Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
118 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 118

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Jersey City makes plans for new western waterfront neighborhood along Hackensack River
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/28 23:29
From Right here!
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

CSXrailfan wrote:
Does the hackensack waterfront have significant flooding issues? I thought storm surge was already tempered by the Narrows.

There was significant flooding during Sandy. County Village, which is literally across the street does have issues during heavy storms & I would venture a guess that anything built on the riverside would have a potential for flooding of some type.

Posted on: 2015/9/3 23:34

Re: Jersey City has big plans for 100 acres on West Side along Hackensack River
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/21 23:34
Group:
Registered Users
We don't need more density in this city where there is unreliable mass transit.

Posted on: 2015/9/3 22:01

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/24 18:05
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

VanVorster wrote:
This sounds great and might give it a more college town feel like Rutgers.

Yeah that area will be nice once complete like a well-planned mini city within a city. It has been in the works for what seems like forever but it is finally starting. People never thought Society Hill would be built it also took a long time to get going but once it started it took off with phases 1, 2, and 3. All kinds of delays . It was originally going to be unattached 2 family houses like Country Village but the developer backed out and Hovanian stepped in and built SH.

Quote:
hero69 wrote:
I am amazed that a new dorm costs $50 million...with Bayfront being so close to Newark airport, it's a shame they don't build a bridge over the Hackensack river and have the light rail go to newark

I think I posted this before but there was/is talk about extending the LR to Newark Airport. If you look at one of the drawings on the Bayfront website the one with the wind mills you can see a bridge carrying LR cars over the water. If you do a satellite map of Culver and rt 440 look at the water behind the Toyota property. You can still see the outline of the old railroad bridge in the water maybe they will revive it?

Another thing when SH was being planned and sold a big selling point was that the LR was going to go down to the old Roosevelt Stadium Drive-In. They were going to build a huge Park and Ride lot on the site along with a LR station. Those plans died but they seem to have resurfaced again with Bayfront.

Posted on: 2015/9/3 21:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/3/22 21:14
Group:
Registered Users
This sounds great and might give it a more college town feel like Rutgers.

Posted on: 2015/9/3 16:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City building boom coming to NJCU campus with $350M plan

By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal
on September 03, 2015 at 10:21 AM, updated September 03, 2015 at 10:40 AM

As Sue Henderson begins her fourth year as New Jersey City University's president, she's embarking on the school's biggest project in years, a $350 million expansion that aims to transform the West Side neighborhood surrounding the university.

jj piece..

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... art_2box_hudson_index.ssf

Posted on: 2015/9/3 15:33

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

neverleft wrote:
August 31, 2015 update: the two projects are really moving along. The NJCU dorm building mentioned below is up already. It is the area next to the rt 440 Home Depot. Across the highway is the Bayfront project. The old JCMUA buildings are gone as is the old cement processing plant. They are compacting the soil with huge piles of dirt. There are cool looking panels/signs along the fence with pictures and words about the Bayfront project. ?A half mile of waterfront housing, with retail, restaurants, and office space?.

Bayfront link: http://www.bayfrontjerseycity.com/

NCJU West Campus info: http://www.njcu.edu/west-campus/

(It is amazing how fast the dorm building went up?yes it is prefab but still amazing. )

May 2015: NJCU breaks ground for new $50 million dormitory at 'West Campus'

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... ide_student_resident.html
I am amazed that a new dorm costs $50 million...with Bayfront being so close to Newark airport, it's a shame they don't build a bridge over the Hackensack river and have the light rail go to newark

Posted on: 2015/8/31 21:59

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
August 31, 2015 update: the two projects are really moving along. The NJCU dorm building mentioned below is up already. It is the area next to the rt 440 Home Depot. Across the highway is the Bayfront project. The old JCMUA buildings are gone as is the old cement processing plant. They are compacting the soil with huge piles of dirt. There are cool looking panels/signs along the fence with pictures and words about the Bayfront project. ?A half mile of waterfront housing, with retail, restaurants, and office space?.

Bayfront link: http://www.bayfrontjerseycity.com/

NCJU West Campus info: http://www.njcu.edu/west-campus/

(It is amazing how fast the dorm building went up?yes it is prefab but still amazing. )

May 2015: NJCU breaks ground for new $50 million dormitory at 'West Campus'

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/20 ... ide_student_resident.html

Posted on: 2015/8/31 19:57

Hide User information
Last Login :
2015/2/27 13:11
From Hudson County
Group:
Registered Users
Did the city and honeywell hire a brokerage firm to handle bayfront?

Posted on: 2015/2/18 0:51

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

NewportNJ wrote:
First of all, Newport was my FORMER home, got the hell outta Dodge with 6 figure gains!

Secondly, Newport was merely a railroad terminal, not a chromium producing chem manufacturing plant.

Google is your friend, my friend.

It sure is?Newport was built on 147 parcels of land that contained factories, refineries, rail road yards.

Why Two Sites in Jersey City Received Quick Cleanups of Chrome

By ROBERT HANLEY, Special to The New York Times
Published: July 18, 1989

JERSEY CITY? While poisonous chromium leaches undisturbed toward the surface of neighborhoods across this city, the contaminated sites of two large developments have undergone quick exclusive cleanups.

The complexes, Newport City and Society Hill, are major elements of a waterfront renaissance. State officials separated both cleanups from a broader neighborhood study that was mired in dispute and delay from its start in 1985 until it was finished last spring, two years late.

The approach has enabled construction to start at Newport City and Society Hill while leaving homes, work sites and people exposed to toxic chromium over the more than five years the authorities have known of the danger.

http://www.nytimes.com/1989/07/18/nyr ... k-cleanups-of-chrome.html

Posted on: 2015/1/20 16:20

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/12 19:50
Group:
Registered Users
First of all, Newport was my FORMER home, got the hell outta Dodge with 6 figure gains!

Secondly, Newport was merely a railroad terminal, not a chromium producing chem manufacturing plant.

Google is your friend, my friend.

Posted on: 2015/1/20 14:39

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:
NewportNJ wrote:
Location Location Location.
Doesn't matter if the clean up is 100%, or 200%, if it is a fact that the property is on what it used to be contaminated land? people will see it as such. I know people in Society Hill who couldn't wait to get the hell outta Dodge ASAP.

Let me guess because they were glowing green right? SH is fine I know plenty of people who have lived there from the start. Gee almost 25 years and still no glow. It is still one of the most successful developments in JC.

Just out of curiosity ?your user name is NewportNJ do you live there? You do know it was/is one of the most contaminated properties in Jersey City right? . Also there were many questions on how and if the the contamination was fully cleaned up in Newport. Just as Lou Manzo or do some reseach.

Posted on: 2015/1/19 22:23

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/2/12 19:50
Group:
Registered Users
Location Location Location.

Doesn't matter if the clean up is 100%, or 200%, if it is a fact that the property is on what it used to be contaminated land? people will see it as such. I know people in Society Hill who couldn't wait to get the hell outta Dodge ASAP.

Posted on: 2015/1/19 21:53

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
I saw Sommerman asked about the rt 440 Bayfront project on the Radio Shack RIP thread. So I will throw an update onto this thread. Below is my original post with three links to the three rt 440 projects that I am aware of. They will span rt 440 from Society Hill to Culver Avenue.

I have also added two new links that I found: A link that gives up to date information on the rt 440 remediation progress scheduled to be completed in 2016. A new Bayfront link with drawings from an architect firm named Minno & Wasko.

Oh yeah and they have started to demolish the rt 440 JCMUA, DPW and JCIA buildings since they moved to the new Linden Avenue complex.

A really fantastic project!!

Quote:
This is what I got from reading the JJ over the years. There are really three projects for the ?West side?.

Bay Front is from Society Hill down to Culver both sides of rt 440.

www.bayfrontjerseycity.com

New Jersey City University?West Campus project (mixed in with Bay Front) over by the rt 440 Home Depot .

https://www.njcu.edu/west-campus/

NJCU master plan (.pdf)

The new West Side project is across rt 440 across from the MUA and Toyota Dealer. This one is new haven?t seen it mentioned before.

City of Jersey City - West side plan (.pdf)

Interesting remediation progress map and photos of work. (I always wondered what was going on behind the green door...oops I mean fence) Also has a good history of the project.

http://www.jerseycitychromiumcleanup.com/progress/

Bayfront
JERSEY CITY, NEW JERSEY
Bayfront Redevelopment LLC

Bayfront is slated to become one of Jersey City?s newest waterfront communities. The site is located on the east side of Jersey City and ideally situated to take advantage of views to the Hackensack River and Newark Bay. The 100 acre development will have 23 acres of open green space; about 4-5 times the amount normally found in a typical Jersey City urban tract of the same size. The project will be built in phases, and the 1st 18-acre phase will include 6 blocks of residential and mixed use buildings and 8 acres of public green space that will offer waterfront walkways and passive park areas.

100 Acre site, 23 acres open space
4,200- 8,100 residential dwelling units
200,000 ? 600,000 sq ft Retail space
700,000 ? 1,000,000 sq ft office space
Includes a future transit Station (Hudson-Bergen Light Rail)

http://www.minnowasko.com/mw/bayfront/

Posted on: 2015/1/19 16:05

Edited by neverleft on 2015/1/19 16:28:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

neverleft wrote:

This is what I got from reading the JJ over the years. There are really three projects for the ?West side?.

New Jersey City University?West Campus project (mixed in with Bay Front) over by the rt 440 Home Depot . (click on the drop down in the green bar for a better description)

http://www.njcu.edu/programs/westcampus/aboutus.html

The new West Side project is across rt 440 across from the MUA and Toyota Dealer. This one is new haven?t seen it mentioned before.

West side plan (.pdf)

I just hope this actually gets done and it is not another pull the rug out from under the JC residents kind of election year bs deal. Like the Journal Square Towers grand announcement before the May 2009 election.

It's a nice vision for the future but if it's done in phases without any setbacks it will be at least 20 years before the area will look like the illustrations.

Posted on: 2013/2/8 23:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Nafco wrote: Quote:

is this project happening in phases? It looks a lot smaller on the area map than i thought it was originally.

New Jersey City University?West Campus project (mixed in with Bay Front) over by the rt 440 Home Depot . (click on the drop down in the green bar for a better description)

http://www.njcu.edu/programs/westcampus/aboutus.html

West side plan (.pdf)

I just hope this actually gets done and it is not another pull the rug out from under the JC residents kind of election year bs deal. Like the Journal Square Towers grand announcement before the May 2009 election.

Posted on: 2013/2/8 16:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/4/27 19:59
From journal square
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

neverleft wrote:
Jersey City Planning Board backs redevelopment for area between Route 440, West Side Avenue

By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal
on February 06, 2013 at 10:40 AM,
updated February 06, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Thirty acres on Jersey City?s West Side just east of Route 440 would become a redevelopment area with a new street grid and new residential and commercial development under a plan given initial approval by the Planning Board last night.

The Route 440/Culver Redevelopment Plan would allow the city to take industrial properties in the area by eminent domain if the owners do not redevelop the properties within the next five years.

Full JJ piece?

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... ard_bac.html#incart_river

And this is the .pdf of the plan, check out the maps at the end of where the light rail will extend too. When the light rail was first planned it was going to go down Culver. Looks like that idea is coming back.

West Side Plan

is this project happening in phases? It looks a lot smaller on the area map than i thought it was originally.

Posted on: 2013/2/8 13:11

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/5/24 13:03
Group:
Registered Users
I sure do hope this plan takes off sooner rather than later. I'm eager for some good restaurants and other cool shops in my neighborhood. The big ugly green building on 440 needs to go!

Posted on: 2013/2/8 3:28

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/9/4 14:31
Group:
Registered Users
The city should invest in renewable energy such as a large solar and wind farm. This could at least make some beneficial use of contaminated property without exposing residents to potential health problems

Posted on: 2013/2/7 17:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Jersey City Planning Board backs redevelopment for area between Route 440, West Side Avenue

By Terrence T. McDonald/The Jersey Journal
on February 06, 2013 at 10:40 AM,
updated February 06, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Thirty acres on Jersey City?s West Side just east of Route 440 would become a redevelopment area with a new street grid and new residential and commercial development under a plan given initial approval by the Planning Board last night.

The Route 440/Culver Redevelopment Plan would allow the city to take industrial properties in the area by eminent domain if the owners do not redevelop the properties within the next five years.

Full JJ piece?

http://www.nj.com/jjournal-news/index ... ard_bac.html#incart_river

And this is the .pdf of the plan, check out the maps at the end of where the light rail will extend too. When the light rail was first planned it was going to go down Culver. Looks like that idea is coming back.

West Side Plan

Posted on: 2013/2/6 17:52

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
as if many people don't already live on de-contaminated land. its time for people at the wsj to get over themselves.

Posted on: 2012/5/22 14:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/11/26 22:12
Group:
Registered Users
Cleanup Mapped for N.J. Toxic Site

The Wall Street Journal
By LAURA KUSISTO
May 21, 2012, 9:41 p.m. ET
JERSEY CITY?Not long ago, city officials here and Honeywell International Inc. HON +0.75% were at war over the fate of more than 100 acres of chromium-contaminated land on the city's gritty western edge.

Now they are development partners.

The city and the Morris Township-based technology and manufacturing conglomerate want to develop an old industrial dumping ground into a sprawling new neighborhood called Bayfront on the shore of the Hackensack River.

Its up to 8,100 residential units, one million square feet of office space and 20 acres of parks and plazas are still far from reality. Ground won't break until 2016 at the earliest, and no one expects the project to be finished before 2040.

But it took an important step forward last week when NJ Transit began an environmental assessment of a crucial element of the plan: extending the Light Rail 3,700 feet to connect Bayfront to the rest of the region's public transit.

NJ Transit said Monday it is behind the project. "An extension of the light rail to this area would both support the development and address traffic congestion along Route 440," a nearby highway, said spokeswoman Nancy Snyder.

To be sure, Bayfront's success is uncertain. Transit authorities say the Light Rail extension would cost about $213 million, it would cost the city and Honeywell more than $80 million to move two large facilities to make way for the project, and Honeywell will have to spend $500 million to clean up the site. It isn't clear that anyone will want to live on contaminated land in an industrial neighborhood.

The project's progress will be closely watched?locally as a measure of another Jersey City attempt at revitalization and nationally as a test of Honeywell's ability to make it in the real-estate business under its unusual deal with the city.

"The reality is most industrial companies don't want to be in real-estate business. It's typically not a comfortable fit," said Mary Hashem, an executive vice president at Brownfield Partners, a real-estate development firm that specializes in contaminated sites.

Honeywell?primarily a maker of aerospace, building control and safety products?has been involved before in the redevelopment of several contaminated sites around the country, including Inner Harbor in Baltimore and El Segundo, Calif.

Participating in the redevelopment could help improve its image in the community and potentially make back some fraction of the cost of the clean up. They would also be able to oversee the redevelopment to make sure it is done responsibly.

Rick Kriva, Honeywell's vice president for global real estate, said the main motive of the company?which has 1,700 employees in New Jersey?is to help rejuvenate Jersey City. "Honeywell is an important part of the community. We feel that this is the right thing to do," Mr. Kriva said in an interview.

The project has drawn criticism, including from Jersey City Mayor Jerramiah Healy's potential re-election opponent, Steven Fulop, a city councilman.

In the current economic and political environment, Mr. Fulop said the project is unlikely to get the funding it needs from cash-strapped state and federal governments for the Light Rail component. He said it would likely have to be scaled back.

"Nobody in the city wants to continue to see it be vacant, but at some point the city is going to have to potentially recalibrate how it's approaching that development with Honeywell," said Mr. Fulop.

The site's history of contamination dates back to the late 19th century, when wetlands were filled in by chromium waste from a nearby plant owned by Mutual Chemical Co., which made the substance used as an anti-corrosive in shipbuilding, among other purposes. The plant closed in 1954.

The slag was covered over with gravel. On top of the slag were built the Valley Fair Department Store, a drive-in movie theater and other small businesses. The trouble became clear in the 1980s when the walls of the department store began to crack from the chromium heaving underneath.

The buildings were vacated, and the site largely has been abandoned ever since. Honeywell took over in the late 1990s when it merged with the site's former custodian, Allied Signal, an equipment manufacturer.

In 2005, the city decided to make a move, suing Honeywell to clean up the site and for up to $80 million in lost tax revenue. They settled in 2008 after agreeing to develop the area together.

"This is something that started out as litigation and a dispute, where we were simply seeking to compel Honeywell to clean up this chromium and to get this revenue," said William Matsikoudis, an attorney for the city. "It evolved into this public-private partnership to create a transformative development on our city's west side."

Now, the city and Honeywell are working out the project's design, which would include two large parks. When the site is sold to developers to carry out those plans, they would split the estimated $100 million to $300 million: 60% for Honeywell and 40% for the city, based on how much land each contributed.

Mr. Healy, Jersey City's mayor, talks of creating a "green coast" on the city's west side that would rival what he sees as the successful revitalization of the city's east side.

The site is one of the largest and most polluted of dozens of chromium-contaminated sites in Jersey City's 15 square miles.

"What was once highly toxic brownfields will become?residential neighborhoods, significant open space and community features," Mr. Healy said in a statement.

Environmentalists see the project?should it ever be completed?as a boon not only for the city but for the Hackensack River, a neglected body of water with a history of heavy pollution.

"It's going to be a real improvement over the broken-down, post-industrial landscape that's dotted the river there for the last 30 years," Bill Sheehan, of the Hackensack Riverkeeper, an environmental group.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001 ... 04577418612818490738.html

Posted on: 2012/5/22 14:13

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
Thanks, Bayside Park looks pretty good, it took a while but they did a great job. The webmaster jump the gun and threw it inside this thread, don't know why?????

Posted on: 2012/3/30 15:21

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
Things got screwed up here. Tylers thread about Bayside Park was moved to this thread.

The original thread was about the future Bay Front development ?from Society Hill down to the around the Hudson Mall along 440. www.bayfrontjerseycity.com

Bayside Park is in Greenville it was just refurbished. (cool old picture in that Bayside link)

The talk about a Wal-Mart?or Costco is for the old PJP landfill property across from Wonder Bagel / Holy Name Cemetery on Sip and 440. Next to Lincoln Park. Long history with that PJP property?Google it?

The land was burning underground for years and years , it was an old dump. When I was a kid every once and a while the fire would erupt on the surface. Strange it was smoking ALL of the time and no one gave too shi*s back then.

Posted on: 2012/3/30 15:10

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/3/21 20:55
From The Heights
Group:
Registered Users
I thought the plan was for a Walmart or Costco on that site?

Is it the same site or was that plan for a different stretch of 440?

Posted on: 2012/3/30 14:58

Re: Bayside Park is finally open after a huge renovation.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/12/26 15:30
From GV Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/3/30 3:13

Bayside Park is finally open after a huge renovation.
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/9/9 18:52
From Bayside Park
Group:
Registered Users
It took two years to be completed, I can run again :)

Posted on: 2012/3/30 3:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From jersey city
Group:
Registered Users
They did a great job getting rid of all of the bad dirt. The funny thing about the site was that the plant was across rt 440 at Home Depot . But they stored the waste over at the Drive In site. I said in previous posts they used to give the waste away for free to contractors for fill on projects all over the city and to home owners for fertilizer ?sick!

Excavation of Chrome Ore Processing Residue is Complete

Excavation of chrome ore processing residue or COPR was completed on September 16, 2009. Approximately 1.3 million tons of COPR were removed. Clean fill was brought to the site until the end of the year.

We took extensive precautions to protect the health and safety of the community, our employees and the people who live or work nearby. Dust prevention was a primary goal of the cleanup design and the excavation.

Interesting site?

www.441route440.com

Posted on: 2012/3/1 14:40

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/11/12 15:19
Group:
Banned
In 1982, a ?green stream? and ?yellowish-green plumes? were spotted in the surface water near the dump site. A year later, Honeywell officials observed yellow water discharging into the Hackensack River and said that the site was ?extremely contaminated.? However, Honeywell did nothing to remedy the situation. In 1988, the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection (NJDEP) ordered Honeywell to clean up the site. While a permanent remedy was sought, Honeywell erected a temporary, plastic retaining cap over seventeen acres of the site, and used concrete and asphalt to cover the rest. These measures slowed the discharge rate, but did not prevent all toxic discharges from the site.

Posted on: 2012/3/1 14:02

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Having said that, the West Side extension is an NJT priority

I remember one of the original rail line proposals was to have the line run to the rt. 440 Mall. It really seemed to hurt the purpose of the HBLR to NOT have it go to a major shopping location on the West side of JC.

Posted on: 2012/2/29 20:15

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/11/28 0:04
From New Urbanist Area
Group:
Registered Users
It's a good idea as long as people realize that it may take a while and may not be as luxurious as envisioned. Take a look at Liberty Harbor, that plan was great, but with a downturn in the economy it has been stalled. If a prime area downtown is having trouble developing then it is fair to say Bayfront will take a while as well.

It also is really dependent on the light rail being extended there, and NJT funding for expansion is not so easily forthcoming. Having said that, the West Side extension is an NJT priority (along with Northern Branch to Bergen County).

Posted on: 2012/2/29 19:47

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017