Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
141 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 141

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: Hartz Mountain, Roseland Properties planning 1,000-unit residential building
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

Sutherland wrote:
That's a lot of people and a lot of density. A lot should be taken into consideration including but not limited to, sewage, water, additional traffic, green space. Concerned citizens should watch this closely.

Totally agree. The desire to compete with Brooklyn, Hoboken and Long Island City is making Jersey City look more like Flushing.

You living in a dense city = awesome

More people living in a dense city = UNACCEPTABLE

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define ... %20in%20a%205-pound%20bag

Then by living in JC, you're part of the problem, too. That's my point. You have to be consistent and apply the same standards that you apply to others to yourself.

And that's exactly what I'm saying. I don't live in a building that is stuffing people in for the sake of having more customers for Target or the local bars. I hope you get your ant hill dream world but if you don't want to wait you should move to Flushing, Queens. As Yoda might say "An urban planner you are not".

And what difference does that make? Seems like you're drawing an arbitrary line that says how many people should live here. And that line conveniently allows you to live here as well. If population growth is a problem, you're part of them problem, too.

Posted on: 2012/2/24 4:31

Re: Hartz Mountain, Roseland Properties planning 1,000-unit residential building
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bobblehead wrote:
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Design and planning mean a lot. The problem is the economic factors influencing a private developer are not always function in concert with the needs of the neighborhood. But more importantly, because anti-development activists rarely make any attempt at compromise, the result is that they tend to be ignored and developers take an antagonistic approach with that sort of activism.

You think that economic factors matter less to a developer than whether or not the local community is open to compromise? Really?

http://www.111first.com/home.cfm

Embankment?

Yeah, I think if the original proposal, which called for a using the warehouse as a base to a high rise tower hadn't met with public outcry 15 years ago, then there would be people living at 111 First Street with a historic warehouse as a base to the building rather than the empty lot with piles of historically preserved bricks. But they probably would have been the wrong type of people so I hope you are enjoying the pile of rubble.

Posted on: 2012/2/24 3:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/12 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Design and planning mean a lot. The problem is the economic factors influencing a private developer are not always function in concert with the needs of the neighborhood. But more importantly, because anti-development activists rarely make any attempt at compromise, the result is that they tend to be ignored and developers take an antagonistic approach with that sort of activism.

You think that economic factors matter less to a developer than whether or not the local community is open to compromise? Really?

http://www.111first.com/home.cfm

Embankment?

Posted on: 2012/2/24 3:45
"Someday a book will be written on how this city can be broke in the midst of all this development." ---Brewster

Oh, wait, there is one: The Jersey Sting.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Bobblehead wrote:
Yeah, it sounds nice, but can you name any mega-developments that have resulted in a "classic neighborhood"? What does that even mean? Sounds like developer smoke being blown up approval board's ass.

I would like to follow this and see what Carl Goldberg's vision of a "classic neighborhood" turns out to be. Unusable green space, like that done by LeFrak? A high-end grocer, with Manhattan prices? A spa?

Neighborhoods are built by the people who live there, not by the fiat of some development company. I wonder how the folks in Paulus Hook feel about not being a neighborhood, instead being only an "interesting area."

There are many New Urbanist projects across the country that are large scale and so far seemingly successful. I think Liberty Harbor might be a little early to determine whether or not its successful, but it certainly seems headed in the right direction. So surely "mega projects" like Stuyvesant Town or Lefrak City or Newport are mostly failures, but that's not a failure of the size of the project but rather the design and planning.

Posted on: 2012/2/23 16:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

Sutherland wrote:
That's a lot of people and a lot of density. A lot should be taken into consideration including but not limited to, sewage, water, additional traffic, green space. Concerned citizens should watch this closely.

Totally agree. The desire to compete with Brooklyn, Hoboken and Long Island City is making Jersey City look more like Flushing.

Then by living in JC, you're part of the problem, too. That's my point. You have to be consistent and apply the same standards that you apply to others to yourself.

And that's exactly what I'm saying. I don't live in a building that is stuffing people in for the sake of having more customers for Target or the local bars. I hope you get your ant hill dream world but if you don't want to wait you should move to Flushing, Queens. As Yoda might say "An urban planner you are not".

And what if you're late and you forget something you'll be really late if you have to run back up to get it. Also I wonder how an emergency evacuations go, do they have fire drills ?

Posted on: 2012/2/23 16:22
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

Sutherland wrote:

Posted on: 2012/2/23 15:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/12/12 21:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
"The waterfront in Jersey City features many compelling pieces, but it lacks a center," Carl Goldberg, partner in Roseland Property Company, said in a statement. "We see 99 Hudson providing the components that would turn an interesting area into a classic neighborhood."

I like the sound of that.

Yeah, it sounds nice, but can you name any mega-developments that have resulted in a "classic neighborhood"? What does that even mean? Sounds like developer smoke being blown up approval board's ass.

I would like to follow this and see what Carl Goldberg's vision of a "classic neighborhood" turns out to be. Unusable green space, like that done by LeFrak? A high-end grocer, with Manhattan prices? A spa?

Neighborhoods are built by the people who live there, not by the fiat of some development company. I wonder how the folks in Paulus Hook feel about not being a neighborhood, instead being only an "interesting area."

Posted on: 2012/2/23 15:39
"Someday a book will be written on how this city can be broke in the midst of all this development." ---Brewster

Oh, wait, there is one: The Jersey Sting.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

Sutherland wrote:

Posted on: 2012/2/23 12:44

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/6/3 19:43
Group:
Registered Users
I just hope we got some more interesting architecture. Not more boring towers like Monaco.

(Still holding out hope that the Koolhass building will miraculously be resurrected at some point)

Posted on: 2012/2/23 9:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
A lot of Jersey City's biggest problems will be addressed by attracting more high rise development. More people means more voters influencing Trenton politics and Congressional seats from the state. Federal earmarks pay for everything from transportation to parks to schools and Trenton controls everything from NJTransit to the Port Authority (or half the Port Authority, which is all you need to control). More residents means more people paying into systems like sewer upgrades. More consumers means more bars, restaurants and shops and a greater variety of the those businesses.

Instead of whining about "development," perhaps the vocal minority should take an active role in shaping the kind of development that goes in. Waterfront towers that consist primarily of studio and 1 bedroom apartments puts very little pressure on the school system but generates huge amounts of money for the city by way of PILOTs as well as brining in people with higher levels of disposable income to spend on things like restaurants, bars and shops. Fewer parking spaces in new buildings means fewer cars on the streets and more people reliant on mass transit -- which means more political support for improving mass transit such as better weekend services and more ferries. Better architecture includes ensuring that along sidewalks, buildings have retail space or at least windows and doors rather than empty parking structures.

Developers want more larger units because they rent for more money even if it means increasing children in the schools, more parking because spaces can be rented to people who don't live or work in their buildings but cost a marginal amount of money to build, and cheap architecture that doesn't hide parking structures and which is cheaper to build. That's where the anti-development crowd should be focused on because the bottom line is both politically and legally its nearly impossible to downzone existing property and prevent development of these lots. However, its very much possible to encourage a dialogue between government and private development to shape projects into better projects.

Posted on: 2012/2/23 5:35

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

Sutherland wrote:

Posted on: 2012/2/23 5:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Edit.. Jersey City shut down its sewage treatment plants

Posted on: 2012/2/23 2:41

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

Sutherland wrote:

Posted on: 2012/2/23 2:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
Hopefully they're not getting tax abatements.

If I ever give a crap about anyone else's tax abatement, someone please shake me.

Posted on: 2012/2/23 2:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

kencares wrote:
Where will the sewage for these extra 1000 properties go?

Speaking of which. Where does our sewage currently go? (Besides into our basements)

Newark. We send it to the Passaic Valley Sewage Commission where we pay an outrageous amount of money to be treated. NJ shut down its own treatment plants back in the 90's.

Posted on: 2012/2/23 1:48

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JSleeze wrote:
Quote:

user1111 wrote:
does anyone pay taxes down by the waterfront?

You do realize many people downtown pay higher "taxes" than those in the rest of the city, right? They just don't call them "taxes" - they are "payments in lieu of taxes." Anything that is "abated" that has gone on the market since probably '02 or '03 is making higher annual payments (on a percentage of market value) than older properties paying traditional property taxes. The issue isn't that abated properties don't pay taxes, it's who are they paying them to? A much smaller portion of the PILOT goes to the county and none goes to the schools.

Why the steady drumbeat against the "abated" waterfront owners when people living in brownstones around VVP, Paulus Hook and HP are paying less than half the taxes they should be?

Mostly that steady drumbeat comes from people willing to rant but unwilling to do the research to know what they are ranting about. But apparently ignorance has never been an obstacle to having an opinion, so why should it stop someone now?

Posted on: 2012/2/22 19:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/4/26 20:07
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

You do realize many people downtown pay higher "taxes" than those in the rest of the city, right? They just don't call them "taxes" - they are "payments in lieu of taxes." Anything that is "abated" that has gone on the market since probably '02 or '03 is making higher annual payments (on a percentage of market value) than older properties paying traditional property taxes. The issue isn't that abated properties don't pay taxes, it's who are they paying them to? A much smaller portion of the PILOT goes to the county and none goes to the schools.

Why the steady drumbeat against the "abated" waterfront owners when people living in brownstones around VVP, Paulus Hook and HP are paying less than half the taxes they should be?

Posted on: 2012/2/22 19:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

user1111 wrote:

Type in an address and find out:

https://www.cityofjerseycity.com/WebTaxInquiry/AccountSearch.aspx

Posted on: 2012/2/22 19:37

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

Sutherland wrote:

No pun intended ?? Just glad this sort of thing is not happening up in the Heights other wise we would have a towering effect of cookie cutter apartment projects.

Posted on: 2012/2/22 19:15
Get on your bikes and ride !

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

Sutherland wrote:

Posted on: 2012/2/22 19:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/18 14:36
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/2/22 18:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/20 19:08
Group:
Registered Users
stop with the rentals and bring back condos...too many nyc renters who don't care about the property.

Posted on: 2012/2/22 17:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/2/22 17:45

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
?Officials said the development of the project is contingent on the revival of the state Economic Development Agency's Urban Hub Tax Credit (UHTC) residential program, which was suspended after depleting its $250 million allocation.?

Economic Development Agency's Urban Hub Tax Credit (UHTC) link?.

http://www.njeda.com/web/Aspx_pg/Temp ... =718&levelid=6&midid=1175

Posted on: 2012/2/22 17:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Hopefully they're not getting tax abatements.

Posted on: 2012/2/22 17:43

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
This explains other JC residents frustration with this administration, no development has happen worth while through out the city.When will the voters wake up. Disgusting!

Posted on: 2012/2/22 17:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jmiz wrote:
There goes the Iron Monkey's rooftop view.

It won't be much different than it is now. There is no view of Manhattan really ... just JC highrises, which will continue to be the case it seems.

Posted on: 2012/2/22 17:09

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
wow - that's a lot of people. when is the other component of 50 columbus going to be completed. i'm tired of seeing that empty space at the grove path on marin

Posted on: 2012/2/22 16:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/28 15:11
Group:
Registered Users
Where will the sewage for these extra 1000 properties go?

Speaking of which. Where does our sewage currently go? (Besides into our basements)

Posted on: 2012/2/22 16:34

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
"The waterfront in Jersey City features many compelling pieces, but it lacks a center," Carl Goldberg, partner in Roseland Property Company, said in a statement. "We see 99 Hudson providing the components that would turn an interesting area into a classic neighborhood."

I like the sound of that.

Posted on: 2012/2/22 16:31

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017