Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
100 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 100

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: 2 reported killed in car crash in Downtown Jersey City
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/4/12 19:35
From PH
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TheTacoTruck wrote:
Another idea would be to post warning signs as you're crossing that this is a dangerous intersection and to use caution when crossing..

sigh... i wish this were a perfect world where this would work. this morning a man ran in front of my car as i was accelerating to merge onto the turnpike ramp. he was chasing a dollar bill.

Posted on: 2012/1/20 20:37

Re: LETS DEMAND A SAFER GRAND STREET !! Re: 2 reported killed in car crash in Downtown Jersey City
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/7 3:21
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/1/20 19:21

Re: LETS DEMAND A SAFER GRAND STREET !! Re: 2 reported killed in car crash in Downtown Jersey City

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/1/26 15:56
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

TheTacoTruck wrote:
Unfortunately hitting speed bumps at 80 mph would likely turn that suv into an out-of-control, two-ton flying projectile.

unless the road is designed properly so don't get up to that speed...which would be its point!!

Posted on: 2012/1/20 18:48

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/12/22 22:35
Group:
Banned
Unfortunately hitting speed bumps at 80 mph would likely turn that suv into an out-of-control, two-ton flying projectile.

Posted on: 2012/1/20 18:41

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

snowflake20 wrote:
I don't see how it's feasible to put speed bumps on Grand Street. It's a main road that people take to drive to and from the NJ Turnpike. Also, the speed limit is 25, which is pretty low imo.

Its extremely important to get the speed down here on Grand, yes its a main road but its also the homes to tons of families who need to be able to walk to their homes without risking their lives!

Speed is a deciding factor to how serious an accident will be, here is a great example to why we need to stop this madness...

I couldn\'t find a similar chart in English, so this is an explanation from the Swedish government why the speed is so important. Surely we would have been researched it here as well...or???

http://data.riksdagen.se/fil/GY01TU18 ... -ACF2-32B58C950FAF%7D.png

The no of people represent how many are likely to get killed in an accident depending on speed:

50 km/hr equals about 30 miles/hr
30 km/hr equals about 20 miles/hr

an accident at 30miles/hr is researched to kills about 80% of its victims while accidents at 20miles/hr about 90% survives!

The drunk driver of the accident the other day was speeding really fast, probably to 80...and its not the first time on this road!!! If the City have had speed bumbs or anything else if there are other better ways to slow down the traffic...so it would have been impossible for him to get up to that speed -yes, very inconvenient for the drivers in a hurry down on Grand Street - but the children of Fuller and Camelo would maybe have had their fathers today!

Then...
Awareness and respect is also another subject...Im not sure if kids here get any traffic safety and street moral/education or awareness in school. Traffic Safety should be a big subject...in the schools and our homes! But cities need to back this up with awareness campaigns - if the city don\'t show much priority, people wont neither...and safer streets would be a start for sure! and then the whole drinking and driving issue is of course another issue itself, since it\'s not at all as big of a problem in certain other countries our country should make it a huge focus from early early years, but its as with everything...it's about priorities, and then peoples interests and actions for change and improvements!!

Posted on: 2012/1/20 18:32

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
Another idea would be to post warning signs as you're crossing that this is a dangerous intersection and to use caution when crossing. In a perfect world pedestrians wouldn't have to protect themselves from drivers but these signs would be a reminder to look both ways for speeding cars anywhere near that intersection.
In fact, we're going to tape our own signs to those posts today. Hopefully the city can eventually do the same.

Posted on: 2012/1/20 17:51

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Banned
This was a terrible tragedy and our prayers go out to the families of the victims as well as the others who witnessed and did all they could to help.
Cars fly down Grand which is the reason we pulled the tables we used to have out front. With the school and all the children across the street this makes for a very dangerous intersection.
Signs like those for road construction workers that triple the speeding fines on a particularly dangerous stretch of road would be a start. Although they wouldn't help much with people under the influence. (If they didn't see a cab stopped in front of them they probably won't see the signs).

Posted on: 2012/1/20 17:46

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/7/7 3:21
Group:
Registered Users
Does anyone know if anything has been set up in terms of a charitable foundation to help these families?

Posted on: 2012/1/20 16:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Photo - NJ Dept. of Corrections

Herman Chandler

Resized Image

Resized Image

Posted on: 2012/1/20 10:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/8/15 18:42
Group:
Registered Users
2 killed in fiery Jersey City crash after accused impaired driver slams into taxi

January 19, 2012, 6:14 PM
By James Queally/The Star-Ledger

JERSEY CITY ? A brutal accident in Jersey City left two dead and a third person severely burned after a man suspected of being intoxicated rammed his truck into the rear of a taxi cab, causing an explosion that littered the street with car parts, authorities said.

Herman Chandler, 34, of Jersey City, now faces two counts of death-by-auto and one count of driving while intoxicated for his role in the chain reaction crash that killed 41-year-old pedestrian Jairo Camelo and a passenger inside of a taxi near Grove and Grand Streets Wednesday night, according to Hudson County Prosecutor Edward DeFazio and Jersey City police.

?This is really tragic," DeFazio said.

The wreck happened around 9:30 p.m., when Chandler smashed into the rear of the taxi in the 200 block of Grand Street, DeFazio said. The vehicle immediately erupted into flames, and the force of the impact shoved the taxi onto the sidewalk where it struck Camelo, according to DeFazio and a Jersey City police report.

Camelo suffered serious injuries to his body and head and was pronounced dead at Jersey City Medical Center around 11:30 p.m., according to the police report.

NJ Dept. of CorrectionsHerman Chandler

The fire trapped both the driver and passenger of the cab inside the vehicle, and while Jersey City police and firefighters managed to pull them free after only a few minutes, both men suffered severe burns, according to DeFazio and the police report.

The passenger, identified as 44-year-old Jersey City resident James Fuller, died earlier this morning after sustaining "severe burns all over his body," according to DeFazio and the report.

While he was also seriously injured, DeFazio said the driver is expected to survive.

Chandler left the scene of the accident and wound up talking to a Jersey City police officer several blocks away, according to the report. The 34-year-old was arrested immediately after his description was broadcast across the department's radio channels.

Officers said Chandler had glassy eyes and slurred speech when he was arrested, and DeFazio said while Chandler was apparently "under the influence of illegal substances," it was not clear what type of narcotics he was using.

Chandler, who will make his first appearance in Superior Court in Jersey City this afternoon, served at least two years in prison after he was convicted of assaulting a police officer in 2004, according to state Department of Corrections records.

DeFazio said the charges against Chandler could be upgraded when he goes before a grand jury later this year.

Posted on: 2012/1/20 6:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/4/28 15:11
Group:
Registered Users
Resized Image

Jairo Camelo
Senior Associate

Jay has been with MNA since 1998 and has been instrumental in moving the firm forward in both scale and scope of projects. For both Coach and Michael Kors, he helped to develop a new retail concept and then rolled out design to flagship stores in Japan (Coach) and Korea (Kors). His retail experience includes major stores for Polo Ralph Lauren in Georgetown, Korea, Singapore and Japan. Jay also has extensive experience in high end residential renovations, from an award-winning kitchen renovation to a duplex apartment with roof terrace in Manhattan. Jay received his Bachelor of Architecture Degree with honors from Pratt Institute where he was the recipient of a National Talent Search. Jay is licensed to practice architecture in New York State.

Resized Image

Resized Image

(Far right in photos)
Resized Image

Resized Image

http://www.mnarch.com/info/jay.html

Posted on: 2012/1/20 5:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/5 14:18
From Exchange Place
Group:
Registered Users
Police: Man Charged In Deadly Jersey City Accident Was High Or Drunk

January 19, 2012 7:30 PM

JERSEY CITY, N.J. (CBSNewYork) ? A deadly crash has devastated two families in Jersey City and police say the driver responsible was either high or drunk.

It is a terrible loss for the tight-knit family of 44-year-old James Fuller.

?He was a great man. He did everything he could for his family,? Fuller?s wife, Debra, told CBS 2′s Tony Aiello.

Fuller was a passenger in a taxi that was rear-ended by an alleged impaired driver Wednesday night. The impact caused the taxi to burst into flames and slam into 41-year-old pedestrian Jairo ?Jay? Camelo.

?He was a wonderful person, he will be missed. Leaves a great void in our hearts,? Camelo?s cousin, Omar Reyes, said.

Reyes set up a memorial shrine to his cousin, who was a successful architect and married with a 4-year-old son.

?It?s just terrible. We?re devastated, we really are,? Reyes said.

Police have charged the driver, 34-year-old Herman Chandler, who was allegedly driving the black SUV that rear-ended the taxi. Chandler is an ex-con who cops think was drunk or high at the time of the accident.

?Just give me a reason why you had to take my husband from me?? Debra Fuller tearfully asked.

She said she grew worried Wednesday night when her husband didn?t make his usual call to say he?d arrived at work. She and a relative began driving to his job site, when they came across the accident scene.

?And we saw all the lights and we just knew when we saw all the lights,? Fuller said.

At the scene, workers and patrons from a nearby restaurant ran outside with fire extinguishers trying to reach the victims in the flaming taxi.

?It?s horrible. It?s a very big feeling that you have that no matter how much you try to do to get the person out, there?s very little that you could do,? witness Cynthia Cortes said.

See video here:
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/01/1 ... cident-was-high-or-drunk/

Posted on: 2012/1/20 5:03

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/7/18 1:45
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Excellent email JPHurst that explains it perfectly.

Design the road system so that fatal mistakes are less likely, even by drunk drivers.

That doesn't mean we are somehow excusing or encouraging drunk or agressive drivers, rather we are trying to protect ourselves from them.

Robin.

Posted on: 2012/1/20 4:19

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/1/20 3:34
Group:
Registered Users
I witnessed this accident seconds after impact. It was a terrible scene; fireball as the taxi flew across the street and intense flames. But within seconds there were about 6 guys trying to pull the driver from the cab. The flames were out of control and after about a minute they got more intense and things were blowing up. I didn't see the drunk driver at the scene; but I truly commend those guys who risked their lives to attempt to save a stranger. Unfortunately we know what happened, but that was a heroic act. And the drunk driver just ended 3 lives within minutes of his terrible decision. It had nothing to do with the layout of Grand Street, just a scary dramatic accident. I feel terrible for all those families and friends of the victims dealing with such tragic loss. Drive safe

Posted on: 2012/1/20 3:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/10/27 13:13
From The fog.
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

r_pinkowitz wrote:
To my "friends" who tell me I am a party pooper because I will not drink and drive....I?m glad I?m me and not you.

Yeah, these don't sound like friends.

Posted on: 2012/1/20 2:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/6/12 15:20
From Downtown Ex Pat happy in McGinley Sq.
Group:
Registered Users
I've been very concerned something like this would happen, and I am so sad to see that it did. My thoughts are with the families and loved ones.

I agree - we need to fix this. Grand street has soo many dangerous aspects, as you all have so thoroughly addressed. Another huge problem area is Jersey Ave. from Grand to Columbus. Its another artery of this speedway (connecting Grand and CC drive), with drivers racing down it to beat the lights at Montgomery to get to CC Drive. Awhile back, the north part of Jersey Ave. got the full treatment of repainted, bright crosswalks, and some signage, I believe. This stretch of Jersey is totally ignored but is the main connector for those cutting through via Grand to the tunnel. I've been begging the city to add speed bumps and to actually paint the crosswalks at the non-stop light intersections, and install that short stick-like signage that says "stop for pedestrians" (like Hoboken has) in the median divider line at each intersection. With the part, a school, and people crossing at the corners - its horrible. And literally, I have had cars - which were far enough away from the intersection - speed up as they see me go into the crosswalk, ans the SWERVE to miss me, usually cussing me out. Its so bad between those lights - namely at Jersey & Wayne st.

So how many more people have to get hurt or killed before the mayor gets his head straight on this and stops cow-towing to commuters and people that do not live here or bring any (or very little if they go to the mall...) revenue to this place, but rather treat it as their own personal highway cut-through??

Posted on: 2012/1/20 2:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
A friend of a victim on Nj.com wrote there was a third death. A 22yo killed by the blast while helping. Any one hear about him?

Posted on: 2012/1/20 2:42

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
If people obey traffic rules, then yes, there will be hardly any accidents. Most accidents are because someone has done something wrong. They could be wasted on drugs, they could be texting while driving, or they may just have a brain freeze.

A competent traffic layout is designed to make sure that such situations rarely arise. This includes minimizing the areas where pedestrians interact with vehicles likely to be driving at higher speeds. You don't put a crosswalk on a superhighway.

Where you do have pedestrian traffic, you should not have wide, multiple lane streets that serve as de facto highways. If you absolutely need the lanes, then you do as much as reasonably possible to calm traffic.

Cities that don't have such planning have lots of accidents. Places like Orlando, FL rank as the most dangerous pedestrian cities for this reason. If everyone drove only when sober, obeyed the speed limit, stopped at the light, pushed the little button to get a "walk" sign, and crossed only at the crosswalks, then there would be hardly any accidents, even in Orlando. But good layouts are designed to mitigate the effects of bad behavior, or deny the opportunity for bad behavior to manifest itself in the first place.

It is very possible that the driver here was so intoxicated that, even if he were in the middle of Times Square traffic in a rush hour, he would have floored his vehicle at 85 mph. But I doubt it. Most likely he came off Pacific Avenue or down from the Junction, and picked up speed because the road layout invites it. When he reaches downtown, he's still at that speed.

Again, he may have been so wasted that better traffic light configuration or a narrowing of the lanes wouldn't have deterred him. Yet perhaps when he reached a more visible bottleneck, he would have slowed down enough. If not enough to prevent an accident, then enough so that the impact didn't cause the cab to burst into flames and fly across the street. And if not in this case, then less egregious violators would.

Grand Street is a disaster. The disaster was remarkably aggravated, not mitigated, when people moved into Liberty Harbor. The city removed the parking on both sides, opening up the lanes, just as people were moving into the buildings to create a residential community.

At the time, city planners said that this was done because the increased traffic resulting from LH demanded it. Never mind that at every community meeting discussing the issue, there was unanimous opposition from the residents of Gulls Cove and Liberty Harbor. Never mind that the developers in this area are now broke and the developments that the city so eagerly tax abated will probably not be completed for decades (and yes, I live in one of those buildings with a tax abatement, so what).

Now we are being told that this is necessary so residents from Lafayette can access Grand from Pacific Avenue, and will in fact be FURTHER aggravated by extending Jersey Avenue. But we all know that the marginal benefit to Lafayette is dwarfed by the people getting off the Turnpike to take a shortcut to the tunnel. Even after exit 14C was rerouted from Grand to Columbus, people still get off early and take Grand. Why? BECAUSE THE LAYOUT OF GRAND INVITES IT.

This was brought to the attention of city officials many times, and all they did was add a few parking spots on the south side of Grand but reconfigure the lanes to allow continued high speed driving...er, "traffic flow"...down Grand. They were only added after Peter Mocco asked for it so there would be some value added to the townhouses and additional access to the Grand Street retail/commercial (which he still can't rent out anyway). Because in the end, that's the only type of concerns the city really listens to.

The perpetrator will go to jail for a long time. But he's not the only one responsible. Plenty of us told the city to do something, and it didn't. Not because it couldn't, but because it didn't care to.

Posted on: 2012/1/20 2:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/11/16 18:32
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Quote:

snowflake20 wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Too low? With 25mph you get an average around 30-35mph from drivers right now. I drive the speed limit yet all around me people are speeding and zipping back and forth. If you up the speed limit you will simply up the average mph to about 50-60mph. #OOPS# that! It's time to "calm" the traffic, step up enforcement and give children, old folks and everyone else a chance to walk the streets safely.

Before you start frothing at the mouth, read my god damned post. I said that 25 mph is "pretty low". I never EVER said anything about it being "too low", nor did I say anything about raising the speed limit. Personally, I think 25 mph is perfectly acceptable on Grand Street. The people who are driving recklessly in JC are not the ones who obey the speed limit or traffic signals.

Sorry, it read differently. I'm glad we agree.

Thanks, no problem. Obviously this tragedy is making everyone very upset and I think everyone is in agreement that we all need to be careful when driving and walking in JC.

Posted on: 2012/1/20 2:20

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

snowflake20 wrote:
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:
Too low? With 25mph you get an average around 30-35mph from drivers right now. I drive the speed limit yet all around me people are speeding and zipping back and forth. If you up the speed limit you will simply up the average mph to about 50-60mph. #OOPS# that! It's time to "calm" the traffic, step up enforcement and give children, old folks and everyone else a chance to walk the streets safely.

Before you start frothing at the mouth, read my god damned post. I said that 25 mph is "pretty low". I never EVER said anything about it being "too low", nor did I say anything about raising the speed limit. Personally, I think 25 mph is perfectly acceptable on Grand Street. The people who are driving recklessly in JC are not the ones who obey the speed limit or traffic signals.

Sorry, it read differently. I'm glad we agree.

Posted on: 2012/1/20 2:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Vigilante wrote:

Posted on: 2012/1/20 2:11

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/15 1:13
From Leashless Glory.
Group:
Banned
Quote:

snowflake20 wrote:
Quote:

johanna wrote:
to answer Snowflake20...the lanes on Grand are completely ridicilous - lanes are switching left and right, and there is no parking options on one side making it impossible for those residents just let someone out or...even just move in without risking their lives...basically all cars swishes by almost hitting eachother every day and its just a matter of time until another serious accident happen here. when busses and trucks fly you by, you almost fall over...and walking with little kids and strollers in winter is basically impossible without literally risking your and their life everyday! in europe (and maybe some more sophisticated areas in this country?) there are so many smart street safety protocolls ...they should at least start with proper signs, not the crappy ones people dont pay attention too...and lowering the speed limit along with up to date speed bumps...more traffic cops would help on this street also, or cheaper some speed recording device with video capturing any speeding!! there are also really smart street lights that go red automatically long before the cars can try to make the yellow...in other words many different proven ways to save lives!!

Quote:

What sort of safety measures should JC do? I am sort of at a loss, because it's not like there isn't a red light at every intersection on Grand Street, the speed limit is 25 mph...Even still the guy was driving something like 70 mph and was high. How do you prevent something like that from happening?

The whole thing is just awful.

I don't see how it's feasible to put speed bumps on Grand Street. It's a main road that people take to drive to and from the NJ Turnpike. Also, the speed limit is 25, which is pretty low imo.

Posted on: 2012/1/20 1:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Andy wrote:
The problem is that no one obeys the speed limit, some don't stop at the red lights, and people like Herman Chandler probably wouldn't even pull over for a cop (if there were any doing traffic enforcement). The lane shifting argument doesn't hold any water...if people drove the speed limit, it would be easy and safe to negotiate a calm lane change when necessary. At double the posted limit, people panic when they discover that they're in a left-turn only lane and do stupid and dangerous shit to compensate. It's like the wild farking west.

Andy, ITA and this is what I was trying to say in my post. The problem here isn't the speed limit or lack of speed bumps or even the lane shifts. Again, if you are driving 25 mph, the lane shifts won't cause any accidents, and there are markings in the lanes which tell you what to do when the lanes move over to the left.

The issue is that no one obeys the traffic rules that are in place in JC. That includes drivers and pedestrians. I actually had to slam on my brake today because a grandpa stepped into the street holding the hand of a 2 year old when my light was green and he had a "Don't Walk" signal. Had he did this when there was a driver who was not paying attention or driving 70 mph, he probably would have gotten hit by a car.

And I have to hazard to guess that if there WAS a cop on Grand Street, he wouldn't been able to stop Herman Chandler and who knows, that guy might have sped away from the police car at a higher speed and caused even more damage. The guy was high and driving. No amount of speed bumps or lower speed limits or even traffic cameras would have prevented a man who is high on drugs with impaired judgment from hurting and killing innocent bystanders.

Posted on: 2012/1/20 1:05

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/10/20 17:57
Group:
Registered Users
The problem is that no one obeys the speed limit, some don't stop at the red lights, and people like Herman Chandler probably wouldn't even pull over for a cop (if there were any doing traffic enforcement). The lane shifting argument doesn't hold any water...if people drove the speed limit, it would be easy and safe to negotiate a calm lane change when necessary. At double the posted limit, people panic when they discover that they're in a left-turn only lane and do stupid and dangerous shit to compensate. It's like the wild farking west.

Posted on: 2012/1/20 0:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

johanna wrote:
to answer Snowflake20...the lanes on Grand are completely ridicilous - lanes are switching left and right, and there is no parking options on one side making it impossible for those residents just let someone out or...even just move in without risking their lives...basically all cars swishes by almost hitting eachother every day and its just a matter of time until another serious accident happen here. when busses and trucks fly you by, you almost fall over...and walking with little kids and strollers in winter is basically impossible without literally risking your and their life everyday! in europe (and maybe some more sophisticated areas in this country?) there are so many smart street safety protocolls ...they should at least start with proper signs, not the crappy ones people dont pay attention too...and lowering the speed limit along with up to date speed bumps...more traffic cops would help on this street also, or cheaper some speed recording device with video capturing any speeding!! there are also really smart street lights that go red automatically long before the cars can try to make the yellow...in other words many different proven ways to save lives!!

Quote:

What sort of safety measures should JC do? I am sort of at a loss, because it's not like there isn't a red light at every intersection on Grand Street, the speed limit is 25 mph...Even still the guy was driving something like 70 mph and was high. How do you prevent something like that from happening?

Posted on: 2012/1/20 0:42

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users

Quote:

Posted on: 2012/1/20 0:38

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/8 17:09
Group:
Registered Users
Snowflake - most cities/suburban areas with even the slightest bit of competence either narrow the roads or put in speed deterring bumps/humps where they want people to drive at a sane speed. And yes the humps are used on roads with 25MPH speed limits.

Posted on: 2012/1/20 0:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

johanna wrote:
i have created a facebook page called JERSEY CITY STREET SAFETY - lets grow this page fast - and join together to demand that this city take responsibility for these outrageously low safety standards and improve this before more people are killed! Im hoping we can put together a petition, and even a demonstration...and hope you will join!?

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jersey- ... y/235528706524533?sk=wall

Posted on: 2012/1/20 0:14

LETS DEMAND A SAFER GRAND STREET !! Re: 2 reported killed in car crash in Downtown Jersey City

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
i have created a facebook page called JERSEY CITY STREET SAFETY - lets grow this page fast - and join together to demand that this city take responsibility for these outrageously low safety standards and improve this before more people are killed! Im hoping we can put together a petition, and even a demonstration...and hope you will join!?

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jersey- ... y/235528706524533?sk=wall

Posted on: 2012/1/20 0:05

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2021/10/2 19:00
From Jersey Cxxx
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Andy wrote:
I just don't think people like Herman Chandler are sensitive to deterrent strategies. We're taking about a man who did time for disarming a cop (I looked it up). We're talking about a man who, while intoxicated, blew through a red light in a residential area at high speed, killed two people and proceeded to leave the scene of the "accident".

That said, I appreciate the spirit of your post...this tragedy aside, the driving culture here is dangerous and people need to be reigned in.

+1

"The driver of the black GMC Envoy, Herman Chandler, was charged with death by auto, DWI, driving with a suspended license and reckless driving, police said. DeFazio said that Chandler, 34, of Wegman Parkway in Jersey City, was driving "well over the speed limit" when he struck the taxi. Chandler then walked away from the crash, witnesses told police.

Posted on: 2012/1/19 22:45

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017