Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
104 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 104

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Commercial Signage Standards, Downtown

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/1 17:04
From Village
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Mr_Johnson wrote:
[quote]
Don't tell me what to do ever

Man baby doesn't like cute signs.

Posted on: 2018/5/20 23:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Quote:

JaniceAnderson16 wrote:
Your signage keeps up great illustrations averages. and also, exceptionally nonspecific signage.

You guys realize this is either a bot or a really bad google translate?

Posted on: 2018/5/18 14:58

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/18 18:53
From Near the water, but on the land
Group:
Registered Users
Well I like the sign at Fussy Friends. It's a small neighborhood store and that is reflected in the signage.

Posted on: 2018/5/18 14:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/29 17:59
Group:
Registered Users
I like the Two Boots Sign and their pizza. (Cleopatra Jones) I happen to think it creates a festive mood during the night on a nondescript Newark Ave. As for Portland Maine... that is a historic district area and the signs create a historical Mariner City image along with the cobblestone streets.

What I would like to see is a mandate that everyone who celebrates Christmas be required to use only white lights on the interior and exterior of their homes or businesses. Uniformity is important.

Posted on: 2018/5/18 10:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/11 14:10
From JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JaniceAnderson16 wrote:
Your signage keeps up great illustrations averages. and also, exceptionally nonspecific signage.

Posted on: 2018/5/18 6:49

Anonymous

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/6/12 18:12
From Bergen-Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
This video has some profanity but it really illustrates what is happening all over this great land.

Posted on: 2012/5/25 16:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Mr_Johnson wrote:
Quote:

cousin wrote:
ONCE AGAIN, A CONFRONTATIONAL POST BY MR. JOHNSON. Anyone see a pattern developing here? Hey man, how many ex-wives do you have? Dude, what do you do, cruise jc list to see how many people you could disagree with and try to make look stupid? Here's a test for you. I want you to read 10 posts a day and think all the negative comments you want but keep them all to yourself and NOT POST A SINGLE ONE of them. Think you can do that? If you pass that test, the next day I want you to do the same thing, only this time, you're gonna actually post something NICE. Something positive. Something that can actually help someone. OK, "nice" may be asking way too much, if you succeed, we'll move to a higher level of civility from there. You can do it, I have faith! In other words: DON'T POST ANYTHING YOU WOULDN'T SAY TO A STRANGER. Good luck!

It sounds like you my friend need a hobby. Don't tell me what to do ever, and take your own advice as to what to do. Maybe if you actually thought things out instead of constantly starting ridiculous topics, you wouldn't get the responses you do. Ever heard the saying, "ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer"?

Exactly what Mr. Johnson said.

Posted on: 2012/5/25 14:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/8 15:08
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

cousin wrote:
ONCE AGAIN, A CONFRONTATIONAL POST BY MR. JOHNSON. Anyone see a pattern developing here? Hey man, how many ex-wives do you have? Dude, what do you do, cruise jc list to see how many people you could disagree with and try to make look stupid? Here's a test for you. I want you to read 10 posts a day and think all the negative comments you want but keep them all to yourself and NOT POST A SINGLE ONE of them. Think you can do that? If you pass that test, the next day I want you to do the same thing, only this time, you're gonna actually post something NICE. Something positive. Something that can actually help someone. OK, "nice" may be asking way too much, if you succeed, we'll move to a higher level of civility from there. You can do it, I have faith! In other words: DON'T POST ANYTHING YOU WOULDN'T SAY TO A STRANGER. Good luck!

It sounds like you my friend need a hobby. Don't tell me what to do ever, and take your own advice as to what to do. Maybe if you actually thought things out instead of constantly starting ridiculous topics, you wouldn't get the responses you do. Ever heard the saying, "ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer"?

Posted on: 2012/5/25 14:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/20 2:33
Group:
Registered Users
It is totally subjective.
I think Skinner's signage looks sort of ridiculous. Faux-something or other. Looks like someones idea of what might belong in an English Village.
It's all in context. If you put a hip Craft Beer place in the National Discount Store and kept the sign as is, a lot of people would think it was cool. A la Live Bait.
I think those things should be allowed to develop naturally.

Posted on: 2012/5/25 13:16

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Where I used to live in Greenpoint, Brooklyn, which is a very desirable, safe, and getting-expensive neighborhood, the main drag is Manhattan Avenue and all the Polish places have very generic signage, like plastic, bad typefaces, 99 cent store looking stuff. Still people flock to Greenpoint in droves now. One block over from Manhattan Ave there is Franklin St, which is filled with "hipster-signage," very nice, well-thought out, quaint signs. I like both, but I must say I find the crappiness of Manhattan Ave signs kind of endearing.

Posted on: 2012/5/25 12:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/7 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
I'm in complete agreement regarding subjectiveness ~ but Portland, Maine and other historic downtowns look the way that they do because the town mandates that all storefronts have wood signs, i.e., wood carved, gold leaf, etc. You're not open for business unless the locals give the thumbs up to your shop's sign.

I now understand, thanks to other posts here, that Newark Ave. is not part of the historic district ~ was surprised by this ~ and thank you to whoever called this out.

Skinner's Loft might be a better example of a business that most seem to like the look of and McGinley Square also looks so good ~ I'm wondering why it's ok for the Downtown to develop as haphazardly as it does?

Posted on: 2012/5/25 2:01

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
I don't know if there could ever be a law mandating that signage maintain good graphic standards. how would you even implement that..

also it's totally subjective

Posted on: 2012/5/24 23:18

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/15 4:14
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/5/24 21:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/2/8 3:24
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Mr_Johnson wrote:
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
Quote:

Mr_Johnson wrote:
Quote:

HamiltonParker wrote:

K9 Kindergarden looks professional, Two Boots is trying, what about the rest of them?

Two Boots. Really??? It's an eyesore at best. Maybe on Bourbon St. in New Orleans it would fit right in. But if you all want "upscale" stuff downtown, Two Boots makes Fussy Friends look like a yacht club in Malibu.

Personal taste aside, your comment proves their sign a success. Do you not realize they serve Louisiana flavor inspired pizza?

Yes I do realize that. However "louisiana inspired pizza" sounds about as as good "Jamaican whitefish salad"

Again, that, like your preference in the facade, is all a matter of personal taste. The franchise is all over NYC and is a hit. Personally I like it but to each his own.

Posted on: 2012/5/17 13:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jc_dweller wrote:
Quote:

Mr_Johnson wrote:
Quote:

HamiltonParker wrote:

K9 Kindergarden looks professional, Two Boots is trying, what about the rest of them?

Two Boots. Really??? It's an eyesore at best. Maybe on Bourbon St. in New Orleans it would fit right in. But if you all want "upscale" stuff downtown, Two Boots makes Fussy Friends look like a yacht club in Malibu.

Personal taste aside, your comment proves their sign a success. Do you not realize they serve Louisiana flavor inspired pizza?

Yes I do realize that. However "louisiana inspired pizza" sounds about as as good "Jamaican whitefish salad"

Posted on: 2012/5/16 19:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/10 19:14
Group:
Registered Users
My co-worker has tried them in NY and says they have some real interesting toppings. Looking forward to it.

Posted on: 2012/5/16 18:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Mr_Johnson wrote:
Quote:

HamiltonParker wrote:

Posted on: 2012/5/16 18:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/10 19:14
Group:
Registered Users
You may not like the colors or style of the Two Boots store front but it's clearly professionally executed. Fussy Friends...not so much.

Mr_Johnson wrote:

Two Boots. Really??? It's an eyesore at best. Maybe on Bourbon St. in New Orleans it would fit right in. But if you all want "upscale" stuff downtown, Two Boots makes Fussy Friends look like a yacht club in Malibu.[/quote]

Posted on: 2012/5/16 18:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
A sign ordinance will not accomplish anything. One, the existing signs will be grandfathered in. Two, this simply becomes yet another obstacle to new businesses, another way for the city to collect envelops of cash.

Posted on: 2012/5/16 15:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/4/29 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
Fully support a Grove St area sign ordinance! Please stop the bleedings from my eyes!!

Posted on: 2012/5/16 3:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HamiltonParker wrote:

Posted on: 2012/5/15 23:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Downtown Newark Ave. isn't in a historic district.

Posted on: 2012/5/15 17:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
http://www.craftsigns.com/
136 Franklin Street,
Jersey City, NJ 07307
(201) 656-1991
TOLL FREE: 800.257.8301
Fax: 201.656.4764
Heights section

Posted on: 2012/5/15 13:44
Get on your bikes and ride !

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/5/1 13:27
Group:
Registered Users
If anyone actually wants a new sign, my parents own their own side business making them - mostly vinal letterings. If you want to support their mom and pop opperation, PM me for their contact info.

Posted on: 2012/5/15 12:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Local Man Solves Business District Redevelopment Crisis: Ugly Signs Threaten to Drive Customers Away. More at 11.

Posted on: 2012/5/15 1:06

Commercial Signage Standards, Downtown
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/7/7 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
Was up in McGinley Square a few weeks ago and noticed how nice all of the businesses looked. Returned here to home in the downtown and was struck by the crap, handmade, business signage along Newark Avenue ~ "Fussy Friends" leaps to mind.

I'm surprised that our Historic Distric allows new businesses to open with such haphazard junk as a shingle. I mean, c'mon already.

Posted on: 2012/5/15 0:51

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017