Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
109 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 109

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 8 »

Re: To JC Bikers Who Ride on Sidewalks...
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/9/23 23:05
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Yes, thanks dtjcview! How did you find that site?

I googled "JC ordinances" - came across it a few years ago and knew it was there. It's a useful reference and seems to be kept up-to-date.

Posted on: 2014/9/23 22:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
Thanks for looking up the ordinance, dtjcview, but most people - aside from us dorks who frequent this forum - are going to do legal research before jumping on their Schwinns. Maybe a few well-placed signs (DON'T RIDE ON THE SIDEWALK!!) would help.

Yes, thanks dtjcview! How did you find that site? I assumed JC had all it's codes on their own website. But I can only find this http://jerseycityonline.com/services/ ... icycle_and_pedestrian.htm on the JC website, and an (apparent) excerpt on the BikeJC website.

Posted on: 2014/9/23 21:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
Anyone know where I can buy a bell? I wouldn't want to disobey the law.

Posted on: 2014/9/23 21:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for looking up the ordinance, dtjcview, but most people - aside from us dorks who frequent this forum - are going to do legal research before jumping on their Schwinns. Maybe a few well-placed signs (DON'T RIDE ON THE SIDEWALK!!) would help.

Posted on: 2014/9/23 21:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Since yesterday morning, I've seen two delivery guys on motor-assisted bikes going at least 20 mph on sidewalks (one on Montgomery, one on Grand) and a guy on one of those mini-rocket motorbikes flying along a sidewalk on Ocean Ave.

People are dumb. There is just no other way around it.

Posted on: 2014/9/23 20:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
Here's a question: Do people even realize it's illegal to ride on the sidewalk? As I recall from my suburban youth, that's what we did...and even now I'll catch myself doing it in Newport and have to tell myself "hey dumbass, get into the street".

I Googled that very question, and still don't know the answer because JC (unlike NYC) had no information available. This link to the NJ DOT website isn't conclusive http://www.nj.gov/transportation/commuter/bike/faqs.shtm although since it also includes the nonsensical suggestion that where the street is too narrow to share that you travel several feet into the lane, to prevent cars from squeezing by you (the old-timers and hood-rats will just love that LOL).

I agree bicycles should not legally be on the sidewalks in a dense urban area, but if a savvy alternative transportation type like me can't get an answer, something is wrong.

It's in the City ordinances. Search for bicycle.

https://library.municode.com/index.asp ... 30&stateName=New%20Jersey

? 242-9.1. Definitions; bicycle riders subject to traffic regulations; riding bicycles on business district public sidewalks prohibited; riding bicycles on public sidewalks in areas outside of business districts prohibited, except for minors age nine and under; use of bicycle lanes regulated; and safety of cyclist. [Adopted 9-9-1998 by Ord. No. 98-105; Amended 5-8-2013 by Ord. No. 13-056]

A.
As used herein, "bicycle" means a vehicle propelled by human power upon which a person may ride, having two tandem wheels, either of which is twelve (12) inches or more in diameter, and may be any vehicle generally recognized as a bicycle though equipped with two front or rear wheels.
B.
As used herein, "business district" is defined as an area that is a designated Special Improvement District or is zoned for retail use.
C.
All persons operating bicycles shall have all of the rights and shall obey all applicable laws of the State of New Jersey and ordinances of this city, particularly those regulating traffic. Bicycle riders shall obey the same rules as the drivers of motor vehicles unless inapplicable.
(1)
Any person operating a bicycle within a roadway shall obey the instructions of the official traffic control signs, and other control devices applicable to vehicles, unless otherwise directed by a police officer.
(2)
No person shall ride or operate a bicycle within a roadway in any direction except that permitted of vehicular traffic traveling on the same side of the roadway, or that permitted in a bike lane.
(3)
Any person operating a bicycle within a roadway or bike lane shall stop for pedestrians in crosswalks.
D.
Every person riding a bicycle within a roadway shall ride as near to the right roadside as practicable exercising due care when passing a standing vehicle or one proceeding in the same direction. A bicyclist may move left under any of the following conditions:
(1)
To make a left turn from a left turn lane or pocket:
(2)
To avoid debris, drains, or other hazardous conditions on the right;
(3)
To pass a slower moving vehicle;
(4)
To occupy any available lane when traveling at the same speed as other traffic;
(5)
To travel no more than two abreast when traffic is not impeded, but otherwise ride in single file.
E.
It shall be unlawful for any person to operate or ride a bicycle in any of the following places:
(1)
On any public property where signs are posted by the Traffic Engineer prohibiting such use;
(2)
On private property where a sign prohibiting bicycle riding has been posted by the owner, lessee or person in charge of such property;
(3)
On sidewalks in business districts;
(4)
On sidewalks outside of business district areas, except for minors age nine and under.
F.
Use of bicycle lanes. Whenever a bicycle lane has been established on a roadway, any person operating a bicycle upon the roadway at a speed less than the normal speed of traffic moving in the same direction shall ride within the bicycle lane, except that such person may move out of the lane under any of the following situations:
(1)
Whenever overtaking or passing another bicycle, vehicle or pedestrian within the lane or about to enter the lane if such overtaking and passing cannot be done safely within the lane.
(2)
When preparing for a turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.
(3)
When reasonably necessary to leave the bicycle lane to avoid debris or other hazardous conditions.
G.
No person operating a bicycle shall leave a bicycle lane until the movement can be made with reasonable safety and then only after giving an appropriate signal.
H.
In addition to bicyclists, the following are permitted to use bicycle lanes;
(1)
Individuals using roller blades, scooters, and skateboards; and
(2)
Individuals using motorized wheelchairs with an orange safety flag at least five feet above the street level; and
(3)
Bicyclists with attached trailers for children with an orange safety flag attached to the rear of the portage vehicle at least five feet above the street level.
I.
Equipment. It shall be unlawful for the driver of the bicycle to wear more than one earphone attached to an audio device while operating a bicycle.
J.
Carry Articles. No person operating a bicycle shall carry any package device, or article which prevents the rider from keeping both hands upon the handles bars.
K.
Clinging to moving motor vehicles is prohibited.
L.
Lamps and equipment on bicycles.
(1)
Bicycles in use when dark shall be equipped with a lamp on the front which shall omit a white light visible from a distance of at least five hundred (500) feet to the front and with a red reflector on the rear of a type which shall be visible from fifty (50) feet to three hundred (300) feet to the rear. A lamp omitting a red light visible from distance of five hundred (500) feet to the rear may be used in addition to the red reflector.
(2)
Bicycles shall be equipped with a brake which will enable the operator to make the braked wheel skid on dry, level, clean pavement.
(3)
Bicycles shall be equipped with a bell to serve as audible signal to vehicles, pedestrians, and other bicyclists.

Posted on: 2014/9/23 20:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCMan8 wrote:
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Jersey City needs to ticket bikes on sidewalks -- I just saw someone get hit walking out of a store onto Newark Avenue's sidewalk. This could/will happen here if nothing is done.

http://nypost.com/2014/09/18/cyclist- ... destrian-in-central-park/

Resized Image

Woman brain-dead after getting hit by cyclist in Central Park

September 18, 2014
NY Post

A cyclist pedaling a $4,000 racing bike at high speed through Central Park slammed into a suburban mom in town shopping for her daughter?s birthday present ? leaving the woman brain-dead, sources said.

Jill Tarlov, 59, of Fairfield, Conn., the wife of a CBS executive, was in a crosswalk near 63rd Street when Jason Marshall, 31, came barreling along West Drive at around 4:30 p.m. and yelled for her to get out of his way, law enforcement sources said.

Tarlov was rushed to New York-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center, where she was declared brain-dead, the sources said.

Tarlov, whose husband, Michael Wittman, is a senior vice president at CBS, was out shopping for her daughter?s present when she was tragically struck, sources said.

Because of this incident, cops in NYC have begun aggressively ticketing bikers who don't follow the rules.

http://nypost.com/2014/09/23/cops-con ... -cyclists-after-mom-dies/

Good news -- should happen here.

Ticket blitz on cyclists as family mourn mom struck in Central Park

By Shawn Cohen
September 23, 2014

Cops have been cracking down on cyclists ? like this one in Central Park, who got a ticket for wearing earbuds in both ears while cycling ? following the death of mom Jill Tarlov (inset) after she was struck by a speed demon last week.

Man says Central Park cyclist nearly ran him over, too
Central Park cyclist veered into wrong lanes before tragic crash

Cops are slamming the brakes on dangerous Central Park cyclists ? as the mom struck in the park last week died.
Police hit riders with 103 summonses during a weekend crackdown that was launched a day after Jill Tarlov was hit by a speed demon on a high-per?formance bike, according to NYPD stats.

Tarlov, of Connecticut, died from her injuries on Sunday night, her family announced Monday.

Between Friday and Sunday, 29 riders were caught failing to yield to pedestrians, 26 blew red lights and 30 were ticketed for wearing headphones, according to the NYPD.

Officers wrote 42 of the tickets in a ?targeted enforcement area? along West Drive from West 60th to West 65th streets ? the busy area where Tarlov was hit on Thursday.

Fifty-six summonses were doled out on Friday, 27 on Saturday and 20 on Sunday.

Cops were already on a record ticketing pace in the park before the bike blitz. They wrote 468 total summonses ? including 233 for failure to yield to pedestrians ? between Jan. 1 and Sept. 14.

That is a 210 percent spike from the same period in 2013, when 151 summonses were issued.

A cop uses a radar gun in Central Park as cyclists ride by.

?I follow the rules,? parkgoer Dr. Jonathan Schrott, 59, said Monday of the amped-up enforcement. ?And I think they should crack down on everybody who breaks the rules. That includes pedestrians.?

But cyclists were still riding rampant Monday. During a 30-minute span, a Post reporter witnessed 67 of 69 park cyclists pedal right through a red light. None was ticketed.

A 37-year-old cyclist who only gave a first name, Allan, was stopped by police at around 4:15 p.m. for running a light on West Drive near West 65th Street ? just north of the crash site.
?I didn?t know they were cracking down,? he said. ?Makes sense, people are dying. It?s crazy, nobody knows the rules.?
But he also admitted bikers? routine recklessness.

?Everyone goes through reds,? he said.

A radar gun tracks a cyclist at 28 mph. The speed limit for cyclists in Central Park is 25 mph.

Lina Petion, 47, who lives on West 72nd Street, said the crackdown was needed to make Central Park a safer place.
?This is a park, you have to feel safe,? she said. ?There are kids here.?

Knowles Johnson, 44, who was biking through the park, stopped at the scene of the accident to leave flowers and pay his respects.

?I?m a cyclist some days, I?m a pedestrian some days ? but I?m a father and a son every day,? he said.

Cyclist Shelly Mossey, who also left a bouquet of white roses at the site ? as well as a sign that read ?NYC cyclists care? ? put some of the blame on clueless pedestrians.

?They don?t need NYPD ? they need pedestrian crossing guards and some common sense,? Mossey, 60, sniffed. ?Hopefully this will wake the whole city up. That woman did not need to die.?

Tarlov, a mother of two, was left brain-dead from Thursday?s crash and spent the weekend on life support.

Jason Marshall, 31 ? who witnesses said was speeding on his $4,000 Jamis Eclipse bike ? has not been criminally charged.

Posted on: 2014/9/23 18:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
There is a young man zooming around, on the sidewalk, in Bergen Lafayette-on a motorized scooter. And it's very noisy as well. The cops don't seem to mind for some reason.

I have witnessed this fiasco the last time I was at Nu Bar (which was great). He was even riding children around with no helmets of course.

Posted on: 2014/9/23 17:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCishome wrote:
Here's a question: Do people even realize it's illegal to ride on the sidewalk? As I recall from my suburban youth, that's what we did...and even now I'll catch myself doing it in Newport and have to tell myself "hey dumbass, get into the street".

I Googled that very question, and still don't know the answer because JC (unlike NYC) had no information available. This link to the NJ DOT website isn't conclusive http://www.nj.gov/transportation/commuter/bike/faqs.shtm although since it also includes the nonsensical suggestion that where the street is too narrow to share that you travel several feet into the lane, to prevent cars from squeezing by you (the old-timers and hood-rats will just love that LOL).

I agree bicycles should not legally be on the sidewalks in a dense urban area, but if a savvy alternative transportation type like me can't get an answer, something is wrong.

Posted on: 2014/9/23 17:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/18 17:32
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/9/23 15:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/1 3:02
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
Jersey City needs to ticket bikes on sidewalks -- I just saw someone get hit walking out of a store onto Newark Avenue's sidewalk. This could/will happen here if nothing is done.

http://nypost.com/2014/09/18/cyclist- ... destrian-in-central-park/

Resized Image

Woman brain-dead after getting hit by cyclist in Central Park

September 18, 2014
NY Post

A cyclist pedaling a $4,000 racing bike at high speed through Central Park slammed into a suburban mom in town shopping for her daughter?s birthday present ? leaving the woman brain-dead, sources said.

Jill Tarlov, 59, of Fairfield, Conn., the wife of a CBS executive, was in a crosswalk near 63rd Street when Jason Marshall, 31, came barreling along West Drive at around 4:30 p.m. and yelled for her to get out of his way, law enforcement sources said.

Tarlov was rushed to New York-Presbyterian Hospital/Weill Cornell Medical Center, where she was declared brain-dead, the sources said.

Tarlov, whose husband, Michael Wittman, is a senior vice president at CBS, was out shopping for her daughter?s present when she was tragically struck, sources said.

Because of this incident, cops in NYC have begun aggressively ticketing bikers who don't follow the rules.

http://nypost.com/2014/09/23/cops-con ... -cyclists-after-mom-dies/

Posted on: 2014/9/23 15:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Have a read of the ordinances - I doubt anyone obeys every single ordinance. Who has a bell? What parent would let a 10-year old cycle on busy streets? And what cop is going to bother chasing down every cyclist breaking the rules? (Search for bicycle). https://library.municode.com/index.asp ... 30&stateName=New%20Jersey

A targeted ticketing campaign might work, if zero-tolerance areas like business districts and parks are identified and marked, and if the fines are directed to a city-sponsored cycle safety program.

But universal enforcement in JC? I think you can forget that delusion.

I certainly don't expect universal enforcement in JC. I know the reality of the situation. But, a concerted effort would be nice. I see tons of idiots riding sidewalks at fairly high speeds, I sometimes see two people riding abreast on sidewalks (for whatever reason, this is more common in Newport!) and, as an avid cyclist, I have strong opinions on the matter. Cyclists who CHOSE to go on the sidewalk should dismount and walk.

Posted on: 2014/9/23 7:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
There is a young man zooming around, on the sidewalk, in Bergen Lafayette-on a motorized scooter. And it's very noisy as well. The cops don't seem to mind for some reason.

Posted on: 2014/9/22 23:29

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/3/8 12:16
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
I walk my bike when I am on the side walk or any pedestrian plaza. People will continue to ride on the sidewalk in JC because nothing is enforced. I have seen many, many people get ticketed here in NYC for going the wrong way on a one way road or riding on the sidewalk.. even slow riders. go figure.

Yeah, i'd walk on plazas for sure, but I think there are many more empty sidewalks in JC than NYC - which i guess still doesn't make it right

Posted on: 2014/9/22 21:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
I walk my bike when I am on the side walk or any pedestrian plaza. People will continue to ride on the sidewalk in JC because nothing is enforced. I have seen many, many people get ticketed here in NYC for going the wrong way on a one way road or riding on the sidewalk.. even slow riders. go figure.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2014/9/22 21:10

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/3/8 12:16
Group:
Registered Users
Getting to this conversation late, but i admit i do cycle on sidewalks every now and then.

I stay on the road as much as I can, but there are always occasions when i'd rather get on the sidewalk, than get crushed between a truck and a double parked car.

On the sidewalk, i take it slow and i'm ready to break all the time. I go even slower (almost stopping) when i see other people on the sidewalk, especially older people or kids. I guess not everyone is as discerning though. : /

Posted on: 2014/9/22 20:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Have a read of the ordinances - I doubt anyone obeys every single ordinance. Who has a bell? What parent would let a 10-year old cycle on busy streets? And what cop is going to bother chasing down every cyclist breaking the rules? (Search for bicycle). https://library.municode.com/index.asp ... 30&stateName=New%20Jersey

A targeted ticketing campaign might work, if zero-tolerance areas like business districts and parks are identified and marked, and if the fines are directed to a city-sponsored cycle safety program.

But universal enforcement in JC? I think you can forget that delusion.

Posted on: 2014/9/22 10:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
But I don't believe the right answer is to ticket everyone. I'd expect the police to exercise discretion and good judgement. And by all means ticket the reckless.

WRONG. People SHOULD be ticketed. At the very minimum, there should be enforcement that forces people to follow the established rules.

I have said it before: if you are too afraid to ride on the road, as legally required, then don't ride. Riding on sidewalks is simply unfair to everyone. Even if you are riding "slow" you will be faster than pedestrians, and no one expects you to be there, which can lead to accidents and/or near misses. I get it: drivers in JC are crazy. You still have to follow the law and play your part in making things better.

Posted on: 2014/9/22 0:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:

...and I got hit with a ball by some McNair kids playing volleyball in HP a couple of days ago.

SO NOT EVEN CLOSE TO BEING A LOGICAL ANALOGY. jesus. in a park, you expect ball-playing. when walking out of a store onto a sideWALK, you should not have to brace yourself to get hit by a speeding bike.

The analogy was quite simple. The cyclist was obviously in the wrong because they were breaking city ordinances. If they injured someone, they'd have no defense in a lawsuit. Same goes for people ball playing areas of the park where ball playing is prohibited.

But I don't believe the right answer is to ticket everyone. I'd expect the police to exercise discretion and good judgement. And by all means ticket the reckless.

Posted on: 2014/9/20 23:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:

...and I got hit with a ball by some McNair kids playing volleyball in HP a couple of days ago.

SO NOT EVEN CLOSE TO BEING A LOGICAL ANALOGY. jesus. in a park, you expect ball-playing. when walking out of a store onto a sideWALK, you should not have to brace yourself to get hit by a speeding bike.

Posted on: 2014/9/20 19:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

On_The_3rd wrote:
The bike pictured in the photo which matches the description from the article clearly has brakes, you can see them. Second, if the bike lane is unsafe to use, the cyclist has the right to take the "car" lane. I'm not defending the cyclist by any means as from my personal experience, if you have enough time yell at someone to get out of the way, you have enought time to stop, slow or evade.

My comment about the lack of brakes was from what I heard on the TV news; they now say he was riding a $4,000 Jamis Eclipse bike, which does have brakes.

In any case, the rider isn't going to be charged. Sadly, accidents happen. But do note that DeBlasio has amped up bicycle rider enforcement since taking office apparently (as well as pedestrian enforcement).

Posted on: 2014/9/20 11:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:
An older woman walked out of a store -- she could not see the speeding bike riling on the sidewalk -- he knocked her down! Sure, the bike rider felt bad -- but so what.

Yes. So what? If there was real damage - wouldn't there be a lawsuit?

Posted on: 2014/9/20 2:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/11 14:53
Group:
Registered Users
The bike pictured in the photo which matches the description from the article clearly has brakes, you can see them. Second, if the bike lane is unsafe to use, the cyclist has the right to take the "car" lane. I'm not defending the cyclist by any means as from my personal experience, if you have enough time yell at someone to get out of the way, you have enought time to stop, slow or evade.

Posted on: 2014/9/20 1:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
And an idiot biker was zooming in Central Park today and hit a woman, rendering her brain dead-he was on a racing bike that doesn't have brakes. Throw the book at him.

Posted on: 2014/9/20 0:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
An older woman walked out of a store -- she could not see the speeding bike riding on the sidewalk -- he knocked her down! Sure, the bike rider felt bad -- but so what.

Quote:

dtjcview wrote:
Quote:

GrovePath wrote:

How about applying some simple common-sense? Or do you think our lives need to be governed by rules proscribed by rule nazis?

Posted on: 2014/9/20 0:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Generally, bipeds really don't care to be aware. The smokers lighting up on the Walkway outside the Harborside complex are the worst-climbing down the stairs right onto the Walkway, sparking up a smoke, on their iPhones, and clueless.

Posted on: 2014/9/19 23:34

Re: A LETTER TO THE JERK OFF RIDING A BIKE ON THE SIDEWALK THIS FINE MONDAY MORNING
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/28 7:31
From 280 Grove Street
Group:
Registered Users
I'm no expert, but I would have thought that when you have a shared path (bikes and pedestrians) speed should be reduced to the pedestrian speed when amongst them.

With kids, the old and frail using a walkway, common sense might need to apply ! I'd hate to be hard of hearing or suffer a physical disability when a cyclist comes barreling down the path!

I would have thought a shared path is one where cyclists cruise at a safe speed and are able to stop on a dime in pedestrian traffic, not race like they are in the Tour de France!

Posted on: 2014/9/19 23:26
My humor is for the silent blue collar majority - If my posts offend, slander or you deem inappropriate and seek deletion, contact the webmaster for jurisdiction.

Re: A LETTER TO THE JERK OFF RIDING A BIKE ON THE SIDEWALK THIS FINE MONDAY MORNING
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Monroe wrote:
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Hudson River Waterfront Walkway - The word walkway might suggest that it isn't an exclusive speedway expressway for bikes !

A pedestrian at times is like being a 3rd class citizen - we can't zig zag and are expected to be robotic in the way we move so its predicable for on coming cyclists - Next we'll be asked to give hand signals when we turn and carry a small horn !

And there are signs announcing it's a mixed use path with images of bikes and bipeds for the stupid to be aware. The unaware ones are mostly the bipeds. The serious bikers don't use it anyway, as the speeds they want to achieve just aren't do-able. Pedestrians walking 5 or 6 abreast, knuckleheads looking down and texting and not walking in a straight line are the danger on the HRWW mostly. And if the biped has his earbuds in (as often happens) they can't hear you when you announce 'on your left' as you pass. That is, if they're walking to the right anyway . . .

I had a young kid on a bike shout "on your left" to me a few days ago. Kudos to him and his dad who was with him. I'd also say though - you gotta treat peds like deer in your headlights...

Posted on: 2014/9/19 23:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

fat-ass-bike wrote:
Hudson River Waterfront Walkway - The word walkway might suggest that it isn't an exclusive speedway expressway for bikes !

A pedestrian at times is like being a 3rd class citizen - we can't zig zag and are expected to be robotic in the way we move so its predicable for on coming cyclists - Next we'll be asked to give hand signals when we turn and carry a small horn !

And there are signs announcing it's a mixed use path with images of bikes and bipeds for the stupid to be aware. The unaware ones are mostly the bipeds. The serious bikers don't use it anyway, as the speeds they want to achieve just aren't do-able. Pedestrians walking 5 or 6 abreast, knuckleheads looking down and texting and not walking in a straight line are the danger on the HRWW mostly. And if the biped has his earbuds in (as often happens) they can't hear you when you announce 'on your left' as you pass. That is, if they're walking to the right anyway . . .

Posted on: 2014/9/19 23:13

(1) 2 3 4 ... 8 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017