Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
140 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 140

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Alarm System Registration: When did this become law?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/10/30 19:51
Group:
Registered Users
I haven't received any such notice in the mail, and I sure as hell am not reminding city hall about it. But according to the Jersey City municipal code, the law was initially added to the books in 1995 and amended in 1996:

Chapter 83, Alarm Systems. [Added 3-22-1995 by Ord. No. 95-020; amended 4-24-1996 by Ord. No. 96-033; 12-15-1999 by Ord. No. 99-181]

(1)

The annual fee for an alarm system: $20.

Here's the rest of the pertinent law:

? 83-3. - Permit required; fee; application; false statements; nontransferability; exemptions.

A.

A person is in violation of this chapter if he or she operates or causes to be operated an alarm system without a valid permit issued by the Police Department. A separate permit is required for each alarm system.

B.

[Amended 4-24-1996 by Ord. No. 96-033] Upon receipt of a completed application form and payment of the fees set forth in Chapter 160, Fees and Charges, the Police Department shall issue an alarm permit to an applicant unless the applicant has:

(1)

Failed to pay a fee assessed under this chapter; or

(2)

Had an alarm permit for the alarm site revoked and the violation causing the revocation has not been corrected.

C.

Each permit applicant must include the following information:

(1)

The name, address and telephone number of the person who will be the permit holder and will be responsible for the proper maintenance and operation of the alarm system and payment of fees assessed under this chapter.

(2)

The classification of the alarm site as public or private property, residential, commercial or apartment complex.

(3)

For each alarm system located at the alarm site, the purpose of the alarm: burglary, robbery, personal hostage or panic.

(4)

A consent to inspect any premises where alarms are located during regular business hours or during any other mutually agreeable time.

(5)

Other information required by the Director and the Police Department that is necessary for the enforcement of this chapter.

D.

Any false statement of a material matter made by an applicant for the purpose of obtaining an alarm permit shall be sufficient cause for refusal to issue a permit.

E.

An alarm permit cannot be transferred to another person. A permit holder shall inform the Police Department, in writing, of any change which alters any information on the permit application within ten (10) business days of said changes becoming effective. No fees will be assessed for such changes. The alarm administrator will make all necessary notifications of permit changes to the Director as soon as it is practical.

F.

All fees owed by an applicant must be paid before a permit may be issued or renewed. Alarms owned by the city will be exempt from the permit fee requirement.

Posted on: 2012/3/9 6:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
there is an annual registration with the Department of Commerce and PD, alarm company and contact info. don't know when it started, but dates back to at least 1996 for residential when we bought our home and transferred the registration from the prior owners.

Posted on: 2012/3/9 3:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Isn?t it great? Crime is everywhere in JC. So the smart homeowner goes out and gets an alarm system installed. It makes the city look good because it will hopefully prevent another of the many many burglaries from appearing in the COMPSTAT crime reports.

But what does the city do? They charge you 20 bucks a year to register it. For what? To give your alarm a "control number" in their computer, as if your address wasn?t enough? Duh?

I saw a notice from May 30, 1996?. I think the fee started then.

Posted on: 2012/3/9 3:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JohnHanu wrote:
When we installed Slomin, they told us of the city requirements. That's as far back as 2006.

All my stuff was installed back in 1997 to 2002. I guess I got under the window. Permits were pulled, so the city knew about them. I guess I got under the window.

Posted on: 2012/3/9 0:55

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/8/10 19:04
Group:
Registered Users
When we installed Slomin, they told us of the city requirements. That's as far back as 2006.

Posted on: 2012/3/9 0:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
news to me

Posted on: 2012/3/8 23:11

Alarm System Registration: When did this become law?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
I have been getting lots of notices that I have to now register the alarm systems in my apartments (with a fee of course!). When did this happen? I have had alarm systems since 1997 and this is the first time I have been required to register them.

*sigh* More $$$ out of my pocket at a time when I am really tight money wise.

Posted on: 2012/3/8 17:34

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017