Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
45 user(s) are online (30 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 45

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 24 »

Re: What's going there?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From PAD
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

It's almost cute to see all these new business owners come to town with such high hopes and unrealistic timeframes. With the exception of Talde, I can't remember ANY business that has succeeded in opening on (or, even close to) their initially announced opening date. I really do wonder how Talde was able to do what no one else has been able to do.

I mean, after you've opened multiple restaurants in the regulatory hellhole that is NYC, I'd assume that JC was comparatively a walk in the park for those guys.

Posted on: 2015/6/26 11:54
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

kdu1218 wrote:
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Agreed, if the owners really wanted to open a business that's an oversaturated, several years late to the trend kind of food category, how about Ramen? There aren't that many places downtown to get that. Burgers there are a'plenty.

I am so puzzled by people who open businesses here sometimes, don't they do research on what's available already in the area?

Always nice to have a storefront occupied versus empty, but variety is key.

1. Spoke to the owner today - more than just burgers. Why not drop by today?

2. I was told that the store next to Gypsy Grill aka Moodie's is going to be a Ramen shop. I had hoped GG would expand into new space and offer more seating, but it is not.

RE: The place next to Gypsy, I talked one of the owners (very friendly guy) as I was walking by today, and he confirmed that it will be ramen as you had heard. The machines to make the ramen arrived a few days ago, and the chef is from Japan. The place will be called Miso, and the owner hopes it will open in mid to late July (though, you know...).

Mid to late July... 2016?

It's almost cute to see all these new business owners come to town with such high hopes and unrealistic timeframes. With the exception of Talde, I can't remember ANY business that has succeeded in opening on (or, even close to) their initially announced opening date. I really do wonder how Talde was able to do what no one else has been able to do.

Posted on: 2015/6/25 18:23
Print Top

Hide User information
From VVP
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Agreed, if the owners really wanted to open a business that's an oversaturated, several years late to the trend kind of food category, how about Ramen? There aren't that many places downtown to get that. Burgers there are a'plenty.

I am so puzzled by people who open businesses here sometimes, don't they do research on what's available already in the area?

2. I was told that the store next to Gypsy Grill aka Moodie's is going to be a Ramen shop. I had hoped GG would expand into new space and offer more seating, but it is not.

RE: The place next to Gypsy, I talked one of the owners (very friendly guy) as I was walking by today, and he confirmed that it will be ramen as you had heard. The machines to make the ramen arrived a few days ago, and the chef is from Japan. The place will be called Miso, and the owner hopes it will open in mid to late July (though, you know...).

Posted on: 2015/6/25 17:51
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

EasyGibson wrote:
Not as of 11am today.

I'll report back at noon.

I liked both the previous tenants of that spot. Good guys, good sandwiches. Just a little too slow and the coffee was never good enough. Also, they opened too late to be my morning spot, despite living a couple doors down.

Hopefully the burger joint is solid. I'll probably end up eating there a couple times a week just out of proximity.

about 2 businesses ago, when Rosa was there making Arros con Pollo, that corner was my regular lunch spot.

the last guy who ran it was such a rageaholic I rarely went in. on more than one occasion I'd be approaching the entrance, only to be almost physically repelled by the sound of him inside screaming unspeakable obscenities at his wife.

even when he wasn't losing his mind in neck-vein-popping fashion, Eli seemed to be hovering in the realm of "pre-enraged."

the fellas doing the (endless) construction there now are so friendly. let's hope that extends to the business staff. that corner could use some better juju after The Angriest Deli Man.

Posted on: 2015/6/21 9:31
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
Not as of 11am today.

I'll report back at noon.

I liked both the previous tenants of that spot. Good guys, good sandwiches. Just a little too slow and the coffee was never good enough. Also, they opened too late to be my morning spot, despite living a couple doors down.

Hopefully the burger joint is solid. I'll probably end up eating there a couple times a week just out of proximity.

Posted on: 2015/6/20 10:59
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

I blame the length of time it can take to open any establishment in JC, if you're not connected.

when work began at that corner of 1st & Erie, the neighborhood had maybe one place to get a good burger.

glad to know there will be other stuff there, though. is it really open today?

Posted on: 2015/6/19 14:05
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
this more a what was there question:

work is being done on one of the ugly little houses across from Key Food on Jersey. Do the ugly facades cover up four very old houses or were they infill after a fire or something else. They have the same proportions as the three wooden houses across from GVV on 2nd, and steep roofs usually indicate old: the Gregory row, Rolon's bar.

If these are old buildings, I'd love to see them all restored.

Posted on: 2015/6/19 13:21
Print Top

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
"this sounds like they're getting forced out, but aren't they closing because they can make so much more money by renting the building - that they own - to somebody else?"

that's how i understood it so that statement is confusing to me? how can they be forced out when they own the building? they obviously made a decision to close because they felt they could make more money renting to white star but since they're the owners, they're forcing themselves out? wacky

Posted on: 2015/6/18 13:17
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Posted on: 2015/6/17 13:00
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/6/17 12:16
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:

take-out burger joint. they really classed-up that storefront. I hope they succeed, if only as a reward for making that corner so much prettier than it was when it housed an endless succession of lackluster delis.

I never wish anyone anything but good luck when opening a new place, but I can't see how we could possibly need another place to get a burger in DTJC.

Posted on: 2015/6/17 12:05
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
La Conguita is officially closing: http://www.laconguita.com/

from the website: "The restaurant business is tough and sometimes you succeed and fail on a daily basis but we hope that our customers know that we always tried our best for you."

this sounds like they're getting forced out, but aren't they closing because they can make so much more money by renting the building - that they own - to somebody else?

Posted on: 2015/6/17 11:52
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TheGinch wrote:
Quote:

foshizigity00 wrote:
the space on first street at erie, right across from torico??? I peaked in one morning when the back door was open, i could see a bar.. they just layed tiles down on the front stoop. anybody have any more information than that? (sorry if it's already been discussed, i didn't see it)

Spoke to a guy a few weeks back who was working on it, and he said burger joint. I got to peek inside, it's this beautiful wooden counter. Maybe it'll be more of a pick up spot instead of restaurant, like Left Bank?

take-out burger joint. they really classed-up that storefront. I hope they succeed, if only as a reward for making that corner so much prettier than it was when it housed an endless succession of lackluster delis.

Posted on: 2015/6/17 11:50
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
whats going in the massive triangular-ish lot near the corner of Coles Street & Newark Ave ?

It looks like theres a big brick building being gutted and a new building going up in the previous parking lot area.

Posted on: 2015/6/17 11:08
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
La Conguita is officially closing: http://www.laconguita.com/

Posted on: 2015/6/17 10:31
Print Top

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

foshizigity00 wrote:
the space on first street at erie, right across from torico??? I peaked in one morning when the back door was open, i could see a bar.. they just layed tiles down on the front stoop. anybody have any more information than that? (sorry if it's already been discussed, i didn't see it)

Spoke to a guy a few weeks back who was working on it, and he said burger joint. I got to peek inside, it's this beautiful wooden counter. Maybe it'll be more of a pick up spot instead of restaurant, like Left Bank?

Posted on: 2015/6/7 18:44
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
The Blue Moon Mexican restaurant on Montgomery Ave. near the corner of Warren St., which recently closed down is now being replaced by... (drumroll) an extension of Liberty Prime, which appears to be a catering hall/ space for special occasions.

I give this guy credit. This place (both the steakhouse and the bar next door) appears to be absolutely dead-empty every time I walk by it, yet he must be doing some business since it appears that he's actually expanding the place. Best of luck to them.

Posted on: 2015/6/7 16:57
Print Top

Re: What's going there? Jersey Avenue development
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
From June 20, 2013 Planning Board minutes of final approval. Maybe Jeff Wenger at Planning can provide access to artist's rendering of building.

13. Case: P13-040 Preliminary and Final Major Site Plan with deviation
Applicant: Jersey Avenue MM, LLC
Attorney: Charles Harrington
Review Planner: Jeff Wenger
Address: 532 - 536 Jersey Ave & 168-172 Columbus Drive
Block: 12704 Lot: 20, 21, 28, 29
Zone: Newark Avenue Downtown Redevelopment Plan
Description: New 7 story, 76-unit residential building with ground floor retail.
Deviation: Front yard setback.
Decision: Approved.

Posted on: 2015/6/3 9:33
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Jersey City, NJ
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

PRA71 wrote:
I apologize if this has already been mentioned, but I notice they are digging up the ground between the Hamilton Park Montessori school and the building on the other side. I hope they are just building a play ground for the school instead of another apartment complex. Anyone know?

Apt complex "Hamilton Square South"

http://silvermanbuilding.com/next-up/

Posted on: 2015/6/3 9:02
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

skyl4rk wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I still have not found a rendering of this Jersey Ave development - anybody have a link to one?

http://www.urbansquareproperties.com/#!get_involved/c8k2

Hopefully that link will work. In any case, I find the rendering on the developers site quite humorous since it just hides their new construction behind the already existing, century-old buildings in front of it, and doesn't actually show what their own facade will look like.

That rendering is incredibly confusing - where is the development? Is it the taller rowhouse-looking buildings?

Posted on: 2015/6/3 8:39
Print Top

Hide User information
From Downtown Jersey City
Group:
Registered Users
I apologize if this has already been mentioned, but I notice they are digging up the ground between the Hamilton Park Montessori school and the building on the other side. I hope they are just building a play ground for the school instead of another apartment complex. Anyone know?

Posted on: 2015/6/3 7:54
Print Top

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I still have not found a rendering of this Jersey Ave development - anybody have a link to one?

http://www.urbansquareproperties.com/#!get_involved/c8k2

Hopefully that link will work. In any case, I find the rendering on the developers site quite humorous since it just hides their new construction behind the already existing, century-old buildings in front of it, and doesn't actually show what their own facade will look like.

Posted on: 2015/6/2 20:26
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/6/2 17:28
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Seven stories -- apartments above, parking below street level and retail at street level.

Posted on: 2015/6/2 16:41
Print Top

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
by the way - what's being built next to choc-o-pain on jersey between columbus and newark?

Posted on: 2015/6/2 15:38
Print Top

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
it's really too bad about this place. the space itself is solid, but i've felt that they've always had an identity crisis, and never knew what they wanted to be. whether it was powerhouse lounge, 6th borough, or ... powerhouse again.

Posted on: 2015/6/2 15:36
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
I went to Powerhouse once on a Saturday night and it was the strangest crowd.

It felt like the leftovers who didn't have a bar they felt comfortable in so they all ended up there. Also, it definitely had a vibe of "I got a hotel in town and asked the front desk where a good bar was, then I ended up here."
Very, very strange crowd, $6 Yuengling, and the most comically slanted pool table I've ever played.

Posted on: 2015/5/28 22:55
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
From Downtown JC
Group:
Registered Users
The coffeeshop isn't my scene, but it does fill a niche and is always packed on the weekends. The other two places indeed suck, powerhouse must be hemorrhaging money. Other than the occasional private party and NFL Sundays there is never more than a handful of people there.

Posted on: 2015/5/28 12:22
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Also, how long until Powerhouse/6th Borough shutters? I have never seen more than 10 people in there at the same time. Usually, it's less than 5.

I drove by it around 1am a few Saturdays ago (Sunday morning I guess) and the place was packed. It looked like a club scene - loud music, dancing, go go dancers on raised platforms. I almost didn't believe my eyes.

Posted on: 2015/5/28 12:09
Print Top

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
bodhipooh, I'm referring to the the one ON Marin (on the east side of Marin) across the street from that lone-standing Smoke/Convenience Store.

That's the one I am talking about... It is the first of three towers that collectively will make up the Provost Square development. In total, I believe it will bring 46,000 sf of retail space. For now, the first tower is slated to be finished this year.

Posted on: 2015/5/28 11:39
Print Top

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 24 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017