Register now !    Login  
Main Menu
Who's Online
114 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Message Forum)

Members: 0
Guests: 114

more...

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Whats being built?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/1/30 21:43
Group:
Registered Users
what's being built on:
* Columbus between Grove and Barrow on the southern side
* near the light rail near Essex street near the boat slip

Posted on: 2012/1/19 14:57

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
3/7 17:22
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

WhoElseCouldIBe wrote:

The US is doing it's best to crash the USD, too though

Yes, but the saving grace has been that the USA is like a skinny homely looking girl at a dance full of fat women: Compared to the competition (Europe, Japan, etc.), we look good.

The Fed hasn't done QEIII because recently, the Treasury hasn't had too much trouble selling its debt. Euros, yen, and other currencies are being exchanged for dollars. Then those dollars are being placed into 'safe' places like treasuries or bank deposits. That money is not making it into the economy. Deposits have grown so much that some banks are now charging (big depositors) interest instead of paying interest. So in the short term, the world burning down around us has been good for our spending and debt situation. Long term, the world burning down around us isn't so good.

As a result, inflation has been pretty tepid. However, if the economy starts to grow again (4%+ in GDP) watch out. We could see inflation levels not seen since the late 70's early 80's as all those dollars leave the bank and start flowing through the economy.

Posted on: 2012/1/19 14:55

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2019/5/9 22:13
Group:
Registered Users
Are these rentals or sales?

Quote:

SammyTheT wrote:
254 Warren - 50 apartments and 1932 square feet of retail space

Posted on: 2012/1/19 14:29

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/6/15 16:59
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

SammyTheT wrote:

Is there anything actually happening with this? The project has been on and off in some form for about 4 years now.

Posted on: 2012/1/19 14:17

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/16 0:04
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2012/1/19 14:14

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/29 2:14
Group:
Registered Users
Any one knows what's coming up at the corner of Warren and York (right opposite Gotham)? Construction fences are up and looks like the old Lisbon Pizza building is going to be torn down. That is a pretty big sized plot.

Posted on: 2012/1/19 12:24

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/9/29 2:14
Group:
Registered Users
Yep...the Mantra Bar and Lounge.

Posted on: 2012/1/19 12:23

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/1/6 18:15
Group:
Banned
While I was walking by, I noticed there is a new restaurant opening on the ground floor of the building on Washington opposite the post office. Seems like they have a bar and lounge too.

Posted on: 2012/1/19 11:22

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2017/8/3 1:06
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:
Quote:

heights wrote:

I guess that will bring J.C. in full circle back to where it began. It's funny to hear of China, a communist country, having wage issues.

My wife's job requires her to deal a lot with China. Her employer has moved a lot of its manufacturing out of China (garments & textiles) due to the deteriorating situation there:

1. Inflation: The Chi-Coms have been printing money like mad to keep their economy going. China misallocated the billions in trade they received in order to keep the massive population of poor employed. Through their basically government run banking sector, they have loaned money to:

Build cities that nobody live in.
Build malls that have no stores
Subsidies inefficient state run factories that produce low quality products that nobody wants.
Build high speed rail lines that are not needed and kill their passenger.
Build sky-scrapers with steel that weighs a lot less than steel should (next major earthquake that hits a place like Shanghai will be 'interesting' to say the least).

As trade slows, the Chi-Coms just printed money to keep the whole circus running. As a result, workers wages no longer cover the basics like food. Factory owners are finding out they cannot deliver goods at prices quoted (garments are ordered over a year in advance) because they have to keep raising wages. Often, after holidays, workers simply don't come back to work, causing delays in delivery.

2. Currency Controls: The elite are exchanging Reminbi for dollars, euros, yen, and gold and leaving the country with it (same thing happened in Thailand in 1997 right before the collapse). The government has now instituted currency controls to stem the tide of foreign reserves leaving the country. As a result, the factories can't import the trims and other items they need to complete the orders (they have to pay for them with dollars, yen, euros, etc.). There is no way they can pay for the stuff. A work-around has been to setup shell companies in Hong Kong, where the currency controls don't apply.

3. The place is poisoned: China became a leader in delivering refined silicon (for solar PV panels) by skipping an expensive step... heating up the waste product (silicon tetrachloride) to 1,800 F to recycle it. Instead, it gets dumped around the plants, killing everything (it breaks down into hydrochloric acid). This has been repeated in other areas (mining). China is running out of potable water and arable land. Parts of their agriculture sector is now pollinating trees BY HAND! They managed to kill off every pollinating insect in the area. Without real tort law and property rights, a farmer sees his fields poisoned and he has no recourse.

China is going to have a very hard economic landing...

The US is doing it's best to crash the USD, too though

Posted on: 2012/1/18 4:19

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/7/19 15:21
Group:
Registered Users
So the space on the corner of Marin and Morgan is officially a KRE Management office. Lame.

Posted on: 2012/1/18 3:31

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

heights wrote:

I guess that will bring J.C. in full circle back to where it began. It's funny to hear of China, a communist country, having wage issues.

My wife's job requires her to deal a lot with China. Her employer has moved a lot of its manufacturing out of China (garments & textiles) due to the deteriorating situation there:

1. Inflation: The Chi-Coms have been printing money like mad to keep their economy going. China misallocated the billions in trade they received in order to keep the massive population of poor employed. Through their basically government run banking sector, they have loaned money to:

Build cities that nobody live in.
Build malls that have no stores
Subsidies inefficient state run factories that produce low quality products that nobody wants.
Build high speed rail lines that are not needed and kill their passenger.
Build sky-scrapers with steel that weighs a lot less than steel should (next major earthquake that hits a place like Shanghai will be 'interesting' to say the least).

As trade slows, the Chi-Coms just printed money to keep the whole circus running. As a result, workers wages no longer cover the basics like food. Factory owners are finding out they cannot deliver goods at prices quoted (garments are ordered over a year in advance) because they have to keep raising wages. Often, after holidays, workers simply don't come back to work, causing delays in delivery.

2. Currency Controls: The elite are exchanging Reminbi for dollars, euros, yen, and gold and leaving the country with it (same thing happened in Thailand in 1997 right before the collapse). The government has now instituted currency controls to stem the tide of foreign reserves leaving the country. As a result, the factories can't import the trims and other items they need to complete the orders (they have to pay for them with dollars, yen, euros, etc.). There is no way they can pay for the stuff. A work-around has been to setup shell companies in Hong Kong, where the currency controls don't apply.

3. The place is poisoned: China became a leader in delivering refined silicon (for solar PV panels) by skipping an expensive step... heating up the waste product (silicon tetrachloride) to 1,800 F to recycle it. Instead, it gets dumped around the plants, killing everything (it breaks down into hydrochloric acid). This has been repeated in other areas (mining). China is running out of potable water and arable land. Parts of their agriculture sector is now pollinating trees BY HAND! They managed to kill off every pollinating insect in the area. Without real tort law and property rights, a farmer sees his fields poisoned and he has no recourse.

China is going to have a very hard economic landing...

Posted on: 2012/1/16 16:47

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:

The other issue that bother me a bit is Jersey City is redeveloping with the focus geared on towards residential and retail (with the exception of the new warehouse just South of the Skyway). People won't live their if the jobs are far from Jersey City.
I would like to see some development going towards manufacturing, tech, and other heavy industry that attracts higher end research, skilled labor, and engineering jobs. IMO, The United States is about to see a Renaissance of sorts in manufacturing (in particular chemical) because energy prices are headed for a crash and overseas labor costs are rising rapidly (China is having serious wage issues). Given that J.C. is surrounded by ports, rail, highways, universities, a skilled work force, and a high density consumer market, it would be nice to leverage these advantages to attract some non-residential redevelopment.

Posted on: 2012/1/16 15:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Jershar wrote:
How about getting rid of Hudson Mall and building outlets or higher quality stores.

"if you build it they will come"

The people have to come before the good quality stores show up. The people will come if you can:

1. Offer better quality housing at a lower price than surrounding areas, that is still close to their jobs.
2. Provide public transportation This is the advantage cities have over suburbia.. easy commutes and the ability to live well without a car.
3. Low crime. No matter how wonderful an apartment is, no decent person will move there if they think there is a high probability that they will be mugged, robbed, raped, or murdered.

The other issue that bother me a bit is Jersey City is redeveloping with the focus geared on towards residential and retail (with the exception of the new warehouse just South of the Skyway). People won't live their if the jobs are far from Jersey City.

I would like to see some development going towards manufacturing, tech, and other heavy industry that attracts higher end research, skilled labor, and engineering jobs. IMO, The United States is about to see a Renaissance of sorts in manufacturing (in particular chemical) because energy prices are headed for a crash and overseas labor costs are rising rapidly (China is having serious wage issues). Given that J.C. is surrounded by ports, rail, highways, universities, a skilled work force, and a high density consumer market, it would be nice to leverage these advantages to attract some non-residential redevelopment.

Posted on: 2012/1/16 15:22

Hide User information
Last Login :
2012/1/30 17:36
Group:
Registered Users
Not sure what that new building will be. I can tell you what's not being built. The Bayside Redevelopment Project. Whatever happened? I hope some of our politicians invest in the Westside of jersey city so we can get some progress going. Westside of Jersey City is definitely the neglected child in an area that has so much potential. How about getting rid of Hudson Mall and building outlets or higher quality stores.

"if you build it they will come"

Posted on: 2012/1/16 11:32

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/5/9 11:15
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

MDM wrote:

When I first moved into Hudson Country (late 80's), much of Newport was still a no-man's land.

Just for fun.. here is a pick of what the area above the Newport/Pavonia PATH stop looked like in the 70's.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wavz13/4 ... in/set-72157622579761251/

MDM these are wonderful historic pics pf JC, thanks for posting them

Posted on: 2011/12/30 22:54

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2018/9/5 2:01
From Hamilton Park
Group:
Registered Users
Makes you wonder what this place will look like in another 40 years.

Posted on: 2011/12/30 4:08

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/2/18 15:54
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I wonder who would choose to live there ... kind of no man's land. I guess they could walk to Newport to grab the Path?

I guarantee within 20 yrs every lot in this area will have high-rises. Vacant land so close to the city is a blank canvas so to speak.

Every time I drive the back way to Hoboken I think someone is going to make a killing developing these lots. Give it time and watch it unfold. It's a real estate developer's wet dream to invent an entire neighborhood.

If I had a couple million laying around I would be building on these sites.

Keep it coming JC!!

Posted on: 2011/12/30 2:44

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:
I wonder who would choose to live there ... kind of no man's land. I guess they could walk to Newport to grab the Path?

When I first moved into Hudson Country (late 80's), much of Newport was still a no-man's land.

Just for fun.. here is a pick of what the area above the Newport/Pavonia PATH stop looked like in the 70's.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wavz13/4 ... in/set-72157622579761251/

Posted on: 2011/12/29 21:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Snibe wrote:
That area seems like it has massive potential, being that close to the Tunnel for city commuters and the highway ramps for in-state commuters. I know the light rail also passes right by there so I wouldn't be surprised to see another stop added if there's enough development.

There was a proposal 12 to 15 years ago to construct a double tower with a light rail station inside of it, kind of like the Modern hotel at Disney World. That would have been along 18th around Grove Street. That was opposed in part because people on the hill were concerned about losing their views.

Posted on: 2011/12/29 20:13

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hide User information
Last Login :
2013/7/11 13:18
Group:
Registered Users
That area seems like it has massive potential, being that close to the Tunnel for city commuters and the highway ramps for in-state commuters. I know the light rail also passes right by there so I wouldn't be surprised to see another stop added if there's enough development.

Posted on: 2011/12/29 20:06

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

tommyc_37 wrote:

A few things on that:

1. Its a market that is yet to mature. Long term there are big plans to build on the old Van Houtte Chocolate Factory along Hoboken Ave just north and west of this building. That's a mixed use complex that could have a whole lot of units (perhaps as many as 6,000) and retail. Also the Lackawanna warehouse is getting a makeover. So in the short term its sort of like being in the middle of nowhere. Long term though it will probably be in the middle of somewhere.

2. Along those lines, if you commute out to the suburbs -- increasingly common as people move to the city but business lag to catch up with their workforce -- that building isn't too much of a problem because its easy access to the highway west. And again, its really depending on future development filling in around the place.

3. Any of those buildings out there have shuttles to the PATH at rush hour, and while that's not something everyone accepts, its not really uncommon. Plus late at night, its like a $5 cab ride from Hoboken terminal.

Posted on: 2011/12/29 18:58

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2020/9/30 18:46
From Van Vorst Park
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/12/29 17:34

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/4/7 20:03
From Jersey City Heights
Group:
Registered Users

Posted on: 2011/12/29 16:37
...Sometimes I Bleed

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
From Mars
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

Snibe wrote:
I have no answers, just more questions.....

How about on Jersey Ave between 17th and 18th, over by the Exxon, etc. Seems like it's going to be pretty big judging by the size of the crane they have on the lot.

That's 800 Jersey Avenue. That was originally approved as a 6 story residential building. They broke ground back in 2007 and then everything went to hell in the financial markets. Now I believe the new version is a taller red brick loft building.

Posted on: 2011/12/29 15:50

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2023/6/11 23:48
From Western Slope
Group:
Registered Users
Quote:

jcboyz wrote:
West Cost Video is going to be a Social Security Building and the building on Jersey and 18th is going to be a 100+ unit luxury rental building called the Cast Iron Lofts. This is the same developer as the Cliffs Lofts on Paterson Plank. I'm not sure about the grove Point Retail space...

Wow Jersey City is becoming the tenement apartment building mecca lately and again.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenement

Posted on: 2011/12/29 8:16

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2016/10/1 18:03
Group:
Registered Users
There's already a Social Security Building on Kennedy Blvd . Are they moving to a new location?

Posted on: 2011/12/29 5:07

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
After a little more research, it turns out KRE offers retail space and residential space at Grove Point as well as other residential and retail spaces in Jersey City and the tri-state area. Hopefully it's something worthwhile.

Posted on: 2011/12/29 5:04

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2022/5/23 10:53
Group:
Registered Users
Social Security Building where West Cost Video was?
Isnt there already a SS building off Baldwin ave?

Posted on: 2011/12/29 5:00

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
Group:
Registered Users
I walked by and actually looked at the inspection signage. Apparently it's a "KRE management" office unit. I guess another realty office?

Posted on: 2011/12/29 3:49

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hide User information
Last Login :
2014/1/7 17:35
Group:
Banned
West Cost Video is going to be a Social Security Building and the building on Jersey and 18th is going to be a 100+ unit luxury rental building called the Cast Iron Lofts. This is the same developer as the Cliffs Lofts on Paterson Plank. I'm not sure about the grove Point Retail space...

Posted on: 2011/12/29 1:41

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!

LicenseInformation | AboutUs | PrivacyPolicy | Faq | Contact

JERSEY CITY LIST - News & Reviews - Jersey City, NJ - Copyright 2004 - 2017