Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
152 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 152

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Failure to stop at a stop sign! help!
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/11 21:52
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
btw, what is with all the holier than thou posters here? Like I said in my original post - I stopped and looked for both pedestrians and cars. rolling to me means an acceleration of up to 10 mph or less. Could a pedestrian run out of the streets and me not stop in time? Yes, it is possible. If I had the chance to do it again, I would totally stop.

So no one here has ever done something wrong driving wise or pedestrian wise and felt bad about it? Jaywalking is dangerous to cars and yourself. Jaywalking is a fine of 54 dollars so what if you were fined everytime you jaywalked? You might deserve it but it would be mean for someone to be glad you were fined. what the hell people...

And another posting telling me isn't it driving 101 to fully stop. Umm yes it is. It is also driving 101 to put your hands on the wheels at 10 and 2 and on the wheel at all times. Do you always do that? maybe YOU should go back to driving school too. Did you ever pick up a phone while driving? Maybe you need to be fined for that because that is also very dangerous - i would argue as dangerous as a rolling stop. You signal every single time you turn? Please. So maybe you need to pay 1000+ in fees and insurance increases. Develop some empathy for people for once..it's called karma people.

I don't always do full stop and have never been caught. However if I do get caught I wouldn't whine, even though every time I did rolling stop I was quite cautious.

It is driving 101 to put your hands on the wheels at all times, but it's NOT driving 101 to put your hands at 10 and 2.

I do pick up phone while driving, but I NEVER do that without a bluetooth headset and I almost always try NOT to pick it up even with a headset: the only time I do pick up is that I called somebody when NOT driving and expected that s/he would call me back and it's absolutely necessary for us to have a very short talk. Talking with or without headset is ALWAYS distracting and can be dangerous.

Empathy for you only if you fully realize what you did could be dangerous and you stop whining about being unlucky. Why not follow CapnJon? I saw nobody here being judgmental, rather they are trying to help.

Posted on: 2012/4/11 14:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Have you gotten the usual 20 letters in the mail from the million lawyers out there yet ? Don't be intimidated from that your ticket is public infomation and they want to make a buck off of you. Even if you loose you still have to pay your attorney his or her fair share. Just go to your court date, get on the list to speak to the prosecutor, make the no-points deal and after 3 hours you're home free. And yes stop means a full complete stop. I'd rather get into an accident with a stop sign regulating the flow of traffic than a traffic light. A stop sign never changes ! Plus why give them the satisfaction in giving you a traffic ticket.

Posted on: 2012/4/11 13:48
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:
btw, what is with all the holier than thou posters here? Like I said in my original post - I stopped and looked for both pedestrians and cars. rolling to me means an acceleration of up to 10 mph or less.

which is, technically, not a stop.

you're asking this forum for help getting out of a ticket that was not unjustly deserved, and the general response is "suck it up, sailor."

that doesn't mean we've never done anything wrong. it just means we're not likely to look for any sympathy here when we get busted.

Posted on: 2012/4/11 3:21

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/20 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
I want to make sure I understand -- have you convinced yourself that making a full stop at a stop sign is not something you have to do 100% of the time?
Because it is. Full stop. Every time. There is no excuse for putting other people's lives in danger.

Posted on: 2012/4/11 1:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
This the NJ DMV point system website (If you didn?t already know)

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Violations/penalties.htm

How do points affect you?

?If you get six or more points within three years on your current driving record, you will be assessed a surcharge

?If you get 12 or more points on your current driving record, your license will be suspended. You will receive a notice of scheduled suspension by mail

?Getting points on your license may also increase your insurance rates. Contact your insurance agent for details

Like I said before I have never gotten a ticket, so I will go along with what all of the criminals on this thread have said. Take the 0 points deal and pay the fine.

One way to look at it is you don?t want any points on your record. Not only from an insurance point of view. Say you took the 2 points and cop gets you for a 4 pointer in a month from now. (with your admitted history of ?rolling stops? it is possible) That?s 6 points and you start looking at surcharges. With 6 points maybe 12 will come next and you lose your license. Not good.

PS ? The reason I said the guy in my above post (#12) was happy spending the $1100 for the lawyer was because of the possibility of a lawsuit involving an accident. He needed to get that downgraded to something less severe. Not because he wanted to just get the points off his record.

Again good luck. I will not judge you but to the people who drive in DTJC? a two way stop means both cars STOP! Especially around Bright Side Tavern on Monmouth. Where did you people learn to drive? The burbs? .

Posted on: 2012/4/11 0:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned
I failed my driving test because of the same reason - I did not stop completely. And I was told by the examiner that it is a ticketable offense.

Posted on: 2012/4/11 0:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/11/5 23:00
Group:
Registered Users
Stop. Count to 3. Drive.

That is a stop.

Posted on: 2012/4/11 0:27

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
I don't own a car, but I used to and I don't know why people choose to put themselves through that stress of owning a car in the city. Getting tickets I learned was just part of the cost of driving. It happens. But I can't say I feel bad, I've been car-free for a while and it's great.

Posted on: 2012/4/10 23:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
btw, what is with all the holier than thou posters here? Like I said in my original post - I stopped and looked for both pedestrians and cars. rolling to me means an acceleration of up to 10 mph or less. Could a pedestrian run out of the streets and me not stop in time? Yes, it is possible. If I had the chance to do it again, I would totally stop.

So no one here has ever done something wrong driving wise or pedestrian wise and felt bad about it? Jaywalking is dangerous to cars and yourself. Jaywalking is a fine of 54 dollars so what if you were fined everytime you jaywalked? You might deserve it but it would be mean for someone to be glad you were fined. what the hell people...

And another posting telling me isn't it driving 101 to fully stop. Umm yes it is. It is also driving 101 to put your hands on the wheels at 10 and 2 and on the wheel at all times. Do you always do that? maybe YOU should go back to driving school too. Did you ever pick up a phone while driving? Maybe you need to be fined for that because that is also very dangerous - i would argue as dangerous as a rolling stop. You signal every single time you turn? Please. So maybe you need to pay 1000+ in fees and insurance increases. Develop some empathy for people for once..it's called karma people.

Posted on: 2012/4/10 23:49

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/27 0:25
Group:
Registered Users
I can't even remember the last time I saw a driver actually stop at a stop sign. I hate playing that game of 'dodge' with a car doing a rolling stop or a rolling turn while I am trying to walk across an intersection.

Posted on: 2012/4/10 23:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned
I am glad you got a ticket. Just a few days back this town got into the top 10 walking towns list...

Posted on: 2012/4/10 23:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/16 19:07
Group:
Registered Users
I'm with slim26 and stillinjc, take the deal. It'll cost $400 or $500, but no points on your license.

Posted on: 2012/4/10 23:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
This is what a progressive representative said, "We don't go by points, we go by what is on your record. If there is anything on your record, your rates might increase."

Sigh. The rep told me to ask if I could take a defensive driving course in exchange for the removal of it from my record.

So if it's on my record either way and my rate is more likely to go up either way - shouldn't I just fight and pray that the cop doesn't show up and my case is dismissed?

Posted on: 2012/4/10 23:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/8/23 20:19
From York & Grove
Group:
Banned
It'll show up as a 0 point violation. It should have no affect on your premium. The chances for you to not have it show at all on your record are slim to none.

In fact if you tried to fight it via trial, it is possible the officer can issue you a speeding ticket (I've had that happen to me once).

Your best bet is to take the 0 point deal from the DA.

Posted on: 2012/4/10 22:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Just to be clear:

If I pay to get it down to 0 points, will anything show up on my motor vehicle report which would cause my insurance company - progressive - to increase my rate?

Will I be dinged twice - once by the court and a second time by my insurance company?

If I settle and pay the ticket and it is reduced to 0 points - does that mean my insurance company will never know about it?

Posted on: 2012/4/10 22:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/27 23:03
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

slim26 wrote:
Don't bother getting a lawyer, waste of money.

You can go to court during your appointed time, you will meet with the DA and he will give you an offer. It will probably be about $400 - $450 for driving in an unsafe manner (I think that's what the name of it is) and will be no points against your insurance.

If you want no points, you're not gonna get off for less then $400 - $450.

Most insurance companies will give you a freebie, so 2 points may not affect your insurance rates. If you think you can live with the 2 points, then the fee will be much less then the $400 - $450, but your insurance may or may not go up. However, being you've been in an accident, you probably will not get the freebie.

All that said, how in the world can there be experienced drivers that think a "rolling stop" is an acceptable stop? Isn't that like Drivers 101?

Ditto all above. $400-500, no points, no lawyers. Have to watch them rollin stops.

Posted on: 2012/4/10 20:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/8/23 20:19
From York & Grove
Group:
Banned
Don't bother getting a lawyer, waste of money.

You can go to court during your appointed time, you will meet with the DA and he will give you an offer. It will probably be about $400 - $450 for driving in an unsafe manner (I think that's what the name of it is) and will be no points against your insurance.

If you want no points, you're not gonna get off for less then $400 - $450.

Most insurance companies will give you a freebie, so 2 points may not affect your insurance rates. If you think you can live with the 2 points, then the fee will be much less then the $400 - $450, but your insurance may or may not go up. However, being you've been in an accident, you probably will not get the freebie.

All that said, how in the world can there be experienced drivers that think a "rolling stop" is an acceptable stop? Isn't that like Drivers 101?

Posted on: 2012/4/10 20:04

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/14 15:55
Group:
Registered Users
I think you know the options:

1) not guilty - contest (with or without an attorney)
2) guilty - pay the fine

In certain parts of NJ, I think you can reduce the points even if you plead guilty and pay the fine. See STILLINJC's post above.

FYI - For a "rolling stop"...instead of coming to a complete stop as you should to comply with a stop sign, you're just going through intersection at a low speed. People risk getting a ticket if they get caught, but people do it anyway since most people get away with it (similar to speeding). Tons a of people in my area come to a "rolling stop" to save some time. Unfortunately for them, some undercover cars are hawking certain intersections (near schools).

Sorry, not sure what you meant about the cop's attitude being horrible. Did his attititude cause you to get a ticket or did he cite you for something you didn't do??

Posted on: 2012/4/10 17:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 3:20
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
i once accidentally parked in a handicapped spot in Downtown on Jersey Ave and 8th street - didn't see the markings (it was raining and dark, no streetlight, and the sign was blocked by an overgrown tree). i deserved the ticket and felt terrible about it.

it was a mandatory court appearance (parking in a handicapped spot in JC is), and the Judge explained to everyone who had the same ticket to not try and argue with the bench about it - she didn't want any excuses or BS. Everyone did anyways.

When i got up and said "Guilty, your honor, i'm sorry about it!" She looked shocked and said "if I could lessen the ticket price for you, I would, since you admitted your action, but I can't".

I paid the ticket, and wrote a letter to the spot owner apologizing...

Posted on: 2012/4/10 17:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/27 23:03
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
vindication - I would not hire a lawyer in this case. If your offense is a 4-point offense, they will AUTOMATICALLY reduce it to a 2-point offense for an extra payment. If your offense is a 2-point offense, they will reduce it to a zero-point offense, ditto.

If you cannot live with two points on you record, then I think you are SOL.

Posted on: 2012/4/10 16:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/20 23:45
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JerseyCityFrankie wrote:
There are some things people can't see in themselves. We all think we are good drivers, we all think we are good kissers. We all think we can do the dishes and get them clean. Sadly, lots of us are wrong about this. If your admitting your rolling forward at a stop sign and insisting this is O.K.? Your a bad driver. Drivers that don't come to a complete stop at EVERY STOP SIGN are dangerous drivers and I am glad you were ticketed.

We all think we know how to use the English language!

http://www.yourvsyoure.com/

Posted on: 2012/4/10 16:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/11/20 23:45
From gone
Group:
Registered Users
Just to be clear, did he have the lights and siren on before or after you rolled through the stop sign?

If the lights were on before, perhaps you could get away with the "but I was trying to get out of the way of an emergency vehicle" argument and successfully plead not guilty.

If not, then I don't see much of a case for your defense. By pleading not guilty and then being found guilty, you'll get charged with the points, and your insurance company will likely hike your premium (or worse) if and when they find out. By showing up and taking the points-free "unsafe driving" deal, you'll have to pay a larger fine, but there will be no points on your record, and though your insurance company could raise your premiums (they can if they want to for almost any reason), it's very unlikely they would.

I once got a ticket for making a right turn at a "no turns" intersection in Newark. I simply didn't see the sign, but the sign was there. No pictures or testimony were going to change the fact that I made an illegal turn. I took the "unsafe driving" deal, paid about $400, was interviewed by a Star-Ledger reporter while waiting, and never had another worry about it.

Your case seems similar in that the sign was there, you just didn't "observe" it.

When you go to court, you'll have an opportunity to speak with the prosecutor before appearing before the judge. The prosecutor will offer you the "unsafe driving" deal right off the bat. You don't need to have a lawyer or anything prepared to negotiate for it. Just take it or say, "No, thank you, I want to plead not guilty," if that's what you want to do instead. If that's the case, the prosecutor will ask "are you sure?" three or four times before releasing you to the judge to set a date to appear for trial. If you go this route I would certainly recommend hiring a lawyer.

Posted on: 2012/4/10 16:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/7/22 15:58
Group:
Registered Users
There are some things people can't see in themselves. We all think we are good drivers, we all think we are good kissers. We all think we can do the dishes and get them clean. Sadly, lots of us are wrong about this. If you admit you were rolling forward at a stop sign and insisting this is O.K.? You are a bad driver. Drivers that don't come to a complete stop at EVERY STOP SIGN are dangerous drivers and I am glad you were ticketed.

Posted on: 2012/4/10 16:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
That was a great link. Thanks neverleft.

How do points actually affect my insurance and record?

If I get the opportunity to lessen the fine with no points, there is no chance my insurance rate goes up?

Also, if I go and I do not take the plea deal and the officer does not show up - is it always a dismissal or will it be rescheduled?

The other thread mentioned 750 for a lawyer which sounds very expensive...=\

Posted on: 2012/4/10 16:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
I found an old link here on JClist that may help you.

Old link from 2009?.

http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=17720

Hey tommyc_37 how did it turn out?

I never got a ticket...but here's some info?

If you go to court you will first meet with the prosecutor he/she will offer you the no points deal.

In one instance a friend got a ticket for reckless driving..long story..accident, etc. He got a lawyer because of the fear of law suits, etc. The lawyer talked to the prosecutor before court. When it was before the judge it was downgraded to obstructing the flow of traffic. That 5 minutes of work by the lawyer cost the guy with the ticket $1100 (lawyers bill) plus whatever fine there was. But it was well worth it.

Good luck!

Posted on: 2012/4/10 15:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/28 15:11
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

vindication15 wrote:

I can't read his signature. Are there particularly bad ones?

Yes. Wondering if it was our friend, Officer Hickey...

http://jclist.com/modules/newbb/viewt ... id=288437#forumpost288437

I imagine he got picked on a lot as a kid and takes it out on everyone he stops.

Posted on: 2012/4/10 15:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
Go to court. I got a ticket a few years ago for going 41 on Marin, which was impossible. I drive a hybrid and had left from a dead stop at a red light about a block earlier. (The cop was parked down second street and just shooting his radar blindly toward Marin during rush hour.) The cop also wrote me up for failing to signal a lane change (I got over because he was coming up on me, lights flashing, at a high rate of speed and I thought he was going after someone else so I got over to get out of his way.) Cop was kind of a jerk - walked over to the fence separating Newport Mall to talk to his buddy for a few minutes while he was supposed to be doing all of his "investigative work" in the car. I decided to challenge the ticket - it requires two trips to court, the first to get a hearing date. I had spent a lot of time thinking about the best argument to make - and then the cop didn't show and the charges were dismissed. In talking to a good number of other people, it seems as though that's pretty common. Quite a few other people were dismissed the day I went. You are rolling the dice, but probably the worse case is they offer you a deal. If the cop does show up, you can probably at least explain away the speeding charge.

Thanks for sharing your story. There was no speeding charge for me. It was just the failure to stop or yield. I think he understood I was flustered because when I pulled over, I actually hit the curb a little bit with the underside of my car. I really thought he was trying to get to a crime scene or something because he had the lights and the siren on.

Posted on: 2012/4/10 15:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/25 20:40
From somewhere else
Group:
Registered Users
Go to court. I got a ticket a few years ago for going 41 on Marin, which was impossible. I drive a hybrid and had left from a dead stop at a red light about a block earlier. (The cop was parked down second street and just shooting his radar blindly toward Marin during rush hour.) The cop also wrote me up for failing to signal a lane change (I got over because he was coming up on me, lights flashing, at a high rate of speed and I thought he was going after someone else so I got over to get out of his way.) Cop was kind of a jerk - walked over to the fence separating Newport Mall to talk to his buddy for a few minutes while he was supposed to be doing all of his "investigative work" in the car.

I decided to challenge the ticket - it requires two trips to court, the first to get a hearing date. I had spent a lot of time thinking about the best argument to make - and then the cop didn't show and the charges were dismissed. In talking to a good number of other people, it seems as though that's pretty common. Quite a few other people were dismissed the day I went. You are rolling the dice, but probably the worse case is they offer you a deal. If the cop does show up, you can probably at least explain away the speeding charge.

Posted on: 2012/4/10 15:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
A full stop is required. You need to look for more than just cars. There's also pedestrians, cyclists and motorcyclists on the road that you might not see with your rolling stop. Count your blessings that he didn't give you a ticket for speeding and failure to indicate a lane change (pulling to the side of the road). It sounds like he let you off easy. If there are points and you've never done traffic court before, hire a lawyer and he'll negotiate your ticket down to a lesser charge for you. Which cop was it? What does it say on your ticket?

I can't read his signature. Are there particularly bad ones?

Posted on: 2012/4/10 15:30

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
How does the negotiating work? Is there anything i can bring that would convince the judge/prosecutor to lessen the charge? Pictures? I just don't want anything on my record...It would hurt me very much financially to have to pay 400 but since I am still under 30 years of age and had a recent accident during inclement weather, my insurance will probably nickel and dime much more out of me.

Is it a given they will lessen my charge? How much does a lawyer cost? Can anyone recommend a lawyer?

Posted on: 2012/4/10 15:24

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017