Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
123 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 123

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: God belongs on the streets in Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/8/5 3:20
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users
unfortunately, many people who call themselves Atheists are actually anti-religion, and not Atheists. There is a difference.

And frankly, i've received MUCH more aggressive comments from so-called "atheists" vehemently attacking all religion than I ever have from any peer I know who actually goes to church, temple, or mosque.

Posted on: 2012/4/4 13:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:

there are a lot of really dickish atheists out there. Like those guys that buy billboards and bus advertisements . Or like people that comment on messageboards about fairy tales and make believe men in the sky.

Those atheist billboards aren't really any different than the billboards quoting God or advertising Jesus saves. Its a way of reaching out to atheists, particularly in closed communities, or of encouraging people who are questioning their religious beliefs but need a little extra help to figure it out.

Posted on: 2012/4/4 13:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/27 23:03
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CatDog wrote:
Quote:

mscottc wrote:
Quote:

borisp wrote:
Quote:

Rorschach wrote:
This says it all on this topic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeSSwKffj9o

Hear, hear.

Atheists are the most intolerant, bigoted and disrespectful to other people's faith.

That is, of course, when they are not afraid of those other people.

Bullshit... Atheists have never once asked you not to believe in god. We've never stopped you from partaking in your religion. We've never asked you to contribute to our charities. We've never as a group organized to control your life or to convert you to our belief system. And nobody has ever killed in the name of Atheism." We've only asked for one thing, that you simply keep your religions out of a government that belongs to all of us.

I will however give you the fact that there is a good side to religion. It gives people hope, it gives people a reason to be good and in many cases people have used the call of god or the organization to achieve good in this world. But none of that goodness proves the core of religion, that a god actually exists.

"Oh, and if you are going to lay the line on that Hitler and Lenin and Stalin were atheists, that may or may not be true, but what is true, is the only reason they espoused atheism is to quash any religious leadership so the clerics couldn't rally the masses, not because they truly believed in Atheism.
there are a lot of really dickish atheists out there. Like those guys that buy billboards and bus advertisements . Or like people that comment on messageboards about fairy tales and make believe men in the sky.

As dickish as those guys?

http://tinyurl.com/bikk

Posted on: 2012/4/4 13:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/9/12 11:53
Group:
Registered Users
I think people need to go back and read the original post. I still can't see what wrong these folks have done. I am pretty sure they were law abiding when doing their marching and praying. And they didn't advocate any hate or something vile.

In reference to someone asking about the status of certain historical figures.... Hitler.... is much debated. He mixed many beliefs together(Christianity, Old Norse Myth, Pagan) to add to Nazi beliefs and symbols. Whether he believed in this or was using it as purely propaganda, I don't know.

Stalin, Lenin, Trotsky and most of the Communists were definitely atheists.

Pol Pot was an atheist.
Slobodan Milo?ević was an atheist.

It isn't religion or atheism that is a problem....it's man.

Posted on: 2012/4/4 13:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

mscottc wrote:
Quote:

borisp wrote:
Quote:

Rorschach wrote:

Hear, hear.

Atheists are the most intolerant, bigoted and disrespectful to other people's faith.

Bullshit... Atheists have never once asked you not to believe in god. We've never stopped you from partaking in your religion. We've never asked you to contribute to our charities. We've never as a group organized to control your life or to convert you to our belief system. And nobody has ever killed in the name of Atheism." We've only asked for one thing, that you simply keep your religions out of a government that belongs to all of us.

I will however give you the fact that there is a good side to religion. It gives people hope, it gives people a reason to be good and in many cases people have used the call of god or the organization to achieve good in this world. But none of that goodness proves the core of religion, that a god actually exists.

"Oh, and if you are going to lay the line on that Hitler and Lenin and Stalin were atheists, that may or may not be true, but what is true, is the only reason they espoused atheism is to quash any religious leadership so the clerics couldn't rally the masses, not because they truly believed in Atheism.

Posted on: 2012/4/4 12:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/27 23:03
From Jersey City yo!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

borisp wrote:
Quote:

Rorschach wrote:

Hear, hear.

Hey, Boris, you were actually making a lot of sense on jclist before this post...

Posted on: 2012/4/4 12:49

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/9/21 19:56
Group:
Registered Users
Freedom of religion is fine unless it infringes on someone's right to be free of religion.

Posted on: 2012/4/4 12:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

borisp wrote:
Quote:

Rorschach wrote:

Hear, hear.

z

Recognizing irrationality is being intolerant? Are you tolerant of my belief in the Flying Spaghetti Monster?

Posted on: 2012/4/4 11:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/16 16:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

borisp wrote:
Quote:

Rorschach wrote:

Hear, hear.

Posted on: 2012/4/4 10:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/7/1 9:09
From Southern JC
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

borisp wrote:
Quote:

Rorschach wrote:

Hear, hear.

Posted on: 2012/4/4 9:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/10/31 13:04
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Rorschach wrote:

Hear, hear.

Posted on: 2012/4/4 3:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Asif wrote:
I think people are being a bit overly critical on this topic. According to our constitution they have done nothing wrong. All they did was exercise their rights.

We have had parades or marches on a number of issues....and MOST do exactly what these folks did ....which is put one foot after the other and MARCH. The only reason people are getting so worked up is the addition of prayer. If we substituted the action of prayer with a moment of silence....this topic would not even garner a little attention and would soon fade away from the forum section.

One last thing. Most people on here are decent folks and I am sure most of you are surrounded by good people. And you all know how hard it is to get even friends and family organized for a simple get together. The fact that people even carried this off...is commendable.

According to rationality, they're doing it wrong.

Posted on: 2012/4/4 2:36

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/13 23:34
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/4/4 2:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I think people are being a bit overly critical on this topic. According to our constitution they have done nothing wrong. All they did was exercise their rights.

We have had parades or marches on a number of issues....and MOST do exactly what these folks did ....which is put one foot after the other and MARCH. The only reason people are getting so worked up is the addition of prayer. If we substituted the action of prayer with a moment of silence....this topic would not even garner a little attention and would soon fade away from the forum section.

One last thing. Most people on here are decent folks and I am sure most of you are surrounded by good people. And you all know how hard it is to get even friends and family organized for a simple get together. The fact that people even carried this off...is commendable.

Posted on: 2012/4/4 1:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/2/8 20:19
From Paulus Hook
Group:
Registered Users
Keep you fairy tales to yourself

Posted on: 2012/4/3 22:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/12/16 16:34
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Tyler wrote:
I rather see the youth praying anytime. Most of JC high school students are smoking pot, or having unprotected sex.

It's the church that quashes teaching kids about protected sex. Kids are going to have sex... if the church has any sense of common sense about reality, it would encourage the teaching of and the use of contraception.

Of course who ever claimed belief in a mythological "all powerful old man up in the sky who controls everything" was sensible? Oh wait, all you believers.

Posted on: 2012/4/3 21:53

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/11 13:18
Group:
Registered Users
I respect that they're at least trying to do something to change the culture in the neighborhood.

Posted on: 2012/4/3 21:17

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/10/13 20:44
Group:
Banned
I prefer wearing a ribbon or changing my status on Facebook as a means to accomplish social change.

Posted on: 2012/4/3 19:47

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/9 18:52
From Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
I rather see the youth praying anytime. Most of JC high school students are smoking pot, or having unprotected sex.

Posted on: 2012/4/3 19:43

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/23 16:06
From Hamilton Park, Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Mr_Johnson wrote:
You know where God belongs? In your church, or in your home. Why must people constantly push their beliefs on others in public spaces?

Exactly.

Posted on: 2012/4/3 19:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
If the government was promoting this...then I would have a huge problem with this.

Well said.

Posted on: 2012/4/3 19:25

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
1/7 4:19
Group:
Registered Users
I'm alright with the parade and prayer all that, but I don't really understand how this epiphany ended with a parade.

Quote:
(As she) saw many churches on Jersey City streets, she wondered if they are having any impact on the quality of life.

so she decided to organize a parade with people praying? How does that improve the quality of life in Jersey City? I thought she was going to organize street cleanups or charity drives or recreational leagues or something that would actually do something.

They stopped at areas with violence and prayed? Are you freaking kidding me? That's their brilliant idea for improving Jersey City? How about a neighborhood watch and outreach programs or community events? Prayer. Come on, guys.

Posted on: 2012/4/3 19:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Unless I am mistaken....they seem to be exercising their constitutional rights. And as far as i know ALL ideas are welcomed in the public square/marketplace no matter what we may think of them as individuals.

If the government was promoting this...then I would have a huge problem with this.

Posted on: 2012/4/3 19:14

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
You know where God belongs? In your church, or in your home. Why must people constantly push their beliefs on others in public spaces?

I agree! When I first read this story it had the scent of the tea party Every thing that comes out of their mouths is God this God that. One thing I can agree with is drug sales should not be at every fast food place here in the city.

Posted on: 2012/4/3 18:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/26 15:30
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Mr_Johnson wrote:

Amen to that!!

Posted on: 2012/4/3 18:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/3/8 15:08
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/4/3 18:41

God belongs on the streets in Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
The city of Jersey City faces many challenges and people want answers.
The police chief and mayor have been meeting with neighborhood groups to provide plans to combat crime. The Board of Education wants input in the selection of the next superintendent of schools. Hospital officials are reassuring residents that for-profit hospitals will still provide quality health care.
But some people are asking what the churches are doing to make a better Jersey City. And one of them is Keisy Oviedo, 16, an eleventh grade student from University Charter School on West Side Avenue and born-again believer.
As she rode one day on the 88 bus along Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive and saw many churches on Jersey City streets, she wondered if they are having any impact on the quality of life. So she decided to enlist other church members and form a group that would prepare a march through the streets of Jersey City. Thus was born, ?God Belongs In My City? (GBIMC) movement.
And last Saturday several hundred church members marched from one end of the city to the other and stopped along the way for prayer and witness. ?In a loving way we were showing our faith along the way,? said Daniel Gurry, 27, from Urban Mission Church on Newark Avenue across from Dickinson High School and an organizer of the parade. He was happy that people stopped their cars and got out and people came out from the businesses to meet the marchers and cheer them on.
Most of them were positive, but some were not happy. They stopped in front of a fast food restaurant along MLK Drive where they believed drugs were peddled on the street corners and, according to Gurry, ?some people were getting upset because they were trying to conduct (drug) business? and the marchers were disrupting it.
?We were asking God to flood this community with spirit to transform it,? said Gurry, a ninth grade English teacher at Jose Marti Middle School in Union City.
Oviedo selected other spots that she and others believed needed some prayer. The corner of Belmont and Bergen she believed ?is a dangerous spot? and they also stopped at the Montgomery Housing Projects where she said, ?There is a lot of violence and silent crimes.?
Yet they wanted to highlight the Burger King Restaurant on Bergen and Montgomery because it is a gathering place for all members of community. Starting from 63rd Street and Kennedy Boulevard at the Bayonne border, they veered over to MLK Drive to Montgomery Street and then down to City Hall where they ended. The organizers did not reach out to any elected officials and none met them there.
The marchers knelt down in prayer and sang prayers. Gurry said there were new friendships and relationships formed.
GBIMC was formed in New York City last year in response to an ad that was run by a group of atheists professing their distaste of religion. In response, a group of born-again believers lead by Jack Redman, pastor of Spirit of Christ Tabernacle in Montclair, and others had a genuine desire to see Jesus? love demonstrated through the unity of believers beyond the confines of a building. So they scheduled a parade in New York.
Gurry said that many other American cities have also taken the idea and organized under the umbrella of GBIMC. ?This is a movement, not an isolated incident,? said Gurry, ?and we are going to continue linking churches together.? They believe that what they do inside church has to impact life outside.

Santora is the pastor of Church of Our Lady of Grace & St. Joseph, 400 Willow Ave., Hoboken, 07030, (201) 659-0369, fax (201) 659-5833, e-mail: padrealex@yahoo.com
http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... ers_god_belongs_on_t.html

Posted on: 2012/4/3 18:12

« 1 2 3 (4)

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017