Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
26 user(s) are online (22 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 1
Guests: 25

HippieShowgirl, more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Re: Modern American Eatery (MAE) - Lafayette
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks for the info! Are you on the Lafayette neighborhood Nextdoor forum by any chance? Was looking for someone to post a recap of the meeting last night. Here's the invite link if you're not already on here, thanks!

https://nextdoor.com/invite/dfsvrptuttjtfvumjafn

Quote:

stc4blues wrote:
They were at the Morris Canal CDC community meeting last night. There's a soft opening today.

Posted on: 2013/9/6 9:05
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
They were at the Morris Canal CDC community meeting last night. There's a soft opening today.

Posted on: 2013/9/6 8:27
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
New awning 'The Torch Room' went up late yesterday. It can't be long. I'll bike by and see if they do some sort of a 'soft' opening each day this weekend.

Posted on: 2013/9/6 8:00
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nemobeatz wrote:
Sweet! Just curious, where's you get this info?

Quote:

sweettooth wrote:
The new restauranteur's name is Lorenzo and the name of the place will be Torch House. They plan to open on Labor Day! Go BELA! :)

I, too, had heard the name of the chef/restauranteur but wanted confirmation before I posted it. I was told he's an experienced professional in the field, not a first timer. The name, though, had been kicking around going back post the Manteca announcement. I heard this information from another business owner on Communipaw. What matters is that it appears the M.A.E. site will re-open soon!

Posted on: 2013/8/8 8:57
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Sweet! Just curious, where's you get this info?

Quote:

sweettooth wrote:
The new restauranteur's name is Lorenzo and the name of the place will be Torch House. They plan to open on Labor Day! Go BELA! :)

Posted on: 2013/8/8 8:47
Print Top

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/8/8 6:51
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Today's update on the M.A.E. site-at 3pm today, the awnings/ window guards were up, inside lights on, and people milling about inside. (Just driving past, couldn't stop and ask).

Posted on: 2013/8/7 15:19
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Susan, you're so right about MAE being a place to meet our neighbors. I've been meaning to get to one of the Green Villain BBQs, I love what those guys are doing in our hood. Look forward to meeting you and other neighbors at the next one =)

Quote:

Susan_N wrote:
I'll be skeptical until it opens, but I'm so hopeful. I was at the (really fun!) Green Villain BBQ at the Lafayette Community Garden on Pacific last weekend (http://www.jerseycityindependent.com/ ... mer-bbq-series-continues/), and I so enjoyed running into neighbors, many of whom I had met for the first time at MAE. It reminded me of how important MAE was in bringing together our community. I hope the new place (if indeed there will be a new place) will do the same. I do know that they will have an outpouring of support from the Lafayette neighborhood if and when they do open. Fingers crossed!

Posted on: 2013/8/5 8:03
Print Top

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
I'll be skeptical until it opens, but I'm so hopeful. I was at the (really fun!) Green Villain BBQ at the Lafayette Community Garden on Pacific last weekend (http://www.jerseycityindependent.com/ ... mer-bbq-series-continues/), and I so enjoyed running into neighbors, many of whom I had met for the first time at MAE. It reminded me of how important MAE was in bringing together our community. I hope the new place (if indeed there will be a new place) will do the same. I do know that they will have an outpouring of support from the Lafayette neighborhood if and when they do open. Fingers crossed!

Posted on: 2013/8/4 3:11
Print Top

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
I too can't wait for something to open there again.There was so much support for MAE, I even had co-workers from Essex County suburbs at my NYC job talking to me about it! (Mind you, they are foodies) My fingers are crossed too, that something good opens up there soon.

Posted on: 2013/8/2 20:04
Print Top

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
From Bergen-Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users

I hope one of Ceasar's takeaways from the MAE implosion was to have a light touch regarding the restaurant's management and books. And while I'm going there, its aesthetic as well.[/quote]

Speaking of aesthetic, there were seriously pork-centric, which was really hard on the vegetarians (and this vegetarian Jew) in the neighborhood. Maybe food that the pork can be removed from . . . As far as decor, I'll take the orange and pink of Dunkin' Donuts at this point.

Posted on: 2013/8/2 15:01
Print Top

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
From Bergen-Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Unfair to dredge up the happy memories of MAE with a tantalizing tidbit and no substantial evidence. Those of you who live downtown (now, not maybe 20 years ago) have no idea of what having our own little bistro was like for our neighborhood.

Please give details.

Posted on: 2013/8/2 14:54
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Agree 100% Getz.
Quote:

getz011 wrote:
Quote:

nemobeatz wrote:
It's about time! I've been waiting for something good to open here since MAE closed down (miss that place!). Fingers crossed we get something soon.

Quote:

Monroe wrote:
I heard on the street (a few doors from M.A.E.) today that Cesar, the building and liquor license owner of the former M.A.E. bar/restaurant, has reached agreement with another chef/restaurateur to open a new spot. No more details at this time.

Fingers are seriously crossed. They'll receive a very warm and extended welcome from the neighborhood. It's been a long wait.

I hope one of Ceasar's takeaways from the MAE implosion was to have a light touch regarding the restaurant's management and books. And while I'm going there, its aesthetic as well.

Posted on: 2013/8/2 13:54
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

nemobeatz wrote:
It's about time! I've been waiting for something good to open here since MAE closed down (miss that place!). Fingers crossed we get something soon.

Quote:

Monroe wrote:
I heard on the street (a few doors from M.A.E.) today that Cesar, the building and liquor license owner of the former M.A.E. bar/restaurant, has reached agreement with another chef/restaurateur to open a new spot. No more details at this time.

Fingers are seriously crossed. They'll receive a very warm and extended welcome from the neighborhood. It's been a long wait.

I hope one of Ceasar's takeaways from the MAE implosion was to have a light touch regarding the restaurant's management and books. And while I'm going there, its aesthetic as well.

Posted on: 2013/8/1 22:53
Print Top

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
I saw the gate was up on the side door maybe two weeks ago, and I was hoping something else might be opening up in there! Still miss those brunches at MAE...

Posted on: 2013/8/1 20:02
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

Monroe wrote:

Posted on: 2013/8/1 18:37
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2013/8/1 17:02
Print Top

Torch Room to open in old MAE space?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Susan_N wrote:
It's back! Ok, it's not Joe and the previous staff, so it will never be quite the same, but it's evidently opening this week as Torch Room. They've added a tv which worries me a bit; please, we don't need a sports bar. Here's hoping they keep the same vibe with cool music, a laid back staff, interesting beers and cocktails, and good food. BeLa has shown that we can sustain a good restaurant! Fingers crossed!

Saw this in the MAE thread, was wondering if anyone else has heard anything about this place? Hoping it'll be good.

Posted on: 2012/12/19 10:29
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

roskoe99 wrote:
discussion should be moved to a new thread. Whatever might be opening in that space has absolutely nothing to do with MAE.

I'll start that now, thanks.

Posted on: 2012/12/18 12:49
Print Top

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
discussion should be moved to a new thread. Whatever might be opening in that space has absolutely nothing to do with MAE.

Posted on: 2012/12/18 12:08
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Anyone else hear anything about Torch Room?

Posted on: 2012/12/18 11:38
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
So excited to hear this! If it's half as good as MAE, I'll be happy.

Posted on: 2012/12/16 23:49
Print Top

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
It's back! Ok, it's not Joe and the previous staff, so it will never be quite the same, but it's evidently opening this week as Torch Room. They've added a tv which worries me a bit; please, we don't need a sports bar. Here's hoping they keep the same vibe with cool music, a laid back staff, interesting beers and cocktails, and good food. BeLa has shown that we can sustain a good restaurant! Fingers crossed!

Posted on: 2012/12/16 20:58
Print Top

Re: Manteca Restaurant formerly MAE has gone dark!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
As a lifelong Jersey City resident, I've got to say that MAE was one of my favorite JC restaurants ever. Really sad to see such a great place go, you all will definitely be missed.

Posted on: 2012/11/28 8:00
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Not sure naming a restaurant "lard" was such a great idea either.

Posted on: 2012/11/27 13:42
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
That sucks. back to being nothing here.

Posted on: 2012/11/26 17:30
Print Top

Manteca Restaurant formerly MAE has gone dark!

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Manteca formerly MAE has has gone dark! It was a fun restaurant with a great staff. Best wishes to Joe in his future endeavors!

Hey guys,

I’m sorry to report that Manteca hasn’t found a home at 339 Communipaw Avenue. This wasn’t due to lack of interest or community support in the slightest.

Dieandra, the staff and I would like to thank our neighbors for their humongous support and eagerness to make this place a reality. Ken, Kendall, Patrick, Betsy, Boz, Rosie, Angus, Pete, Wendy, Susan, Ivan, Jayne, Jamie, Raymond, Edoris, Hulbert, Uta, Stephanie, Josh, Adam, Amanda, Tony, Russ, Steve, Joe, Carlos, Yankee, Janelle, Giselle, Rebecca, Michelle and everyone else pushed and pushed to make a place Bergen Lafayette could be proud of. You guys are the backbone of the neighborhood and no place could be 1/10 as successful without supporters like you. THANK YOU!

While I really, really wish circumstances were different, there is no way to move forward in the space as planned. I continue to love BeLa/BerLa/Communipaw/Lafayette and will still be around to help in any way I can to make the neighborhood the destination it ought to be.

Every one of you has my sincerest gratitude and best wishes for 2013.

Sincerely,

Joe Dell’Armi
Manteca Restaurant

Posted on: 2012/11/26 14:21
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Lafayette
Group:
Registered Users
Some background on what's happened/happening with MAE.
http://www.jerseycityindependent.com/ ... t-after-partners-dispute/

Posted on: 2012/10/26 16:34
Print Top

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
From Bergen Hill / Astor
Group:
Registered Users
The event page for Saturday says, "Come in for drinks, free food and the full story of what's happened to MAE. Have a great time and find out how BeLa can get its neighborhood joint back for good."

So it is not back for good? This is still all very murky what is going on with this place.

I miss MAE and hope they or some version of them is back for good.

Posted on: 2012/10/25 13:01
Print Top

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Very happy that the restaurant survives and that Joe is the manager! They have always been courteous and willing to please. Mucha Suerte to Manteca!

Posted on: 2012/10/25 11:40
Print Top

(1) 2 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2014