Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
126 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 126

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: NYTimes: Rents at all time high -"I did not move to New York City to live in Hoboken or Jersey City"
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Sutherland wrote:
+1,

When you're young(ish) and single, whether you're gay or straight NYC is the place to be. There is much more potential dating and or hook up opportunity in NYC than in JC. Also many young professionals work late into the night and often on weekends. It's important to them at least to be able to quickly get home to sleep or to their favorite bar or nightclub. The time to commute home on the PATH for new associates in large law firms and banks takes up a big chunk of their free time. NYC is a total destination city. People grow up aspiring to one day live in the big bad apple. You can't take his comment too personally.

Quote:

stillinjc wrote:
I would cut Mr Rosati a break for the following reasons:

1. He has a decent artwork on his walls
2. NYC is incomparably better than JC or Hoboken when it comes to restaurants and nightlife. I mean, come on. When you are 25, and you can afford the rent, NYC (Manhattan) is a no-brainer choice when it comes restaurants and nightlife.
3. I would not dis the guy just because he came to NYC from Iowa or upstate, or whatever. The bright lights of the city attract the ambitious, and that is good.

I agree to a large extent. To many people Jersey City, as close as we are, equals "almost". And yes, the stigma keeps some folks out and keeps prices low.

Posted on: 2012/4/25 20:50

Re: NYTimes: Rents at all time high -"I did not move to New York City to live in Hoboken or Jersey City"
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/18 14:36
Group:
Registered Users
+1,

When you're young(ish) and single, whether you're gay or straight NYC is the place to be. There is much more potential dating and or hook up opportunity in NYC than in JC. Also many young professionals work late into the night and often on weekends. It's important to them at least to be able to quickly get home to sleep or to their favorite bar or nightclub. The time to commute home on the PATH for new associates in large law firms and banks takes up a big chunk of their free time. NYC is a total destination city. People grow up aspiring to one day live in the big bad apple. You can't take his comment too personally.

Quote:

stillinjc wrote:

2. NYC is incomparably better than JC or Hoboken when it comes to restaurants and nightlife. I mean, come on. When you are 25, and you can afford the rent, NYC (Manhattan) is a no-brainer choice when it comes restaurants and nightlife.
3. I would not dis the guy just because he came to NYC from Iowa or upstate, or whatever. The bright lights of the city attract the ambitious, and that is good.

Posted on: 2012/4/25 20:44

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

stillinjc wrote:
^^

That (kind of) sums it up. Kind of, because one may have the money to blow on that kind of rent, yet choose to save it for the rainy day (or investment), and put up with PATH in the meantime. But if you are 25, like Mr Rosati, it is not necessarily obvious to you...

:)

PS - ianmac - I am not suggesting that you are 25, just a manner of speaking...

I don't think is necessarily a product of age as much as philosophy and attitude.

Some people have a lot of money and might, despite everything, end up driving a Honda Civic and others might end up buying a Bugatti Veyron. Its probably not because some is 25 or 55, its probably just what someone values. But if someone wants a Bugatti and can afford to buy the Bugatti, even if the Honda Civic gets better gas mileage and has lower maintenance costs, why would someone who wants the Bugatti get the Civic?

Yes, in this analogy Jersey City is the lower cost car, but its sensible and well built, while Manhattan is the shiny luxury car, that is overpriced and impractical.

I agree with that...not necessarily age, but attitude. some people just get it into their heads that they "need" a certain thing no matter how impractical it seems and they can't think outside of that bubble. like when i was applying to colleges way back when and i just thought i needed to go to one certain school or my life would be over...and it totally wasn't and it didn't matter, lol. still though i have to laugh at this article..."we couldn't afford our rent so we bought a 1 million dollar apartment in dumbo"??!

Posted on: 2012/4/25 20:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

stillinjc wrote:
^^

That (kind of) sums it up. Kind of, because one may have the money to blow on that kind of rent, yet choose to save it for the rainy day (or investment), and put up with PATH in the meantime. But if you are 25, like Mr Rosati, it is not necessarily obvious to you...

I don't think is necessarily a product of age as much as philosophy and attitude.

Some people have a lot of money and might, despite everything, end up driving a Honda Civic and others might end up buying a Bugatti Veyron. Its probably not because some is 25 or 55, its probably just what someone values. But if someone wants a Bugatti and can afford to buy the Bugatti, even if the Honda Civic gets better gas mileage and has lower maintenance costs, why would someone who wants the Bugatti get the Civic?

Yes, in this analogy Jersey City is the lower cost car, but its sensible and well built, while Manhattan is the shiny luxury car, that is overpriced and impractical.

Posted on: 2012/4/25 19:03

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/25 17:45
Group:
Registered Users
My sentiments exactly, Bill.

We should be happy there is still a little Jersey stigma. It's keeping our cost-of-living down!

Quote:

Bill463 wrote:
C'mon guys, we were all young & immature at one point. He's 25, probably grew up in some mid-western boring hell hole where a night out on the town consisted of a stop at the Walmart and now he's in fabulous N.Y.C.! Does he sound very silly & pretentious? Of course he does! Does he ruffle this native NYC/NJ boy's feathers? Nah. If he and his buddies can pay $5400 per month good for them. He's living his 'dream' right now, working hard, out on Saturday nights wearing his tight designer jeans and his best Banana Republican untucked dress shirt picking up the ladies. Give the youngin' a break! He has arrived - he be livin' in da big city. Let him have his excitement and try not to be too harsh. He has no idea how good it is here in the JC.

Posted on: 2012/4/25 17:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/27 23:03
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
^^

Posted on: 2012/4/24 13:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Why would you want to deal with the PATH if you had enough month to blow on that kind of rent?

Posted on: 2012/4/24 13:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/27 23:03
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/4/24 12:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

whiteboy19 wrote:
I have a two bedroom and pay 12oo a month,I rent one bedroom for 500 a month ,I live with my wife in the other bedroom and living room.we pay 700 balance.I work sometimes and so does my wife,I have no kids no internet on my cellphone,no cable TV.I cook my own food,my hobbies are photography,and woodworking,I do not subscribe to empty materialism,I have little stress in my life.I feel good about my life

Where is this rooming house you speak of ?

Posted on: 2012/4/24 12:26
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
to whiteboy19: your stress free life will be over if/when u start having kids

Posted on: 2012/4/24 1:02

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/12 15:19
Group:
Banned
I have a two bedroom and pay 12oo a month,I rent one bedroom for 500 a month ,I live with my wife in the other bedroom and living room.we pay 700 balance.I work sometimes and so does my wife,I have no kids no internet on my cellphone,no cable TV.I cook my own food,my hobbies are photography,and woodworking,I do not subscribe to empty materialism,I have little stress in my life.I feel good about my life

Posted on: 2012/4/24 0:09

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
This article is hilarious.

Then again, if this mentality keeps the rents low outside of manhattan i'm fine with that.

Posted on: 2012/4/23 18:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/12 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bill463 wrote:
?I did not move to New York City to live in Hoboken or Jersey City,? Mr. Rosati declared."

C'mon guys, we were all young & immature at one point. He's 25, probably grew up in some mid-western boring hell hole where a night out on the town consisted of a stop at the Walmart and now he's in fabulous N.Y.C.! Does he sound very silly & pretentious? Of course he does! Does he ruffle this native NYC/NJ boy's feathers? Nah. If he and his buddies can pay $5400 per month good for them. He's living his 'dream' right now, working hard, out on Saturday nights wearing his tight designer jeans and his best Banana Republican untucked dress shirt picking up the ladies. Give the youngin' a break! He has arrived - he be livin' in da big city. Let him have his excitement and try not to be too harsh. He has no idea how good it is here in the JC.

Oh, no doubt. I can remember thinking like him, but mindsets change.

I liken it to the housing struggle in college--early on, the drive among freshman to have "on campus" housing is strong, and is fostered by universities; later on, upper-classmen realize they wouldn't be missing much, and in fact might have a better life in off campus apartments.

For years while talking to NYC residents I've often referred to JC as the "gateway to the rest of the country."

Posted on: 2012/4/23 15:35
"Someday a book will be written on how this city can be broke in the midst of all this development." ---Brewster

Oh, wait, there is one: The Jersey Sting.

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/15 4:14
Group:
Registered Users
Well put. You're right. Once his frontal lobe (the part of the brain concerned with behavior, logic and reasoning) has fully developed he'll living next door to you and be here on JC list bitchin' about something else; like all the dog-walking scumbags that don't pick up their animals' feces.

Posted on: 2012/4/22 22:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users
I have to say when it gets late at night and your in the city or trying to get back from it on the weekends....the Path wait is a lot longer than 35 mins.

I think cities and towns bordering nyc are perfect. I couldn't live with 24/7 hectic life of nyc but on the other hand I would go bonkers living in a place like Swarthmore.....very quiet and simple.

Posted on: 2012/4/22 22:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
In some sense, Rosati is right. People don't emigrate from the midwest intending to live in Jersey City, or really for that matter Brooklyn or Queens or the Bronx. The flyovers' idea of New York City though is informed by Friends and Sex and the City and maybe for the slightly younger set, Felicity. Not everyone though can show up here and spend $5,000 on rent.

Or as Gothamist pointed out, the NYTimes basically didn't bother finding any real New Yorker's for their article, proving once again the paper is out of touch with mainstream middle class. Its a rich man's paper written by other rich people.

For the more average middle class person, Jersey City is a far better alternative to a lot of places, especially once you start climbing above the 120s in Manhattan.

That said, however, while there have been many positive changes over the last several years, there have been an equally high number of negative changes. For one, the PATH eliminated Saturday and Sunday weekday service levels. For the newbies here, that was 7am to 7pm, 4 line service with JSQ access directly to 33rd, WTC access directly to Hoboken, ect. PATH also increased the intervals of late night service to the astoundingly stupid 35 minute schedule, weekend WTC service to 20 minutes. Furthermore, the new developments have not necessarily brought better people, just people with more money. And while some of the new services and shops and restaurants are a positive change, there have also been things like The Powerhouse Lounge. There has been an increase in pandering to first, the dog owning set, and now to the stroller set, which is fine for the people who belong in those categories, but not very interesting for everyone else.

"Pandering to the dog owning set"? Schwarzenegger Please!!

Posted on: 2012/4/22 19:19

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/11 1:27
Group:
Registered Users
Let NYC have the guy. He's a pathetic follower. I mean really, who would want to LIVE on Wall Street just so they could say they live in NYC? If you live in JC it says you are smart with money and secure in your self image. You don't derive your sense of self worth from your zip code as so many in NYC do.

Posted on: 2012/4/22 19:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
In some sense, Rosati is right. People don't emigrate from the midwest intending to live in Jersey City, or really for that matter Brooklyn or Queens or the Bronx. The flyovers' idea of New York City though is informed by Friends and Sex and the City and maybe for the slightly younger set, Felicity. Not everyone though can show up here and spend $5,000 on rent.

Or as Gothamist pointed out, the NYTimes basically didn't bother finding any real New Yorker's for their article, proving once again the paper is out of touch with mainstream middle class. Its a rich man's paper written by other rich people.

For the more average middle class person, Jersey City is a far better alternative to a lot of places, especially once you start climbing above the 120s in Manhattan.

That said, however, while there have been many positive changes over the last several years, there have been an equally high number of negative changes. For one, the PATH eliminated Saturday and Sunday weekday service levels. For the newbies here, that was 7am to 7pm, 4 line service with JSQ access directly to 33rd, WTC access directly to Hoboken, ect. PATH also increased the intervals of late night service to the astoundingly stupid 35 minute schedule, weekend WTC service to 20 minutes. Furthermore, the new developments have not necessarily brought better people, just people with more money. And while some of the new services and shops and restaurants are a positive change, there have also been things like The Powerhouse Lounge. There has been an increase in pandering to first, the dog owning set, and now to the stroller set, which is fine for the people who belong in those categories, but not very interesting for everyone else.

Posted on: 2012/4/22 17:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/14 0:40
Group:
Registered Users
I only set foot in the hell hole known as Manhattan for my job. Otherwise I prefer to spend my leisure time in NJ, where I don't have to push my way through mobs of tourists, have taxi cabs nearly running me over at every intersection, and people constantly jumping infront of me trying to sell me something.

Posted on: 2012/4/22 16:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/15 3:35
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
I agree with what Bill463 said.

I moved here in Jersey City in 1993. Lived here for 7 years. Moved to Manhattan to be in relationship. Didn't work out, had an apartment for about two years, then guess what...

Moved back to Jersey City. And after two years, finally bought a place here and have settled down calling JC my home.

NYC is right there if I want it... and if you walk down to exchange place, you just can't beat that view.

FG

Posted on: 2012/4/22 14:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bill463 wrote:
?I did not move to New York City to live in Hoboken or Jersey City,? Mr. Rosati declared."

well said

Posted on: 2012/4/21 22:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/10 23:17
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/4/21 21:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
I just picked up a former NYC tenant. He told me he was paying $3,500 per month. He now pays $1,325 and gets: More space, washer/dryer in the unit, a small deck and use of a small yard, modern bathroom (for some reason, Manhattan apartments never seem to update their bathrooms), central A/C.

In the past, I performed sound insulation work on some Manhattan apartments / condos. I swear this one I worked on (shared by a gay couple)... you could have put the entire apartment into my bedroom. It was that tiny.

Posted on: 2012/4/21 21:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
I've been saying for many years that this is the primary explanation for the price difference between Brooklyn & JC. So they bought a $1m 2 bedroom in dumbo, with a $4,250 monthly nut. You can live like freakin king in Downtown for that! Or live pretty well for half that in a rental. But it's not "in NYC".

I gotta raise my rents....

Posted on: 2012/4/21 21:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/12 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
Indeed. I was living on Washington Square Park in 1992, couldn't stand the street fairs, NYU crowds, traffic, and folks like Joseph Rosati.

Posted on: 2012/4/21 20:28
"Someday a book will be written on how this city can be broke in the midst of all this development." ---Brewster

Oh, wait, there is one: The Jersey Sting.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
I moved to Jersey City to get out of New York City and have zero regrets.

JC since 1996 and loving it.

Posted on: 2012/4/21 20:23

NYTimes: Rents at all time high -"I did not move to New York City to live in Hoboken or Jersey City"
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/22/rea ... ity-of-sky-high-rent.html

"Joseph Rosati, 25, and his roommates adopted a different strategy:
Pay more...

Last year, Mr. Rosati and two friends were living in Murray Hill,
paying $3,700 for a two-bedroom apartment that they had converted to three. When the landlord decided to raise the rent to $4,300 last July, Mr. Rosati decided to shop for a new place.

They found a two-bedroom apartment with an office at 37 Wall Street for $5,400...

Posted on: 2012/4/21 20:13

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017