Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
124 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 124

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Jersey City to swear in former councilman Ray Velazquez as first openly gay deputy mayor
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Hudson County, where Democrats show they can be bigger douche-bags than Republicans.

Posted on: 2012/12/5 5:38

Re: Jersey City to swear in former councilman Ray Velazquez as first openly gay deputy mayor
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City deputy mayor resigns, saying it's time to 'move on'

By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal
on December 04, 2012 at 10:45 PM

After a nearly seven-month tenure as a Jersey City deputy mayor, Hudson County attorney Ray Velazquez has resigned, Velazquez told The Jersey Journal tonight.

Velazquez, who sat on the City Council for about a year until being unseated during a special election last November, said tonight he enjoyed his time as deputy mayor, but has decided it's time for him to "move on."

"I thank the people for the privilege to serve them," he said

Velazquez was sworn in on May 17 to become one of three city deputy mayors. He accepted a $1 annual salary for his role with the city, as does another deputy mayor, lobbyist Raj Mukherhi, who does accept health benefits.

Deputy Mayor Kabili Tayari's annual salary is $110,056.

The role is largely ceremonial with few duties specified by statute, though Mayor Jerramiah Healy has said that deputy mayors play a large role in real-estate development and state and federal issues.

Velazquez was appointed to the City Council in October 2010, filling an at-large vacancy left when former councilman Mariano Vega stepped down after pleading guilty to corruption charges. Velazquez ran in November 2011 to remain in the seat until next May's city election, but was defeated.

Velqzquez is assistant county counsel for Hudson County, earning roughly $77,000 for that role.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... r_resig.html#incart_river

Posted on: 2012/12/5 5:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
What a phoney Velasquez is. Since voted out he has not been to one single council meeting, block association etc. Being in service to public doesn't mean you have to work for the government. You do for your community from your heart not your pocketbook.

Barkeep! Another round!

Posted on: 2012/5/23 2:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/15 3:35
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Hey Beach Guy. Gay folks don't vote for folks just because they are gay.

The only reason Obama did that gay marriage thing is because he is pandering to the gays. But the thing is, I think there is a BS factor. Obama isn't really for the gays.

If Team Healy have put Velazquez as Deputy Mayor, to get the gay vote I think they are kidding themselves.

All I know is my property taxes have gone up 38% since 2007. If Healy wanted this gay vote, he would have had real strict spending enforcements and balanced on-time budgets and would have reformed government by now.

FG

Posted on: 2012/5/21 21:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/13 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Beachguy wrote:
Mr. Velazquez should be ashamed of himself for allowing Healy to use and tokenize him like this.

He has no shame. He's an HCDO hack waiting for the next handout. Gay or not.

Posted on: 2012/5/20 2:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 14:36
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Gee...do you THINK this could have anything to do with the fact that knucklehead is running against Steve Fulop? Let's squeeze in a token gay guy as "honorary" deputy mayor. This douchebag mayor's tactics know no bounds. Mr. Velazquez should be ashamed of himself for allowing Healy to use and tokenize him like this.

Posted on: 2012/5/18 23:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Despite a state statute that limits Jersey City to having two deputy mayors, former councilman at large Ray Velazquez today became the third deputy mayor at a swearing-in ceremony at City Hall.
Velazquez, who was appointed to the council in October 2010 and then lost his November 2011 bid to remain in the seat until the next citywide election, said at today's brief ceremony that he has spent enough time out of the limelight.
"When you take a break from public service, you start to miss it," he said to a crowd of about 30 assembled in the City Council chambers.
Velazquez, a Hudson County attorney who makes about $77,000 annually in that role, will act as deputy mayor for only $1 a year, and will not accept health benefits or compensation for not accepting health benefits, according to city officials.
Velazquez joins the city's two other deputy mayors, Kabili Tayari, who was appointed in 2007 and earns a $110,056 salary, and Raj Mukherji, who was sworn-in on March 2 and like Velazquez accepts a $1 salary.
State statute forbids a city of Jersey City's population from having more than two deputy mayors, but city spokeswoman Jennifer Morrill said Tuesday that Velazquez's title was "honorary," and that his official position would be "aide." Nonetheless, his oath of office, administered by Mayor Jerramiah Healy, specified that he is a "deputy mayor," and Healy himself used the title a number of times.
Healy said Velazquez would act as an "advocate" and "ambassador" for Jersey City by attending events in Healy's place, meeting with "potential investors" and "extolling our great assets."
"Everyone in this administration has one job: to make this city better every single day," the mayor said. "That's what our job is."
Velazquez, who officials say is the city's first openly gay deputy mayor, attended today's ceremony with his son, Justin, whom he adopted in 2000.

Posted on: 2012/5/18 12:05

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 19:33
Group:
Registered Users
Velazquez, a Hudson County attorney who makes about $77,000 annually in that role, will act as deputy mayor for only $1 a year, and will not accept health benefits or compensation for not accepting health benefits, according to city officials.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... y_swears_in_third_de.html

Posted on: 2012/5/18 4:26

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/1 19:33
Group:
Registered Users
This whole theory of serving for $1 is a hyposcrisy and SCAM!!! If they want to work for $1, why not for $0 and reject Health benefits and City Car etc. etc., Ray Velazquez should reject all and help the city during these stressed period!

Posted on: 2012/5/17 19:42

Former Jersey City Councilman Velazquez to be sworn in as deputy mayor
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/6/24 11:45
Group:
Registered Users
JERSEY CITY - Former Jersey City Councilman At-large Radames "Ray" Velazquez Jr. will be sworn in as a deputy mayor to Jerramiah T. Healy on May 17 at 4 p.m.

On May 15, Healy announced that Velazquez, an attorney, will be paid $1 for the position.

"Ray showed his commitment to our city during his time on the council," Healy said Tuesday. "He is a man of character, knowledge, and dedication to the people of this city. I am honored to appoint him to this position, where he will work hard to help our residents and continue to improve our city."

Healy first appointed Velazquez to the council in September 2010 after former At-large Councilman Mariano Vega resigned after pleading guilty to corruption charges stemming from the 2009 Operation Bid Rig bust. He confessed to taking money from a government informant who posed as crooked developer. Vega is currently serving a 30-month jail sentence.

Velazquez ran in the November 2011 special election to serve out the remainder of Vega's term on the council - which expires June 1, 2013 - but he finished the race in fifth place.

In addition to serving on the council, Velazquez previously served as a Jersey City Municipal Judge and as a Hudson County Freeholder representing the 4th District. A graduate of Rutgers College and the University of Notre Dame Law School, Velazquez has operated his own law practice and also served as a partner in a prominent New Jersey law firm.

"I am looking forward to this opportunity to return to service," said Velazquez. "Helping the people of Jersey City, my home, is something I care deeply about and I am honored that Mayor Healy has chosen me to serve in this capacity."

Two months ago Healy swore in lobbyist RajMukherji as deputy mayor.

Velazquez will serve alongside Mukherji and Healy's third deputy mayor, Kabili Tayari. Of the three, only Tayari receives a salary.

Read more: Hudson Reporter - Former Jersey City Councilman Velazquez to be sworn in as deputy mayor

http://www.hudsonreporter.com/view/fu ... te_lead_story_left_column

Posted on: 2012/5/16 15:26

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I hope Velazquez doesn't leave the keys to his new City vehicle in the glove compartment again.

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... y_councilman_ray_vel.html

As if we believe his last cock-and-bull story.

Posted on: 2012/5/15 22:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
What that $110K buys us.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2012/5/15 22:35

Jersey City to swear in former councilman Ray Velazquez as first openly gay deputy mayor
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Radames ?Ray? Velazquez Jr., a former appointed Jersey City councilman at large who last November lost his bid to remain in the seat until the 2013 city election, will be sworn-in as the city?s first openly gay deputy mayor this week.
Velazquez, 47, said he looks forward to continuing the service he provided when he was a councilman.
?I?ve always been someone involved with public service, particularly here in Jersey City,? he said by phone. ?I?ll make myself available for whatever?s necessary.?
Velazquez was appointed by Healy in October 2010 to fill the vacancy left on the City Council when former councilman Mariano Vega stepped down after pleading guilty to corruption charges.
Velazquez, a former Hudson County freeholder, ran in a special election last November to remain in the seat until the 2013 city election, but finished fourth out of 17 candidates.
An assistant counsel for Hudson County, Velazquez will accept $1 annually for his new role as deputy mayor. Deputy Mayor Raj Mukherji, who was appointed in March, also accepts a $1 annual salary, while Deputy Mayor Kabili Tayari, tapped in 2007, earns $110,056.
In a statement, Healy said he is appointing Velazquez because of the ?commitment? he showed to the city during his brief council tenure.
?He is a man of character, knowledge, and dedication to the people of this City. I am honored to appoint him to this position, where he will work hard to help our residents and continue to improve our city,? Healy said.Resized ImageMORE

Posted on: 2012/5/15 20:45

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017