Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
113 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 113

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: NJ Residents will have to pay sales tax on Amazon.com purchases
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/6 19:03
Group:
Registered Users
Why I don't like paying taxes period, and I do order quite a bit from Amazon, I really don't mind. It's going to create jobs and stimulate our economy in NJ so I can deal with it.

Posted on: 2012/6/8 13:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/4 8:59
Group:
Registered Users
If anyone has signed up for Amazon Prime (another rip-off in itself), be sure you cancel the automatic renewal. Once they start collecting tax I won't buy from Amazon anymore. What's the point?

Posted on: 2012/6/8 7:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 13:40
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Quote:

stillinjc wrote:
Taxing will only get you so far, friend.

You are going to run out of other people's money.
we got a free ride on the internet this long. maybe now actual stores will stop suffering at the hands of the mighty scourge of Amazon.com and its allies China and WickedHotDealsYouCantBelieveNoTaxesSonI'mUndercuttingLikeCrazyDotCom

Actually it kinda kills amazon's sales in NJ. Most of amazon's supply chain depends on 3rd parties, that can deliver through channels outside of amazon for the same price.

Posted on: 2012/6/8 5:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stillinjc wrote:

we got a free ride on the internet this long. maybe now actual stores will stop suffering at the hands of the mighty scourge of Amazon.com and its allies China and WickedHotDealsYouCantBelieveNoTaxesSonI'mUndercuttingLikeCrazyDotCom

Posted on: 2012/6/8 3:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mscottc wrote:
Quote:

stillinjc wrote:
Quote:

mscottc wrote:
Quote:

stillinjc wrote:
Quote:

mscottc wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Crazy_Chester wrote:
These aren't "more" or "new" taxes. These are sales taxes that were owed to the state all along. I know no one pays them, but that is tax evasion.

It's still more taxes, though. How is that a good thing?

Simple... you want things from government, taxes are needed to pay for those things... I want police, fire protection, schools with good teachers, properly paved roads, and all the other things that we expect from government, and I'm willing to pay my fair share.

Problem is, you're not getting any of those things from the government. Are you blind?

We were, I'll grant you it wasn't perfect. But the moment a certain Grover Norquist, and a whole party decided to make cutting taxes their only mantra, things really started going downhill.

As Mr. Chester says, these aren't new taxes, they're just stronger way of collecting those that were already in place. But even more important, my recollection of the national economy is that the country was doing a whole lot better 14 years ago prior to the Bush era tax cuts'; that the nation's strongest economic growth occurred under even higher tax rates. And that even the republican god, Ronald Reagan raised taxes when they were needed. So yea... I do believe that having the wealthy pay their fair share will get us a whole lot further.

Correlation does not equal causation. If it rained a lot during an economic boom, it doesn't mean that rain is necessarily good for the economy.

How could more money in people's pockets be a bad thing? Especially during poor economic times?

How is a sales tax helping the wealthy pay their fair share? (Ignoring that fact that fair is a subjective term).

Posted on: 2012/6/8 1:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Crazy_Chester wrote:
It's not more taxes.

A positive number > 0, so yes, it is more taxes.

Posted on: 2012/6/8 1:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/16 16:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stillinjc wrote:
Quote:

mscottc wrote:
Quote:

stillinjc wrote:
Quote:

mscottc wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Crazy_Chester wrote:
These aren't "more" or "new" taxes. These are sales taxes that were owed to the state all along. I know no one pays them, but that is tax evasion.

Simple... you want things from government, taxes are needed to pay for those things... I want police, fire protection, schools with good teachers, properly paved roads, and all the other things that we expect from government, and I'm willing to pay my fair share.

Problem is, you're not getting any of those things from the government. Are you blind?

We were, I'll grant you it wasn't perfect. But the moment a certain Grover Norquist, and a whole party decided to make cutting taxes their only mantra, things really started going downhill.

As Mr. Chester says, these aren't new taxes, they're just stronger way of collecting those that were already in place. But even more important, my recollection of the national economy is that the country was doing a whole lot better 14 years ago prior to the Bush era tax cuts'; that the nation's strongest economic growth occurred under even higher tax rates. And that even the republican god, Ronald Reagan raised taxes when they were needed. So yea... I do believe that having the wealthy pay their fair share will get us a whole lot further.

Posted on: 2012/6/7 23:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
It's not more taxes.

Posted on: 2012/6/7 19:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/27 23:03
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mscottc wrote:
Quote:

stillinjc wrote:
Quote:

mscottc wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Crazy_Chester wrote:

Posted on: 2012/6/7 11:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stillinjc wrote:
Quote:

mscottc wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Crazy_Chester wrote:

Posted on: 2012/6/7 11:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/27 23:03
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mscottc wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Crazy_Chester wrote:

Posted on: 2012/6/7 2:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mscottc wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Crazy_Chester wrote:

How's that been working so far?

Posted on: 2012/6/7 2:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Crazy_Chester wrote:

Posted on: 2012/6/7 2:12

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Crazy_Chester wrote:

Posted on: 2012/6/7 2:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/6/6 14:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Sounds good to me. I guess Christie can do something right although it would have been better to make them start paying Jan 1st.

How are more taxes a good thing?

Posted on: 2012/6/6 0:00

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/17 18:13
Group:
Registered Users
i'll still continue to make a majority of my purchases from Amazon despite this.

Posted on: 2012/6/5 13:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
Life is not fair but people should strive for fairness. That is why we have a legal system here that presupposes innocence until proven guilty right?

And actually, the only thing stopping me from moving is myself and a few thousand dollars of moving money....

And Adonis - yes, f the 99%....Can you put that on a tshirt and tell me how many you can sell? So it's the addicted druggies fault because drugs are so prevalent? It's the illegals fault for wanting to come to a free country and work for 2 dollars an hour to feed a family? Don't blame the drug dealers or the employers at all....the same way we don't blame the govt for not setting a standard so every single state either pays no tax or pays tax on online purchases. That makes sense...

How about spending on anti-drug education, I mean real spending on anti-drug education? And penalizing employers who employ illegal immigrant labor, absolutely should be done.

But to ask each state to abide by a common tax rate is totally against The Constitution. So the only real enforcement a state has regarding taxing online purchases (and mail order prior to that) is if you have "presence" in our state, you need to apply sales tax to any purchases made by customers in our state. This has been around for decades, perhaps more than a century. States with sales taxes, for years, have tried to enforce "use taxes," the equivalent of sales taxes for mail order and online order, to very poor avail. People just don't seem to volunteer up that information that is not otherwise reported to the their states by companies from out of state. It is indeed a game, I bet, everyone has played over the years. So at this point Christie has found a way to lure in both jobs and one of the biggest potential sales tax revenue providers in one fell swoop. Bad for us big time Amazon buyers, good for him, the State of New Jersey, and its citizens.

I personally may find myself buying some items from other online retailers, assuming the total purchase price and satisfaction index make it seem like a better value. Or I may not.

Posted on: 2012/6/3 11:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
Life is not fair but people should strive for fairness. That is why we have a legal system here that presupposes innocence until proven guilty right?

And actually, the only thing stopping me from moving is myself and a few thousand dollars of moving money....

And Adonis - yes, f the 99%....Can you put that on a tshirt and tell me how many you can sell? So it's the addicted druggies fault because drugs are so prevalent? It's the illegals fault for wanting to come to a free country and work for 2 dollars an hour to feed a family? Don't blame the drug dealers or the employers at all....the same way we don't blame the govt for not setting a standard so every single state either pays no tax or pays tax on online purchases. That makes sense...

Posted on: 2012/6/3 4:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
It's unfair that some residents in some states pay sales tax on online transactions and others don't. Either we all pay or we all don't...

Nobody ever said "life was fair." Every state has its pros and every state has its cons. Only you are stopping yourself from finding the state that suits you.

Posted on: 2012/6/3 3:24

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/6/2 20:35
Group:
Registered Users
No one could ever accuse Christie of not being energetic. As near as I can tell, the tax issue has about a 50-50 public approval. Such is not the case for Prudential which is attempting to rip-off NJ for a quarter of a billion dollars in
tax relief to build a new corporate mansion that by most accounts will leave Newark and then NJ in economic uncertainty. Here, it would seem that there is a majority of dissatisfaction over this dirty deal Prudential isn't even qualified to receive. Christie has only scant days to veto the dreaded thing but will he? I will take someone strong to stand up to Prudential. If it were put to a vote, I'm sure the people would reject it but it remains to be seen if the will of Christie
will be the same as the will of the people or whether it will be big business/government corruption as usual in NJ.

Posted on: 2012/6/2 20:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/6 23:12
Group:
Registered Users
No, F amazon. There's always overstock.com

Posted on: 2012/6/2 19:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/8/26 11:59
Group:
Registered Users
So........New Jersey residents are supposed to obey NJ state tax law and pay NJ sales taxes on their on-line purchases. Instead the NJ residents choose to engage in tax evasion and not pay this tax. At the same time they rail against the "rich" who do not pay their fair share of taxes even though the "rich" are already paying most of the taxes.

F the 99%.

Posted on: 2012/6/2 5:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
It's unfair that some residents in some states pay sales tax on online transactions and others don't. Either we all pay or we all don't...

Posted on: 2012/6/2 5:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Sounds good to me. I guess Christie can do something right although it would have been better to make them start paying Jan 1st.

Posted on: 2012/5/31 19:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/14 20:15
From Crystal Point
Group:
Registered Users
No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on: 2012/5/31 19:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/9/29 17:41
Group:
Registered Users
So Amazon gets tax breaks, NJ generates more tax revenue and consumers pay more? Well I guess the little guy has been funding sports stadiums and lining the pockets of the rich for years.

Posted on: 2012/5/31 19:02

NJ Residents will have to pay sales tax on Amazon.com purchases
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks Gov. Christie.

Amazon to Build Distribution Warehouses in New Jersey
By N. R. KLEINFIELD
Amazon plans to build two large distribution centers in New Jersey that would provide an estimated 1,500 full-time jobs and would also enable New Jersey to collect state sales tax from the online retailer, Gov. Chris Christie announced on Wednesday.

The building of the warehouses, each about a million square feet, is scheduled to begin next year and would also result in thousands of part-time and seasonal jobs.

Under the arrangement between Amazon and New Jersey, the state will start collecting state sales tax of 7 percent by July 1 of next year. In discussions with state officials, Amazon had been seeking a two-year reprieve before it would need to begin to collect tax.

Out-of-state retailers like Amazon do not currently collect any sales tax from New Jersey customers. Customers are supposed to keep track of what they owe and then pay the appropriate amount when they file their state income taxes ? something that rarely happens.

Mr. Christie estimated that the new arrangement would result in $30 million to $40 million in tax revenue for the state.

In order to build the distribution centers, Amazon said it would seek tax incentives from the state, though it did not specify the amounts. The locations of the centers have not been determined.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/01/nyr ... ers-in-new-jersey.html?hp

Posted on: 2012/5/31 18:42
I live by the river.

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017