investment to repair its roof, as well as upgrade a good deal of its facilities. The new development deal gives the club the upgraded facilities without bankrupting the organization.

Okay, but that is just upgrades and maintenance that the current owner does not want to pay for, it is not "blighted."

The B&GC is certainly making a great move here--without a good tenant, they certainly can't pay for maintenance on an older structure, so it is fortuitous that the developers have been so kind to put this deal together for them. Doesn't hurt that this would then free up the Canal Street "eyesore" to be demolished so that another high-density residence structure can be constructed.

Posted on: 2012/6/29 15:20
"Someday a book will be written on how this city can be broke in the midst of all this development." ---Brewster

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/12/21 14:01
Group:
Banned
FYI - we had a theatre downtown - where the Majestic Condos and restaurant now stand. The owner, the owner of the wooden house next to Ibby's, or that was the rumor, let it fall into such disrepair so that he was allowed to tear it down. I think Palace drugs was a theatre too.

Posted on: 2012/6/29 14:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bobblehead wrote:
I would gladly ship any one of a dozen cookie-cutter high rises uptown in exchange for having the Loews downtown. Any day of the week. You can have the Trump building AND that hideous Soviet-era monstrosity, Grove Pointe, in exchange for the Loews.

As for the Boys and Girls Club building being a blighted structure? Are you serious?

Resized Image

Four years ago it didn't make your list, Ian:

http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=156358

It may not be as nice as the renovated The Rocket on Newark, but it is a functioning building that for many years housed a popular school (until they had to expand). Blighted? Hardly.

Now it will be torn down, and in its place will be Gulls Cove II: The Reckoning. Will anyone be happier?

I believe the existing building need a huge investment to repair its roof, as well as upgrade a good deal of its facilities. The new development deal gives the club the upgraded facilities without bankrupting the organization.

Posted on: 2012/6/29 13:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/6/29 13:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I think they should find a way to put a park over the PATH tracks - west of Kennedy, near CH Martin. I think that would do wonders for the area and even perhaps bolster demand to live in the area.

It would also be great if they could get a liight rail extended to JSQ and then onward to Newark Airport. Nothing wrong with dreaming, is there?

Posted on: 2012/6/29 13:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned
Instead of building towers, how about starting with a basic amenity like a park in the empty space near PATH? Journal Square lacks a decent sized park.

Posted on: 2012/6/29 9:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Ground broken for new Boys & Girls Clubs home in Jersey City residential-retail highrise development

June 28, 2012, 2:38 PM
By Charles Hack/The Jersey Journal

Developers broke ground yesterday on a new home for the Boys & Girls Clubs of Hudson County that is slated to open in the fall of 2014.

After 30 years at its current facility in an adapted warehouse, the new custom quarters are part of a new 11-story, residential and retail development, with 422 rental apartments, to be called 18 Park in Jersey City.

The development is in the 80-acre Liberty Harbor Redevelopment District, an undeveloped site next to the Marin Boulevard Hudson-Bergen Light Rail Station.

Gary Greenberg, the executive director of the Boys and Girls Club, said the ribbon cutting in 15 months will be a ?jaw dropping? experience for the children, who attended yesterday?s ceremony.

?This is not an institutional type of setting. The Boys and Girls Club is probably one of the most beautiful Boys and Girls Clubs in the country,? said Greenberg. ?It is going to be fully integrated into the residential building, and that is the amazing thing.?

Greenberg said the new facilities will include a new gymnasium, dance studio and a preschool with classrooms that could be used by a future school.

?We have always been welcoming to development and investment, and it is the only way this city or any city or state can hope to compete and survive during these times,? said Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy.

Development partners Ironstate Development Co. and Kushner Real Estate Group entered a deal with the Boys and Girls Club to buy the existing building at 1 Canal St. and are seeking site approval to build a 660-unit residential building there, said Hoboken based developer David Barry, owner of Ironstate.

Barry said the developers have also established a $5 million endowment to benefit the Boys and Girls Club.

18 Park will include 550,000 square feet of studio, one- and two-bedroom residential apartments, 10,500 square fee of ground level retail space, and 230 parking spaces.

Amenities at the development will include an outdoor swimming pool, planted garden on the roof, a recreation room and 24-hour concierge service.

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... ken_for_new_boys_gir.html

Posted on: 2012/6/29 6:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
No you wouldn't, I doubt it. For years the Brennan Coffee House that does monthly folk music gigs in the old county court house under the rotunda with it's art deco designs and Sistine Chapel like art work never gets the respected audiance it deserves and it is right up Newark Ave. on the top of the hill.
http://www.brennancoffeehouse.com/home.htm
http://jclist.com/search.php

????

1. You doubt I would prefer having the Loews closer to me? And be rid of ugly towers? Even after I said I would? Uh, okay.

B. What does the Brennan Coffee House have to do with anything I said?

iii. Pancakes.

♥. Profit?!!!

Posted on: 2012/6/28 17:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bobblehead wrote:
I would gladly ship any one of a dozen cookie-cutter high rises uptown in exchange for having the Loews downtown. Any day of the week. You can have the Trump building AND that hideous Soviet-era monstrosity, Grove Pointe, in exchange for the Loews.

As for the Boys and Girls Club building being a blighted structure? Are you serious?

Resized Image

Four years ago it didn't make your list, Ian:

http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=156358

It may not be as nice as the renovated The Rocket on Newark, but it is a functioning building that for many years housed a popular school (until they had to expand). Blighted? Hardly.

Now it will be torn down, and in its place will be Gulls Cove II: The Reckoning. Will anyone be happier?

No you wouldn't, I doubt it. For years the Brennan Coffee House that does monthly folk music gigs in the old county court house under the rotunda with it's art deco designs and Sistine Chapel like art work never gets the respected audiance it deserves and it is right up Newark Ave. on the top of the hill.
http://www.brennancoffeehouse.com/home.htm
http://jclist.com/search.php

Posted on: 2012/6/28 17:35
Get on your bikes and ride !

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!