Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
129 user(s) are online (102 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 129

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 24 »

Re: What's going there?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/17 3:49
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
That is actually great news.

It seems like for the last ten years every time I take WTC the entry/exiting is worse than it was last time. Hopefully some time this century there's an underground transfer to the ACE again.

Posted on: 2015/7/8 20:46

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/12 17:59
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

TheGinch wrote:
Quote:

foshizigity00 wrote:
the space on first street at erie, right across from torico??? I peaked in one morning when the back door was open, i could see a bar.. they just layed tiles down on the front stoop. anybody have any more information than that? (sorry if it's already been discussed, i didn't see it)

Spoke to a guy a few weeks back who was working on it, and he said burger joint. I got to peek inside, it's this beautiful wooden counter. Maybe it'll be more of a pick up spot instead of restaurant, like Left Bank?

take-out burger joint. they really classed-up that storefront. I hope they succeed, if only as a reward for making that corner so much prettier than it was when it housed an endless succession of lackluster delis.

Walked past this place this morning - they now have a hamburger sign hanging out the front. Quite understated, not at all garish.

While I'm at it, one of the "no photos!" gestapo at WTC PATH was telling a commuter this morning that the new southern exits will be opening next week. Anyone who works south of WTC will probably shave about five minutes off their commute by exiting on Liberty and Church rather than schlepping up to Vesey and then backtracking down Greenwich.

Posted on: 2015/7/8 14:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

ianmac47 wrote:
Quote:

Tino wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:
what are they buidling near the nj turnpike overpass on newark avenue?

The Gateway

not sure how up-to-date that is...

That design was pre-crash from like 2006.
thanks. i believed the project is now going to have 39 units

Posted on: 2015/7/7 10:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Tino wrote:
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

The Gateway

That design was pre-crash from like 2006.

Posted on: 2015/7/7 4:10

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/10 23:12
From Henderson Yards
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

hero69 wrote:

The Gateway

Posted on: 2015/7/7 3:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/7/6 23:40

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/11/15 0:07
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Regarding the development on Jersey Ave between Columbus and Newark -- the ground floor commercial space is HUGE! If anybody would like a Trader Joe's to consider this space, please take 15 seconds and email them here: http://www.traderjoes.com/contact-us/location-request

I too was surprised at the size of that space. the ceiling height makes it appear cavernous. it's easily about 30% higher than its neighbors on either side.

I thought it was supposed to be another gym. If that's still the case then there may be less for rent than what one sees. For nostalgic reasons I hope it becomes a restaurant called Mike, Where Are the Plungers, Mike.

Posted on: 2015/7/6 23:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Regarding the development on Jersey Ave between Columbus and Newark -- the ground floor commercial space is HUGE! If anybody would like a Trader Joe's to consider this space, please take 15 seconds and email them here: http://www.traderjoes.com/contact-us/location-request

I too was surprised at the size of that space. the ceiling height makes it appear cavernous. it's easily about 30% higher than its neighbors on either side.
the old borinquen hardware store had really high ceilings!

Posted on: 2015/7/6 21:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/3/22 6:01
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Posted on: 2015/7/6 20:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/5 16:03
From PAD
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Greenface wrote:
Anybody know what's going on with the old gray warehouse behind BJs & Shop Rite, 143 2nd Street? Walked past this weekend and noticed they were doing construction and they had the arches opened up along warren street and you could see them working on the interior of the building.

It's being restored (it's protected) in order to be used as a Public Storage location. There's a bit of a fight from the other self-storage companies, as they believe that it's supposed to be used only as apartments, but the restoration is going forward regardless, it seems.

Posted on: 2015/7/6 17:43

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/11 18:46
From Downtown
Group:
Registered Users
Anybody know what's going on with the old gray warehouse behind BJs & Shop Rite, 143 2nd Street? Walked past this weekend and noticed they were doing construction and they had the arches opened up along warren street and you could see them working on the interior of the building.

Posted on: 2015/7/6 17:24

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/6/30 23:56

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

corybraiterman wrote:
Brief update on the shell gas station on Erie and 12th. Spoke to a construction worker earlier, it's going to be a new shell with a drive thru McDonald's. Exciting, no?

What's it gonna be called: Get Gas, Get Gas!

Posted on: 2015/6/27 13:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/28 22:07
Group:
Registered Users
Brief update on the shell gas station on Erie and 12th. Spoke to a construction worker earlier, it's going to be a new shell with a drive thru McDonald's. Exciting, no?

Posted on: 2015/6/27 3:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

JcDevil wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

It's almost cute to see all these new business owners come to town with such high hopes and unrealistic timeframes. With the exception of Talde, I can't remember ANY business that has succeeded in opening on (or, even close to) their initially announced opening date. I really do wonder how Talde was able to do what no one else has been able to do.

I mean, after you've opened multiple restaurants in the regulatory hellhole that is NYC, I'd assume that JC was comparatively a walk in the park for those guys.

More likely, the fact that they are on TV played a role in them getting star treatment and avoiding the delays...

We seldom agree on much, but on this I think you are 100% correct. Regardless, it is such a shame. Lots of people cobble together life savings and family loans to take a chance on a business or restaurant, only to run into the nightmare of endless inspections and the other shenanigans of the JC Buildings Department.

Posted on: 2015/6/26 22:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Pebble wrote:
Quote:

JcDevil wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

It's almost cute to see all these new business owners come to town with such high hopes and unrealistic timeframes. With the exception of Talde, I can't remember ANY business that has succeeded in opening on (or, even close to) their initially announced opening date. I really do wonder how Talde was able to do what no one else has been able to do.

I mean, after you've opened multiple restaurants in the regulatory hellhole that is NYC, I'd assume that JC was comparatively a walk in the park for those guys.

More likely, the fact that they are on TV played a role in them getting star treatment and avoiding the delays...

they basically admitted as much, at least as far as the apartment renovations go.

the cousin who lives upstairs was profiled about his fancy apartment, and mentions in the article that the building inspector laughed at his plans to put a shipping container on the roof.

hey, guess what's on the roof!

Posted on: 2015/6/26 20:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/9/5 18:27
From Bergen Hill
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

JcDevil wrote:
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

Posted on: 2015/6/26 17:54
Dos A Cero

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/5/5 16:03
From PAD
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

bodhipooh wrote:

Posted on: 2015/6/26 15:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/4/26 22:05
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

kdu1218 wrote:
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Agreed, if the owners really wanted to open a business that's an oversaturated, several years late to the trend kind of food category, how about Ramen? There aren't that many places downtown to get that. Burgers there are a'plenty.

I am so puzzled by people who open businesses here sometimes, don't they do research on what's available already in the area?

Always nice to have a storefront occupied versus empty, but variety is key.

1. Spoke to the owner today - more than just burgers. Why not drop by today?

2. I was told that the store next to Gypsy Grill aka Moodie's is going to be a Ramen shop. I had hoped GG would expand into new space and offer more seating, but it is not.

RE: The place next to Gypsy, I talked one of the owners (very friendly guy) as I was walking by today, and he confirmed that it will be ramen as you had heard. The machines to make the ramen arrived a few days ago, and the chef is from Japan. The place will be called Miso, and the owner hopes it will open in mid to late July (though, you know...).

Mid to late July... 2016?

Posted on: 2015/6/25 22:23

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/7/20 20:25
From VVP
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Sommerman wrote:
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
Agreed, if the owners really wanted to open a business that's an oversaturated, several years late to the trend kind of food category, how about Ramen? There aren't that many places downtown to get that. Burgers there are a'plenty.

I am so puzzled by people who open businesses here sometimes, don't they do research on what's available already in the area?

2. I was told that the store next to Gypsy Grill aka Moodie's is going to be a Ramen shop. I had hoped GG would expand into new space and offer more seating, but it is not.

RE: The place next to Gypsy, I talked one of the owners (very friendly guy) as I was walking by today, and he confirmed that it will be ramen as you had heard. The machines to make the ramen arrived a few days ago, and the chef is from Japan. The place will be called Miso, and the owner hopes it will open in mid to late July (though, you know...).

Posted on: 2015/6/25 21:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

EasyGibson wrote:
Not as of 11am today.

I'll report back at noon.

I liked both the previous tenants of that spot. Good guys, good sandwiches. Just a little too slow and the coffee was never good enough. Also, they opened too late to be my morning spot, despite living a couple doors down.

Hopefully the burger joint is solid. I'll probably end up eating there a couple times a week just out of proximity.

about 2 businesses ago, when Rosa was there making Arros con Pollo, that corner was my regular lunch spot.

the last guy who ran it was such a rageaholic I rarely went in. on more than one occasion I'd be approaching the entrance, only to be almost physically repelled by the sound of him inside screaming unspeakable obscenities at his wife.

even when he wasn't losing his mind in neck-vein-popping fashion, Eli seemed to be hovering in the realm of "pre-enraged."

the fellas doing the (endless) construction there now are so friendly. let's hope that extends to the business staff. that corner could use some better juju after The Angriest Deli Man.

Posted on: 2015/6/21 13:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/17 3:49
From Erie
Group:
Registered Users
Not as of 11am today.

I'll report back at noon.

I liked both the previous tenants of that spot. Good guys, good sandwiches. Just a little too slow and the coffee was never good enough. Also, they opened too late to be my morning spot, despite living a couple doors down.

Hopefully the burger joint is solid. I'll probably end up eating there a couple times a week just out of proximity.

Posted on: 2015/6/20 14:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

I blame the length of time it can take to open any establishment in JC, if you're not connected.

when work began at that corner of 1st & Erie, the neighborhood had maybe one place to get a good burger.

glad to know there will be other stuff there, though. is it really open today?

Posted on: 2015/6/19 18:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
this more a what was there question:

work is being done on one of the ugly little houses across from Key Food on Jersey. Do the ugly facades cover up four very old houses or were they infill after a fire or something else. They have the same proportions as the three wooden houses across from GVV on 2nd, and steep roofs usually indicate old: the Gregory row, Rolon's bar.

If these are old buildings, I'd love to see them all restored.

Posted on: 2015/6/19 17:21

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/2 21:46
Group:
Registered Users
"this sounds like they're getting forced out, but aren't they closing because they can make so much more money by renting the building - that they own - to somebody else?"

that's how i understood it so that statement is confusing to me? how can they be forced out when they own the building? they obviously made a decision to close because they felt they could make more money renting to white star but since they're the owners, they're forcing themselves out? wacky

Posted on: 2015/6/18 17:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Harsimus Cove
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

Posted on: 2015/6/17 17:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2015/6/17 16:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/11/7 17:48
From 8th st
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

I_heart_JC wrote:

take-out burger joint. they really classed-up that storefront. I hope they succeed, if only as a reward for making that corner so much prettier than it was when it housed an endless succession of lackluster delis.

I never wish anyone anything but good luck when opening a new place, but I can't see how we could possibly need another place to get a burger in DTJC.

Posted on: 2015/6/17 16:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
La Conguita is officially closing: http://www.laconguita.com/

from the website: "The restaurant business is tough and sometimes you succeed and fail on a daily basis but we hope that our customers know that we always tried our best for you."

this sounds like they're getting forced out, but aren't they closing because they can make so much more money by renting the building - that they own - to somebody else?

Posted on: 2015/6/17 15:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TheGinch wrote:
Quote:

foshizigity00 wrote:
the space on first street at erie, right across from torico??? I peaked in one morning when the back door was open, i could see a bar.. they just layed tiles down on the front stoop. anybody have any more information than that? (sorry if it's already been discussed, i didn't see it)

Spoke to a guy a few weeks back who was working on it, and he said burger joint. I got to peek inside, it's this beautiful wooden counter. Maybe it'll be more of a pick up spot instead of restaurant, like Left Bank?

Posted on: 2015/6/17 15:50

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 24 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017