Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
115 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Re: Bike JC's Third Annual Jersey City Ward Tour, Sun. June 3, 2012
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/8/30 8:48
Group:
Registered Users
Hi, riders!

I'm a volunteer tour marshal with Bike JC

Thanks for the compliments and critiques; shortly we will be having a post-tour meeting to discuss this year's ride and plan improvements for next year. I'll make sure every word on this thread is made available to everyone there.

I don't want to speak for the group about anything specific, but I can tell you that we're already aware of most of the points mentioned, and that we were talking about ways to improve on them literally before we got off our bikes at the festival.

One constant: It always helps to have more marshals -- and I can definitely help y'all sign up for that next year!

Posted on: 2012/6/5 22:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/14 6:40
Group:
Registered Users
This was my first tour and it was great overall, but I have to agree that it was very poorly organized. There was a good list of rules posted on the website, but you have to assume that these rules were not read by many.

There was plenty of time to explain some things to everyone and instead we just stood around before the start. Because most people did not read the plan, each time we stopped people could not break it through their skull that they are not the only one's riding today and that we do not own Jersey City. People were complaining about JC, and JCPD, and everything else. They don't realize people need to catch up otherwise all of Jersey City will be closed off.

This should have been mentioned at the start of the tour. It would have been even more helpful if they told us apx how long we would wait there. I knew we would stop at Lincoln Park but I did not know for how long. If I knew it would be that long, I would sit down on bench like many others.

There was no official communication system, which isn't necessary, but could be mentioned at the start of the tour. People raised their hands to give a heads up to other riders, but other riders did not know what that meant. What good is a warning if no one understands it. Also notable, as bikers, raising your hand to signal a stop isn't the best idea.

The organizers also planned some stops poorly. They are good stops, but give at least some warning. There are volunteers all over the place, give some heads up. Coming down the hill from JFK or Newark Ave to a full stop creates a lot of close calls. People were going down these hills at full speed.

Also kids were very poorly monitored as they had no concern for anyone else. Not saying they should not ride, but their parent's should watch them or get out. People had to move away from them contantly as they went back and forth, left to right. I also suppose telling people to keep right if possible wouldn't have been the hardest thing in the world.

And I agree with others about the near accidents. It started off great, but then there was only one motorcycle cop in the front and thats all. Once he passed the intersection, cars have no clue what to do. Considering the tour split up more towards the end, someone, not necessary a cop, should have waited at the major crossings.

The signs in Lincoln Park were a problem. But its not really worth it to remove them. What could have helped was warnings about how much space we had. We kept switching from 2 lanes to 1 lane to using both sides of the road. A simple heads up like "merge" from the marshalls could avoid that.

Finally, the streets were closed off for us. In some areas people actually stopped to look at us. If people are cheering for you, smiling at you, looking at you, honking at you, why not react in some way. Smile back, wave, ring your bell. Some people acted like they were riding their bike to work or something.

Posted on: 2012/6/4 20:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/30 19:53
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

od49 wrote:
... No one hurt, everyone happy (except two posters here) ...

I really don't understand why you are disparaging posters for mentioning these incidents. I did not say I was unhappy with the race. With that many people, there are sure to be incidents.

I did witness a screaming woman who threw her bike down the sidewalk. I did witness a man fall and get hurt, bleeding. I did witness the front of the pack almost get taken out.

So, because YOU did not see the incidents, they didn't happen? "No one hurt" is not a true statement.

Posted on: 2012/6/4 18:48

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/19 23:22
Group:
Registered Users
The tour was a great day! I hear 700+ rode, making it the biggest ever--which may be why the marshals--who numbered the most ever seemed relatively less numerous. The stops to group up are dictated by the police, who need to make sure they can cover each intersection.

No one hurt, everyone happy (except two posters here)--a great ride with abilities from race-shape to 10 year olds on small bikes. Thanks to the JCPD for making it happen!

Posted on: 2012/6/4 18:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/10/30 19:53
Group:
Registered Users
I was up front and I saw most of what PWENS describes. I saw the 'almost-collision'. I saw the 'crazy bitch'. I saw people almost hit those signs in Lincoln Park.

I did leave thinking that the ride had a bit of a different mood than the previous years. I didn't see strong marshal presence, when in previous years, they were sure to loudly corral people appropriately and avoid obstacles. There was one 'marshal' who was riding mid-pack with speakers blasting, swerving around.

Lighten up on PWENS; it was not a 'race' upfront. People were not trying to pass the marshals. I do think the people in front are too closely packed together, though. I think I'll move to the back next year.

One more danger in our area was a young boy who kept swerving, darting around, cutting people off. Luckily he didn't get hurt.

I love this ride. I'll keep going, but it doesn't hurt to point out areas for improvement.

Posted on: 2012/6/4 16:18

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/25 17:42
Group:
Registered Users
It sounds like a bunch of cyclists, led by the marshalls, ran a red light before the road was properly closed and almost got hit by a truck who was legally going through a green light. This is a logistical failure on MULTIPLE levels and has nothing to do with the physical fitness of the marshalls or whether they were riding folding bikes or whatever. Citing those things just makes you look like a judgemental snob.

In my opinion the cops (or someone with authority) should have been directing traffic and the cyclists more effectively and safely in this instance. That truck driver probably had no idea there was a bike tour coming through until he/she looked over and saw those 15 cyclists. And likewise even on a bike tour, you're still in a city and you can't assume that the entire city population knows about the tour and that all traffic will yield to you as a result.

Posted on: 2012/6/4 15:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/31 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
Wow. PWENS maybe you misunderstood what the ride was all about - I (am glad I) chse not to participate, your post/you lead me to believe I made the right call.
Maybe you should check out the USCF and get a racing license, I am sure you will move up from CAT5 to 4 in no time with your fast bike and need for speed!

Posted on: 2012/6/4 15:02

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/6/2 18:16
From West Bergen
Group:
Registered Users
I have to agree...This was a great ride (I was in the 1st group of 50+ riders).

This is the only event (I'm aware of) where we can ride throughout JC and not be overly concerned about car traffic.

There were 3 stops in total:
1 Culver & Westside - we probably could have done without this stop as I think it was unplanned and meant to wait for the entire group
2 Lincoln Park
3 North & Palisades - seemed to be more of a traffic jam rather than a planned stop

Minus the 45 mins or so in stops, I thought it was pretty well organized

Posted on: 2012/6/4 14:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/8/23 20:19
From York & Grove
Group:
Banned
Good ride. My only complaints were the two really long delays/waits were a little much. Each one seemed to be about 1/2 hour and they were only separated by about 1.5 miles. I'm not sure if that was planned or if they had to wait for the law enforcement to block off JFK.

Posted on: 2012/6/4 13:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Not sure what tour PWENS was on , I was with a few people and we all had a blast. Good Times!!!! Resized Image

Posted on: 2012/6/4 11:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Pwens - sounds like you were going too fast, my understanding is this tour is supposed to be a leisurely ride through Jersey City, not a race.

You should have stayed behind the lead marshal, whether they were on a fold-up bike or not. Presumably then the cross-roads would have been closed by the time you got to them. If you are ahead of the marshalls and zooing off, then streets might not be closed in time.

Robin.

Posted on: 2012/6/4 2:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/6/4 2:54

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/6/3 22:10
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I rode for the entire tour this morning, mostly near the very front of the tour, and let me tell you, it was literally nearly a disaster, with some real, mortal, preventable dangers, and lacking some major organization and most basic safety implementations.

Where do I begin.

Let's start with the most dramatic - at some point in Greenville, the tour participants are cruising along, faithfully trailing behind the "marshals" - the volunteers put in place to lead the masses and serve as the tour's point men. We cross through an intersection with a red light for our direction (one of many we had already gone through - but of course, that's expected, right? It IS a bike tour after all).

Suddenly, 15+ bicyclists at the very front of the tour are nearly fatally t-boned by a sedan legally crossing the OPEN intersection, who had to slam on its breaks and screech to a stop, leaving the bicyclists on the left-most part of the lane literally leaning over with hand on the car's hood. 15+ people, nearly all killed, right in front of me. That would have marked the last bicycle tour in Jersey City for a hundred years.

This could have easily been avoided by 1.) closing off the intersections far in advance, 2.) posting a stationary non-bicycle marshal at each intersection to hold traffic as the tour approaches, 3.) having the police motorcycles focus more on the lead of the tour rather than deal with out of shape stragglers at the back 4.) re-routing traffic with signs and light boards in advance.

Let's talk more about the marshals. Granted, I appreciate their volunteerism, but I'm sorry, it is unacceptable for the LEAD marshals - the ones who are supposed to be commanding the group up front, the ones who should be exhibiting leadership - to be so painfully out of shape, soft spoken, and on bicycles that could not mechanically keep pace with 70% of the crowds' bicycles, even if an Olympic athlete were riding them. Yes, one of the TWO (just 2) lead marshals was on a 1-speed folding bicycling. Are you kidding me? No wonder they kept falling behind. I have no problem with their general desire to volunteer, but really the organizer needs to put the athletically best (with corresponding hardware) at the front of the pack to keep people in line.

Now for another organization boner. So we're in the portion of the tour that runs through Lincoln Park. You know in parks and residential neighborhoods, how sometimes the traffic authority will place in the middle of the road those cones with the signs that say "Yield to Pedestrians" or whatever? Many of them were left in the road for the tour. This may seem minor to a non-participant, but I assure you it created a pretty moderate danger. Realize that even a good rider, who is looking straight ahead and paying attention to neighboring cyclists, only sees these obstacles at the last second, as they are just short enough to be out of the line of sight from a short distance. Couple that with the fact that the metal signs are razor sharp, AND when someone strikes them it sways back and forth on a spring like some kind of horror movie torture saw, these thing were another unnecessary recipe for disaster. How could those have been left up for the bike tour?

Finally, I'd like to give some props to the bicycle-mounted police officers who bounced in and out of the tour lead, were in great physical shape, and who provided the assertiveness and verbal command of the crowd to generally keep people in line and in the right direction.

P.S. At the front of the tour, near the home stretch past the Heights, there was an accident involving a bicyclist who was accidentally bumped by another on a turn. He tumbled down but sprang right back up. Glad he's okay. But, to the absolute crazy bitch who was screaming bloody murder at the rider who inadvertently bump the downed rider ("HEY. YOU, NUMBER 386 [or whatever] STOP! STOP!!!!! STOPPPPPP!!!!!!!!"), please stop participating in these tours. No one likes you, and you only made things more unpleasant for people.

Posted on: 2012/6/3 22:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
This was gr8!!!!! Totally enjoy it.

Posted on: 2012/6/3 18:40

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/12/18 22:09
Group:
Registered Users
Weather looks perfect for tomorrow morning and it's the last day to register online! We will have a spot for walk ins the day of.

Not riding? Come for the crAfter Tour Festival featuring Not Your Mama's Affairs vendors (see sample below), Beer Garden by White Star Bar, Food and live music from 1:00pm to 5:00pm.

Vendors joining us at the crAfter Tour Festival:

1-SilkWire Jewelry www.silkwirejewelry.com

2-SamKa Jewelry Designs https://etsy.com/shop/samkajewelrydesigns

3-Joanne Simmons Jersey City Craft Mafia www.jccraftmafia.com

4-The Brassy Bayou www.thebrassybayou.com

Posted on: 2012/6/2 16:40
Easy Riders JC

Contact Info:
201-377-9771
contact@EasyRidersJC.com
www.EasyRidersJC.com

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
A leisurely stroll through each of Jersey City's diverse neighborhoods is a rare opportunity, even for locals. The brownstones of the Historic Downtown are a popular sight, but what about the somber Bayview Cemetery on Garfield Avenue? Or the bustling businesses on John F. Kennedy Boulevard nearby? The transition between the adjacent areas often goes unnoticed.
This Sunday, Bike JC will provide the public with a chance to experience all that Jersey City has to offer in the 2012 Ward Tour, a 15 mile bike ride through all six districts of Jersey City.
Last year, hundreds of cyclists, including myself, flooded the main thoroughfares of Jersey City -- much to the chagrin of local drivers. Admittedly, it felt good to ride freely through normally busy streets without the fear of getting side-swiped by a car.JJ

Posted on: 2012/5/30 18:30

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/10/30 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
Set List for the crAfter Tour Festival:

1:00 pm Sylvana Joyce and the Moment

1:50 pm Manouche Bag

2:40 pm Roland Ramos

3:15 pm War Face

4:00 pm Black Water

The crAfter Tour Festival will also feature:

Free massages from 1-3pm by Harborside Sport & Spine

Beer Garden by White Star Bar

Numerous vendors from Not Yo Mama's Craft Fair

Posted on: 2012/5/30 17:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
The big bike is coming up, a week from Sunday! Have you registered yet? Spots are still available:

REGISTER HERE

Posted on: 2012/5/23 19:07

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/12/18 22:09
Group:
Registered Users
On June 3, Ward Tour participants can take advantage of the following discounts offered
by our sponsors.
Easy Riders JC: $20 for a 24 hour rental for the JC Ward Tour (booked prior to June 3)
Satis: 10% off entire bill at restaurant or bar day of Ward Tour. Must present bib.
Pole Position: Member pricing ($20) for one standard race per person. Only valid on the
day of Ward Tour and cannot be combined with any other offer. Must present bib

Resized Image

Bike JC?s Third Annual Ward Tour is sponsored by the Historic Downtown Special
Improvement District, the Hudson Transportation Management Association, Pole
Position Raceway, The Iron Monkey, Yelp, Art House Productions, Madame Claude
Caf?, Madame Claude Wines, Easy Riders JC, Grove Street Bicycles, Barcade, Two
Boots Pizza, Satis Bistro, Institute for Personal Growth, Jersey City Independent, Captain
Al?s, White Star Bar & Grill, JC List, and Rock-it Docket.

Posted on: 2012/5/4 15:33
Easy Riders JC

Contact Info:
201-377-9771
contact@EasyRidersJC.com
www.EasyRidersJC.com

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/10/9 2:11
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
nice, just signed my gf and me up. we will be in the back of the herd on our folding bikes.

Posted on: 2012/5/1 23:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Woooooo!!! Registration for the tour is now open! Do it online right here: REGISTER

More info is here: TOUR INFORMATION

And here's the link to download the full-size PDF of the map of the tour route: Map PDF

Posted on: 2012/5/1 21:13

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/10/30 16:55
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City Ward Tour, June 3, 11 am, Exchange Place. Rain date June 10.

Come celebrate another year of policy and community accomplishments with Bike JC at the third annual Jersey City Ward Tour, a sixteen-mile group bike ride through all six wards of Jersey City on June 3. The Tour starts and finishes at Exchange Place, leaving at 11 am. Registration is required and is free online at bikejc.org with a suggested donation of $5.

The festival at Tour?s End features great goods from Not Yo Mama?s Craft Fair. It will also offer food and beer; live music; and a nonprofit showcase. Riders and non-riders alike are invited to Exchange Place from 1-5 pm on June 3.

The Tour starts downtown and travels up Montgomery to Grand Street, heading south on Garfield Ave in Greenville, where it hooks back north via Danforth and Mallory to Lincoln Park. Exiting the park, it heads north along Kennedy Blvd to North Street and Palisade Avenues in the Heights, eventually coming down Newark Ave and Seventh Street to end up back downtown and finish at Exchange Place.

On June 3, Ward Tour participants can take advantage of the following discounts offered by our sponsors.
Easy Riders JC: $20 for a 24 hour rental for the JC Ward Tour (booked prior to June 3)
Satis: 10% off entire bill at restaurant or bar day of Ward Tour. Must present bib as proof.

Bike JC?s Third Annual Ward Tour is sponsored by the Historic Downtown Special Improvement District, the Hudson Transportation Management Association, Pole Position Raceway, The Iron Monkey, Yelp, Art House Productions, Madame Claude Caf?, Madame Claude Wines, Easy Riders JC, Grove Street Bicycles, Barcade, Two Boots Pizza, Satis Bistro, Institute for Personal Growth, Jersey City Independent, Captain Al?s, White Star Bar & Grill, JC List, and Rock-it Docket.

Riders must be 10 and up to participate and must wear helmets.BikeJC

Posted on: 2012/5/1 17:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/7/30 1:08
From Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
Bike JC has its hands full with the Ward Tour and After Tour Festival. However, we are always interested in partnerships if there is another group that would like to organize a kids event.

Note - every year Bike JC supports Hudson TMA's Stride and Ride Bike Rodeo to be held this year on June 9th, location to be determined. see - http://www.hudsontma.org/index.php?op ... id=88&cat_id=21&Itemid=61

For more info, please visit - http://bikejc.org/

Quote:

tern wrote:
Any plans to incorporate a kids event this year?

Robin.

Posted on: 2012/4/3 3:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Any plans to incorporate a kids event this year?

Robin.

Posted on: 2012/4/2 22:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Bump!

Here's a link to some cool photos of last year's tour, from the Jersey Journal, so you can see the dealio:

Tour Photos

More info to come.

Posted on: 2012/4/2 22:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/18 19:17
From Way Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
whoot! last year's tour was awesome.

Posted on: 2012/3/2 22:51

Bike JC's Third Annual Jersey City Ward Tour, Sun. June 3, 2012
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Just a save-the-date for now: Bike JC's third annual bike tour through all of Jersey City's wards will be held Sunday, June 3, with a rain date of Sunday, June 10.

More details will follow as the Tour approaches, here and on the Bike JC website.

For now it looks like the route will be the same as or similar to last year's (which seemed to work out well).

If you don't want to ride, but want to help, we'll be needing volunteers to hand out number bibs, sell T-shirts, etc. And if you're reasonably nimble on two wheels, and maybe know a bit about changing tires and minor bike adjustments, please consider joining me on the marshal crew!

Posted on: 2012/3/2 22:39

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017