Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
96 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 96

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Re: parking ticket: motor vehicle nuisance? huh?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

billaccidental wrote:
part of my car was in the red zone (the 25' from the intersection where the curb is painted), but there wasn't any other open spot.

I hope you don't plan on pleading "not guilty."

Posted on: 2013/4/17 22:24
I live by the river.

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/4/18 2:35
Group:
Registered Users
Folks,

I got a weird ticket today 242-7 motor vehicle nuisance and in the description it says- Parked in the marked Lane.

This was on 2nd street,Washington Blvd East side just in front of porto fino bldg.

Parking signs says that you can park from the lamp post by way of arrow mark.

I parked after the sign board. So as per sign board I parked in right area.

I don't understand this issue of parked in marked lane. There is no red curb neither is it within 25ft from pedestrian crossing.

The lane is a two way lane.

I took some pics of where the car is parked and I always parked car here for two years there and I didn't get any ticket like this.

Can anyone shed on this?
Will I be able to contend this ticket and if yes will my pictures be enough.

Does this ticket have any points and how much is charges for this.

thanks in advance.

Posted on: 2013/4/17 22:13

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/5/17 20:57
Group:
Registered Users
I received a Jersey City Motor Vehicle Nuisance ticket on May 1. The issue date was 4/30/2012. I live in Clifton NJ and work in Denville NJ. It states on the ticket that it was issued at 1030am. My occupation is a truck driver and at that day I was in Upstate New York making deliveries. I have a print out from my truck computer showing that I was nowhere close to Jersey City that day. I also have a picture of my car parked on the company parking lot from the surveillance video. I just don?t understand why this ticket was issued to me. The people from the court house were very unhelpful. And they issued me a mandatory court appearance for this. Does anybody think I will have any luck with the prosecutor showing the items or will I have plea not guilty and come back to court for trial?

Posted on: 2012/5/17 21:13

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/3/3 1:52
Group:
Registered Users
The municipal court appears to be highly dysfunctional. They never answer their phone any more. I would recommend that you go to the Municipal Court at 365 Summit. Don't go through the metal detectors. Instead, go to the office on the left and talk to one of the clerks there. They can give you a court date.

I have contested tickets when I good reason to do so, and have won. Regardless however, you always will pay with time. When I went to the parking hearing, other matters were always dealt with first. Parking tickets were last. So bring some reading material to occupy yourself.

Also, the system is terribly inefficient and old-fashioned. I once parked on Montgomery across from City Hall and received a ticket from an overzealous parking patroler at 7:58 for an 8-10 zone. I arrived at my car as she was writing the ticket. She couldn't reverse it.

In order to contest the $42 ticket, I needed to take pictures of the signs identifying the spot as no parking 8-10 and show them to the Judge at court. The process ended up taking perhaps 3-5 hours as I had to wait a long time, and then return to court a second time. It probably wasn't worth it.

Also -- I would never call the number -- they used to answer it, but they have not answered the phone in the last two years to my knowledge. My guess is that many of the workers at the court house are family members of people who are politically connected and help get out the vote at election time.Quote:
Re: parking ticket: motor vehicle nuisance? huh? by 3rdandwild on 2012/3/23 12:26:01 Hi Does anyone know how to find out court date to plea not guilty for parking ticket? There is no information on ticket and When I called the listed number, I was on hold for more than hour and no one answers. Any info?
Quote:
Re: parking ticket: motor vehicle nuisance? huh? by 3rdandwild on 2012/3/23 12:26:01 Hi Does anyone know how to find out court date to plea not guilty for parking ticket? There is no information on ticket and When I called the listed number, I was on hold for more than hour and no one answers. Any info?

Posted on: 2012/3/24 6:57

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/1/24 19:41
Group:
Registered Users
I believe these tickets are issued by the parking authority based on an old ordinance. Going to court in April. Will contact the Parking Authority for an explanation. (May be a chance for them to collect add'l revenue)

Posted on: 2012/3/24 4:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

3rdandwild wrote:
Hi Does anyone know how to find out court date to plea not guilty for parking ticket?
There is no information on ticket and When I called the listed number, I was on hold for more than hour and no one answers. Any info?

Call your ward councilperson and the three at large council people. Also, check with your local block association, and at the Captain's Meeting. Other than that go in person to the courthouse, the ticket venue is next to the court. It is surprising not to have the phone system disabled when the phone number is listed on the back. In addition, you could try having a notarized letter sent registered with a return receipt to the court. I am going to inquire myself, especially when they run for re-election.

Posted on: 2012/3/23 18:22
Get on your bikes and ride !

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/4/4 17:53
Group:
Registered Users
Hi
Does anyone know how to find out court date to plea not guilty for parking ticket?

There is no information on ticket and When I called the listed number, I was on hold for more than hour and no one answers.

Any info?

Posted on: 2012/3/23 16:26

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/22 1:55
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:
Quote:

aalyson227 wrote:
I just went to court for the same ticket, same reason, last week. It ends up being a $90 ticket (that includes the court fee); you just need to plead guilty and then you can pay. A lot of people were in court with the same ticket, most of the cross streets were up and down Jersey Ave. so be careful parking- I've been staying far away from any cross walks (does not matter if it's red curb or not)

Were most of the people that got tickets from the Downtown area ? I would like to know if areas that have hight crime get the same attention by the parking authority. Also if these curbs are faded did anyone bother taking pictures ?

Most of the tickets were downtown, off of Jersey Ave. . In terms of the curbs-the judge stated that it doesn't matter if the crosswalk is identified as such or not (red curb, faded red curb, regular curb), that the "no parking within 25ft of a crosswalk"rule should be common knowledge to anyone with a drivers license, likening it to a fire hydrant. It appears this law is only sporadically enforced, since I see people parking on my corner all the time, but after taking a day off from work for traffic court & shelling out $90 I stay far away.

Posted on: 2012/3/15 22:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/2/3 3:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
It was not a parking ticket. It was issued by a police officer in the same way a moving violation would be because it was a safety issue. That's why you had to appear in court.

I've had the opposite happen to me. I (and about six other cars) got a parking ticket in NYC because I was blocking an intersection on the Canal St. approach to the Holland Tunnel. In that case the city was just looking for revenue so the moving vehicles were deemed to have parked in the intersection.

Posted on: 2012/3/15 19:59
I live by the river.

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/17 17:42
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Banned
Congratulations! In reference to the other ticket thread, had you been booted you would have had to plead guilty to get your car back and never had your vindication in court. The booting is more than heinous, it's violation of due process.

Posted on: 2012/3/15 17:34

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/20 15:29
Group:
Registered Users
i just had my hour in court. step 1: a conversation with the "fixer," the guy who talks to all the perps before they see the judge and who, evidently, has the power to arrange plea bargains. he told me grimly that i might be liable for over $1000 in fines and up to 30 days in jail, and that i could retain a lawyer and pursue a trial. or pay a fine of $140. i asked why a simple parking ticket was being handled this way. he said that he had no information on the specific parking infraction i was being ticketed for, but that this and any aggravating conditions would be forthcoming at trial from the cop who originated the ticket (who wasn't present today). i said i probably wouldn't opt for a trial, but that i wanted some more information. step 2: the judge called me up to the defendants' table and wanted to confirm that i was pleading guilty. i said that i had some questions first, but before i could ask them he said that the court had recently decided that the motor vehicle nuisance statute shouldn't apply to routine parking violations and that in fact it had been cited incorrectly on my ticket. the fixer said that this was news to him, so it sounded like this change in procedure had just happened. the judge also said that the corrected fine would be $55. i said great, paid my $55, and left.

in case anyone else's court case gets resolved differently, feel free to refer to my outcome. the judge's name was abad, and he was straightforward and seemed reasonable.

Posted on: 2012/3/15 17:03

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/3/6 17:52
Group:
Registered Users
I find it hilarious that all you knuckle heads cant answer a simple question with a simple answer...why is it that you have to interject your personal assaults on peoples actions? JUST ANSWER THEY GUYS QUESTION! YOUR IN JERESY CITY, THERES NO SUCH THING AS UTOPIA HERE! NO ONE WILL EVER PARK LEGALLY, THERE WILL ALWAYS BE CRIME, AND PEOPLE WILL ALWAYS BITCH AND COMPLAIN. MOVE TO SAN DIEGO IF YOU WANT THE STEPFORD LIFE!

Posted on: 2012/3/6 18:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

aalyson227 wrote:
I just went to court for the same ticket, same reason, last week. It ends up being a $90 ticket (that includes the court fee); you just need to plead guilty and then you can pay. A lot of people were in court with the same ticket, most of the cross streets were up and down Jersey Ave. so be careful parking- I've been staying far away from any cross walks (does not matter if it's red curb or not)

Were most of the people that got tickets from the Downtown area ? I would like to know if areas that have hight crime get the same attention by the parking authority. Also if these curbs are faded did anyone bother taking pictures ?

Posted on: 2012/2/27 0:51

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/3/22 1:55
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/2/27 0:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/6/16 2:51
Group:
Registered Users
also not all curbs are painted (or if they are they were painted it was 25 years ago and now its just a few flakes here and there)

on my block only one corner has a no parking from here to corner sign the others have nothing (or very very old paint that is not visible unless its full sun at noontime and generally there is plenty of parking when its daytime)

I know (since I have gotten a ticket at the corners) to not park there, but new people/ guests, etc don't know that they have to be 25' (so 2+ car lengths) from the curb (which is kinda crazy to me...1 car length is enough)

Also ticket enforcement is pretty random.... I see cars parked there almost every single night and 9 out of 10 times no ticket then last night there was a parking cart going NUTS around 3-5th btwn Jersey & Eire at 10 pm - while I was trying to find a spot I saw at least a dozen tickets and 1 boot for corner parking.

It is sort of confusing and frustrating because some of us do need cars (I work in the suburbs of NJ... I guess I could train into 33rd, walk to port authority, take a bus to the burbs then walk a few miles to my work? but that seems a but ridiculous)...do you take the 10% risk of getting a ticket or do you drive around for 45 min+ late at night when you are tired and have worked all day and just want to be home (obviously I drive around since my last ticket but I can understand how some people just take the chance especially in the dark, rain, cold etc)

Posted on: 2012/2/25 18:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
I think Robin is on to something. While I think it is the responsibility of citizens to follow the rules and abide by the law, I also think it is the government's responsibility to make those rules and laws clear, and to enforce them. Often times, yellow and red lines have faded to the point where they are not clear or even visible. Often times, signs are equally faded. The city could make a killing by enforcing parking regulations more consistently, but they should be fair and make it a level playing field by investing time (and money) into repainting curbs, and replacing old/faded signs.

Posted on: 2012/2/25 17:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
> a curb painted red means you cannot park there, EVER

There are many outdated or illegally painted red curbs over town. Folks take it upon themselves to paint areas red adjacent to their driveays, or bus stops are moved and the red paint in the old location is not removed.

Robin.

Posted on: 2012/2/25 17:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

1stStGuy wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
If you're in a rush and you park in the first open spot you see and you don't look at the curb. Believe it or not... it's theoretically possible.

That falls under stupidity.

Was that was I was arguing?

Posted on: 2012/2/25 15:27

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/8/18 23:27
From Heights
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
If you're in a rush and you park in the first open spot you see and you don't look at the curb. Believe it or not... it's theoretically possible.

That falls under stupidity.

Posted on: 2012/2/25 13:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

snowflake20 wrote:
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

snowflake20 wrote:
He parked in a yellow or red zone. Apparently, people can do this "by accident".

Are you really arguing this can't happen by accident? Really?

Fine. Tell me how you can park in a red zone by accident? Please do, because we all learn when we get our licenses that a curb painted red means you cannot park there, EVER. Every zone I've seen painted red or yellow has a No Parking sign.

The only thing I can see how you may accidentally park in a yellow zone is when the sign says no parking on school days. Other than that, most yellow zones are the areas that are painted on the end of a street, with No Parking signs on them.

Posted on: 2012/2/25 4:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:
Quote:

snowflake20 wrote:
He parked in a yellow or red zone. Apparently, people can do this "by accident".

Fine. Tell me how you can park in a red zone by accident? Please do, because we all learn when we get our licenses that a curb painted red means you cannot park there, EVER. Every zone I've seen painted red or yellow has a No Parking sign.

The only thing I can see how you may accidentally park in a yellow zone is when the sign says no parking on school days. Other than that, most yellow zones are the areas that are painted on the end of a street, with No Parking signs on them.

Posted on: 2012/2/25 3:46

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/25 2:14
Group:
Registered Users
yes, you can "accidentally" park in a yellow zone when the city is poor and cheap and can't afford to make sure these zones are clear to drivers! and two, I feel that this city is squeezing every cent out of their citizen unjustly by not making certain "no parking" zone clear, especially when it is not part of the permit zone. and placing signs in the midst of construction does not categorize as clear signs! and placing them at the end of a very long block with while cars can enter from side streets (these are the T-zones) way ahead of the sign also does not categorize as proper warning. The city should not penalize the citizen their failure at making the law clear!

So those who are thinking they are mightier than everyone, shame on you! I am sure one day you might experience something ridiculous like this. Mark your own words and remember them when they come back to bite you.

Posted on: 2012/2/25 2:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

snowflake20 wrote:

Posted on: 2012/2/25 0:18

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/20 15:29
Group:
Registered Users
since writing the original post, i've come up with a little more information. first, the parking ticket i got only said 'mvn' on the description line, which didn't explain the nature of the violation. i surmise that i was being ticketed for being in the red zone within 25' of the intersection, but it isn't really specified on the ticket. interestingly, that particular violation is covered under the state title 39 motor vehicle statutes, in particular 39:4-138e. this is the statute that's cited when the parking enforcement officers ticket a car in the red zone; the fine is $42, payable online or by mail. there's also a state regulation 39:4-139.4.c, that states "a parking ticket shall also contain sufficient information to inform the person of the nature...of the offense alleged." since 'mvn' is so nebulous and could refer to almost anything, i wonder if, in and of itself, it's a sufficient description.

after calling the municipal court three or four times and being told that a) i would have to appear in court and b) that the court appearance date written on the ticket was wrong, i finally got a court date of 3/15. nobody has been able to tell me the specific nature of what i've been charged with or what the fine will be. the phone-answering-person at the court did say that there has been a sudden influx of a lot of mvn cases and that the court was getting bogged down with them.

can a particular infraction that's covered by a certain statute and fine be charged under another statute with an entirely different fine? and what criteria determine the statute that kicks in? is there even a system, or is it just arbitrary? i've asked these questions of everyone i've talked to--including the cops themselves--and nobody has given me an answer.

Posted on: 2012/2/24 20:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/2/24 20:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/8/23 20:19
From York & Grove
Group:
Banned
Perhaps a little more detail on what you did wrong other then being tired?

Posted on: 2012/2/24 16:49

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/24 15:43
Group:
Registered Users
Motor Vehicle Nuisance (242-7) - earlier in the month someone started this forum with questions about the ticket. I'm hoping that someone has, at this point, gotten a firm answer on the phone or gone to the courthouse and been given information about what seems to be a new or newly enforced violation?

Posted on: 2012/2/24 16:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

HomeInJersey wrote:
Apparently I'm opening myself up to a stern talking to from my neighbors by saying so...but I came home late and tired from one of the multiple jobs I have to drive to and from in order to afford living in Jersey City and wound up earning myself one of these tickets as well.

I'd really appreciate hearing if anyone has gotten a conclusive answer on what the fine is, or if anyone has gone in for a court appearance on this?

What ticket as well are you talking about ??

Posted on: 2012/2/24 16:04

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/2/24 15:43
Group:
Registered Users
Apparently I'm opening myself up to a stern talking to from my neighbors by saying so...but I came home late and tired from one of the multiple jobs I have to drive to and from in order to afford living in Jersey City and wound up earning myself one of these tickets as well.

I'd really appreciate hearing if anyone has gotten a conclusive answer on what the fine is, or if anyone has gone in for a court appearance on this?

Posted on: 2012/2/24 15:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

snowflake20 wrote:
Because if you read the OP, he said he parks in these zones and happily pays them and considers it a "tax" for living in JC.

No, that's not what he said. He said he considers it a tax, but he did not say he intentionally parked in a no-parking zone.

Even if he did, it doesn't mean that ALL people do it intentionally. That's absurd.

Posted on: 2012/2/6 22:58

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017