Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
92 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 92

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 »

Re: To JC Bikers Who Ride on Sidewalks...
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

greenville wrote:
Have you guys seen the deaths and hit and runs lately o cyclist?

No, I have not. Care to share?

Quote:

greenville wrote:
There is a reason why some people ride on the sidewalk.

Other than pure, selfish reasons? I have yet to see a fully valid reason. Crazy drivers abound? Yes, I know, I deal with it, too. Bad roads? Same as for everyone else. Not feel safe/comfortable? Get on the sidewalk, dismount, WALK your bike. Ultimately, if you are rationalizing riding on sidewalks you are just rationalizing being too lazy (and/or too much in a rush to get somewhere) to spend the extra time necessary to do the legal and responsible thing: walking your bike while on the sidewalk.

Quote:

greenville wrote:
This isn't NYC, we don't have that much pedestrian traffic.

Wow. So, you have now declared that JC does not have much pedestrian traffic. I should ask: have you actually been to DT JC? I see LOTS of people walking around. Maybe I just see dead people.

Posted on: 2014/5/15 19:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/21 2:00
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

RUinHamiltonPark wrote:
I am not a cyclist, but as a driver to work during the week and a pedestrian on the weekend to run errands during the day and go to bars and restaurants at night, I see in this thread that the cyclists attitude on the streets and sidewalks is confirmed here.

I vowed to say no more on this since the same things have been said over and over for months. Say it once, why say it again? But I can't resist thinking how crazy people are here. Now the above general statement is being made that "the cyclists attitude on the streets and sidewalks is confirmed here."

First, I beg to differ. There's been inane statements made in this thread on both sides but frankly, I can only recall one pro bike user being a jerk judging from the things he said, i.e., running over pedestrians intentionally. It seems many bike riders offered compelling arguments why it's necessary to ride on the sidewalk sometimes. It also seems to me that many pedestrians are stubborn and don't want to listen to anyone but themselves and people who agree with them. Anyway, JClist is fortunately not a barometer of Jersey City and this tread is laughable.

It never ceases to amaze me how dogmatic some people are. I am a biker, pedestrian and motorist. Situations vary and sometimes it's necessary to use your brain rather than some lofty principle.

Posted on: 2014/5/15 18:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Be carefull when exiting buildings, rude and careless bikers can wiz by and clip you. Hit & Run and nothing to sue them for.

Posted on: 2014/5/15 17:51
Get on your bikes and ride !

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/12 16:50
Group:
Registered Users
As a driver I can?t even guess how many close calls I have had with cyclists riding on the sidewalk who ride out into the crosswalk when I am making a turn. I am a relatively careful driver, but I am looking out for pedestrians crossing the street between 2 and 5 mph, not a bike that is travelling much faster. It is tough to see an approaching cyclist on the sidewalk behind parked cars, and the cyclist shoots out into the crosswalk in a split second. When I am on my bike, this is a non-issue because I ride in the f-ing street.

Posted on: 2014/5/15 17:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/8 19:37
From Soho West
Group:
Registered Users
I have seen multiple cyclists riding on the sidewalk on Marin Blvd right past entrances to buildings nevermind the street is always filled with pedestrians.

I am not a cyclist, but as a driver to work during the week and a pedestrian on the weekend to run errands during the day and go to bars and restaurants at night, I see in this thread that the cyclists attitude on the streets and sidewalks is confirmed here.

It seems to me that many people think that on a bike they not only do not need to obey traffic laws, but that the entirety of the sidewalk and the street is their god-given domain to act like a jerk.

Posted on: 2014/5/15 16:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/2/7 20:21
Group:
Registered Users
Have you guys seen the deaths and hit and runs lately o cyclist? There is a reason why some people ride on the sidewalk. This isn't NYC, we don't have that much pedestrian traffic.

Posted on: 2014/5/15 16:15
ಠ_ಠ

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/23 10:53
Group:
Registered Users
What we do need is a bike path going across the bridge on BOTH sides.
There is a pathway going across the 1&9 bridge but its on the North side, more people walk/bike on the South side of the 1&9 bridge to get to work since there is a traffic light at the bottom at Communipaw ave & 440.

Posted on: 2014/5/15 15:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2014/5/15 13:35

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/21 20:09
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

brewster wrote:
Several people have mentioned Baldwin and some other narrow 2 way streets as real problems. Seems to me a big part of the problem is the insistence on keeping these 2 way! Downtown and Hoboken have few 2 ways (never mind narrow ones like Baldwin which isn't even wide enough for parking on both sides) with the exception of Newark East of Jersey, which should definitely be 1 way. But the Heights (and presumably other areas too) is full of these crazy narrow N-S 2 way roads. Making these 1 way with bike lanes would go a long way to making the city more bike friendly.

A very solid idea... One way streets are safer for bikes and pedestrians. I don't know if Baldwin is the best example (as that seems to be the only workable driving/car solution, Palisades being slowed down by chicken buses) but it would be good to have something.

Posted on: 2014/1/18 17:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Several people have mentioned Baldwin and some other narrow 2 way streets as real problems. Seems to me a big part of the problem is the insistence on keeping these 2 way! Downtown and Hoboken have few 2 ways (never mind narrow ones like Baldwin which isn't even wide enough for parking on both sides) with the exception of Newark East of Jersey, which should definitely be 1 way. But the Heights (and presumably other areas too) is full of these crazy narrow N-S 2 way roads. Making these 1 way with bike lanes would go a long way to making the city more bike friendly.

Posted on: 2014/1/7 22:34

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I think some of the comments are based on a limited observation of downtown cycling conditions. Most of which is best handled on the road, absolutely not the sidewalk, but then as pointed above, there are exceptions, 35-50mph Grand St being one that I mostly avoid, and occasionally use the pedestrian-free sidewalks on. Baldwin, likewise. There are many streets and routes in this sprawling town, to make dogmatic comments is easy. To be sensible, a little less so. No one in their right mind enjoys riding on the sidewalk.

Unfortunately the entire traffic/rules/respect culture is deeply wrong in the US and sadly, even more so in NYC/North NJ. Peds are awful, drivers are awful and some cyclists are awful. Of those three groups (and I belong to all and make my share of mistakes in each), even with occasional sidewalk/wrong-way forays and red light rolls I think cyclists are among the least problematic for other road users, primarily because they are still so few.

Posted on: 2014/1/7 20:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
I try to go out of my way to either use the roadway instead of the sidewalk or if some streets are either dangerous or not compliant for cyclists. However there are some exceptions, going north on Baldwin Ave. being one of them. From Academy St. to Magnolia Ave. the street is too narrow for a bike at times and the cars do not create a friendly atmosphere so using the sidewalk can make sense there are no intersecting streets and very few homes. When riding in this fashion it is always proper to be mindful of pedestrains while you are sharing their walk with them.

Posted on: 2014/1/7 12:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/11/21 2:00
Group:
Registered Users
It's very dangerous to look at things as black and white, right and wrong and no in between.

I am a year round bicycle rider as others here. I also do my best to follow traffic laws. But the rule of common sense applies first.

One example of many... as has been mentioned, there are crazy motorists in this town. Although they're probably a minority, all it takes is one to have an accident. Grand Ave. by the intersection of Pacific through to Grove St. has little room for bike riders and drivers regularly speed. There's been numerous accidents and some fatalities in this section, previously discussed on jclist. It's particularly dangerous during rush hour.

Having said that, I ride the sidewalk on a portion of Grand St., mostly from Pacific to Monmouth. I'll walk it if there are pedestrians and it is not safe, but there is little if any pedestrian traffic and I go maybe a little more than 5mph. Not a danger to anyone. I feel no guilt at all. I'd rather live to see tomorrow than be remembered as the biker that followed the rules. This wouldn't be necessary if drivers followed the law and/or there were bike lanes.

There is a feeling among some/many drivers that they own the road and bicyclists are a hindrance. This seems to be more prevalent in Jersey City than any other place I have ridden.

The world is not black and white.

Posted on: 2014/1/7 10:23

Edited by anonymess on 2014/1/7 10:42:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Don't lump me with the crazy drivers that also rationalize their antics and lack of regard for others. I am a cyclist, and get around by bicycle year-round. I am also a motorcyclist, but I am mindful to not be a LOUD, annoying one. And, I am also a driver, but I only do about 4,000 miles per year.

What I said, I did as a cyclist that is mindful of his place and surroundings. Yes, I am constantly appalled by the crazy, aggressive drivers (you will find many posts of mine deploring that) but that doesn't entitle me to break the law and be a douche that rides on the sidewalks. I try to share the lane when it is safe to do so, and when it isn't, I take the whole lane and let the bastards behind me get riled up. I have been sideswiped by cars in NYC and JC, doored three times in NYC, have collided with clueless pedestrians (mostly tourists) all over NYC that choose to walk on bike lanes, or cross the streets without looking to see who is coming, or jump into the streets from in between cars. The point is that we HAVE to share the roads, and us being on the sidewalks will only lead to more confusion and lead to more chaos.

Posted on: 2014/1/7 0:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:
If the roads conditions do not allow for safe riding, dismount and walk your bike. Those trying to justify their doing so are simply rationalizing their disregard for the law. It's that simple.

The road conditions are unsafe for riding because the drivers of cars either disregard the traffic laws (many of you on another post tried to rationalize doing a "rolling stop" at a stop sign or red light - everyone does it, I could "see" there was no-one coming) or are not competent drivers.

When there is a crackdown on this - and the police start pulling people out of cars for "rolling" stops, or stop in crosswalks, or pull past the white line and block the bus, or fail to yield to pedestrians in cross walks, or... and makes them catch the next jitney, THEN I will worry about my so-called "rationalizing"...

Posted on: 2014/1/6 19:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I have to agree with Monroe: people are being selfish and thinking about themselves.

There is absolutely no excuse to ride on a sidewalk. If the roads conditions do not allow for safe riding, dismount and walk your bike. Those trying to justify their doing so are simply rationalizing their disregard for the law. It's that simple.

Posted on: 2014/1/5 23:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/10/5 21:44
Group:
Registered Users
In Hoboken, where there are clear, separate walking lanes and bike lanes, walkers are much more likely to be walking in the bike lanes than bikers biking in the walking lanes.

People generally don't give a shit about anyone but themselves, sadly.

Posted on: 2014/1/5 23:44

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/7 18:41
Group:
Registered Users
If you avoid riding in the street because drivers are not welcoming you are failing to do your part to make this a more bike-friendly community. The more cyclists take to the the streets, the more acclimated drivers will become to their presence.

Let's remember that JC streets existed before cars; they were not built for cars to the exclusion of other users.

All road users should be able share this common resource. Just use common sense and have a generous spirit.

For those who lack confidence, get out to Liberty State Park r Lincoln Park and practice holding your line on the park roads there.

And for gods sake, do not bike salmon! You put yourself, pedestrians, fellow-cyclists, and drivers at risk.

: )

Posted on: 2014/1/5 23:27

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
It simply depends on the sidewalk, not so B&W. Of course, Newark Ave, Grove St and plenty of downtown sidewalks should never have bikes... But you'd be surprised in other wards. Drivers expect to see you on the sidewalk. Two-three years ago, on one of my first visits to the heights, I nearly got attacked by two guys in an SUV because my riding up the Congress hill delayed them for a second. "Get off the street, they yelled."

All rule sticklers who are perfect on the boards break rules in real life. Let's be reasonable and coexist. I mostly far and away prefer riding on the street. There are exceptions to that, mainly due to safety. Our roads and driving public are not ready for bicycles on some streets/intersections. The flip side is that not every sidewalk is busy, far from it. 90% of this city's sidewalks by length are deserted.

And what about the peds that walk in the middle of icy streets when the sidewalks are already clear? Should I run them over in my bike or car because they are doing the wrong thing? Do you really call out everyone committing traffic offenses? That would be a great recipe for a very short and stressful life.

Posted on: 2014/1/5 14:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/30 19:53
Group:
Registered Users
well said!

Quote:

JCbiscuit wrote:
I am pro-bike, pro-mass-transit, pro-fewer cars, and I still would like you to keep your two-wheeled ass off of the sidewalk. what are you, five?

this is a city, for Pete's sake. the sidewalks are crowded. stay on the road.

Posted on: 2014/1/5 13:46

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/29 19:11
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Finally someone tackles those with earbuds in. Home is a place to "switch off"from the World. Not the street.
I ride on sidewalk with my dog as street is way too dangerous here. Being polite, slow and considerate to pedestrians is a MUST for us who ride.
The ones who use sidewalks to fly by, are in my opinion, in the same bucket as the ones who switch off.

Manners, common sense and everyone should be able to function.

Posted on: 2014/1/5 12:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Wishful_Thinking wrote:
The majority of the people on this board push the car-centric status quo, and they are creating more problems than just people riding their bikes on the sidewalk. We live in a CITY for Pete's sake...

I am pro-bike, pro-mass-transit, pro-fewer cars, and I still would like you to keep your two-wheeled ass off of the sidewalk. what are you, five?

this is a city, for Pete's sake. the sidewalks are crowded. stay on the road.

Posted on: 2014/1/5 1:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/17 13:40
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jedo1 wrote:
...If you're too SCARED to ride on the street without a bike lane, then do everyone a favor and sell your bike, then you won't have everyone quietly wondering why you're such a moron.

Thanks!

Why didn't I think of that!? Get rid of my bike, and be one more d-bag in a car contributing to the problem of congestion, air-pollution, paving over of every scrap of grass sidewalk median for another parking spot.

No. The majority of the people on this board push the car-centric status quo, and they are creating more problems than just people riding their bikes on the sidewalk. We live in a CITY for Pete's sake, yet too many people carry on like this is Levittown West...

Here is a little something to add to the conversational fray - a small but growing contingent of bicycle riders are arguing that the push to mandate helmet use is a plot by the automobile industry to promote a culture of fear, to dissuade people from riding bikes at all - http://www.bikehugger.com/post/view/whats-with-all-the-helmet-hati Hmmm...

Posted on: 2014/1/4 21:20

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/27 1:26
Group:
Registered Users
You cannot ignore the infrstructure constraints that Jersey City has. Yes, some streets are too narrow to "share the road" safely, but ironically some of those are identified as ones bikers should use. Many of the single lane, two way streets force bikers to take the lane, frustrating drivers behind them, -- or -- to try to share the road by coming up very close to parked cars and risk getting doored or sideswipped ... Not great alternatives for bikers. Wider streets (e.g., Kennedy Blvd.) have drivers who are speeding, are not used to sharing the road, plus those who are busy texting, having phone calls, eating and/or doing anything else that may be done behind a wheel.

While not downplaying the need for "biking classes" (the Tucson program does look very good) -- driver awareness about sharing the road and steps to create safer conditions for cyclists on streets is needed. You can have the safest, experienced cyclist on the street doing everything right and that cycllist is still at the mercy of drivers who are frustrated that a cyclist is "in their way" or who are just not paying attention to their surroundings.

While not condoning riding on the sidewalk... If you want cyclists to use the roads, make it safe for them to do so. Jersey City needs more car-alternatives -- people complain about traffic, parking, etc.. all the time. More and more cities are encouraging "green" alternatives and are getting funding for such programs. It would be nice if Jersey City got more serious about developing such programs, including ones directed at increasing bike safety. As someone who has cycled NYC streets for decades, I would not have envisioned years ago the lengths that NYC took in promoting bike-riding (from dedicated, sectioned-off bike lanes to the Citibikes initiative) ... but they took the plunge, made the streets safer for cyclists, and everyone wins. I don't expect the same level of actions from Jersey City, but, I would love to see it take even baby steps in this direction over then next couple of years.
Quote:

hilltopgirl wrote:
Quote:

jzara wrote:
i see a lot of ambling people on bikes just cruising on the sidewalk around here and it's obvious it's a symptom of having zero bike infrastructure.

I think it's more a question of bike culture than infrastructure. Sure, exclusive bike lanes are awesome and Hoboken's are even comfy (I do use them and have seen other use them too), but they are not viable in many of our narrow streets. Still, that doesn't mean you get to ride on the sidewalk, or that you should squeeze against parked cars so that angry driver behind you can pass you and clip you on the way -- you take the lane. Most of those narrow streets have very low speed limits (25 mph) and dealing with a cyclist who forces you to slow down is one of the perks of living in a city like this. The suburbs have wider streets, higher speed limits, and less cyclists, so that's an option for those who want speed around town.

With the exception of young kids, nobody has any business riding on the sidewalk. Those who do so are afraid, don't know how to ride safely on the street, and not equipped to deal with the harassment from a--hole drivers. Even if the city made it "OK" to cruise at walking speeds on the sidewalk (what were they thinking????), as our population grows following the city's current high-density model, the only place for bikes is on the streets.

Tucson, AZ has a series of programs aimed at promoting "share the road" and street savviness for cyclist that would be worth adapting/replicating: http://bikeped.pima.gov/allsafetyclasses.html
(No corporate sponsors required).

Posted on: 2014/1/3 17:25

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/25 0:04
Group:
Registered Users
So, it is actually NOT OK to ride on the sidewalk as per City Ordincance 13-056. His the relevant portion of the document posted by jc_dweller:

E. It shall be unlawful for any person to operate or ride a bicycle in any of the following places:
(1) On any public property where signs are posted by the Traffic Engineer prohibiting such use;
(2) On private property where a sign prohibiting bicycle riding has been posted by the owner, lessee or person in charge of such property;
(3) On sidewalks in business districts;
(4) On sidewalks outside of business district areas, except for minors age nine and under.

The ordinance is rather interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
in JC, adult bikers are "technically" allowed to ride on a sidewalk, but at a speed no faster than a walker. This was adopted by City Council last year. The point is get off the sidewalk unless absolutely necessary, and then if you are on the sidewalk you might as well be walking your bike or peddling so slow that the bike hardly stays up. This is to protect walkers.

I was wrong, the version I am familiar with was not adopted. You can find the version that was adopted on this website http://jerseycitynj.gov/uploadedFiles ... /OR2%202013%2005%2008.pdf

Posted on: 2014/1/2 23:45

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/25 0:04
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jzara wrote:
i see a lot of ambling people on bikes just cruising on the sidewalk around here and it's obvious it's a symptom of having zero bike infrastructure.

I think it's more a question of bike culture than infrastructure. Sure, exclusive bike lanes are awesome and Hoboken's are even comfy (I do use them and have seen other use them too), but they are not viable in many of our narrow streets. Still, that doesn't mean you get to ride on the sidewalk, or that you should squeeze against parked cars so that angry driver behind you can pass you and clip you on the way -- you take the lane. Most of those narrow streets have very low speed limits (25 mph) and dealing with a cyclist who forces you to slow down is one of the perks of living in a city like this. The suburbs have wider streets, higher speed limits, and less cyclists, so that's an option for those who want speed around town.

With the exception of young kids, nobody has any business riding on the sidewalk. Those who do so are afraid, don't know how to ride safely on the street, and not equipped to deal with the harassment from a--hole drivers. Even if the city made it "OK" to cruise at walking speeds on the sidewalk (what were they thinking????), as our population grows following the city's current high-density model, the only place for bikes is on the streets.

Tucson, AZ has a series of programs aimed at promoting "share the road" and street savviness for cyclist that would be worth adapting/replicating: http://bikeped.pima.gov/allsafetyclasses.html
(No corporate sponsors required).

Posted on: 2014/1/2 23:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/1/2 2:11
Group:
Registered Users
I usually feel comfortable with the bike lanes in Hoboken and even more so with those in NYC. As mentioned in numerous other posts, bike lanes or clearly marked "shared lanes" are needed in Jersey City. Many drivers in Jersey City do not have any regard for other drivers, pedestrians, or biker riders. They also are not used to bikers and there is insufficient signage reminding drivers to "share the road". There have been many incidents of hits and runs, drag racing, and more than a couple of times when cars have just driven into storefronts. At certain hours and on certain streets, riding a bike in Jersey City streets is very dangerous. Solve the problem by making the city more bike-friendly and bike-safe.

Posted on: 2014/1/2 22:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
in JC, adult bikers are "technically" allowed to ride on a sidewalk, but at a speed no faster than a walker. This was adopted by City Council last year. The point is get off the sidewalk unless absolutely necessary, and then if you are on the sidewalk you might as well be walking your bike or peddling so slow that the bike hardly stays up. This is to protect walkers.

I was wrong, the version I am familiar with was not adopted. You can find the version that was adopted on this website http://jerseycitynj.gov/uploadedFiles ... /OR2%202013%2005%2008.pdf

Posted on: 2014/1/2 20:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 3:20
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Re: the bike lanes in Hoboken that someone referenced. They are a joke. Sure they got Zimmer a plaque for being a bike friendly city, but I have never, ever, seen a bicyclist riding in the bike lanes themselves. On the side streets, the roads are too narrow to ride safely, in some intersections, the arrows have you crossing diagonally thru the intersection, and finally, 99% of them are unusable because there is no double parking enforcement in Hoboken... until that is addressed, those bike lanes are useless.

Posted on: 2014/1/2 20:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
I prefer bike lanes to be on the right. One day riding down 7th St. between Monmouth St. there was a line of cars to drop off children at McNair Academic H.S. kids were flinging doors open so they could jump out and not wait for their parents to pull up to the corner. I almost got doored. This was the same as riding in the left lane.

Posted on: 2014/1/2 18:08

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017