Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
159 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 159

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Longtime head of Jersey City teachers union stepping down after 57 years with district
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

owlie wrote:
I'd say it's about f*%king time! 57 years! What's his salary and how much is he going to get for retiring? Has he done a decent job? Doubt it.

Aren't you ever going to be happy with anyone in a public service position ? Obviously you admitted that you don't know if he even done a decent job or not. On the bright side being with them for that many years he will have less time during retirement to collect.

Posted on: 2012/5/14 12:11
Get on your bikes and ride !

Re: Longtime head of Jersey City teachers union stepping down after 57 years with district
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/1/4 8:59
Group:
Registered Users
I'd say it's about f*%king time! 57 years! What's his salary and how much is he going to get for retiring? Has he done a decent job? Doubt it.

Posted on: 2012/5/12 1:17

Longtime head of Jersey City teachers union stepping down after 57 years with district
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/6/24 11:45
Group:
Registered Users
Tom Favia, president of the 4,000-strong Jersey City Education Association and famed boys basketball coach, is retiring at the end of the summer, after nearly 60 years with the school district and more than 20 years as head of the powerful union.

Favia, 81, said he has "home problems," including an ill wife, that are demanding more of his time than he can provide while still working. He earns $110,375 as head of the union, state records show.

"And I guess after 57 years they're about ready to get rid of me anyway," he said in a phone interview this afternoon.

The gruff Favia started with the district in 1957, teaching history at School 39 for 10 years and then at Ferris High School, where he was the boys varsity basketball coach. He liked to say he was the only coach with a winning record against St. Anthony head coach Bob Hurley.

For 22 years, he's been the chief of the JCEA, the powerful teachers union, where he's been tapped as president in 11 consecutive elections. He's beloved by teachers districtwide, evident by the thunderous ovations he receives from teachers when he speaks on their behalf to the Jersey City Board of Education.

Favia is "a legend," said Bill DeRosa, retired teacher and former BOE president.

"He's been there forever," DeRosa said. "Over the years, he did a lot for teachers, believe me."

Favia landed in hot water in 2007 when The Jersey Journal reported that he ran a private travel agency out of the JCEA's Kennedy Boulevard offices, and used union secretaries to field calls for the agency.

Gerry McCann, at that time a BOE member, called Favia's actions "criminal," but Favia insisted he reimbursed the JCEA for any union resources used by his side business.

Favia today said he hopes for a union election on June 13, where he said Ronald Greco, his second-in-command, will vie for president with city teacher Hector Gonzalez.

He said he regrets not being able to stay for the upcoming round of contract negotiations.

"I think they're going to be very difficult," he said.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... ead_of_jersey_city_t.html

Posted on: 2012/5/12 1:10

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017